PDA

View Full Version : My dam a/c

a catered life
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
just told me to go puck my self... :mad: dam a/c just went out and its a 104 outside :cry: and my warranty service just told me 2 days for a repair man. :cry:

al cole'holic
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM
...home warranty or a/c warranty..??
Home warranty co told me they were on 200 call for a/c Saturday :220v:

a catered life
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
got old republic home warranty with a/c and appliance coverage.......just got off phone with them and they already dispatched the order to some company......generally i ask for one special company but right now i'll take anyone as long as they can fix a/c
shit it jumped from 73 to 85 in here quick

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
What we're seeing the most of are the newer "programable GE fan motors"
puking out.
What was recently a $275 easy fix, is now a $1400 fix.
Can't fake it, ya gotta go with proprietary, they got ya by the sack.
Hopefully it's not the case with yours Willie.
They showed up on the market about 7 years ago, and are now failing at an appalling rate.
Good that you have the home warranty .
The older your unit, the cheaper it is to fix.

Rocky
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
My A/C just went out after a power surge. Compressor and handler are running just not cold .I am still on hold with Chas Roberts for the last 30 min :cry: :cry: :mad:

RiverRatMike
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
just told me to go puck my self... :mad: dam a/c just went out and its a 104 outside :cry: and my warranty service just told me 2 days for a repair man. :cry:
104 is nothing, just be glad your a/c didn't go out here in Havasu :)

JetBoatRich
07-18-2006, 05:30 PM
maybe it is simple Willie, did you hit the "ON" switch

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2006, 05:33 PM
My A/C just went out after a power surge. Compressor and handler are running just not cold .I am still on hold with Chas Roberts for the last 30 min :cry: :cry: :mad:
Sometimes just shut it off for a spell, then give it a restart.

vegasriverjunkie
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
I was there not too long ago. Good thing I have 2 ac units at least 1 was keeping the house somewhat cool.

slowinhavasu
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
What we're seeing the most of are the newer "programable GE fan motors"
puking out.
What was once a $275 easy fix, is now a $1400 fix.
Can't fake it, ya gotta go with proprietary, they got ya by the sack.
Hopefully it's not the case with yours Willie.
They showed up on the market about 7 years ago, and are now failing at an appalling rate.
Good that you have the home warranty .
The older your unit, the cheaper it is to fix.
Just walked in the door from one of those calls...the home owner asked if I had one on the truck...OOPS...I starting laughing...had to tell him special order, maybe in two days and hold on to his butt...it's gonna hurt....he didn't laugh....

Hal
07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
You can buy the modules for those GE motors for a couple hundred bucks and 90% of the time thats all thats wrong. You can replace the complete motor for about $800.00 retail plus 2 hours labor. How you going to get $1400.00 bucks out of a customer for that. Do your guys now how to troubleshoot those motors... or do they just sell them a whole new motor? There is just not that many veriable speed heaters/A/Hs out there anyway. Maybe 10% of the people have them at most. Not pointing any fingers but that is what pisses me off about some of these fly by night a/c companies sending fresh or untrained techs out to try to trouble shoot some of this new equipment thats out there.
When you look in the yellow pages look for a certified dealer for your equipment. Most of the time you will get someone that knows what they are doing.
The companies that do the home warranty work are usually not the top of the line, because they just don't pay enough to do the work properly. (too many hoops to jump thru to deal with the warranty company) But the work should be free so it shouldn't matter as long as they fix it for free. Watch out when they come back and say your repair is not covered under your warranty. You may want to get a second opinion from another company before you put out some big bucks.
This is only my opinion and how I look at some a/c repairs and I am just venting a little so just go on with what you were doing. Have a nice day :rollside:

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
You can buy the modules for those GE motors for a couple hundred bucks and 90% of the time thats all thats wrong. You can replace the complete motor for about $800.00 retail plus 2 hours labor. How you going to get $1400.00 bucks out of a customer for that. Do your guys now how to troubleshoot those motors... or do they just sell them a whole new motor? There is just not that many veriable speed heaters/A/Hs out there anyway. Maybe 10% of the people have them at most. Not pointing any fingers but that is what pisses me off about some of these fly by night a/c companies sending fresh or untrained techs out to try to trouble shoot some of this new equipment thats out there.
When you look in the yellow pages look for a certified dealer for your equipment. Most of the time you will get someone that knows what they are doing.
The companies that do the home warranty work are usually not the top of the line, because they just don't pay enough to do the work properly. (too many hoops to jump thru to deal with the warranty company) But the work should be free so it shouldn't matter as long as they fix it for free. Watch out when they come back and say your repair is not covered under your warranty. You may want to get a second opinion from another company before you put out some big bucks.
This is only my opinion and how I look at some a/c repairs and I am just venting a little so just go on with what you were doing. Have a nice day :rollside:
Hal,
Some of the newer GE programable motors have the replaceable module,, the older ones do not.
Ya have to replace the motor AND module as a complete unit.
The 1 hp motor and module for their highest SEER 5 ton Gas Pac is $925 from Carrier, and they hit ya shipping at $91 over nite, $61 - 2 day,, and that's if you can locate one.
I don't work for free, as you don't work for free, the rest is sales tax and labor.
If you can find one for $700 bones in the middle of this heat wave I'd scoop it up.
People want higher SEER, so this is what you get:
The module talks to the burner control logic, the fan motors, the safeties,, ya can't fake it with any off the shelf $100 universal fit motor like we've done in the past.
Carrier and Lennox have us all by the sack. Your beef is with them.
If that irritates you, get a load of this:
Now they now longer put part numbers or mod numbers on parts to eliminate bootleg or cross referencing to get way cheaper generic parts.

slowinhavasu
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Lets see, 25 years as a tech, UTI trained, BDP,American Standard,,Goettle, Ruud, Lennox authorized trained tech...Instructor here at the Jr. college....I think I have a handle on it....(Didn't mean to toot my own horn)
I used my GE tester and yes the module is bad, the motor is good, but the question is, will BDP sell me just the module ???? In some cases no ! I'm not sure of the wholesale or retail price , but I'll let you know.....

a catered life
07-18-2006, 08:08 PM
maybe it is simple Willie, did you hit the "ON" switch
shit that worked thanks rich :cool:
looks like the power surge cause it to not work for a while

J540
07-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Ours went out last week, getting a new 4 ton tomorrow . goto home depot get a window unit for now it works kinda good we got two of them. Better than melting.

Rocky
07-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Sometimes just shut it off for a spell, then give it a restart.
Thanks for the advise it worked, I was on hold for 40 min with a A/C company and i told my wife to turn it back on. When they finely answered it started blowing cold. :rollside: Yea its still 100 outside at 9:30 in PHX