PDA

View Full Version : DCB 29 and 32

Boomer 880
07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
My first post on this site...
Wanted to get feeback on DCBs (29 and 32) ability to handle rough water.
I know many of you boat in areas where there is not a lot of big waves (yes, I know the ocean has big waves), but we are in the Chicago area and do a lot of boating on Lake Michigan. Here, the weather can change quickly and you may find yourself in 4'-5' waves. The kids really do not like the rough stuff, so we are not making much use (extra hull length) of our 40' Hustler on any basis. Since this is the situation, we are looking to downsize and get something that is easier to trailer and take in some of the lake boating in the area. We would still like to hit Lake Michigan on nicer days, but need a boat that can still get us to a safe harbor, should the weather change.
I did a search on this site and read all of the DCB posts (wow, you guys sure have a lot of opinions :argue: ), but did not see any mention of running in a lot af sloppy water...2'-3'.
When we lived in San Diego, I hit the LA Boat Show and loved the DCBs.
Thanks for the feedback :boxed:

Magic34
07-19-2006, 10:13 AM
All of the Great Lakes get really rough.
For those who have not been up there on any of them, it is common for the lakes to get like Powell or Mead would in a bad storm. It is just more common on the Great Lakes with wind.
I haven't driven a cat in 4'+ swells so I cant offer any help on it.

UnionJack
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I have had both and I am happy with how they both run

Boomer 880
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Union Jack... did you ever run them in nasty waters? If yes, was there a big difference between the 29 and the 32?

UnionJack
07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
No, but I can only assume they will both be great

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Let the nutswing/cheerleading begin. The great lakes are fresh water so a DCB should do fine

RiverDave
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
My first post on this site...
Wanted to get feeback on DCBs (29 and 32) ability to handle rough water.
I know many of you boat in areas where there is not a lot of big waves (yes, I know the ocean has big waves), but we are in the Chicago area and do a lot of boating on Lake Michigan. Here, the weather can change quickly and you may find yourself in 4'-5' waves. The kids really do not like the rough stuff, so we are not making much use (extra hull length) of our 40' Hustler on any basis. Since this is the situation, we are looking to downsize and get something that is easier to trailer and take in some of the lake boating in the area. We would still like to hit Lake Michigan on nicer days, but need a boat that can still get us to a safe harbor, should the weather change.
I did a search on this site and read all of the DCB posts (wow, you guys sure have a lot of opinions :argue: ), but did not see any mention of running in a lot af sloppy water...2'-3'.
When we lived in San Diego, I hit the LA Boat Show and loved the DCBs.
Thanks for the feedback :boxed:
For really rough waters I would think you'd probably be better off with a more east coast Cat designed to run in those kind of waters. There's a nice 28 Skater for sale right now with twin 300X's that would fit the bill. I also know of a nice 30' Spectre for sale that would be a nice fit as well. HavasuCig (member on here) is selling the Skater, and Andy01 (member here) is selling the Spectre.
I think Summer Obsession (member on here as well) has one of the 1st 29's that he is trying to sell and he is out somewhere by LOTO which might be closer to you to see the boat?
If your looking to buy new, then I personally would check out both those (Skater / Spectre) and maybe a couple more east coast mfg's as well. West coast stuff simply won't run "well" in that kind of water (3 - 5 foot swells), and on top of which I doubt it would hold up well to the abuse.
Again it's my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
RD

Jordy
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Andy01 (member here) is selling the Spectre.
I know of another 30' Spectre for sale with 300X's as well and it was just tested in 8' seas that were white capping coming back from Catalina on the weekend of the 4th and it did outstanding. ;)

RiverDave
07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I know of another 30' Spectre for sale and it was just tested in 8' seas that were white capping coming back from Catalina on the weekend of the 4th and it did outstanding. ;)
Well there you go, two 30' Spectre's.. I didn't know you were selling yours.
RD

Jordy
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Well there you go, two 30' Spectre's.. I didn't know you were selling yours.
RD
It's listed over on OSO in the classifieds. ;)
It's a great boat, especially when the water turns ugly, I just want something bigger with a cabin so I can settle down a bit. ;) :D

ADDICTED
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I have run my 27 Daytona in some rough 4 foot swells. As long as you stay on top of the waves you are usually fine. I find it is much harder when the water is 4 foot in consistant chop. The "washing machine" is a challenge. I think a 29 or a 32 would most likley do well and be able to get you to a safe spot to let it settle down. Even a 40ft cat can have some rough times in that type of water if you run it hard.

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
My $.02...For Lake Michigan, I'd stick with the East Coast Tunnels..ie Skater, Spectre. Although Havasu, Mohave and Mead get nasty, I imagine it's nothing close to the possibilities of Lake Michigan. I've been in an F-29 when a storm blew in and it did not like the large rollers, and was actually a little nerve racking.

MR HARLEY
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I've been in an F-29 when a storm blew in and it did not like the large rollers,
I beg to differ. :)
IMHO thats when our boat runs the best, big rollers, wind, chop and whitecaps. :D My personnal favorite!
This last weekend in Havasu, during the monsoon was a great time out there.

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I beg to differ. :)
IMHO thats when our boat runs the best, big rollers, wind, chop and whitecaps. :D My personnal favorite!
This last weekend in Havasu, during the monsoon was a great time out there.
That's my point. You cannot compare Havasu's worst day to Lake Michigan.

MR HARLEY
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I cant comment on Lake Michigan.
Welcome aboard Boomer 880!

RiverDave
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Havasu is a pond compared to lake michigan. You can see both sides of Havasu when your boating on it.. LOL The worst Havasu could dish up would probably be considered choppy water.
Even with the terrible monsoon last weekend, an average 21' daycruiser could've stayed afloat through the whole thing and waited it out if the driver was good and didn't panic. I've never been on Lake michigan, but I have to expect if a storm came up over a body of water that size it'd end up looking like the ocean pretty quick.
RD

Jbb
07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Havasu is a pond compared to lake michigan. You can see both sides of Havasu when your boating on it.. LOL The worst Havasu could dish up would probably be considered choppy water.
Even with the terrible monsoon last weekend, an average 21' daycruiser could've stayed afloat through the whole thing and waited it out if the driver was good and didn't panic. I've never been on Lake michigan, but I have to expect if a storm came up over a body of water that size it'd end up looking like the ocean pretty quick.
RD
Lake Superior...right next door....sunk this one in a storm....
Does anyone know where the love of God goes,when the waves turn the minutes to hours......
http://www.lakesuperior.com/online/225/225fitzport.jpg

RiverDave
07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know where the love of God goes,when the waves turn the minutes to hours......
Could've been a lack of zip ties that did it in.. Ya never know?
RD

Jbb
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Could've been a lack of zip ties that did it in.. Ya never know?
RD
Or too much hair gel..?

Boomer 880
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input so far.
Yes, Lake Michigan can get really wild on windy days, but we would not go out anyways with the kids. However, it is very fun to get a 10,000+ pound boat flying!
So far, it sounds like the DCB is design for small lake/river running and would be OK in 1-2' waves. Is this a fair summation?
I like the Spectre 32', but it offers zero 'cabin'. It is nice to have a spot to get out of the sun if you like (without putting up a bimini top).

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, Lake Michigan can get really wild on windy days, but we would not go out anyways with the kids. However, it is very fun to get a 10,000+ pound boat flying!
So far, it sounds like the DCB is design for small lake/river running and would be OK in 1-2' waves. Is this a fair summation?
I like the Spectre 32', but it offers zero 'cabin'. It is nice to have a spot to get out of the sun if you like (without putting up a bimini top).
I can only speak for the F-29, and it appears your summation is correct. The F-32 is MUCH bigger than the 29 and might be able to take on the Great Lakes...But IMHO if I lived there and had $300-400k to spend I'd be looking in the East. But as you stated, the DCB does have an underbow cabin. How big is it? The 29 is pretty dang small.

RiverDave
07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
1 -2' "Waves" as in measuring from the back so they would have a 2 - 4' Face.. That would be correct. If it's 1 - 2' Chop, they can handle much more then that.
As far as what they can handle, they can handle Havasu on a big day with no problems.. It would appear that most (if any) don't actually run them out in the ocean for whatever reason.
If where you boat more resembles the ocean on a calm day, then the river, then I'd probably be looking at more of an ocean styled boat.
RD

MR HARLEY
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I can only speak for the F-29
But with wackers, I heard they ride different.
But as you stated, the DCB does have an underbow cabin. How big is it?
Looks like the kidies are having a good time in the underbow cabin of this 32'
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/RYLEND/3330scd.jpg
If it's 1 - 2' Chop, they can handle much more then that.
:cool:
It would appear that most (if any) don't actually run them out in the ocean for whatever reason.
I would'nt mind takeing a dip in the big blue with ours. I would really like to see how she would do out there. :)

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Go to Offshoreonly.com and do a search in the general discussion area. There was recently a thread about a 32 DCB on Lake Michigan, and they were comparing it's performance versus the Skater's etc...

Charley
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
for Lake Michigan
Buy a V hull
how is that for a shocker :D :D
Nice cig on OSO
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/files/10695_1.jpg

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
No, but I can only assume they will both be great
I would be skeptical with the tunnel center pod design compared to a true cat with a big deep tunnel. Not to knock DCB's but the great lakes can be brutal. My 26 used to beat me up on Havasu when the water got nasty, and Havasu is nothing compared to the great lakes. Chuck, the #2 cheerleader behind Charley, (love you chuck :) ) can attest to this. He was in my 26 once when we were getting hammered. I think it made him think twice about going to a cat.

Patyacht
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Call Brian at DCB 619-442-0300. He just got back from the Smoke On the Water Poker Run and he could probably tell you all about DCB's on Lake Michigan in rough water. I heard the water was BAD.

Howie Feltersnatch
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
The searches all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
If they'd put fifteen more miles behind her.

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
for Lake Michigan
Buy a V hull
Nice cig on OSO
Good man. Your honesty amazes me!

Charley
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Go to Offshoreonly.com and do a search in the general discussion area. There was recently a thread about a 32 DCB on Lake Michigan, and they were comparing it's performance versus the Skater's etc...
I just read the thread and aside from the one smart ass "camaro" comment everyone seemed to agree a 32' cat of any manufacturer was not going to have a good time on that water on that day. I'm missing the performance comparison you were talking about unless you are pointing out that the 46' skater and 39' MTI were the only Cats to go back out in that water on that day after lunch :rolleyes:

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
But with wackers, I heard they ride different.
Looks like the kidies are having a good time in the underbow cabin of this 32'
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/RYLEND/3330scd.jpg
I would'nt mind takeing a dip in the big blue with ours. I would really like to see how she would do out there. :)
Even the #1 CheerLeader agrees with me. DCB is no bueno for the Great Lakes!

Charley
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Good man. Your honesty amazes me!
:D ... I'm quite serious though, if I lived on the Great Lakes i would likely own a V... probably a Cig or Outer limits.....

Charley
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
:D ... I'm quite serious though, if I lived on the Great Lakes i would likely own a V... probably a Cig or Outer limits.....
Now if a cat was the absolute need, I actually think the Nortech Cats would be a good choice too... they lay em up heavy and mass always help ;)

DCBDaytona
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree 100%. It would be a big Cig or Outerlimits. Or the 46' Skater Supreme :)

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
I just read the thread and aside from the one smart ass "camaro" comment everyone seemed to agree a 32' cat of any manufacturer was not going to have a good time on that water on that day. I'm missing the performance comparison you were talking about unless you are pointing out that the 46' skater and 39' MTI were the only Cats to go back out in that water on that day after lunch :rolleyes:
I thought there was more than that to the thread, I did not read the whole thing. It still gives a good idea of what the water is like on that lake.
BTW, the guy that made the comment about the Camaro has some very good credentials as far as cats are concerned from racing and being a race commentator for many years. As a matter of fact they did a question and answer feature on him in Powerboat Magazine a few months back... :cool:

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree 100%. It would be a big Cig or Outerlimits. Or the 46' Skater Supreme :)
Yep...

MR HARLEY
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
DCB is no bueno for the Great Lakes!
Im not dis-agreeing with you. :argue: :p

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Call Scot at Spectre, I am sure he can do a cabin if you want.

Havasu1986
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=Boomer 880]My first post on this site...
The kids really do not like the rough stuff, so we are not making much use (extra hull length) of our 40' Hustler on any basis. Since this is the situation, we are looking to downsize and get something that is easier to trailer and take in some of the lake boating in the area.
I think the key word that he wants is to down size

Panic Button
07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
The Great Lakes is nothing like the lakes out west. I've been out on Lake Michigan when 8 footers came out of nowhere 2-3 miles out of Waukegan Harbor. We took water over the bow several times on a 45' cruiser. The Great Lakes are like the Pacific. A cat would be fine on the Chain o' Lakes or inland lakes.

XTRM22
07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I would be skeptical with the tunnel center pod design compared to a true cat with a big deep tunnel. Not to knock DCB's but the great lakes can be brutal. My 26 used to beat me up on Havasu when the water got nasty, and Havasu is nothing compared to the great lakes. Chuck, the #2 cheerleader behind Charley, (love you chuck :) ) can attest to this. He was in my 26 once when we were getting hammered. I think it made him think twice about going to a cat.
The whole true tunnel thing kinda makes sence, you don't see many West Coast Cats of any kind in the big kids pool. Although I have seen some Daytonas racing F3 and what would it be...super cat light? and handling some pretty big water, but they are no match for the Skaters and MTI's. Hey Chris that day in question on your old 26 was a bit rough, but I don't think any boat under 28' and running over 80 would have been much better. Thanks for the #2 cheerleader position, I'd have hated lettin Charley get behind me :crossx:
Chuck

BlackedoutF250
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Check out an ADRENALINE they have a great 30 ft boat that can really handle the chop and put out some great performance numbers. They have any awesome look aswell, like none other. Check them out www.adrenalinepowerboats.com www.sicklifts.com
John

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
The whole true tunnel thing kinda makes sence, you don't see many West Coast Cats of any kind in the big kids pool. Although I have seen some Daytonas racing F3 and what would it be...super cat light? and handling some pretty big water, but they are no match for the Skaters and MTI's. Hey Chris that day in question on your old 26 was a bit rough, but I don't think any boat under 28' and running over 80 would have been much better. Thanks for the #2 cheerleader position, I'd have hated lettin Charley get behind me :crossx:
Chuck
Well you are the OG of the DCB group now, but I think Charley beats you out in the cheerleading department. :)

Boomer 880
07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I was the one that jumped into the OSO thread about DCB. However, I knew there would be more (better?) information from you guys, due to more DCB owners here.
While I love the 3600 Nortech cat, again, it becomes a lot to tow around... would not meet our idea to downsize.
As far as Smoke on the Warter... I spoke with Colin at Extreme Marine, and he said they could run 70 MPH in the heavy seas. However, I learned from another source that the 32 DCB (and may other cats and smaller Vs) did not go out after the first leg of the run. Here, all turned and went back to the starting point.
While I like the 32 Skater (again no cabin), most are built with big power and #6 drives. Again, not my cup of tea and will have issues getting insurance.
Thanks to all for your great input. :rollside:

HM
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Holy Moly, I had parents that taught me about QUALITY !!, thats why thier on Schiada #2, I own Schiada # 1 :p :p :p
Scott
I am with you. Schiada is a league of their own. BTW - you would love the license plate on trailer for my campbell: HUFD 502

HM
07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I was the one that jumped into the OSO thread about DCB. However, I knew there would be more (better?) information from you guys, due to more DCB owners here.
While I love the 3600 Nortech cat, again, it becomes a lot to tow around... would not meet our idea to downsize.
As far as Smoke on the Warter... I spoke with Colin at Extreme Marine, and he said they could run 70 MPH in the heavy seas. However, I learned from another source that the 32 DCB (and may other cats and smaller Vs) did not go out after the first leg of the run. Here, all turned and went back to the starting point.
While I like the 32 Skater (again no cabin), most are built with big power and #6 drives. Again, not my cup of tea and will have issues getting insurance.
Hey,hey, hey!!! We have officially jacked your thread...go start a new one! :D

Charley
07-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd have hated lettin Charley get behind me :crossx:
Chuck
If I lost a motor maybe :D

boxscore
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
for Lake Michigan
Buy a V hull
Nice cig on OSO
you're fockin schizo... just when you got me thinking :confused: ... out goes the rug :220v:

XTRM22
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
If I lost a motor maybe :D
Yeah cause that would probably never happen...........again :crossx:
Chuck

BajaMike
07-20-2006, 03:27 PM
The Great Lakes is nothing like the lakes out west. I've been out on Lake Michigan when 8 footers came out of nowhere 2-3 miles out of Waukegan Harbor. We took water over the bow several times on a 45' cruiser. The Great Lakes are like the Pacific. A cat would be fine on the Chain o' Lakes or inland lakes.
"The Great Lakes are like the Pacific".....only often a lot rougher. Lake Michigan is about 4 times as wide as the channel between Long Beach and Catalina, and has some very nasty weather. :idea:

Charley
07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
you're fockin schizo... just when you got me thinking :confused: ... out goes the rug :220v:
LOL!!! :idea:
Yeah cause that would probably never happen...........again :crossx:
Chuck
OUCH!

Havasu Cig
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
The myth continues about Skaters and cabins. They WILL build you a cabin if you want, and I have been in a couple with cabins. I, and most that buy Skaters don't want them, but they will do it if you want.
FYI, Skaters are built in West Michigan so I think you can figure out what kind of water they are built for. :cool: