PDA

View Full Version : Best Kite Tube Video

Racer277
07-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Anyone know which is best (most violent)? :rollside:
JBB, class, anyone?
Trying to deomonstrate to a buddy why he shouldn't put his kids on one.
:D :D
There's a good one on Google, but it cuts away just as the guy eats it...

HM
07-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Those things are bitchen, but they are dangerous for kids. Just a slight gust can send them flying much higher than ever intended - especially with light riders,like kids.
Tell him that they are already out-lawed at Lake Powell.

BoatFloating
07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
And the MFG just recalled them..... :crossx:

Goad
07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
theres a few good ones on google video....just do a search for kite tube :)

BoatFloating
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Oh and add the fact the death toll is up to 5 people and it just came out this summer..... :220v: :crossx:

HM
07-20-2006, 09:06 AM
video with Ambulance on scene (http://mfile.akamai.com/18153/wmv/ondemandwm.chumtv.com/conventional/national/a-channel/2006/07/jul0606-topstory_tubehs.asx)
Crash is at the end of this one (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3662795352661557160&q=kite)

Racer277
07-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Yeah Yeah, but i want a visual for my presentation... :)
Death, Destruction, Lawsuits Check
How about the videos?

bohica
07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
This one is pretty good.
Kite tube video (http://mfile.akamai.com/18153/wmv/ondemandwm.chumtv.com/conventional/national/a-channel/2006/07/jul0606-topstory_tubehs.asx)

HM
07-20-2006, 09:15 AM
TV report with video (http://kutv.com/video)
If you don't get the video....click on their video tab and search vidoes for "kite tube" and 3 should pop up. One of which has several crashes the interviews with the people who had major injuries.

HM
07-20-2006, 09:17 AM
This one is pretty good.
Kite tube video (http://mfile.akamai.com/18153/wmv/ondemandwm.chumtv.com/conventional/national/a-channel/2006/07/jul0606-topstory_tubehs.asx)
Damn you're slow. :D

Racer277
07-20-2006, 09:22 AM
OK, those work.
Thanks guys. The ambulance and the halo should drive the point home :)

HM
07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
another - 30 second long (http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=4694)
On one of the TV videos I linked, they show how the guy's neoprene life vest was torn.
From watching these videos...it looks like a razor sharp line that gets crossed from safe to "oh shit!"

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah, looks like fun but way too dangerous... :220v:

HM
07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
OK, those work.
The T.V. ones have some great interviews - one guy still wearing a halo.

Goad
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
OK, those work.
haha im curious to ask why your building a case here......are you a victim of your own stupidity?
[edit] sorry, i just read your first post. my bad.
no offence, but what did these people really think would happen when being drug behind a boat 30' in the air and you fall?
i dont think anyone has a right to sue....the common people in the US are so protected over laws that no one uses common sense anymore.

Racer277
07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
One of my coworkers has a boat. He and his kids love watertoys, tubes, etc.
He thinks this is great.
I'm arguing otherwise.
These vids will help.
They're also funny as hell.

HM
07-20-2006, 10:12 AM
haha im curious to ask why your building a case here......are you a victim of your own stupidity?
[edit] sorry, i just read your first post. my bad.
no offence, but what did these people really think would happen when being drug behind a boat 30' in the air and you fall?
i dont think anyone has a right to sue....the common people in the US are so protected over laws that no one uses common sense anymore.
I agree with you in general, I always say that 50% of the population has an I.Q. below 100 by definition and I think our country has been plagued by law suits from stupid people, but this product does not fall into this catagory - it is exceptionally dangerous and was marketed as relatively safe. People who are not in the stupid category are getting hurt. The mfg shows a video that makes it look very controlled and controllable. They never show any video on how quickly this thing can get violent. I agree, what do people expect when falling from 30'? Well, they did not expect to fall from 30'. It was not obvious how unstable it is at that height and its violent tendacy nor did they really show how easy for the thing to take off to 30'. Many of the kids that are getting hurt were never even trying to get big air....they were just trying to hover like the instructional video when a wind gust sent them flying.

Mrs.Racer277
07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
One of my coworkers has a boat. He and his kids love watertoys, tubes, etc.
He thinks this is great.
I'm arguing otherwise.
These vids will help.
They're also funny as hell.
Sheesh---I thought Jeff liked his kids. :rolleyes:

469 the coyote
07-20-2006, 10:28 AM
A buddy of mine has one. It was fun ass hell tell last month when his 15yr old son broke his neck on it. He is going to be ok!!! They are starting to ban them all over. They are fun tell some one gets hurt and 9 times out of 10 they get hurt bad. Just my 2 cents

Old Texan
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Last weekend I took pictures of some college kids kite tubing. They made about a dozen passes on the river always going upwind. They had thought things out pretty well and considered wind direction, wind speed, and boat speed. The driver has reponsibility for controlling the lift with boat speed. Only 1 rider at a time.
They were aware of the previous accident reports but were having fun with danger. My perception is this thing is catching on and even if manufacturers stop making them, a lot of folks are going to design, modify, and produce something to "fly".
These guys at least took a lot of the factors into account and thought safety but they are the exception with the general public being far less aware.
You aren't going to eliminate daredevils, if it's a thrill they'll find a way.

http404
07-20-2006, 12:02 PM
:)
http://www.jokaroo.com/funnyvideos/extreme_tubing.html

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I am sitting here thinking about a couple of years back wanting to sit on my swimstep with a lifeline parachute vest and pull the ripcord at 100 or so to see what the ride would be like...
I think Superdave was actually going to lend me the vest for the endeavor.
I would say you need to trust your driver, but I have been a lot less safe getting a non-flying tube to fly.
I won this one tube called a "Devil Ray" a few years back at a regatta. If you got going 50+ with it you could get it to come off the water for quite some time. Jumping with it was awesome because you could get it nearly sailing on the outside of the wake and then just blast off the wake as you went over.
We ate shit big time a couple of times. Usually, it was just an instantaneous ice-cream headache. Once it ripped my watch off. We thought it was a total blast personally.

Infomaniac
07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Info Jr. is begging me for one. He flies his Body Glove tube even though it is not a kite tube.
I'm about to buy him the Manta flying tube. It is a purpose built ground effect flyer. Not as unstable as the kite tube. The original design was not a tube but a WIG device.

Mrs.Racer277
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Info Jr. is begging me for one. He flies his Body Glove tube even though it is not a kite tube.
I'm about to buy him the Manta flying tube. It is a purpose built ground effect flyer. Not as unstable as the kite tube. The original design was not a tube but a WIG device.
Hi Stranger. :)

BajaMike
07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Those things should get the "Darwin Product of the Year Award". They are obviously for parents who want to permently disable or kill thier kids.... :cry:
:idea:

squirt'nmyload
07-20-2006, 03:41 PM
of course people are going to get hurt when you pull them at 40+
my friends have one and we have used it with no problems every weekend towing around 28 or less. the most air it ever gets is maybe 6 or 7 feet.

No Name
07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
You know what happens when you get a bunch of drunk guys in a boat towing a kite tube. All the passenger start yelling….faster faster…..then before you know it your so-called buddy is 60 feet in the air and drops to the water faster than a scud missile never to walk again. Something like that can really fock up a trip or even a life.

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
You know what happens when you get a bunch of drunk guys in a boat towing a kite tube. All the passenger start yelling….faster faster…..then before you know it your so-called buddy is 60 feet in the air and drops to the water faster than a scud missile never to walk again. Something like that can really fock up a trip or even a life.
You think eating shit at 50+ mph on anything isn't dangerous?
It isn't the tube... it is the drivers. This is like blaming handguns for crimes.
"Kites don't kill people... drivers kill people." ;)

MBlaster
07-20-2006, 04:25 PM
My last trip to Havi a family in our group had one. Dad hurt his shoulder and leg. Son went to the hospital with a concussion. Daughter got bruised up good. Mom had enough sense to stay off the damn thing. I wouldn't go anywhere near the damn things since I don't get paid if I can't work.

BajaMike
07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
My last trip to Havi a family in our group had one. Dad hurt his shoulder and leg. Son went to the hospital with a concussion. Daughter got bruised up good. Mom had enough sense to stay off the damn thing. I wouldn't go anywhere near the damn things since I don't get paid if I can't work.
So only three people got injured on that trip with one of those "toys"??:confused:
That hardly indicates they are unsafe..... :cry:
:argue:

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Seems like they are way too unpredictable and can get out of control fast. As far as how many injuries so far with this NEW toy, it's already too many. I wouldn't take the risk with my safety on those odds just for some sh*ts and giggles.:220v:

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
How many people have been injured or killed this year on Jetskis? Boats? Wakeboards? More than kite tubes, I assure you.
Have some damn sense when you play guys... don't pull someone fast enough to go 60' up...
How is everyone getting hurt on these things?

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 04:55 PM
People are getting hurt because how much control do you have once you're up there?
They're doing a recall already, I'd say that's evidence enough they're a real safety issue.

HM
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
How many people have been injured or killed this year on Jetskis? Boats? Wakeboards? More than kite tubes, I assure you.
Have some damn sense when you play guys... don't pull someone fast enough to go 60' up...
How many people own kite tubes? Not many.
How long have they been out? less than a year, and really only a few months.
5 deaths since June?
How many recreational products have killed so many, so quickly, and been banned and pulled from the market this quickly?
This thing is dangerously unstable - if it wasn't, there would not be the fall out there is now. The line between safe and dangerous is too easy to cross without knowing. I am someone that likes to illegally jump off of bridges with a set of bungee cords attached to my ankles. After seeing the videos of the crashes....no f'n way I will get on one - I don't care how good the driver is - and I am not interested in going 24 mph on those things as they really don't do shit at the speed - I will have more fun on a traditional tube that doesn't cost $500.

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
People are getting hurt because how much control do you have once you're up there?
They're doing a recall already, I'd say that's evidence enough they're a real safety issue.
Same thing with a wakeboard. Same thing with anything that flies.
I hate it when safety nazi's get involved in sports. All of the good toys are gone now. I had a Battlestar Galactica playset when I was a kid that shot red pellets out of the guns. All the way across the room! Gone now... Fireworks that could blow your hands off... gone. How are people going to learn basic safety if we regulate "dangerous" stuff into the toilet.
They aren't pulling the kites because of danger, they are pulling them because of liability. How long do you think a "rope swing kit" would stay on the market today? Let's not even discuss the guy who lost the bet and had to go tie the top of the rope over the river... Hope the kit came with knot tying instructions.
In the immortal words of George Carlin... "I am not saying we should kill all of the stupid people, just take off all of the safety labels and let the problem solve itself..."

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:06 PM
This thing is dangerously unstable - if it wasn't, there would not be the fall out there is now. The line between safe and dangerous is too easy to cross without knowing. I am someone that likes to illegally jump off of bridges with a set of bungee cords attached to my ankles. After seeing the videos of the crashes....no f'n way I will get on one - I don't care how good the driver is - and I am not interested in going 24 mph on those things as they really don't do shit at the speed - I will have more fun on a traditional tube that doesn't cost $500.
If you want to see dangerously unstable, you should see the piece of plywood we got to plane out between two Humvees and the Coachella canal... That was unstable. These things are concrete compared to that contraption.
Worse was the 40+ mph BMX escapades down the infamous "Diamond "A" hill" that led to my childhood home. 1.2 miles of 15% grade. Hell yeah... That cost some stitches...
I would have killed for one of these kite tubes when I was growing up. Instead, we had to save all of our money and get a parachute to tow behind the boat. Two compound fractured femurs and tib/fibs later, my uncle deemed using it while tied to the bumper of the van parked on the beach by Sandpoint in 20+ mph winds blowing offshore was not the deal. That was unstable...

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Anyone want to sell me thier kite tube? You can't get them anymore and I want to make sure I have one for my kids when I get some... ;)
You have any idea what these things are going to be worth on ebay in 20 years?

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I hate it when safety nazi's get involved in sports. All of the good toys are gone now. I had a Battlestar Galactica playset when I was a kid that shot red pellets out of the guns. All the way across the room! Gone now... Fireworks that could blow your hands off... gone. How are people going to learn basic safety if we regulate "dangerous" stuff into the toilet.
They aren't pulling the kites because of danger, they are pulling them because of liability. How long do you think a "rope swing kit" would stay on the market today? Let's not even discuss the guy who lost the bet and had to go tie the top of the rope over the river... Hope the kit came with knot tying instructions.
In the immortal words of George Carlin... "I am not saying we should kill all of the stupid people, just take off all of the safety labels and let the problem solve itself..."
And why do you think the liability has become such a factor, because they're too f'n dangerous! Not a safety nazi here, just been around too many spinal cord injured victims and I'm not that stupid to risk it on something that's got a bad reputation and little history to show otherwise. Not worth it, period!

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
And why do you think the liability has become such a factor, because they're too f'n dangerous! Not a safety nazi here, just been around too many spinal cord injured victims and I'm not that stupid to risk it on something that's got a bad reputation and little history to show otherwise. Not worth it, period!
You ever snowboard?

doesitfloat?
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Damn, Froogy. I have read many of your posts (including splashing and paint scheme threads) in the past and you always seemed smart and logical...until this one.
The damn things fly 30+ feet up into the air (combined with forward speeds of 30+ mph). People will get hurt with this product. It should be pulled.
The teak surfing thread was an illustration of stupid people. This is just a bad product...fun, yes...but still dangerous.
By your comments, I'm assuming that we should bring back the lawn darts.

HM
07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Wes...you are way off on this and flat out wrong. The resin fumes must be attacking the logic part of your brain :D. No other product has had this serious of problems this quickly. I agree, lots of stupid people out there - but then you have to look at the hard numbers and this thing stands out like no other.
Why haven't they banned wakeboards? or skyskis? or regular tubes?
You are comparing apples to oranges when you look at the hard #'s. I don't think you realize how bad the #'s are.
I agree, I hate the safety nazis and people who don't take accountibility for their own actions...like the people suing boat mfgs because they let their kids teak surf with no life preserver or their wife jumps into the out drive and the husband puts it in reverse. Or even where I live, we have custom golf carts and people have died in them so people want to ban them even though it was driver error. But these are bad news. If people want to own them...that is fine, but they need to know how unstable they are...the things are so new the mfg had no idea. If it was just as dangerous as a wake board, the mfg would not have pulled it.

HM
07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
If you want to see dangerously unstable, you should see the piece of plywood we got to plane out between two Humvees and the Coachella canal... That was unstable. These things are concrete compared to that contraption.
Worse was the 40+ mph BMX escapades down the infamous "Diamond "A" hill" that led to my childhood home. 1.2 miles of 15% grade. Hell yeah... That cost some stitches...
I would have killed for one of these kite tubes when I was growing up. Instead, we had to save all of our money and get a parachute to tow behind the boat. Two compound fractured femurs and tib/fibs later, my uncle deemed using it while tied to the bumper of the van parked on the beach by Sandpoint in 20+ mph winds blowing offshore was not the deal. That was unstable...
Wes...your logic continues to degrade. Who exactly is marketing a piece of plywood to be pulled down a canal for recreational use?
AGAIN - you are continuing to ignore the actual #'s.
Do I need to come down there and slap some sense into an ex- navy seal? :D

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
By your comments, I'm assuming that we should bring back the lawn darts.
LMAO.. :D

Devil's Advocate
07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Wes...you are way off on this and flat out wrong. The resin fumes must be attacking the logic part of your brain :D. No other product has had this serious of problems this quickly. I agree, lots of stupid people out there - but then you have to look at the hard numbers and this thing stands out like no other.
Why haven't they banned wakeboards? or skyskis? or regular tubes?
You are comparing apples to oranges when you look at the hard #'s. I don't think you realize how bad the #'s are.
I agree, I hate the safety nazis and people who don't take accountibility for their own actions...like the people suing boat mfgs because they let their kids teak surf with no life preserver or their wife jumps into the out drive and the husband puts it in reverse. Or even where I live, we have custom golf carts and people have died in them so people want to ban them even though it was driver error. But these are bad news. If people want to own them...that is fine, but they need to know how unstable they are...the things are so new the mfg had no idea. If it was just as dangerous as a wake board, the mfg would not have pulled it.
Good points..

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
OK. For the record, I am totally kidding... kind of.
They are dangerous, they are obviously dangerous and that is the reason I don't own one. Every single toy I have ever wanted to own I purchased the first version of yet I steered clear of the flying wing of death from an early date...
But, I am sorry to see them get regulated out. I would think a borderline educated buying public would cause them to cease existence... i.e. the Suzuki Samurai.
At some point, reality needs to set in with folks. I would never put my kid in one, but I would sure as hell put one of my buddies in one.
But, we jump out of planes for a living so there you go...

Froggystyle
07-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Wes...your logic continues to degrade. Who exactly is marketing a piece of plywood to be pulled down a canal for recreational use?
AGAIN - you are continuing to ignore the actual #'s.
Do I need to come down there and slap some sense into an ex- navy seal? :D
Someone spray painted "For recreational use" on it. Plus, we all signed waivers of liability... :rolleyes:
BTW... you are an ex-SEAL if you got kicked out. I am still a SEAL... just retired. ;)

HM
07-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Someone spray painted "For recreational use" on it. Plus, we all signed waivers of liability... :rolleyes:
BTW... you are an ex-SEAL if you got kicked out. I am still a SEAL... just retired. ;)
Do I need to come down and slap a "retired" navy seal? :D
BTW - I don't think they should ban the kite tubes...I am not on that bandwagon. I do think people should truly understand how dangerous they are - but that doesn't make for good marketing.

HM
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I still have a set....the kids love em
He said LAWN darts...not butt darts.

MBlaster
07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
From what I saw the Dad was only up maybe 10 feet when it got squirly and he crashed. The son was getting really good at it until he went up too high and then the nose dropped and he flipped upside down and landed head first with the kite landing on top of him. Granted he was probably going 45 or so. Kind of like a bad barefooting fall except he was up 30+feet.
When you play hard shiat can happen.

HavasuSelect
07-21-2006, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqXNAXz7BAk

Freak
07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
http://www.heytone.com/movies/wegowipeout3.html

Racer277
07-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Excellent. The last few videos are perfect...
MUWAHAHAHA

Screemy1
07-21-2006, 07:33 AM
the manta ray is pretty safe.... just have to have a driver that is not a moron..... calculate speed vs riders weight.... and only tow in very open area so you can glance at the rider to see how high they are getting. The ride is getting a bad rep because the typical shit head that trie hauling ass and see how high they can get.... use common since.... it is meant to go up a little and bounce, just be more careful and they wouldn't have a prob.... now the round one that has been recalled.... DUH that has nothing to keep it somewhat tracking straight... that would def. have to be towed slower.... not as fun.... now it is recalled.... so don't bother... the manta ray is much better!!!!!