PDA

View Full Version : Any Garage Builders out there?

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-21-2006, 11:57 PM
How expensive is it, difficulty? (and possible) to make a double garage door opening taller (only need about 6 inches)? There is enough room in the inside (to the ceiling), but need to raise whatever support is across the garage door opening, and probably get a new or bigger door (already a rollup).
Include making a bigger opening, new frame, stucco, door, (anything else?)
Any referrals welcome too.
Thanks.

BadKachina
07-22-2006, 06:18 AM
How much higher is the ceiling in the garage? Typically for a 7 x 16 door (standard size) You have an 8' ceiling in the garage. Your beam usually takes up all that space in between the opening and the ceiling. My detatched has a 10' opening, but by the time I put the glue lam in and framed in the beam I had just under 9' for the door. If your ceiling is higher, you can do what ever you need to do. That would just consist of cutting the opening bigger, and moving the beam higher. If you don't have the ceiling room you could always go to a steel beam and you could probably get the 6 inches that way.
The hardest part about getting that job done will be getting a contractor to show up for that small of a job. Small jobs usually cost more because nobody wants them. I could easilly see 3 to 4k with a new door before your done.

mondorally
07-22-2006, 07:04 AM
How expensive is it, difficulty? (and possible) to make a double garage door opening taller (only need about 6 inches)? There is enough room in the inside (to the ceiling), but need to raise whatever support is across the garage door opening, and probably get a new or bigger door (already a rollup).
Include making a bigger opening, new frame, stucco, door, (anything else?)
Any referrals welcome too.
Thanks.
Where is the garage located?
-Justin

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Where is the garage located?
-Justin
It is located in Lake Havasu City (north side). Thanks guys for the replies!