PDA

View Full Version : Water jacket

Thunderbutt
01-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Because I live in FREEZE country I have to winterize my boat. Does the water jacket on the big block Chevy connect to both sides? So, if I can open it on one side of the block will that relieve the whole block? Because on the other side I have an oil cooler and you can't get to the water jacket plug or put in a relief valve. (I can't spell petcock.)

VD CRUISER
01-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Thunderbutt,
No the two sides are not connected, you have to remove both plugs or put antifreeze in it.
I have a Dan Olson oil cooler and I can get to the plug with a universal jointed socket. Just did it about an hour ago.

spectras only
01-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Jim, I remove the hoses from the exhaust manifolds and the V-drive as well to get the water out.I also have a tranny cooler that has a drainplug on it's side as well.I've seen those coolers crack when people forget to drain it.

howard69
01-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Isnt it alot easier to run antifreeze through it

Railton
01-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Uh huh, and don't forget to block the pipes so the mice don't crawl in.

Thunderbutt
01-28-2002, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I usally put in antifreez, But this year I'm pulling the motor. What if I put in a 3/8 pipe to #6 hose fitting and run the hose to a bulkhead fitting in the motor mount an cap it. That way all I have to do is remove the caps. I've been told by the experts here that you should alwayes drain the existing water out of the block be for you put in antifreez. Just trying to find a easer way.

spectras only
01-28-2002, 09:14 AM
Jim, since you're removing the engine ,putting a gardenhose fitting[and move a hose to the engine plates where it's accesable]on the block is a good idea.That way you can reverse flush your block to get rid of sand settled in the bottom portion of the block,plus makes it easy to drain the water from the block in the winter,and fill with antifreeze if you want.If you don't remove the hoses or let the water out by the petcocks and want to put antifreeze in ,you need an awful lot of antifreeze to make sure you got 50/50 mix in the block .One bad pocket of water could crack your block.I've seen jetbowls with minimal water retained in them cracking in a circular manner around the seal [behind the impeller].It's another reason I like jetbowls lubricated by greasing rather than oiling,because you can sqeeze the water out by pumping more grease in.Dominators used grease for a long time and never had freezing problems.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 28, 2002).]