PDA

View Full Version : So you still think kite tubes are safe?

KACHINA KEN
07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
OWNED!
This borrowed from my buddy Brandon on OSO.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/kachinaken/MISC/goingtohurt.jpg

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-25-2006, 06:29 AM
That landing had to hurt! :220v:

RitcheyRch
07-25-2006, 06:31 AM
That landing is gonna HURT.

v-drive
07-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Like my dear departed father used to say, "not a snow balls chance in hell"
:) v-drive

Garrddogg
07-25-2006, 06:33 AM
oh hes so done!

YeLLowBoaT
07-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Oh Sh*t!!!!!!!

Coach
07-25-2006, 06:37 AM
I know they are legal to use, I was still suprised to see about 3 this last weekend. Including some dumbass who was using it in the gourge (he must of missed all of the signs going in) :mad:
You can get a $500 credit from the maker if you turn it in for any other tube they have. There are some videos about the tubes out there including guys who have been paralized and seriously hurt.

NOTALENT
07-25-2006, 06:44 AM
That looks like alot of fun. I would definatley try it, but damn....it may hurt.. :220v:

voodoomedman
07-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Not Kite Tube specific but I was in Havi all last week and I saw 3 people skiing or tubing in the refuge the times that I was up there. The buoys are clearly marked at both ends and there are no launch ramps in between. I wanted to tell them what Jackasses they were.
I know they are legal to use, I was still suprised to see about 3 this last weekend. Including some dumbass who was using it in the gourge (he must of missed all of the signs going in) :mad:

JetBoatRich
07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
The picture looks strange :rolleyes: he is a long way from the "KITE", hard to believe he was whipped that far up :rolleyes:

79Challenger
07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Haven't tried the Kite Tube, but the Manta Ray is pretty fun!

HavasuSelect
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I would much rather sit on the boat and drink a beer.

Coach
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Haven't tried the Kite Tube, but the Manta Ray is pretty fun!
The Manta Ray is a much safer. It is harder to fly it but I did see some guys getting some good air but not for more than 25-30 yards at a time.

Captain Dan
07-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Not Kite Tube specific but I was in Havi all last week and I saw 3 people skiing or tubing in the refuge the times that I was up there. The buoys are clearly marked at both ends and there are no launch ramps in between. I wanted to tell them what Jackasses they were.
A good friend of mine was told by a ranger (a couple of years back) that the refuge doesn't allow skiing but does allow inflatables. Doesn't sound right, but that was straight from the source, (at that time). Good question for Boatcop.

Fast Freddy
07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
thats gonna leave a mark. a lil meguiars boat wax and it will buff right out though

riverbound
07-25-2006, 08:13 AM
The picture looks strange :rolleyes: he is a long way from the "KITE", hard to believe he was whipped that far up :rolleyes:
Looks like it is "chopped" to me. Especially since the kite tube is flying relatively flat. and you can see the silouhuette of the operators legs on the tube.

572Daytona
07-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Looks chopped to me as well. Look at the blurred pixels arround the rope and the white "halo" around the tube. Looks like a crappy job of masking.

voodoomedman
07-25-2006, 08:24 AM
A good friend of mine was told by a ranger (a couple of years back) that the refuge doesn't allow skiing but does allow inflatables. Doesn't sound right, but that was straight from the source, (at that time). Good question for Boatcop.
Yeah good question for Alan! Until then it's hearsay though. I don't see why one would be allowed and not the other. Now I wouldn't even want to ski or tube through there on Saturday. However, weekdays seem perfectly fine as long as you are not towing through blankenship bend or devil's elbow. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

RitcheyRch
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Agree with others. Now that really look at the picture it definitely has been photshopped.
Guess need to get my eyes checked sooner than later. :)

BoatFloating
07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Agreed looks chopped to me too. The guys in the poontoon arent even looking up. Also if he did fly off he wouldn't be that high above the tube.... BS

HM
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Agreed looks chopped to me too. The guys in the poontoon arent even looking up. Also if he did fly off he wouldn't be that high above the tube.... BS
And, it looks like he is still holding on. But, after seeing the videos, that does not look too far fetched. Those things can do a quick violent loop and send someone flying....mabey not your fat ass, but a low center of gravity midget like myself could get sling shotted pretty far. :D

RiverDave
07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Looks chopped to me as well. Look at the blurred pixels arround the rope and the white "halo" around the tube. Looks like a crappy job of masking.
Looks like mist falling off the tube to me?
RD

BoatFloating
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
And, it looks like he is still holding on. But, after seeing the videos, that does not look too far fetched. Those things can do a quick violent loop and send someone flying....mabey not your fat ass, but a low center of gravity midget like myself could get sling shotted pretty far. :D
What ever Tatoo..... I'm calling you in a little bit... Get a step stoll so you can reach the phone....

HM
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
What ever Tatoo..... I'm calling you in a little bit... Get a step stoll so you can reach the phone....
Da Plane, boss, da plane!!! :D

572Daytona
07-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Looks like mist falling off the tube to me?
RD
Possible I guess, but it's not coming off on the lowest side of the tube, unless it's centrifigul force. I also don't see a shadow for the tube anywhere, but I do see one for the tow boat, it looks like the sun is pretty high in the sky so the tube shadow should be close by.
I also see this in the jpg header of the photo:
Adobe Photoshop 7.0 2006:07:11 15:47:50
So it's definitely been run through photoshop, although it could just have been to resize the photo or something else.

Jbb
07-25-2006, 09:59 AM
RD knows all about Photoshop.............. :p

RiverDave
07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Possible I guess, but it's not coming off on the lowest side of the tube, unless it's centrifigul force. I also don't see a shadow for the tube anywhere, but I do see one for the tow boat, it looks like the sun is pretty high in the sky so the tube shadow should be close by.
I also see this in the jpg header of the photo:
Adobe Photoshop 7.0 2006:07:11 15:47:50
So it's definitely been run through photoshop, although it could just have been to resize the photo or something else.
Well I guess you would know about photo chop.. LOL
RD

572Daytona
07-25-2006, 10:09 AM
It looks like the guy actually sold the photo to AP:
http://www.banksphotos.com/news.cfm
Pretty ballsy if it is chopped.

Racer277
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
+1
It may be a chop, but I agree, after the vids, this isn't far fetched.
One of the vids shows a guy getting thrown off. Before he lands, the tube hits the water, fly's back up in the air to his height, then hits the water again. All in the time it took him to hit the water. He was thrown off the tube on the 'upswing' if you will. LOL
Interesting that all the nasty crashes are this particular tube. Haven't seen anything bad yet from the Manta Ray. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough...