PDA

View Full Version : 1 havasu Councilman is easing off Channel Closure

UncleLarry
01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Here's a copy of a letter one of the Mayors right hand council members has released... One down 3 to go. need to get 4 council members to vote against the banning of mooring in OUR Channel..
Friends,
Once again, a hot topic has surfaced from the City Council - Mooring. Reaction from the public has been very strong and one sided since our Mayor mentioned the notion of closing the south channel to mooring. I need to put all this in proper perspective from my viewpoint.
This issue came to council as a concern of our police dept. The police chief is concerned that they are understaffed in handling the big holiday crowds on the channel. New concerns from the chief are rising rival gang presence and illegal drug use along the channel. That was stated in his presentation. On the positive side, the Chief stated that instances of arrest, even with the zero tolerance policy, was down 29% from prior years.
The Mayor suggested that the problem could be easily corrected if the City were to simply close the south side of the channel to all mooring. That comment just fueled a fire of protest and the spin machine was up an going again. The comment was perhaps a little premature remembering that it came from a council work session. This issue is a work in progress with no council recommendations at this time.
So this last weekend I set up the council booth at the swap meet for the 9th time to listen to what the public is saying. I was there from 7:30 until 2 PM. The Mayor came and answered questions from 10 am until 2pm also. His viewpoint and answers were different than mine. The experience was good ( difficult at times) but I did learn quite a few viewpoints.
Here is what I heard:
The vast majority want mooring to continue in the Bridgewater Channel. People are very concerned that the elimination of mooring will adversely effect our primary business in town - tourism. People realize that sometimes a few get out of control and that law enforcement needs a very strong presence and they support the zero tolerance policy too. There seems to be no public feeling for a need to control alcohol consumption along the channel. I am hoping that those who know that tourism is very important to Havasu also realize that the English Village is a key factor is a city policy of strong support of tourism.
I must remember that this initial group is most likely primarily composed of those most upset with the idea of no mooring and those opposing this new city council on other issues too. I am interested in your input too. Please let me know your thoughts.
MY CONCLUSIONS TO DATE OF
THE CHANNEL ISSUE:
(Public Safety is the #1 concern)
- The City should take over jurisdictional law enforcement authority of Thompson Bay.
- On big weekends, travel thru the channel should be one way only from south to north.
- Jet ski traffic should be restricted from the channel during big holiday weekends only.
- Police presence needs to be increased on big holiday weekends using the mobile booking station.
- Random boater sobriety checks need to be conducted at both exits from the ends of the channel.
- Consider an increase in fines for non-compliance to posted no tolerance warnings signs.
I have asked the City Attorney to give me an update on the jurisdictional issues for enforcement of a no alcohol policy along the channel. There are different jurisdictional areas governing alcohol consumption along the channel. I am seeking a common policy of enforcement that makes sense should police dept want to pursue this approach to area control.
Bruce Hinman
City Council member

GHT
01-10-2006, 07:57 AM
He seems to be on the right page NOW.... If they would enforce the items he has pointed out there would be less of a problem..
How do you have 29% LESS arrest than prior years when you have a ZERO tolerance..?? I saw MANY occasions there could have been arrest made and the cops just sat in their golf cart watchin'....??

ChumpChange
01-10-2006, 08:59 AM
- Jet ski traffic should be restricted from the channel during big holiday weekends only.
I think this is my favorite proposal. Let's expand this to the entire Colorado river! :)

2Driver
01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
He seems to be on the right page NOW.... If they would enforce the items he has pointed out there would be less of a problem..
How do you have 29% LESS arrest than prior years when you have a ZERO tolerance..?? I saw MANY occasions there could have been arrest made and the cops just sat in their golf cart watchin'....??
It's high time the public (Locals and those that love LHC) move this from a defense posture.
Instead of protesting about what might be done to you, locals should be cramming the incompetence of the Mayor an Town officials down their own throat in a public venue. You guys should stem a public hearing and call incompetence for them allowing the town, Channel and river to get to this point. They should be on the defensive and be made to respond on the issue of not attending to the town's problems.
They run the f'n town and have the power to manage it in partnership with other agencies and they have failed. Their further incompetence is only demonstrated by their recent solution for curbing behavior.
Those with a stake in Havasu should turn the tables on those idiots and make them respond

That Guy
01-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Not sure that I agree on each and every point but definitely a more rational approach from someone who appears to at least listen. Larry...thank you so much for helping us to stay informed.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 09:56 AM
<SNIP>
MY CONCLUSIONS TO DATE OF
THE CHANNEL ISSUE:
(Public Safety is the #1 concern)
- The City should take over jurisdictional law enforcement authority of Thompson Bay.
- On big weekends, travel thru the channel should be one way only from south to north.
- Police presence needs to be increased on big holiday weekends using the mobile booking station.
- Random boater sobriety checks need to be conducted at both exits from the ends of the channel.
- Consider an increase in fines for non-compliance to posted no tolerance warnings signs.
I have asked the City Attorney to give me an update on the jurisdictional issues for enforcement of a no alcohol policy along the channel. There are different jurisdictional areas governing alcohol consumption along the channel. I am seeking a common policy of enforcement that makes sense should police dept want to pursue this approach to area control.
Bruce Hinman
City Council member
Some random musings about these proposals:
If it's good enough for the big weekends, why not just do it year round? would certainly lead to less confusion.
I know this will alleviate the problem we all have with the idiot jet skiers, but this seems kinda one sided. Not all of the jet skiers are idiots. Proactive enforcement of unsafe operation might be a better solution
Works for me. Haul off anyone caught breaking the zero tolerance policy.
Certainly not going to be a popular option, but we all may very well benefit from it.
Sounds good. Make the lesson a harsh one.
As far as the rival gangs and not being able to handle it, I noticed every holiday weekend last year that there was some AZ Gang Enforcement unit in town patrolling the channel on foot. Increae their presence. Bring in more MCSD deputies and AZ DPS if needed.
At least Councilman Hinman is willing to think of other ways to reduce the problems in the channel, for that he is to be commended.
What we, as responsible boaters, need to do is work with the council and city to come up with a solution. We all know the no mooring is not the solution, but let's try and be part of the solution as opposed to part of the problem, or perceived problem.

ChumpChange
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I know this will alleviate the problem we all have with the idiot jet skiers, but this seems kinda one sided. Not all of the jet skiers are idiots. Proactive enforcement of unsafe operation might be a better solution
I don't think it's because they're idiots, it's because of their pollution and air quality or lack there of that they bring.

ChumpChange
01-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't think it's because they're idiots, it's because of their pollution and air quality or lack there of that they bring.
Please note: All three proper forms of their/they're/there in the same sentence. A ***boat first.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
If it's CO related issue, the smoke billowing out of the jet skis is not CO as CO is colorless and odorless. But the billowing smoke does suck as well.

That Guy
01-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Please note: All three proper forms of their/they're/there in the same sentence. A ***boat first.
LMAO....very funny.... :crossx:

Jyruiz
01-10-2006, 10:08 AM
This might be true but most of the skis out since 2000 are now DI (direct injection) or four strokes and pollute less than boats. I don't think the skis should be banned, cuz if they get away with that, they will go for more later and that might mean boats.

H20 Toie
01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
This might be true but most of the skis out since 2000 are now DI (direct injection) or four strokes and pollute less than boats. I don't think the skis should be banned, cuz if they get away with that, they will go for more later and that might mean boats.
once they ban one type then it seems easier to ban something else

Hardly Satisfied
01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
cut down on the boats parking on holiday weekend and highter fines and one way in one way out

NuckinFutz
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm just frustrated at the closing of the channel for boaters, but nothing even discussed about the traffic on foot. I'd venture to guess the gang activity is not in boats, but on foot. I'd say a good portion of the problems is not stemming from drivers and boat passengers, but those who show up in town with no boat and just walk the channel looking to stir the shit. We see the same thing in Utah on Easter in Moab. The popular places for the extreme off road vehicles draws crowds and increased problems. I don't see the owners of the high dollar Jeeps and rock buggies causing the troubles, but the low lifes who take thier piece of shit cars and then walk around trying to be somebody special. Do I have the answer, no, but I wish the polititions would see the problem for what it is.

LakeRacer
01-10-2006, 06:04 PM
It's a known fact that big block motors produce more carbon monoxide than the jet skiers do. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. What you see coming from the jet skis is unburnt fuel/oil mixture. It isn't good, but the real culprit is carbon monoxide.
Sorry, responded before reading all of the replies.

Boatcop
01-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Couple of thoughts......
1. Ban PWCs from the channel, and bans on other boats will follow. As was pointed out, a big block will produce many times more CO than PWCs will. Those will be next.
2. The PWC rental industry in Havasu will have the Councils' heads on a platter.
3. Enhanced fines may hit the violator in the wallet harder, but I guarantee, that any extra fine money WILL NOT find its way to the Police Department. Havasu already is the highest paying Department in western Arizona, and they are in the process of adding some 25 new positions over the next 5 years. However, like nearly all rural Departments in this State, they are having trouble attracting new Officers, due to growth in the Central areas (Phoenix metro) and the higher salaries they offer.
Even if the fine money went straight to the PD, it wouldn't be enough to pay for even one Officer for one year. It would take the city's share of around 1,000 DUIs/OUIs to pay for the training and retention of just one officer.
Besides. Fines are set by State law, and local jurisdictions don't have much (if any) latitude in increasing fines above what the law allows.
4. Any action taken will be met by a backlash from one or more groups. They will never make everyone happy.
My own feelings on the subject are, and always have been.....what if the situation was reversed? What if a bunch of people came to your neighborhood park every weekend, and sped up and down the streets with un-muffled cars and bikes all day and all night. Drinking and yelling, blaring music and flashing breasts, butts and everything else. Having sex on the hoods of the cars and picnic tables. Leaving beer/booze/wine cans/bottles/etc. laying all over the place. Using the playground monkey bars as stripper poles, and then told YOU that if you didn't want (or didn't want your kids) to see that kind of stuff, then go somewhere else.
Now some of the members of this forum wouldn't dream of doing that to our lakes and rivers. But some of them also couldn't care less, as long as they have a "good time", and come out here strictly for the "action" described above.
Those are the ones ruining it for everyone else. And those are the ones the City and (believe it or not) the majority of residents of Lake Havasu City want gone.

cola
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Couple of thoughts......
1. Ban PWCs from the channel, and bans on other boats will follow. As was pointed out, a big block will produce many times more CO than PWCs will. Those will be next.
2. The PWC rental industry in Havasu will have the Councils' heads on a platter.
3. Enhanced fines may hit the violator in the wallet harder, but I guarantee, that any extra fine money WILL NOT find its way to the Police Department. Havasu already is the highest paying Department in western Arizona, and they are in the process of adding some 25 new positions over the next 5 years. However, like nearly all rural Departments in this State, they are having trouble attracting new Officers, due to growth in the Central areas (Phoenix metro) and the higher salaries they offer.
Even if the fine money went straight to the PD, it wouldn't be enough to pay for even one Officer for one year. It would take the city's share of around 1,000 DUIs/OUIs to pay for the training and retention of just one officer.
Besides. Fines are set by State law, and local jurisdictions don't have much (if any) latitude in increasing fines above what the law allows.
4. Any action taken will be met by a backlash from one or more groups. They will never make everyone happy.
My own feelings on the subject are, and always have been.....what if the situation was reversed? What if a bunch of people came to your neighborhood park every weekend, and sped up and down the streets with un-muffled cars and bikes all day and all night. Drinking and yelling, blaring music and flashing breasts, butts and everything else. Having sex on the hoods of the cars and picnic tables. Leaving beer/booze/wine cans/bottles/etc. laying all over the place. Using the playground monkey bars as stripper poles, and then told YOU that if you didn't want (or didn't want your kids) to see that kind of stuff, then go somewhere else.
Now some of the members of this forum wouldn't dream of doing that to our lakes and rivers. But some of them also couldn't care less, as long as they have a "good time", and come out here strictly for the "action" described above.
Those are the ones ruining it for everyone else. And those are the ones the City and (believe it or not) the majority of residents of Lake Havasu City want gone.
Enough said.
Mike

bigkatboat
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
"One way on big weekends" is BS! Many of the boats out at the protest on Sunday were pontoons that are from the marina. I'm not going to leave the channel, go all the way around the island to go back to the marina! What about those at The Nautical, and the trailer parks, the other end of the lake? The cops are understaffed on the larger weekends, and that's where the tax money should go. MORE COPS DOING THEIR JOBS! Not buying private channel land. If you have gone to the "Light parade" or any of the "fireworks shows", YOU SEE VERY FEW COPS! The BOATERS who use the channel and bay don't need lots of cops around, the "troublemakers" do! Durring those events, "mostly locals" and boaters,(read that non- troublemakers) get together and have very few problems, no shootings, no stabbings, just a great time for everyone. So now the "Light Parade" is in a NO PARKING ZONE? This mayor only needs to 'pick on' the Veterans and the immigrants, and then he will have EVERYONE against him.

shadow
01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Just watching the city council meeting now on tv.Have seen a few familliar faces so far.Todd Taylor and Carey "Slowin Havasu" to name a few.The channel issue hasn't come up yet,but it should be interesting.

uvindex
01-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Please note: All three proper forms of their/they're/there in the same sentence. A ***boat first.Um, except that "thereof" is one word, not two, so the word "there" was not used correctly. "A" for effort, however. :)

Boatcop
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Go ahead Alan just call a spade a spade and you wonder why you don't have any friends!
Who needs friends?
I've got a wife who loves me and 2 Bloodhounds that idolize me.
Friendship is over-rated anyhow. :hammerhea

bigkatboat
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I must rebutt "MR Boatcop's" post. I live in Havasu, who are "most of the people" that "want those (what) people gone"? If we could point out the troublemakers, don't you think the cops would arrest them at their first 'act'? The cops I know say they are looking to fill ONLY 6 spots, and moral is very low along with the pay. I am saying, NOT PURCHASE the London Bridge Shops and put the money in the PD and the new firetruck that we now need. Trying to 'funnel bail/ fine money' is not the point of maximum number of arrests and maximum amount of fine dollars (plus court costs), the point is to "burn down the bank accounts" of those who cause trouble. This in turn will either prevent them from returning so often, or just piss them off and not come back. Either way it's a fair solution. Why should my neighbors and I pay the taxes and suffer the mismanagement of the PD and city government? I do know that if all of those bad things that you described in your latter statements, happened in MY NEIGHBORHOOD, I would have to do something about it MYSELF. Because (as you said) the Havasu PD IS UNDERSTAFFED! in the channel,and on my block. Will you prevent parking on my street too? Will I not be able to park in front of my own house because the PD, the council, and the (KING) mayor DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO THEIR JOBS? Just like the channel!!!!

Mandelon
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Tourism is the big industry.....got to take the good with the bad. Every summer our beach areas fill up with Zonies who don't know where they are going and are a nuisance. The city and businesses like the $$$$ coming in. The PD patrols and hauls off the troublemakers.... Step up enforcement!

Boatcop
01-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm not going to get into any problems (real or perceived) within the LHC PD. All I know is, that as far as the rest of this half of the State (Yuma to Bullhead) they are the highest paid Dept. Including DPS. Their proposal is to add 5 officers a year for the next 5 years, in answer to a officer/population ratio study that was done.
I also know that my Dept. lost 5 Officers to LHC PD over the last year or so. They are already offering a $1,000-$2,000 signing "bonus" to every new hire. One of my guys picked up nearly 10 grand a year by hiring on. (not including the $2,000 bonus) This was after I spent the last 5 years giving him the best training, qualifications and certifications the profession has to offer.
And with every Officer they have working 12 hour shifts on big weekends, (no days off/no vacations) manpower is a cop-out. (no pun intended)

shadow
01-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Hats off to Uncle Larry! Great speech tonight at the city council.
Lets hope it sinks in.

bigkatboat
01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
"Now I'm on a roll" or since I'm talking about cops should I say donut? Anyway, "Mr. Riodog" there are many laws already on the books and the people who are commiting violations of these laws are not being arrested. Only 5 or 6 years ago, the channel was a calm place. (even big weekends), As other "hot spots" were being restricted the channel started filling up. As more people came, more often laws were being pushed/ broken and less arrests per number of violations seemed to 'take over' as the norm. Today, we have some "rough crowds, and a very heavy handed mayor who thinks he is going to "right all the wrongs" being done in the channel as well as the entire city. The only thing 'wrong' is the laws on the books are not being enforced! These are LAWS, not "opinions", and we "don't need no stinkin' concensus".

bigkatboat
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
If you didn't want 12 hour days and 'way too much' overtime, like all of us working people must endure around here, you should have gone to work for the post office. They only stay late one day (April 15th) a year.

nyeti
01-10-2006, 08:43 PM
The problem is the parking lot traffic coming down to the channel to party, and not the boaters (in general). Trust me, its literally my backyard. On the holidays and big weekends I watch all the juvenile and underage turds park their wrecks, grab their case of beer, and walk down to party. The overgrowth in the area between the parking lot and the channel is horrendous, and it is not being upkept and groomed like a park should.
On the manpower issue, it is remarkable that LHC P.D. doesn't have a reserve program specifically geared to the holiday and big weekends. There are tons of retired coppers in town who would be more than happy to help out for free. They could put a ton of folks down there to maintain the underage drinking issue. I also think a ban on visible alcohol containers would really help out as well. The channel is a public park, and should be treated like one. Access for all and rules would help.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Not sure that I agree on each and every point but definitely a more rational approach from someone who appears to at least listen. Larry...thank you so much for helping us to stay informed.
I'd feel safer if the PD just sent an officer to drive YOU around in your boat on the holiday weekends.....
Hehe!!!
CJG
:p

TCHB
01-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I have observed people walking in (Havasu Teenagers) drinking and throwing trash all over the channel and nothing happens. Police just drive on by!! In Huntington Beach you do that and you go to jail.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I KNOW it would be safer for them......
Cause' if I have to get stuck behind one more of those smokey, stinky friggen lake lice in the Channel again this Summer.....I'm gonna lose it.....
Oh......and don't get me started on the 68' Evinrude outboard (without the engine cowling) on the back of Cooder Bob's pontoon boat.
Agrrrrrrr.....
CJG
:220v:

shadow
01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I have observed people walking in (Havasu Teenagers) drinking and throwing trash all over the channel and nothing happens. Police just drive on by!! In Huntington Beach you do that and you go to jail.
(Havasu teenagers) Huh? I beg to differ.There are punks from all over not
Just (Havasu Teenagers).Bet theres No Havasu residents in this pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021780IMG_1463.jpg

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
What ?
No photo credit ?
CJG
:p

shadow
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
(Havasu teenagers) Huh? I beg to differ.There are punks from all over not
Just (Havasu Teenagers).Bet theres No Havasu residents in this pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/15021780IMG_1463.jpg
My next question is. Where were the cops this day?how come everyone of these cocksuckers didn't get a littering ticket and have to clean up this mess?

UncleLarry
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, I spoke at the call to public at the city council meeting tonite.. will try and get it on line in a day or two. if i may say so i was friggen fantastic.
nothing brought up at the council meetng regarding this tonite.. mayor asked me some guestions after the meeting.. working hard here....
will keep you updated.......... over the past 5 days over 1500 letters were collected at the boat protest on sunday and just from boaters who love havasu.. whew.. tired need a another beer..
I will keep u updated..

shadow
01-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice Larry,I watched on TV.You had em shaken in thier boots. :)

Ultrafied
01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Who needs friends?
I've got a wife who loves me and 2 Bloodhounds that idolize me.
Friendship is over-rated anyhow. :hammerhea
LOL ... very true. In my case, 2 Dobermans ... I can relate. :D :D

OGShocker
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Yes, I spoke at the call to public at the city council meeting tonite.. will try and get it on line in a day or two. if i may say so i was friggen fantastic.
nothing brought up at the council meetng regarding this tonite.. mayor asked me some guestions after the meeting.. working hard here....
will keep you updated.......... over the past 5 days over 1500 letters were collected at the boat protest on sunday and just from boaters who love havasu.. whew.. tired need a another beer..
I will keep u updated..
You, Larry, are a ROCK STAR!

Kilrtoy
01-10-2006, 10:56 PM
lets get something straight here.
the C.O.P. or the D.C.O.P. HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT....
HE would not know a gang member, if he walked up and punched him in the face......
He stated, I will not qoute him, but this is damn close.
That the CRIPS AND BLOODS are hanging on one side of the channel together
and on the other side
the HELLS ANGELS and the MONGOLS are hanging together.
Now Im pretty sure ALMOST all of you know enough, to know that this type of activity WOULD NEVER HAPPEN OUTSIDE OF PRISON WALLS......
This city offical is sckewing the truth and creating an enviroment of fear among the residents...
I am here to tell you this is not happening...
Are G.M.s visiting the river, YES THEY ARE, but not in the manners described by this city offical.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Couple of thoughts......
Exactly! As always, BC is right on the money.

bigkatboat
01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Sir! BC is so f^(king lost that it's hard to believe he actually patrols the same river! The Havasu city cops don't do one ounce of work that is not actually required. They make themselves 'scarce', so that when an auto accident happens, (due to boredom they rush) 8 to 12 cars with 16 to 20 bodies to stand around and BS, and "secure" the area. Look in the local paper, they report about 25% of the actual crime that goes on here. When a "B&E" or a car theft occurs the police don't even take fingerprints! How in the hell do you 'tie' all of the crimes together if you have no evidence???? The police patrol "cars for sale on the street corner" one week and then three weeks later let THE SAME CARS DO THE SAME THING FOR OVER 8 MONTHS!!! The LHPD is understaffed and overworked! The chief is not vocal about his problems, I don't know why? But the officers that I have come in contact with say that this department is not up to 'normal standards'. You may say it is the "highest paying on the west coast of Az." but that does not make it EFFICIENT, nor EFFECTIVE! If the "pay is so great" why aren't you here instead of Parker?

LakeRacer
01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Sir! BC is so f^(king lost that it's hard to believe he actually patrols the same river! The Havasu city cops don't do one ounce of work that is not actually required. They make themselves 'scarce', so that when an auto accident happens, (due to boredom they rush) 8 to 12 cars with 16 to 20 bodies to stand around and BS, and "secure" the area. Look in the local paper, they report about 25% of the actual crime that goes on here. When a "B&E" or a car theft occurs the police don't even take fingerprints! How in the hell do you 'tie' all of the crimes together if you have no evidence???? The police patrol "cars for sale on the street corner" one week and then three weeks later let THE SAME CARS DO THE SAME THING FOR OVER 8 MONTHS!!! The LHPD is understaffed and overworked! The chief is not vocal about his problems, I don't know why? But the officers that I have come in contact with say that this department is not up to 'normal standards'. You may say it is the "highest paying on the west coast of Az." but that does not make it EFFICIENT, nor EFFECTIVE! If the "pay is so great" why aren't you here instead of Parker?
Lighten up dude! Boat Cop is just giving us another perspective. Money isn't everything and It's pretty obvious that Boat Cop is happy where he is at for the simple fact that he hasn't taken a job with LHCPD. And if the cops in Havasu are that bad take it up with the Havasu Police Chief....that would be a whole lot better than raggin' on Boat Cop who's in a different jurisdiction.

Boatcop
01-12-2006, 05:06 AM
If the "pay is so great" why aren't you here instead of Parker?
Because with my pay level, longevity and position, I would take a cut going to LHC to be a patrol officer.
See! Ask a question and you get a civil, proper answer. No need to flame you, or question your motives or demean you in any way.
You do a good enough job of that yourself.

purrfecttremor
01-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Well put Alan!! :hammerhea

Ultrafied
01-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Because with my pay level, longevity and position, I would take a cut going to LHC to be a patrol officer.
See! Ask a question and you get a civil, proper answer. No need to flame you, or question your motives or demean you in any way.
You do a good enough job of that yourself.
ROFL ..... very PC, Alan. You crack me up. :D

BoatPI
01-12-2006, 06:50 AM
We have two issues here, both are pelated.
First, LHPD in too inbread. They need more training from outside of Mohave County. Secondly, the Department is way too top heavy. Why do you need a Chief, Assistant Chief, and a Captain for such a small PD? Answer, take care of your friends for retirement!
They have many hard working officers, but as pointed out additional training in gang identification, and a smarter way of doing business in the channel during holidays is needed. the use of undercover officers to be used as spotters of serious violations, is necessary. Then bring in the arrest teams and extract the problem quietly as the observations were acomplished by the UC officers. Basic stuff.
A mass booking system onsite is needed. With few officers, a quick turn around is necesary. Basic large crowd control stuff. Itentify the major obvious problem peeps, and extract them.
As we all know peeps will come up yo us in the channel and try to bum a beer, etc. NOOOOO!! Many of these are the low lifes that drive to the channel in a $500 car, sleep in the sand, and stay drunk and loaded, acting like an idiot and dumping cans, trash, dissing folks, in the channel. Just like they do at home. It is what it is, not much changes.
One mans opinion and 30 years of observation in the channel.

KLEPTOW
01-12-2006, 08:40 AM
"Now I'm on a roll" or since I'm talking about cops should I say donut? Anyway, "Mr. Riodog" there are many laws already on the books and the people who are commiting violations of these laws are not being arrested. Only 5 or 6 years ago, the channel was a calm place. (even big weekends), As other "hot spots" were being restricted the channel started filling up. As more people came, more often laws were being pushed/ broken and less arrests per number of violations seemed to 'take over' as the norm. Today, we have some "rough crowds, and a very heavy handed mayor who thinks he is going to "right all the wrongs" being done in the channel as well as the entire city. The only thing 'wrong' is the laws on the books are not being enforced! These are LAWS, not "opinions", and we "don't need no stinkin' concensus".
Just about the time that the Sand Bar was closed on Holiday weekends.
Open the Sand Bar up and let all of the LE Agency help with the masive crowds that come out to Boat.

02HoWaRd26
01-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Do they understand that the boats and boaters of course are what keep that town from drying up to a ghost town

Havasu Cig
01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
My take on the comments regarding problems in the channel and request for solutions from the P.D.
I was involved in Law Enforcement for 11 years, and Havasu P.D. from my perspective has very few problems in the channel for the size of the crowds they are dealing with. I worked in a very busy and violent city, and anytime we had even a fraction of the crowds they have in the Channel on any given weekend there would almost always be some violent crime (shootings, stabbings, etc...). In the many years I have been going to Havasu I have only witnessed a few fights, and none involving weapons. I know it happens, but I think they are rare.
On the big weekends Havasu P.D. has help from many other agencies, and they don't seem to be working that hard IMO. On any given night in the city I worked in I would be backed up 5-15 calls for service which meant you could not sit around like you see the officers out there doing. I am not trying to get down on the officers out there, but if they think they have problems and can't handle the work load, I don't think they know what it is like to have a sunbstantial work load.
I was talking to a guy that lives out there who retired from a neighboring city P.D. out here in So.Cal. that I worked in and he said they have no idea out there what it is like to really have to work. His son is a Havasu P.D. officer so I think he has some good perspective on the situation.
IMO they don't really have a problem out there. I wish they would jack up some of the gang members more than they do, but I really don't see an overwhelming problem out there. When I see the officers rolling out there from call to call then I would agree that they have a problem. When they have time to kick back on golf carts, and stop people for minor infractions or safety checks I don't see a problem. My.02