PDA

View Full Version : Air compressors

Tom Brown
07-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Is there any reason why I can't connect two air compressors in parallel to get double the CFM?
I have a couple of small contractor compressors I'd like to connect together for double the storage and double the pump CFM.

Cheap Thrills
07-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I've done it , but I used just one of the pressure switches to regulate the pressure. hard to syncronise two regulators . one pump will always turn on before the other .
C.T. :wink:

Tom Brown
07-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks, CT.
I'm looking for something quick and easy so I can paint in my second shop. I've got a shop with a real compressor that has plenty of capacity for a DA sander and painting but I'd like to be able to move the dirty paint work over to a shop that doesn't have a big honking industrial compressor.

rrrr
07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
That's what I did to run a die grinder polishing stuff. Two 3.5 CFM compressors together = 7 CFM. Worked just fine.
Oh, and that's 5 and 9 CFM Canadian. :crossx:

Tom Brown
07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
That's what I did to run a die grinder polishing stuff. Two 3.5 CFM compressors together = 7 CFM. Worked just fine.
Oh, and that's 5 and 9 CFM Canadian. :crossx:
Thanks, bud. :)

OCMerrill
07-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I have done this many times.
Tie two pancake compressors together to run a large impact gun to get the wheels off my Isuzu NPR Trucks. Works perfect.

Jbb
07-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks, CT.
dirty paint work
There is gold in that... "dirty paint work".... :p

phebus
07-26-2006, 07:42 AM
This looks like a battery thread :D

mickeyfinn
07-26-2006, 07:46 AM
See the above post....important for it to work correctly, tie them tothe zame pressure switch.

Tom Brown
07-26-2006, 08:14 AM
See the above post....important for it to work correctly, tie them tothe zame pressure switch.
These things are rated at 15A. My shop has 20A circuits. If I put two compressors on the zame circuit, I would imagine the start load would go well beyond 20A.
Thanks, everyone. :)

Tom Brown
07-26-2006, 08:14 AM
There is gold in that... "dirty paint work".... :p
Not the way I do it.

rrrr
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Not in my experience. If they are set at the same cutin and cutout, and the regulators are set to the same pressure, what's the difference?

mickeyfinn
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
These things are rated at 15A. My shop has 20A circuits. If I put two compressors on the zame circuit, I would imagine the start load would go well beyond 20A.
Thanks, everyone. :)
Not in my experience. If they are set at the same cutin and cutout, and the regulators are set to the same pressure, what's the difference?
You are both right, however it can be tricky to get them set exactly the same. If the small bumps in pressure don't matter then it is not a problem.

sorry dog
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Done this before on an industrial application with two 7.5hp single stage compressors. Each had it's own regulator but it didn't seem to be a problems as long as the others regulator was still with the cut on cut off points...that way the extra one shares the work before the first has to kick on again.
I have read and was told NOT to do this with 2 stage compressors.

Jbb
07-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Man up and buy the right tool for the job ............Brown...... :cool:

OCMerrill
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I have never had a pressure switch issue. They do try and balance the air a bit but the idea is to have the air leave the compressors.
Air out = Paint on = $$$??

Tom Brown
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Man up and buy the right tool for the job ............Brown...... :cool:
Hey... I'm only a widdle guy.
If this idea doesn't work, I'll revert to using a roller.

Cheap Thrills
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Gee I had no idea that a simple question would lead to such a pissing match. Ok what the hell was I thinking this is HB. :argue: :D

rrrr
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Gee I had no idea that a simple question would lead to such a pissing match. Ok what the hell was I thinking this is HB. :argue: :D
LOL.....who's pissing? I'm right..... :crossx: :D
The compressors compress air, the storage tanks store it, and the regulators let it out. I't doesn't make a shit whether the compressors are synchronized or even painted the same color. The stuff you want is in the tanks.
Put a tee on the compressor tank outlets, add a quick disconnect, and put a hose between 'em. Now it's one big tank. Paint. Polish. Jackhammer. Whatever....
This is the result of over 100 hours of polishing, two compressors running just fine in tandem:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109100_1411.JPG

Rexone
07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Tom I once rigged 17 compressors together for a truck lug nut changing race we sponsored back in the 80's. Got a bit noisy but no problems. Just turned the volume up on the boom box playin my Air Supply cassette and let er rip. The ol lectric meter was a whirlin though.

Cheap Thrills
07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
LOL.....who's pissing? I'm right..... :crossx: :D
The compressors compress air, the storage tanks store it, and the regulators let it out. I't doesn't make a shit whether the compressors are synchronized or even painted the same color. The stuff you want is in the tanks.
Put a tee on the compressor tank outlets, add a quick disconnect, and put a hose between 'em. Now it's one big tank. Paint. Polish. Jackhammer. Whatever....
This is the result of over 100 hours of polishing, two compressors running just fine in tandem:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109100_1411.JPG
So ? you want a fukkin cookie or what ? :rolleyes: :D
When I run two compressors in tandem I want them syncronised (one switch less build time).
I guess if all I was doing was spinning a die grinder worrying about how pretty my girly boat was then I woulnd't care if one came on before the other. :D
To each it's own. It works either way .

rrrr
07-26-2006, 02:20 PM
LOL :crossx: