PDA

View Full Version : When there is a will, there is a way...

HM
07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I live in a small community with our own private lake, Canyon Lake.
Very strict rules and one of the rules is boats are limited to 21 ft. Now, they had just gone off of people's registration on boat length to determine if the boat was 21 ft, but a couple of local boat mfg's actually produced registration for some boats that were 23' that said they were 21'. Our HOA got wind of it and changed their policy and now they physically measure boats. Some boats that had been on the lake for years were disallowed as they measure bow to stern...including the swim step if it is an integral design. The ski boats usually have a removable swim step, so that is not counted. Some people were pretty upset about the boat length issue, and they did make some exceptions based on the swim step.
Now, a young guy gets thinking....he has a 23' MB boat that is not allowed, but gets a bright idea. He goes out and gets someone to make 2' of his bow removable. The boat actually does not need the extra 2' for all intensive purposes. He takes it down to the HOA to get approval for use on the lake, and they give it to him, because the boat measures just under 21' with the swim step and bow piece removed. Now, the kicker is, he is actually allowed to use the boat with the bow piece in...since it is removable, like the swim step. It actually looks quite trick. The kid spent $4K on the modification which was a better option than selling the boat and having to buy a new one as he would have taken a bath of like $10K.

RitcheyRch
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
How much is the yearly pass these days to put your boat on the lake?

Dan Lorenze
07-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I'd love to see some pics of the modified bow... You'd think that the HOA would grandfather in the boats that have been there a while, only seems fair.

Dub C
07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
John Cranny the MB boats owner lives in canyon lake and wrote a lengthy letter about it since their boat is a 23 footer and they sponser the valdez brothers who are pro wakeboarders, I heard they were going to not allow the modification?!? I have seen the modified boat on the water before and I'm pretty sure there is at least two since I saw one at fiesta day at the lodge modified. NICE BOAT. http://www.thefridayflyer.com/FF-2006-6-30/FFS-4681.htm
Editor, The Friday Flyer:
Canyon Lake is known as one of the best water-recreation communities. The 21-ft. length limit excludes some of the most desirable boats from being able to utilize the lake, and frustrates many homeowners and prospective homeowners. Boat manufacturers such as Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Tige and MB Sports are selling their 23-ft. boats much faster than the smaller 21-ft. boats because the wake size and shape is better, and there is more room for storage and passengers. Why shouldn’t the residents of our valued community be able to buy and use the most valued recreational boats?
This is also an issue that will affect property values. As more and more watersport-involved families purchase 23-ft. boats, less and less families will consider a purchase in a lake community where the length limit excludes their boats.
When the 21-ft. length limit was made, smaller boats were the norm. Now, things are changing. Houses are bigger, garages are bigger, cars are bigger, and our boats are bigger, too. Canyon Lake’s 21-ft. boat length rule is ready for an update.
John Cranny
President, MB Boats

Dub C
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
here it is!
http://www.mbboats.com/nosejobslide.htm
they have a new boat called the tomcat, NICE :220v:

h2oski2fast
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
John Cranny the MB boats owner lives in canyon lake and wrote a lengthy letter about it since their boat is a 23 footer and they sponser the valdez brothers who are pro wakeboarders, I heard they were going to not allow the modification?!? I have seen the modified boat on the water before and I'm pretty sure there is at least two since I saw one at fiesta day at the lodge modified. NICE BOAT. http://www.thefridayflyer.com/FF-2006-6-30/FFS-4681.htm
Editor, The Friday Flyer:
Canyon Lake is known as one of the best water-recreation communities. The 21-ft. length limit excludes some of the most desirable boats from being able to utilize the lake, and frustrates many homeowners and prospective homeowners. Boat manufacturers such as Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Tige and MB Sports are selling their 23-ft. boats much faster than the smaller 21-ft. boats because the wake size and shape is better, and there is more room for storage and passengers. Why shouldn’t the residents of our valued community be able to buy and use the most valued recreational boats?
This is also an issue that will affect property values. As more and more watersport-involved families purchase 23-ft. boats, less and less families will consider a purchase in a lake community where the length limit excludes their boats.
When the 21-ft. length limit was made, smaller boats were the norm. Now, things are changing. Houses are bigger, garages are bigger, cars are bigger, and our boats are bigger, too. Canyon Lake’s 21-ft. boat length rule is ready for an update.
John Cranny
President, MB Boats
I guess when everyone decides to buy 25' boats they should up the limit? What about when 30+' boats are the norm?

Dub C
07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
they need to make the lake bigger :crossx:
Their problem is these huge wakes end up eroding people waterfront backyards and seawalls. When it rained heavily last year in january, I saw docks completely underwater!

Legal Chemistry
07-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a buddy which has a Hallet w/1' lopped off the front... just to be "legal" on Big Bear Lake. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Some of you folks may have seen him on Havi, Psycho Therapy. I think the name fits perfect (a least for someone with a foot off their Hallet.)

Racer277
07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
We parked next to one at the sandbar.
About 2' removable, done very professionally though.
Kind of makes you wonder why it's there in the first place.
I asked, she said the prev. owners lived on a ski lake with the length restriction.

Dan Lorenze
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www.mbboats.com/nosejob_8x6.jpg
Nice nose job...

DeeCandyBar
07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
The boat actually does not need the extra 2' for all intensive purposes.
Guffaw guffaw guffaw! (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html)

2Driver
07-26-2006, 02:57 PM
http://www.mbboats.com/nosejob_8x6.jpg
Nice nose job...
I"d be surprised if the nose cone holds up trailering down the highway. Wonder how it was done?

gmocnik
07-26-2006, 03:02 PM
been property owners at canyon lake for twenty years...great community...
parents have lakefront home built 15 years ago...
just my old fart opinion but 21 feet is plenty on this tiny lake. the wakes created by the wakeboard boats cause all sorts of dock and shoreline damage...bigger boats=more damage
i'll give the guy credit for creativly trying to cheat the system but maybe just complying with the 21 foot limit seems more appropriate. just my opinion but sort of like buying property under the flight path and then complaining about the noise....

Riomouse911
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Canyon Lake is a tiny lake, and I bet on weekends it feels like the old days at Copper Canyon. I can just imagine the thrills of navagating a big boat around in that lake on a hot Saturday afternoon. I bet the original intent of the rule was to limit the impact of wakes on waterskiing, as most closed-bow boats from the 80's and 90's were maxed at 20' and Skiers ruled the roost at CL. I know when wakeboarding started out, weighted boats were restricted to operating in "the narrows", to limit wake damage to the shore and the effects on the skiing. However, if it's a rule they have, I guess it's a rule the lake users have to follow. Nothing says an owner can't buy a big Tige', MC, Nautique,MB, Lavey, Advantage, or whatever... you'll just have to use it elsewhere (like Elsinore, 15 miles away).

HM
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
been property owners at canyon lake for twenty years...great community...
parents have lakefront home built 15 years ago...
just my old fart opinion but 21 feet is plenty on this tiny lake. the wakes created by the wakeboard boats cause all sorts of dock and shoreline damage...bigger boats=more damage
i'll give the guy credit for creativly trying to cheat the system but maybe just complying with the 21 foot limit seems more appropriate. just my opinion but sort of like buying property under the flight path and then complaining about the noise....
I agree with you. I think 21 ft should be the limit - I don't want that changed. I thought it was pretty creative what this guy did. So, a few people get around it with 23' boats by cheating the system. You won't find 25' boats lopping off 4' to be legal. You let 23'boats on the lake, then the 25' boats want to be on too.
The letter by the guy at MB boats talks about sales of boats and how they are selling less 21' boats these days. The 21' rule was put in place based on safety, not sales - so that point is relevant. He tries to make it relevent by saying people will not buy in canyon lake because of this and drive current residents away? Really? How many lakes can you own waterfront property on and use a recreational boat on in CA? How many places can they go and have exclusive use of a protected ski course and channel? The lake is tiny and a 21' boat is plenty of boat for this lake. The fact that people want bigger boats for the other waterways they use is just something they have to consider when they live in Canyon Lake. This is not a new rule, but it has sparked contraversy as handful of people try to beat/cheat the system. The lake definitely needs to have a length limit. The line was drawn at 21'...people just need to deal with it or they can live where with the same amenities?

HM
07-27-2006, 08:16 AM
How much is the yearly pass these days to put your boat on the lake?
You have to own property to get on the lake. I think the fee is $230. I dunno, the wife pays it.

HM
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey Holy Moly, it's "intents and purposes."
Shit...I have gotten that wrong for a long time. Who says you can't learn anything on HB? :D

HM
07-27-2006, 08:21 AM
... I heard they were going to not allow the modification?!?
That is possible, but this kid was on the lake and he recently got it approved.

Riverkid
07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
They have been chopping the beaks off 42' Fountains to comply with the old 39' 0" max boat length rule at the Catalina Race for years. I think Ferguson was the first to do it. I guess this idea finally caught on down there, too?
How's the water these days HM? Just like Elsinore? :)

HM
07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
They have been chopping the beaks off 42' Fountains to comply with the old 39' 0" max boat length rule at the Catalina Race for years. I think Ferguson was the first to do it. I guess this idea finally caught on down there, too?
How's the water these days HM? Just like Elsinore? :)
They got the new solar mixers on the lake that is supposed to make the water less green and clearer as the theory is by keeping the water moving, the algea doesnt grow or something like that.
I went skiing this morning and the water is probably 82 degrees or higher. It was warmer in the water than the air.

gmocnik
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree with you. I think 21 ft should be the limit - I don't want that changed. I thought it was pretty creative what this guy did. So, a few people get around it with 23' boats by cheating the system. You won't find 25' boats lopping off 4' to be legal. You let 23'boats on the lake, then the 25' boats want to be on too.
The letter by the guy at MB boats talks about sales of boats and how they are selling less 21' boats these days. The 21' rule was put in place based on safety, not sales - so that point is relevant. He tries to make it relevent by saying people will not buy in canyon lake because of this and drive current residents away? Really? How many lakes can you own waterfront property on and use a recreational boat on in CA? How many places can they go and have exclusive use of a protected ski course and channel? The lake is tiny and a 21' boat is plenty of boat for this lake. The fact that people want bigger boats for the other waterways they use is just something they have to consider when they live in Canyon Lake. This is not a new rule, but it has sparked contraversy as handful of people try to beat/cheat the system. The lake definitely needs to have a length limit. The line was drawn at 21'...people just need to deal with it or they can live where with the same amenities?
The HOA has been pretty successful keeping motorcycles out of the community so I think they will probably prevail on this 21 foot deal also. CL is a great place. nothing compares to it in so cal. property values have done very well lately and i believe the uniqueness of the area will keep prices up. luckily we are on the "no wake" side of the causeway so the wake damage is not as much of an issue.

Kachina26
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Guffaw guffaw guffaw! (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html)
Thank you :D