PDA

View Full Version : Boat Luxury Tax?

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 06:22 AM
What happens if you don't pay it in CA?
Right now my boat has CA registration, but has been kept and used in Nevada for more than a year. I received a notice from the County asking me to fill out information about the boat. Yeah right. Just as soon as I do that, I'll receive a nice tax bill for it.
So, the plan is to switch it over to NV registration, let CA know that it isn't even kept or used here and not pay them.
Anybody have any experience with this?

DeeCandyBar
07-27-2006, 06:26 AM
don't mess with this - they will screw your credit up in a hurry. they will put a lien on your credit and it will stay there for a year or more (they put it on quickly but take forever to take it off).
pay it and then get the boat registered in AZ and let them know it (send the information by certified mail return receipt requested). once they have you they won't let go.

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Even if I have the boat registered in NV before I send the form back?
It would seem to me that if the boat were registered in another state upon submission of that form, and I can prove the boat hasn't even been in CA since I bought it, CA wouldn't have any right to anything.

acatitude
07-27-2006, 08:21 AM
if you own a house in ca, and dont respond or pay it , you will get a notice of lien attached to your home..... I had an issue with them on a boat i had sold and started calling and explaining what happened and I just recently got a letter stating the lien had been removed. its a little fustrating bit start the phone calls.... They were very fair and helpful..... if you can believe that from a state worker :boxed:

racecar.hotshoe
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I pay $1500 a year it blows.............................

Screemy1
07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
I have my boat in AZ reg and trailer in CA.... they gave me a little crap when registering the trailer... but I made it through... I pay non resident az fees.... they raised from 80 bucks last year to 220 this year... is that still cheaper then CA??? it is an old 78 jet boat....

DILLIGAF
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
What happens if you don't pay it in CA?
Right now my boat has CA registration, but has been kept and used in Nevada for more than a year. I received a notice from the County asking me to fill out information about the boat. Yeah right. Just as soon as I do that, I'll receive a nice tax bill for it.
So, the plan is to switch it over to NV registration, let CA know that it isn't even kept or used here and not pay them.
Anybody have any experience with this?
If it is reg in CA for even 1 day you will have to pay the luxury tax. If you go right now and reg in NV you will still have to pay for this year also.

Havasu Luvr
07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
If the boat is reg. one second after midnight you will pay this tax for the whole year, there is NO pro-rate system. Even if you reg it in the State of Nev now you will be liable for this tax next year....

Steamin' Rice
07-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Get out your checkbook and get ready to pay the tax. If your boat is used and stored out of state, then get your registration changed so that it is out of state before the end of this year, or you will also need to pay the tax in 2007.

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 09:14 AM
So the point is I will probably be liable for the tax for last year (I bought the boat in May of last year) as well as for the tax this year, which will be due next year, right?
My objective then will be to get the boat registered in NV before January 1 to avoid a CA tax to be due in 2008.
Correct?
For now, they just sent me the questionnaire about the boat. You can bet I'll make the boat sound as cheap and as broken down as possible so as to lower the perceived value of it. Hopefully less value = less tax.
It just seems focking ridiculous that those of us who work hard enough and are consequently able to afford toys like this have to pay extra to the state so they can waste it on dickheads (legal or otherwise) that leach off of the system and suck up public services. Infuriating, really.

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Bend over buddy...You're registered in Ca. the tax is due like everyone else said....But get the boat reg changed before year end so next year you can tell 'em to go pound sand.....
:D

Ultra5150
07-27-2006, 09:18 AM
I had my old boat registered in CA but only used and stored it in AZ. I showed them all my storage bills and they waived the tax. The bad part is while I was appealing the tax, they put a lien on my house. They corrected the invalid lien and sent me a letter saying it was done in error, but it still jacked up my credit for about a year. Even if you have it taken off, it will pop back up the next month for about six months. Be careful....

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:21 AM
So the point is I will probably be liable for the tax for last year (I bought the boat in May of last year) as well as for the tax this year, which will be due next year, right?
My objective then will be to get the boat registered in NV before January 1 to avoid a CA tax to be due in 2008.
Correct?
For now, they just sent me the questionnaire about the boat. You can bet I'll make the boat sound as cheap and as broken down as possible so as to lower the perceived value of it. Hopefully less value = less tax.
It just seems focking ridiculous that those of us who work hard enough and are consequently able to afford toys like this have to pay extra to the state so they can waste it on dickheads (legal or otherwise) that leach off of the system and suck up public services. Infuriating, really.
If you consider the cost of the boat reg in Ca. vs. the other states its way cheap, so this luxury tax(like a 1% property tax) makes up the difference. Weigh it out yourself and see if one way or the other works best monitarily, thats what I did. Right now non-resident AZ reg still works out a few bucks less, when it goes the other way around I may change it again.

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 09:34 AM
If you consider the cost of the boat reg in Ca. vs. the other states its way cheap, so this luxury tax(like a 1% property tax) makes up the difference. Weigh it out yourself and see if one way or the other works best monitarily, thats what I did. Right now non-resident AZ reg still works out a few bucks less, when it goes the other way around I may change it again.
Did that. NV is still cheaper.
Is 1% of value what they charge? If so, how do they arrive at what the value actually is? Doesn't seem fair to go by the sales price more than a year ago.
It's worth a whole lot more now. ;)

Steamin' Rice
07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
I have my boat in AZ reg and trailer in CA.... they gave me a little crap when registering the trailer... but I made it through... I pay non resident az fees.... they raised from 80 bucks last year to 220 this year... is that still cheaper then CA??? it is an old 78 jet boat....
What is the value of your boat? The personal property tax in CA is 1% of the value of the boat. If your boat is valued at less than $22,000, then you would save money by registering in CA and paying the property tax.

Titan7
07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Luxury tax?? What the heck is this? I thought all you pay is the reg. every year? How much is this luxury tax?

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Did that. NV is still cheaper.
Is 1% of value what they charge? If so, how do they arrive at what the value actually is? Doesn't seem fair to go by the sales price more than a year ago.
It's worth a whole lot more now. ;)
I believe they use NADA values unless you tell them otherwise. If your boat is that new go Nev...........it'll be years before it balances back the other way.
Steamin Rice has the right figure I'd say where it'd be negligable.

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Luxury tax?? What the heck is this? I thought all you pay is the reg. every year? How much is this luxury tax?
Titan, stand by to copy the tax bill if your boat is worth quite a bit of money.
Here in CA, those that work harder and can afford more get to pay extra. The shitheads that don't work and make a burden on society need our money so they can be supported. Our property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes and vehicle registrations apparently aren't enough...

Havasu Luvr
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Correct?
YES ! ! ! correct, the tax you are paying now is for last year. You will also pay this tax in Aug 2007 for 2006...so you will need to change reg to another state prior to 01 Jan 2007

Titan7
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
So on a $40-60k boat there is a 1% tax ON TOP of the reg? That's F-ing crazy!!!! Wow, who get's the luxury, us by working our A$$es off or the people we are giving the free ride to. So if I purchase a new boat how would I register it in AZ?

Wizard29
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
So on a $40-60k boat there is a 1% tax ON TOP of the reg? That's F-ing crazy!!!! Wow, who get's the luxury, us by working our A$$es off or the people we are giving the free ride to. So if I purchase a new boat how would I register it in AZ?
Yes, luxury tax on top of the registration AND the sales tax you already paid to buy the boat in the first place. Smells like Feinstein or Boxer, doesn't it? Or at least some Democrat SOB that believes in taking from those that have and giving to those that have-not in order to level the playing field. Bullshit.
I don't know how AZ does it, but I can go to an NV Fish and Game office in person with my paperwork and take care of the registration right there. Problem is the most convenient one for me is in Henderson and they aren't open on weekends.

rvrtoy
07-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Show them proof of where the boat is stored (out side the state of California)and they will wave the usage tax.

Titan7
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks, is the luxury tax a one time deal or every year??

Deano
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
every year... it sucks. Prove that you store it out of the county where you live and they will wave it. Its not easy. I had my boat stored in Havasu from the end of January last year. They said I was shit outa luck..I am shelling out about 75 bucks a month for this crap. plus reg, fuel tax, road tax, breathing tax, you name it. fukers :crossx:

Jyruiz
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Every year till it drops below a certain valued price, I don't know what that price is though.

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Its an annual thing...Like Christmas :)

Riomouse911
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Since Ca residents pay 10 bucks or so for boat reg, they hit us with the 1% tax on "luxury items". This is for million-dollar 55 foot Carvers down in Newport all the way to the 8k Bayliner your friend's brother-in-law bought last week ....Az jacked up their fees because so many Ca residents register their stuff out of state, they figured why not cash in on the deal. Ya, the tax sucks, but it's a lot better than no tax and "user fees" tacked on every time you do something. (I just got in from Boston on Sunday. There's a damn 1$ toll booth on each turnpike every 5 miles back East.) You pay now, or pay later, but either way they get their money no matter what. Just wait until someone gets the idea to base annual registration of both boats and trailers on the sales amount like they do on our cars. Then annual reg will be $600-$700-$800 and up for some Eliminator/Lavey/DCB/etc. owners.

Classic Daycruiser
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Does luxury Tax apply to the tow rig as well???
$100,000 boat
$ 50,000 Tow Rig
-----------------
$150,000 Total
X .01 (1% tax)
------------------
$ 1500 (Luxury Tax/per year)
$ 6,500 (insurance)
$ 12,000 (Boat Payment)yr x 20 years
$ 3,000 (Dry storage)yr
---------------------
$ 22,500yr :) Sorry that does not include fuel, maint., Hotel, and food.

Ryphraph
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Doesnt' the property tax bill come from the county you live in? I got one from LA County where I live. I told them that my boat is parked in San Bernardino county has never been to LA County. I never heard from them again. It is important to have the address where the boat is parked listed on your reg card.
Ryph

Parker Dreamin
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Does luxury Tax apply to the tow rig as well???
$100,000 boat
$ 50,000 Tow Rig
-----------------
$150,000 Total
X .01 (1% tax)
------------------
$ 15,000 (Luxury Tax/per year)
$ 6,500 (insurance)
$ 12,000 (Boat Payment)yr x 20 years
$ 3,000 (Dry storage)yr
---------------------
$ 26,500yr :) Sorry that does not include fuel, maint., Hotel, and food.
Is there something wrong here ?

Deano
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
ya, subtract 13,500 from the 10% listed :rollside:

ParkerSteve
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Be sure to reg the trailer too. Then send a change of address to the DMV. Its one way the tax man finds you. Save copies and send address change to tax man...I.ve been there....

RitcheyRch
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
I think is only LA & Orange County but then I could be wrong.
Doesnt' the property tax bill come from the county you live in? I got one from LA County where I live. I told them that my boat is parked in San Bernardino county has never been to LA County. I never heard from them again. It is important to have the address where the boat is parked listed on your reg card.
Ryph

Wizard29
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm just going to do my best to prove that the boat isn't even in San Bernardino County. It's been up at our place in Cottonwood since I bought it, so the storage out of state thing is a true story.
I just hope they accept the proof I can give...

Riomouse911
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
It's a County by County thing. LA County is pretty quick to deliver the bill. When I lived in San Bernardino County I never once got a tax bill for my first boat. I have no idea why, they just never sent me one. I moved to Riverside County two years ago, and these dudes are sharks. I had my boat-value assessment form about the same time my trailer plates came in the mail.
As a matter of fact, when I was putting in my pool they sent me an assessment form before the pool was half-way done. Since the pool wasn't done, I didn't return it right away, because I didn't have the final cost. I get a knock at the door about 3 weeks later, and the assor's office dude is on the porch to assess the pool. I took him in the yard and showed him there wasn't even gunite sprayed yet, and he was kind enough to low-ball the estimated worth by a couple-thousand. Either way, I was forced to send a check for my "supplemental tax bill" before I was even swimming in the damn thing. I guess my point is, pay it if you owe it, and if your boat is out of state reg it and the trailer there ASAP to avoid next years bill.

Mohave Vice
07-29-2006, 09:18 PM
There shouldn't be any luxury tax on your boat. Register in Cali and save some $$

acatitude
07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
yup I do exactly the same thing and had the same increase, but its still cheaper then the tax id owe in calif . I didnt have any problem with the trailer, but they probably didnt know what kind of trailer it was..
whats your boat worth??? then youll know.... its cheaper for me this way, and I dont want to have to change the numbers again on my boat

C-2
07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
IT'S NOT A LUXURY TAX!!!!
This topic can be searched out as it has been discussed many, many times. Since nothing is going on, I’ll give ya the cliff notes. :)
It’s not a luxury tax.
CA repealed their luxury tax levy in the late 90’s(?).
You are paying personal property tax.
It’s collected by whatever county you reside in, or store the boat at, or even where you have a slip. The tax has been around since, well, taxes have.
The tax is pretty much the same as your “secured”, or regular property tax. It’s based upon an assessed value; assessed year after year. Usually about 1.1% of assessed value although local county assessments could also change that amount.
The counties and state share info with each other – info from DMV, county assessor, BOE, and any other taxing agency there is. I’ve even heard neighboring states are starting to share info. In Cali – they even walk the docks to identify boats. So if you think you’re gonna outsmart them – good luck.
--
Like your property tax – if you don’t pay it, they will lien you.
Theoretically they could take it to a tax lien sale, again the same as secured taxes.
A tax lien doesn’t actually attach to your house; but rather anything you own. Houses get caught up in it since a tax lien appears on a title search and by operation of law, must be paid before title can transfer (the same holds true for state/IRS tax liens, abatement liens, child support liens, and judgments).
A tax lien is a tax lien is a tax lien.
FICO scoring models don’t differentiate between an open $1 tax lien, and a $10 million dollar lien. It scores them the same and it will nail your score by about 30-40 points.
Once they file the lien – it’s public record and not going anywhere. They can’t simply change public records. At best they will correct it from reporting the following year; and it MIGHT get removed by a credit reporting agency (Experian, Trans Union or Equifax). But then again, it might get reported by these same agencies again in the future. They love doing that.
If the lien was correct, at best, your credit report will reflect a paid tax lien status. Better than unpaid, but a blemish nonetheless for the next seven years (actually tax liens are reported seven years from the date the lien IS PAID, not filed.)
--
My neighbor didn’t listen to me. Said he sent several letters, there is no way he is paying it; he wasn’t worried about it. He just got a response back in the form of a tax lien. Like most taxing authorities – they lien first and ask questions later.
Bottom line – don’t mess with the personal property tax. If a $300-$400 lien separates A paper from C paper when applying for a mortgage, just pay it.
Search it for the out of state solution - which isn't much of a solution any longer since they changed non-resident fees.
:)