PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Ball Gouged

Patyacht
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
I pulled a guys trailer about 5 miles yesterday with no boat on it and then backed it up a few feet. Had trouble unhooking and this is what the ball looked liked like. Any ideas on what caused it. We did not see anything unusual.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3180IMGA0301_Small_.JPG

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
there are 4 things I can think of that can cuase that.
1. hitch is way to tight.
2. ball is to big( IE 1 7/8th hitch on a 2 inch ball.)
3. something was in the hitch or on the ball.( sand small rocks...)
4. damage to the hitch. think dent( like from some 1 backing up into it.)

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Nine times out of ten that gouge is from trying to put the boat on it with the lock down. It "eyebrows" the ball where it sits down on it. You usually have to pop it back up, drop the lock and re-lower the trailer.
Pretty normal wear actually... Mine are thrashed.

YeLLowBoaT
07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
now that I see a pic ( 1st post was pre pic) that looks pretty normal.

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Looking again at the picture, that is a 2 5/16 ball. Perhaps you had too large of a ball for the trailer like was mentioned earlier? If not, that means it is on a larger boat, so my theory is intact about putting it on with the lock jammed down...

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I've never had a damaged Ball, that looks very dry and like it had to be debris in there to make that much of a cut with nary any weight on trailer.
One thing I'm diligent on is ball, chains and latches. A big glob of grease on the ball before lowering hitch...usually lasts all season unless you get it dirty.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Looks like all of mine.
'Galling" is normal.

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I've never had a damaged Ball, that looks very dry and like it had to be debris in there to make that much of a cut with nary any weight on trailer.
One thing I'm diligent on is ball, chains and latches. A big glob of grease on the ball before lowering hitch...usually lasts all season unless you get it dirty.
I never grease the ball anymore. It seems to attract more wear-causing dirt than anything else. Plus, it makes storage a nightmare. I am not saying don't do it, but the hitch is a pretty dumb creature and isn't exactly a tight tolerance deal...

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
That ball would be in the trash with me.........
Looking closer, its a 2 5/16 ball, maybe the trailer was a 2" and it was on virgin butt tight...I could see damage resulting from putting something big into a tight spot ;) :D
Wes, gotta keep dem balls clean just like personal hygene...LOL

Patyacht
07-27-2006, 09:44 AM
now that I see a pic ( 1st post was pre pic) that looks pretty normal.
I pull boats all the time in my business. Never had this occur. I had fresh grease on the ball. Looks dry now cus I wiped it off to see the damage.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Wes, gotta keep dem balls clean just like personal hygene...LOL
I'd cover it, It's against the law to go around with you balls showing.

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd cover it, It's against the law to go around with you balls showing.
LMAO...tell that to the guys that have 'em hanging from truck differentials :D
Get a new one Pat, that one's been ridden hard and put away wet....I'd take a look at the trailer latch and make sure it's all in one piece too.....

H2oracer
07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
The damage looks like it was caused by downward motion. The coupler may have been locked on top of the ball . In any case toss the ball it will damage a good coupler. I have seen that some balls unscrew because of no grease.

RiverDave
07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
I never grease the ball anymore. It seems to attract more wear-causing dirt than anything else. Plus, it makes storage a nightmare. I am not saying don't do it, but the hitch is a pretty dumb creature and isn't exactly a tight tolerance deal...
You should grease the balls.. The balls get galled up pretty quick if you don't, but more importantly the receiver on the trailer gets galled up as well (not so easily replaced). When the surfaces aren't smooth (even if there is grease after the surfaces are not smooth) just average driving with the tongue weight of the trailer can create a TREMENDOUS amount of heat.
I won't deny though, that both my balls don't look much if any better then that.. I drag my balls on the ground quite a bit becuase they hang low when I'm pulling my car hauler.. (rapid hitch) Occasionally though I'll clean my balls up with a file, but it's about time that I ordered some new balls.. These are getting pretty hairy.
RD

Patyacht
07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
The damage looks like it was caused by downward motion. The coupler may have been locked on top of the ball . In any case toss the ball it will damage a good coupler. I have seen that some balls unscrew because of no grease.
I think you are right. I was not the guy doing the hook-up I was driving. It's a Rapid Hitch and I think the ball can be replaced but may take a special tool.

HM
07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Tossing the ball on that hitch is not a great option. Look at the picture, that is the billet hitch. That has a 2" ball below it and is pressed into part of the billet hitch.
There is nothing wrong with that ball from a safety stand point.

phebus
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
That ball looks great compared to mine, and I have the same hitch. Pretty isn't an option, just run it.

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I think you are right. I was not the guy doing the hook-up I was driving. It's a Rapid Hitch and I think the ball can be replaced but may take a special tool.
It is actually easy to replace... pull the reciever part off of the drop part and look at the back side of the slide. You will see a little pin that pops out and the ball drops out of it. Easy day.
I wouldn't replace it though. If you need to for mental security, dress it with a file as was suggested and call it a day.

RiverDave
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Tossing the ball on that hitch is not a great option. Look at the picture, that is the billet hitch. That has a 2" ball below it and is pressed into part of the billet hitch.
There is nothing wrong with that ball from a safety stand point.
You can replace the balls in those billet hitches.. Never done it, but from what I understand it's not difficult? I think there's just a small pin or something in the side of it? I'll look at mine later.
On another thing, as others have suggested.. If you take the high spots off with a file, then you'll have a custom trailer ball with "greese grooves." ;) :D
RD

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Or, it could have been caused from dropping the latch on it. Dress it up with a file and be done. You can remove it with a pin on the back...
I feel like I am taking crazy pills... People don't read whole threads anymore before posting do they...
Maybe I am just irritable from the two Monsters I have downed already today...

DeeCandyBar
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
you guys are all anal about your balls. grease, no grease, file, no file, old balls, new balls. there ain't nothin' wrong with that ball and no, they don't need to be greased.

Hal
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
That ball looks like it has 2-9/16 not 2-5/16 on it. Probably put a 2 1/2 reciever on it which made it fit to tight and just cut into the ball on the turns

Jbb
07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
You should grease your balls..
I won't deny though, that both my balls don't look much if any better then that.. I drag my balls on the ground quite a bit becuase they hang low. Occasionally though I'll clean my balls up with a file :jawdrop: but it's about time that I ordered some new balls.. These are getting pretty hairy.
RD
new balls indeed..... :p

Froggystyle
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
That ball looks like it has 2-9/16 not 2-5/16 on it. Probably put a 2 1/2 reciever on it which made it fit to tight and just cut into the ball on the turns
I didn't even know there was such a thing. I am almost certain that is a 2 5/16 though. The 2" ball is the "standard" for the smaller boats, he may have had the hitch upside down and had the bigger hitch up.

RitcheyRch
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I've never seen a 2 9/16 ball either. I thought the largest was 2 5/16.

rerfert
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Here is a tip for anyone out there pulling trailers (It's on you if it comes off).......If you did not hook it up yourself, always check out the other persons work (better yet if your going to pull it hook it up yourself)

Rexone
07-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I feel like I am taking crazy pills... People don't read whole threads anymore before posting do they....
oh yeah like they ever did lol :rolleyes:

Ziggy
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I didn't even know there was such a thing. I am almost certain that is a 2 5/16 though. The 2" ball is the "standard" for the smaller boats, he may have had the hitch upside down and had the bigger hitch up.
LOL-Talk about not reading all of the thread :p .....you echo my statement in post #9 ;) :D :D

Patyacht
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Nine times out of ten that gouge is from trying to put the boat on it with the lock down. It "eyebrows" the ball where it sits down on it. You usually have to pop it back up, drop the lock and re-lower the trailer.
Pretty normal wear actually... Mine are thrashed.
You were correct. Took the hitch in today to be inspected and confirmed my suspicions. Trailer was put on the ball when it was latched locked. Individual released the lock with some force and then re-locked without raising trailer so locking device could catch under the ball. Instead it rested on top of ball. I was lucky I did not loose the trailer. Must of had a great driver pulling that unlocked trailer!!!! :) :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 12:18 PM
You are extremely lucky you didnt lose the trailer.
You were correct. Took the hitch in today to be inspected and confirmed my suspicions. Trailer was put on the ball when it was latched locked. Individual released the lock with some force and then re-locked without raising trailer so locking device could catch under the ball. Instead it rested on top of ball. I was lucky I did not loose the trailer. Must of had a great driver pulling that unlocked trailer!!!! :) :rolleyes:

haulina29
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
My new Ellis trailer eats the ball like that in one trip it its locked on correctly I think who ever inspected your is full of shit.

phebus
07-31-2006, 08:55 PM
I agree. I bet if you buy a new ball, it looks just like that one in a few trips.
Who inspected it? Oliver Stone?

Hal
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I've never seen a 2 9/16 ball either. I thought the largest was 2 5/16.
Your right,I guess a 2 5/16 is the largest ball.

KACHINA KEN
07-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Dont think that size exists?

BajaMike
07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
34 posts of guys talking about their balls..... :idea:
:eat: :eat: :2purples: :2purples:

ROZ
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
34 posts of guys talking about their balls..... :idea:
:eat: :eat: :2purples: :2purples:
It got Ziggy and Phebus posting here, didn't it....
I heard they treat their balls pretty badly over at brokeblack meadow...

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 04:23 AM
I think so but I could be wrong.
Your right,I guess a 2 5/16 is the largest ball.