PDA

View Full Version : Boat resale value/Educated Opinions

cdog
07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
So IÂ’ve been on the market now for about 3 weeks and have had a couple of calls. Pretty random calls at that. Asking me if I own the boat out right....Yes.
Comparing my boat to a 1999 32 fountain with twins....Duh! Different kind of boating... The guy also said Bob @ SW quoted him a new 29 with the 525 for 89k.....Joker! :rolleyes:
It's really hard to nail a value on these kind of things. It's really only worth what the market will bear. Frenchies 2005 with twin 496's is 125k, Dabs 2002 with a single is 82-84k? And our boat 2005 for 96k. All very nice boats in different set ups. My boat looks to be the best bang for the $$$ thru my eyes....
What are your opinions?....Please save me the 20k BS. You just make yourself look like a stupid ass. I know where you can get the cream of the crop used bay liners for 20k. No sales tax saves you at least 5-7k from the get go. Here's a link to my beauty.. Let's hear it?????
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=1237

Jyruiz
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know anything about the resale and what the new ones are going for, but that is a nice boat, good luck with the sale.

FRENCHIE
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
hey brotha....was down talking to barry yesterday and its just a tough market right now!! sales have def slowed up.....your boat might be priced well and a good bang for the buck.....but not too many are buying...as in the past 2- 3years.
I am not dying to sell my boat, there is no time frame...and infact i might even have it until next summer still....there for i have not put it for sale at a steal for anyone!! i will not give it away...as i dont have to sell it!! i think it is worth waht im asking or real close to it....and i will consider close offers!!
unless you have a time frame or are in a predicatment....i think its is wise to start higher ... if you put it up for a steal or give away price....that is what will happen...youll end up givin it away...
things are just alot slower right now corey....but best of luck!!!... Leon :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Not getting any bites on our 29 Essex either.

River918
07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I've had a few lookers for mine also, but no-one wants to step up. I am in the same boat as Leon. I'd like to sell it, but I'm not going to give it away. If it doesn't sell, I'll have a bitchen boat for years to come that nobody could come close to buying for the price I am offering (At least with all the options I have). Actually, I am very pleased with the boat, it's just that there is always something "bigger/better" out there....
My suggestion: Ask what you think is the right price and if you don't HAVE to sell it, don't give it away...

HocusPocus
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
i think your boat could very well be priced right, but there just are not many buyers of used boats in that price range. i have found that people who are willing to spend that kind of cash on a boat, like to just buy it new. fuel prices also play a big part in the "***boat" market, then take in the fact that the summer is starting to wind down and kids are going to be back in school soon. its a crapshoot at times, good luck on the sale, i hope it all works out for you.

Cole Trickle
07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
All of the above mentioned boats are nice and should sell for close to what is asked given some time.
I think the market is going to be slow for awile.:(
Everybody is freaking out and holding onto there money right now.It will be alot harder on the big toy industry for a bit.(Boats,Trailers,motorhomes,sand toys)
When the market slows new boats are sold for less and that has a big effect on used boats.
I bet you can buy a new Ultra,Shockwave,etc... for cheaper today than you could a year ago.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
i think your boat could very well be priced right, but there just are not many buyers of used boats in that price range. i have found that people who are willing to spend that kind of cash on a boat, like to just buy it new.
I think this is true. Got ours priced at $85k, willing to take less but also do not want to give it away. To build it new would be over $120k. Fortunately it is paid for.

No Regrets
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
FWIW,
A buddy of mine was shopping and their mindset was stock power or they wouldnt even call on them. He was done risking getting towed. It seems evrything with other than Mercs or Ilmors tend to have be priced a little more agressively to offset the risk or the more frequent freshening. Obviously , motor guys wont think that way.
One buddy of mine had to really price his boat like a steal to get it sold because of non Merc power.
Another ordered a new boat w/ a 496 & put it in the boat he was selling to make it more salable, then put his motor in the new boat. Sold the old pretty quick.
Have you thought about putting that motor in your next boat?

One Particular Harbor
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I am sincerely interested in trading up to a 29' magnatude and would be all over your boat if it were an open bow. I've also taken a good look at DAB's, but my wife isn't sold on the graphics.
We went by Shockwave the other day to look at the new deckboat and to get pricing on a new magnatude. You would be surprised -- they are being extremely aggressive with pricing right now. Unfortunately, the soft new market will compress the used market as well.
Gas prices, interest rates, etc. are all factors in slowing down the market.
That being said, given what I know of your boat from the classified ad, my personal opinion is you are in the right ballpark with your initial pricing.
OPH

KineticoH20
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Timing is everything, sometimes it's a buyers market, sometimes sellers, last year I sold my Genesis 251 quick and made 10k selling it ie...sellers market, now buyers market and buyers know they can get more for thier money, either they are gonna catch someone behind the eight-ball and steal it or wait for someone who is or they are gonna buy new and negotiate a great deal because they know the builders need business to keep employee's happy and to keep up on overhead. It is a fact that in 2006 you can get alot better deals even cheaper than you bought in 2003 or 04. So im not surprised that those with 60k-70k would buy new in 06. just my 2cents.

2Driver
07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Few basic rules I go by:
. Sales drop starting around July 4th and go down from there.
. You can always find a buyer if it's priced low enough. But it doesn't sound like you are at that point of selling. Not a bad exercise to come to grips with your lowest price though. :cry:
. There are buyers out there for your boat, just not lots of them so it's a wait and advertise thing until the buyer comes along. It only takes one. Don't give up just yet summer's not over and it's a great boat.
. If you can wait out the winter remove the boat from the ads in a few weeks. Don't let it become a perpetual advertised boat. Re-run the ad in the trader during the LA boat show and again starting in April if it does not sell.
If you are going to run an ad run it all over the place, Online boating forums, ( NW offshore is another one) Trader in CA, AZ, NV, white sheet in LHC, Local newspaper. When I want something sold I saturate the market with the ad. TO me it's worth an extra $100-$200. Your goal is to find the guy with $100K that wants a used custom boat with a custom engine. It's not like selling a used Chaparral. :rollside:

cdog
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
All good points here. Glad to see we avoided the troll comments. My boat is paid for. I really don't have to sell it, but know I won't be using it much since we plan on kid time soon. While I would like to get top $$$ for it I am very realistic and just wanted to get some feed back. Thanks guy's... :rollside:

DAB
07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Cdog, just as all have pointed out it is a slow market and slower as summer ends.. just like everyone I'm not giving the thing away, don't have too.. just means longer before I can build the next.. but.. I may have found a buyer at the regatta, we'll see.. good luck with yours and btw it's a sweet boat.. don't let them grind you..

HocusPocus
07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Few basic rules I go by:
. Sales drop starting around July 4th and go down from there.
. You can always find a buyer if it's priced low enough. But it doesn't sound like you are at that point of selling. Not a bad exercise to come to grips with your lowest price though. :cry:
. There are buyers out there for your boat, just not lots of them so it's a wait and advertise thing until the buyer comes along. It only takes one. Don't give up just yet summer's not over and it's a great boat.
. If you can wait out the winter remove the boat from the ads in a few weeks. Don't let it become a perpetual advertised boat. Re-run the ad in the trader during the LA boat show and again starting in April if it does not sell.
If you are going to run an ad run it all over the place, Online boating forums, ( NW offshore is another one) Trader in CA, AZ, NV, white sheet in LHC, Local newspaper. When I want something sold I saturate the market with the ad. TO me it's worth an extra $100-$200. Your goal is to find the guy with $100K that wants a used custom boat with a custom engine. It's not like selling a used Chaparral. :rollside:
great advice to anyone selling a boat!
i ran into this awhile back, if people shopping for a boat sees yours advertised all the time, they begin to think there is a problem with it.
also you should list it on craigslist.org, in all the places within 500 miles of your location. the last two boats i sold were to a guy in northern california and one in texas. i have had very good luck with craigslist.org, its free plus you can post pics.
i also put up a website with lots of details about the boat and included loads of pics. that way i didn't have to answer all the same questions over and over, or email the same pics to each and every looky loo.
i don't know about the rest of you but i hate haggling prices over the phone, i just tell them to bring me sack of $100 bills, then we can talk price. :)

Magic34
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
First, if you have a nice boat worth good $$, plan on having it now until at least Feb or March. Most people at this point see about 60 days left in the season, even though many of us use them until November or so on a regular basis.
The last boat I sold was over the $100k mark and I put it up for sale in September, and didn't get any real activity until late Feb, early March.
Sales are flat everywhere in many different markets. Fuel prices are having people thinking a lot differently than they have in the past. Instead of looking at toys like boats, they are looking for good mpg cars to add for their daily drive.
The Merc power thing is true too, it is going to take a different buyer who knows what they are looking at to want a custom motor. This reason alone is why I have blue Merc motors and not a custom motor from Magic or Teague. Not saying those other options are not great options, just a majority of buyers look at Merc power as a long term reliable thing, whether that is true or not.

4DAY4PLAY
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
first of all CDOG you have one nice clean boat there, im surprised you havent had more interest. I sold my 2003 24' commander signature to the first person who looked at it..and didnt even put it in the trader, just in the spam forum...could i have gotten more for it??? probably, but it would have taken longer to sell, more test rides and tire kickers, so i priced it under market value a few thousand ( i think). I asked for 38k and got 38k, same boat, same year and less hours than another one on the boards for sale, and he's asking 45k, and its been listed all year(i think) so its all in how bad you want to sell it i guess. Good luck.

Titan7
07-27-2006, 08:08 PM
That Commander was nice deal!

Jyruiz
07-27-2006, 09:22 PM
That Commander was nice deal!
Yes it was, but it is easier to sell a boat for 38k than a boat for 80k and up.

Eliminator 4 Life
07-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes Im in the same boat I would like to sell mine I could care less if it sells but Im thinking of putting it on the market :cool:

DeeCandyBar
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
We went by Shockwave the other day to look at the new deckboat and to get pricing on a new magnatude. You would be surprised -- they are being extremely aggressive with pricing right now. Unfortunately, the soft new market will compress the used market as well.
Gas prices, interest rates, etc. are all factors in slowing down the market.
well said.
it's a buyer's market now both new and used. and due to the market conditions (interest rates & gas prices up), more people are putting their boats on the market making things even tougher.
just like the used car market - if you want to sell your boat price it right and it will move. those of you trying to sell your boat at what you think is a fair price may be wasting your time. it's not about "fair price" it's about what price will make it sell.
good luck - they're all great boats.

Kilrtoy
07-27-2006, 11:41 PM
What do you HONESTLY WANT FOR THE BOAT...
Price it at that price and things should happen quickly