PDA

View Full Version : Do you warm up your Transmission

2Driver
07-27-2006, 07:43 PM
I have the driveway from hell. I insist on taking the truck out for a mile or so before hooking up and pulling the boat out of the garage and down the driveway. I can't think about a cold trans pullling the boat right out the gate. :220v:
I also back up a slight incline into the garage using low 4x4. Seems to be easier on the trans? Any transmission peeps out there to shed some light?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Yep.
If it's been sitting a spell.

Goober
07-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Heat will kill a tranny. That is why people put a tranny cooler on them so they dont heat them up to much and kill them. It could not hurt to warm up the tranny but more heat will hurt the clutches in there.
IMO i think u should pull cold because the fluid is at 120 deg already if your truck has been sitting in the sun any ways.
<---- Done some tranny building.

Tom Brown
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I always heat my trany up in the winter time... because I can't move until it warms up a bit. :D
I shift into drive and rev the hell out of the engine until it starts to grab. If my balls are aching from the cold, that mutha fukka had best get itself into a mood to run. :D

Goober
07-27-2006, 08:40 PM
p.s. i would warm it up in the winter though just like Tom Brown said.

Tom Brown
07-27-2006, 08:44 PM
You know what's funny is when you have to wait 20 or 30 seconds for the transmission to start working (once it starts working, it runs normal in a really short time... maybe another minute) and then as you pull away, it feels like you're clomping over a bunch of 2x4 lumber because your tires have retained the flat spot they developed while they were sitting.
Things don't work as well as you might expect at -45 degrees.

Danhercules
07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
If your pulling your boat down the driveway, shouldt you warm up the breaks??? :220v: :rollside: :boxed:
Up it, yea, let the tranny wake up.

Daytona100
07-27-2006, 08:53 PM
GM allison transmissions are notorious for delayed engaugement cold. When parked for several days the converter drains back into the pan causing a delayed engaugement. Always a good idea to warm up your vehicle for a few minutes before you engauge the trans. :idea:

sorry dog
07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
when tom finally gets on down here... the maxima is gonna go on the loop... video will be taken...

sorry dog
07-27-2006, 09:01 PM
After a couple of 2nd to 3rd crunches I go for the 8000 cutoff and consider it warm after that.

RidinRed
07-27-2006, 11:11 PM
No tranny guy here but, fwiw I put the truck in "N" for a couple of minutes while hitching it up. seems to warm enough...