PDA

View Full Version : cd skipping..

kcvega
07-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I've got a Clarion xmd2 in my boat and it doesn't play cd-r's very well. They'll play once or twice and then start skipping after that usually. Anyone?

NOTALENT
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I dunno....get a Ipod for the boat...just hooked up one in the truck with a new alpine head unit, damn it sounds great and no more scratched CD'S!!! Definatley a good investment. :rollside:

Keithb87
07-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Try using the "BURN DEEPER" option on your burn program :)

Beer-30
07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
There is just not enough room in a head unit for enough rough-water dampening. A changer, however, has plenty of room for mechanism cushioning. I never run a CD in the deck, only the changer. Deck will skip, changer will not.
There is probably a changer for your head unit that is up-to-date enough to run -Rs and possibly even MP3s. I know sony has a later model 10-disc that will run MP3 discs. I am not up to speed on Clarion, though.

Jyruiz
07-28-2006, 10:58 AM
I've got a Clarion xmd2 in my boat and it doesn't play cd-r's very well. They'll play once or twice and then start skipping after that usually. Anyone?
Try burning them at a slower speed, like 4x's.

kcvega
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
There is just not enough room in a head unit for enough rough-water dampening. A changer, however, has plenty of room for mechanism cushioning. I never run a CD in the deck, only the changer. Deck will skip, changer will not.
There is probably a changer for your head unit that is up-to-date enough to run -Rs and possibly even MP3s. I know sony has a later model 10-disc that will run MP3 discs. I am not up to speed on Clarion, though.
This is happening while sitting still. But, I found the manual and it does say some cd-r's may not play properly.

Tom Brown
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Try burning them at a slower speed, like 4x's.
Excellent advice. :cool:
Also, some burners produce a better burned disc than others.
Problems with CD-Rs is not uncommon. Some of them are of really modest quality, even some name brands. What's worse, brands like Verbatim, Memorex, and many others switch suppliers so you could have a spindle of excellent quality and replace your supply with a spindle of poor quality.
Try burning at the slowest speed possible and experiment with CD-R brands.
My personal favorites are:
1 - Taiyo Yuden
2 - HP
3 - Sony
4 - Fuji
In that order.
You may find that other brands work well for you but those brands tend to be decent. Some people love Ritek and some hate them. I don't have a lot of experience with them so I just stick with TY. They usually test the best and they're available cheap.
If you want to get carried away doing research on this, you can check out:
www.cdfreaks.com
Those guys have checked out more media for pie error statistics than Yogi Bear.

RiverRatMike
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
the lazer is probably out of focus

Trailer Park Casanova
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
We have the same unit, no skipping.
Some CD don't play well though.
Nice sounding unit, we have a 500 watt boost and no distortion what so ever.
We're looking into iPod head units to replace it with, and it'll see duty in something else.
It's a new era.