PDA

View Full Version : Important! Hwy 95 Between Parker And Havasu!

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Major accident on the Bill Williams Bridge, Highway 95 between Parker and Lake Havasu.
Sounds like a head-on between a tanker and passenger vehicle. Tanker and other vehicles fully engulfed. Looks like no survivors. Wildland fire in the brush.
Both north and south lanes blocked. Unknown how long the highway will be blocked.
If you plan on going to Havasu through Parker, make other plans!

BajaMike
07-28-2006, 03:19 PM
That's very scary....and no one is getting in and out of Havasu for a while...
:frown:

Warlockjer
07-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks BC for the heads up. Hate to hear that kind of stuff. I drive that road quite a bit...

Mrs.Racer277
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Very Sad. Thanks for the news.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
More info..
From the ADOT website:
Event id 165710
Location On State Route 95, NS-bound from milepost 161.0, 5.90 miles North of BUCKSKIN STATE PARK
Duration Fri Jul 28 2006 03:38 PM to Fri Jul 28 2006 09:30 PM
Description closed due to crash
I'll update as they come in.................

HocusPocus
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
that sounds like its a messy one... :(

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 04:04 PM
VERY BAD!!!!!........Buckskin FD has a"1" person (one-man fire engine)station next Moonridge/Paradise Cafe' who would have been the first crew there.....with the other "2" people(2-man engine) coming from just souht of La Paz Co. park.........for a total of 3 fireman onscene roughly in the first 20 minutes....then their assistance coming from Havi FD(Professional) and Parker(Volunteer)/Crit FD(Paid).......bad place for a tragedy

RiverDave
07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
That's terrible. I'm very sorry to hear it.
RD

phebus
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I bet it's standing room only at the Springs. I should run a shuttle boat from there to Havi.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
VERY BAD!!!!!........Buckskin FD has a"1" person (one-man fire engine)station next Moonridge/Paradise Cafe' who would have been the first crew there.....with the other "2" people(2-man engine) coming from just souht of La Paz Co. park.........for a total of 3 fireman onscene roughly in the first 20 minutes....then their assistance coming from Havi FD(Professional) and Parker(Volunteer)/Crit FD(Paid).......bad place for a tragedy
Buckskin has 2 engines, 1 Tanker, and about 12 Firefighters on scene.
Parker has 2 engines, a Tanker, 6 firefighters.
LHC Fire-enroute
BLM Fire- enroute
USFW Fire-enroute
AZ State Land Fire-enroute
LPCSO Marine Patrol-On scene on the Bill Williams River keeping looky-loos at bay.
Truck and fuel fire on the bridge is out. Brush fire east and west of the bridge.
Traffic diverted northbound at MP 157. Southbound, probably at 95 & McCulloch on the South side of LHC.

RitcheyRch
07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Very sad news.

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 04:37 PM
BC....
Is the "watershed" vegetation in the B.W. river a-blaze????

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 04:51 PM
BC....
Is the "watershed" vegetation in the B.W. river a-blaze????
Yep!
Fuel in the water. Containment booms and clean-up crew on the way.
Now hearing the driver of the Rig is OK. Enroute to the Hospital. No word on any other casualties

RiverRatMike
07-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Major accident on the Bill Williams Bridge, Highway 95 between Parker and Lake Havasu.
Sounds like a head-on between a tanker and passenger vehicle. Tanker and other vehicles fully engulfed. Looks like no survivors. Wildland fire in the brush.
Both north and south lanes blocked. Unknown how long the highway will be blocked.
If you plan on going to Havasu through Parker, make other plans!
I saw the smoke while coming home from work in Havasu, wondered what was going on.

Ziggy
07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Thats just terrible. :mad: ............I've seen lots of people going south go accross the lane going to fast for that turn....Little to hot going into decreasing radius curve......
Well wishes for all involved

RiverRatMike
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
the fire must be still burning, as of 6pm and still see alot of black smoke coming up in that area from my backyard, and a severe t-storm is on the way for Havasu and that area. Wow!

Kilrtoy
07-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Have been getting calls
TRAFFIC IS A NIGHTMARE...
Call all of your friends
let them know vidal junc north to the 40 is the only way

RiverRatMike
07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Have been getting calls
TRAFFIC IS A NIGHTMARE...
Call all of your friends
let them know vidal junc north to the 40 is the only way
and I did just that

dicudmore
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
just heard this...bad news :(

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Fire in the Refuge is out of control. Calling in air support.
Can see the smoke plume from my house. (In Parker) Looks like a pretty big area. Storm head is aiming right for that area. Hopefully it'll help, if rains up there.
With all that smoke, here comes the acid rain.

Havasu1986
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Just called my wife to let her know, she just went thru Desert Center now. Please keep everyone informed . She is by herself. Thanks

riverbound
07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I saw the big plume of smoke when I was in town (PArker) and then sawe all the fire trucks. was wondering what the deal was.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
This is like a Flash-Back for me.
The exact same thing happened in January '81. I was bringing my 8 1/2 month pregnant wife back from a Dr. appt. in Havasu, when a tanker hit the side of that bridge, overturned and burst into flames. The wife and my (6 year old) daughter were freaking out when I ran up and dragged the driver out of the cab, about 30 seconds before the rig blew up.
If anyones noticed that big blackened spot about 3/4 of the way onto the bridge, southbound, that was it.
Caught the refuge on fire then, too.

ULTRA28
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
almost to parker right now. looks like we'll have to go around. anbody know how long it takes to get to havasu from parker the long way?

Kilrtoy
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
almost to parker right now. looks like we'll have to go around. anbody know how long it takes to get to havasu from parker the long way?
2 hours

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
anbody know how long it takes to get to havasu from parker the long way?
John, don't know for sure as I've never driven it but Google Maps says 66 miles from Earp, CA (across the river from Parker) to Needles via the 62 and CA 95. From Needles it is another 46 miles into Havasu.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't make the mistake a lot of people are going to, by going up the California side of the Parker Strip, thinking they can get by.
They'll just add another hour and 1/2 to their trip.
Stay alert and drive defensively. There's going to be some pissed off drivers going both ways.
And they'll be driving like morons.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Don't make the mistake a lot of people are going to, by going up the California side of the Parker Strip, thinking they can get by.
How else should people go? I was thinking the 62 to the CA 95 in to Needles.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Now hearing it could be closed for days, due to the HAZMAT condition from the spilled fuel.
Also power is out to Hillcrest bay and Havasu Springs, due to fire damage to APS switching stations in the area.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
How else should people go? I was thinking the 62 to the CA 95 in to Needles.
That's correct. 62-Vidal Junction-Needles.
I meant the people going north toward Parker Dam from Earp on Parker Dam Road..

2Driver
07-28-2006, 06:43 PM
THis is just terrible news all around. THere are some big storms coming that way let's hope it rains on the fire.
THat's the intake for the CAP canal. I guess we should expect 89 octane at the tap here in Phoenix?

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 06:48 PM
THis is just terrible news all around. THere are some big storms coming that way let's hope it rains on the fire.
THat's the intake for the CAP canal. I guess we should expect 89 octane at the tap here in Phoenix?
Possible......
CAP is doing tests on the lagoon feeding the intake at the Wilmer Pumping plant. They'll shut it down as soon as they detect any hydrocarbons in the water. USFWS has booms in the water trying to contain any fuel. But with the storm coming in and the wind, the booms aren't going to do squat.
Heck. It might be shut down now with no power to the area up there. I don't know if they have emergency generators for the pumps.

Bre
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I just got off the 40... I should have been in Havasu 2 hours ago. Fun stuff

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Storm not good for Haz-mat clean-up.....extensive containment issues due to wind and rain run-off.......

GHT
07-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Depending on how hot the fire was on the bridge and how long the concrete was exposed the extreme heat, I would imagine they will have to conduct testing on the bridge to ensure structural integrity of the structure. It is possible for the concrete to "pop" and that could possibly mean the bridge would be closed for a very long time. BoatCop... Do you think it was exposed to this degree????

Havasu1986
07-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks BoatCop. Got a hold of my wife as she was coming into Vidal . She said there is a line of cars coming from Parker. She has a better undrestanding why I'm on Hot Boat !!

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
She has a better undrestanding why I'm on Hot Boat !!
They will never understand why we have such an addiction to this website.........

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Depending on how hot the fire was on the bridge and how long the concrete was exposed the extreme heat, I would imagine they will have to conduct testing on the bridge to ensure structural integrity of the structure. It is possible for the concrete to "pop" and that could possibly mean the bridge would be closed for a very long time. BoatCop... Do you think it was exposed to this degree????
The tanker melted to the pavement. I'd say that's pretty hot. That, and the fuel/brush burning under it, could have some serious consequences.
They suspended air-ops until 6:00 AM tomorrow. DPS and ADOT are at the scene. Power out to all of the PArker Dam housing area (Moonridge, Paradise Cafe, etc). APS can't get in to inspect or repair, due to the fire. We're watching Hillcrest Bay carefully, to see if evacuation might be necessary.
I'll keep everyone updated as I get info. The scanner's going wild.

Havasu1986
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=blackcloud75]They will never understand why we have such an addiction to this website.........[/QUOTE
Very true. Tomorrow's a new day. :argue:

shueman
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
The true power of this forum/board is on display..... :cool:
Pretty serious stuff happening and damm near real time feedback.... :220v:

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Power out to all of the PArker Dam housing area (Moonridge, Paradise Cafe, etc). APS can't get in to inspect or repair, due to the fire. We're watching Hillcrest Bay carefully, to see if evacuation might be necessary.
Glad I am not out there this weekend......NO A/C would suck

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Worst case scenario averted.
Hwy 95 open across the bridge both directions, as of 8:30 PM.

shueman
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Worst case scenario averted.
Hwy 95 open across the bridge both directions, as of 8:30 PM.
WOW....great news....!!

Havasu1986
07-28-2006, 07:37 PM
My wife just called and now she is on the 40 heading towards Havi. All is good.

shadow
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
The tanker melted to the pavement. I'd say that's pretty hot. That, and the fuel/brush burning under it, could have some serious consequences.
They suspended air-ops until 6:00 AM tomorrow. DPS and ADOT are at the scene. Power out to all of the PArker Dam housing area (Moonridge, Paradise Cafe, etc). APS can't get in to inspect or repair, due to the fire. We're watching Hillcrest Bay carefully, to see if evacuation might be necessary.
Wow! back open at 8:30. :)
Must have the right people on the scene,Good news. :)

mbrown2
07-28-2006, 07:43 PM
It's burning still....power just came back on....
cold beer still!

mbrown2
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I still see a lot of boats turning around at the end of street....don't look good for the folks trying to go across Bill Williams..

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
It's burning still....power just came back on....
cold beer still!
Mikey,
How long was it out for?????Just wondering how my refridgerator is going to smell when I am out next???

mbrown2
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Mikey,
How long was it out for?????Just wondering how my refridgerator is going to smell when I am out next???
I just got back from Foxes but my neigb's told me it had only been out for about 1.30 hours... You should be good...our house is still cold..

mbrown2
07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Cory,
This is the way the header looked before we pulled in the dock....and this is about 4 hours after the start of it...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_39.JPG

ULTRA28
07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
took us 1 and 1/2 hours from parker to havasu. normally takes 40 minutes. extra 50 minutes wasn't as bad as I expected.

Havasu1986
07-28-2006, 08:39 PM
The wife finally made it. 1 hour delay.

Boatcop
07-28-2006, 08:43 PM
The wife finally made it. 1 hour delay.
Glad she made it, safe and sound.
Now get ready for chapter 2.......
They're talking about closing the bridge again. The fire is moving back toward the road, and smoke is making visibility near zero.
Stand by for news, as it breaks.........................

Throttle
07-28-2006, 09:11 PM
wow, thanks for the update. hope everything gets contained soon... I am back in oc for the weekend working, I should just head back that way with the company, haha.

BADASS38CHEVY
07-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Cory,
This is the way the header looked before we pulled in the dock....and this is about 4 hours after the start of it...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_39.JPG
Where was this picture taken at?

mbrown2
07-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Above glass alley...about a mile south of the dam....
going to the blue now...see ya!

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Thats just terrible. :mad: ............I've seen lots of people going south go accross the lane going to fast for that turn....Little to hot going into decreasing radius curve......
Well wishes for all involved
That turn was always especially scary when I had the 30 ( my old boat) and my 93 Blazer ( old tow rig ) real short wheelbase.

Kilrtoy
07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
took us 1 and 1/2 hours from parker to havasu. normally takes 40 minutes. extra 50 minutes wasn't as bad as I expected.
You musta been on the gas JW

blackcloud75
07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Above glass alley...about a mile south of the dam....
going to the blue now...see ya!
Crown/Coke for me.......

Kilrtoy
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Im shocked that the bridge is open....
DID they even check for structural safety.
I mean a fire like this one , that produces extreme temps, could cause serious damage to the steel and concrete

Wake Havasu
07-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Wonderful to know this after having to go all the way back to 95 up to the 40 and back down the 95!
Why oh why couldn’t the AZ DOT have a chalk board sign telling us this in Parker!
We had to get to the dam before any one told us the road was closed!
Sorry for the victims sucks this happened.
:(

UncleLarry
07-29-2006, 12:00 AM
after they opened it at 8:30 the must have closed it again later.. I got their are 11pm and it was closed again... something about the wind.. then they opened it back up at 11:45pm...
as i drove over the bridge - their was NOTHING.. no black marks.... no burns.. just a bridge.....
oh yes the reeds on the lake side and the shoreline was still burning....
But the bridge looked as good as new...

Hardly Satisfied
07-29-2006, 03:09 AM
very sad news

shueman
07-29-2006, 05:37 AM
No loss of life in the accident, which is amazing.... :cool:

vmjtc3
07-29-2006, 05:42 AM
That's way cool :cool:

TCN
07-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Crown/Coke for me.......
UMMMM. That's my favorite.

GHT
07-29-2006, 06:12 AM
I thought they said everyone in the car died??...?? Tanker driver went to the hospital..

shueman
07-29-2006, 06:32 AM
This is the article I read in the On-Line Herald....
None killed in collision between tanker, car on Bill Williams Bridge
By BRIAN DiTULLIO
Friday, July 28, 2006 10:58 PM MDT
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1761news01.jpg
Despite a large explosion that destroyed a fuel tanker and closed the Bill Williams Bridge Friday afternoon, the Arizona Department of Public Safety is reporting no fatalities in the incident.
The driver of the tanker truck apparently walked away from the single-vehicle crash, said Officer Tim Mason of the Department of Public Safety.
Radio traffic indicated the driver, who DPS reported suffered minor injuries, was picked up by a nearby motorist and driven to Havasu Regional Medical Center. His name and condition are unknown at this time.
The accident, the cause of which still is under investigation, happened on the bridge over the Bill Williams River just before 4 p.m., Mason said. The bridge burned for at least a half hour, with flames spreading to vegetation alongside the riverbank.
“Apparently the bridge looks like somebody dropped a bomb on it,” Mason said. “It's just completely engulfed in fire.”
The crash forced officials to close State Route 95.
Fuel from the tanker, about 7,500 gallons, according to emergency personnel on the scene, spilled over the bridge and into the brush below, catching fire and sending thick columns of black smoke into the afternoon sky.
The fuel tanker was destroyed in the blast and resulting fire with only the rims, smokestack and other twisted bits of metal surviving the inferno.
Fire departments from the entire region continued to fight the brush fires into the evening hours, but a count of agencies was not available Friday night. Lake Havasu City did send a hazardous materials unit.
DPS said they were hoping to re-open the road around 9 p.m.
Locally, southbound traffic on Highway 95 was being turned around near the city's southern limits at SARA Park.

RitcheyRch
07-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Thats good news.

Kilrtoy
07-29-2006, 09:14 AM
the news reporting is so poor in this town... no attention to detail

slink
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Was it a solo vehicle (Tanker) or was another car involved?

Arizona Don
07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
The way the turns approaching the bridge at both ends are.... I'd guess that it was a solo rollover. Southbound, it doesn't have the banking or radius needed for loaded trucks going 55mph. You are also descending a grade. On the northbound side,there is a somewhat abrupt left turn coming off of a couple of small dips in the surface, also not supporting loads goin 55. Anyone with an unstable tow package can attest to this. At the tip point, the load in a tank trailer has crawled up the side and made bringing it back nearly impossible.

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Solo collision. Preliminary reports are that the driver was trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle and struck the concrete barriers on side of the bridge.
From the description, it sounds like the truck was northbound.
Firefighters first on scene thought there were no survivors, due to no one on foot in the area. The driver had already been taken to Havasu Regional Hospital by a bystander.

Kilrtoy
07-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Solo collision. Preliminary reports are that the driver was trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle and struck the concrete barriers on side of the bridge.
Firefighters first on scene thought there were no survivors, due to no one on foot in the area. The driver had already been taken to Havasu Regional Hospital by a bystander.
I mean a fire like this one , that produces extreme temps, could cause serious damage to the steel and concrete
DID they check the bridge

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 12:25 PM
DID they check the bridge
ADOT had engineers on scene last night and verified the integrity of the bridge.

franky
07-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I am glad the driver survived the crash, I sure hope he survived the HRMC!!!!

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 04:33 PM
as i drove over the bridge - their was NOTHING.. no black marks.... no burns.. just a bridge.....
oh yes the reeds on the lake side and the shoreline was still burning....
But the bridge looked as good as new...
Guess again.....
Took these this afternoon.
http://www.boatcop.com/BRIDGE.JPG
North along the bridge....
http://www.boatcop.com/refugefire.jpg
Looking toward the Lake....
http://www.boatcop.com/lakefire.jpg
Woulda got more, but the batteries died. :(

2Driver
07-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Just look at what one dumb bastard caused :mad:

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 06:52 PM
What's even worse, is now that the native brush has burned away, more salt cedars will take root and really screw up the area.

Ziggy
07-30-2006, 11:49 AM
the news reporting is so poor in this town... no attention to detail
Accident betwwen tanker and truck-------single vehicle accident :idea: :rolleyes:

Ziggy
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
What's even worse, is now that the native brush has burned away, more salt cedars will take root and really screw up the area.
Sad looking.:(............good it did not happen in winter when the reeds are so brown.

cc322
07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Drove through there today on the way home burn marks sure looked bad. Glad the driver was ok.

Seadog
07-31-2006, 07:37 AM
The question is whether or not it was the driver's fault. I have seen too many cases where a truck driver rolled to avoid some idiot in a 4-wheeler. There are also truckers out there that should not have been on the road. The skid marks have me wondering, but I am not a crash analysist.

RiverDave
07-31-2006, 08:54 AM
What's a salt cedar, and what's the implications of them taking root? (Just out of curiosity)
The question is whether or not it was the driver's fault. I have seen too many cases where a truck driver rolled to avoid some idiot in a 4-wheeler. There are also truckers out there that should not have been on the road. The skid marks have me wondering, but I am not a crash analysist.
Seadog, you can make heads or tails of these skid marks from this photo? Your alot better then I am. LOL I was sitting there staring at it for a few minutes thinking.. WTF happened?
RD

2Driver
07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
What's a salt cedar, and what's the implications of them taking root? (Just out of curiosity) RD
It's a common but not native tree to the river area originally imported to the US to reduce erosion and act as a wind break. The tree is very common in coves and sort of looks like a green willow of sorts. They grow like mad and send off shoots to reproduce very dense thickets and chokes out everything else. It can stop flows of water, chokes out native plants and can even be so thick animals have a tough time getting through it. Lots of work being done to get rid of it but its an up hill battle.
You used to be able to 4x4 up the Bill Williams years a go. No longer even if the road was there. It's our version of the southeast's Kudzu vine.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347veg70.jpg

liftedtacoma4x
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
These asshole truckers need to slow the **** down. There always causing these ****ing wrecks because there in such a hurry to get where ever they are going. **** truckers they suck dick.

LAFD
07-31-2006, 11:06 AM
These asshole truckers need to slow the **** down. There always causing these ****ing wrecks because there in such a hurry to get where ever they are going. **** truckers they suck dick.
tell us how you really feel. :crossx:

Hardly Satisfied
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
yes , you are right but no one was hurt or killed from this

CHEETAH24
07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
It's true they need to slow down..but what would you have without them.
Look around, everything you see came by truck at one time or another.