PDA

View Full Version : If channel were closed to mooring.....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
If the channel were to be closed how many of you/us would actually go boat somewhere other than Havasu?

BADBLOWN572
01-10-2006, 02:03 PM
If the channel were to be closed how many of you/us would actually go boat somewhere other than Havasu?
Just another excuse to stay down in Parker. :)

HOOTER SLED-
01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
There's other places on Havi to gather. I'd still be there.

moneypit
01-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I dont hang out in the channel anyway... So I will continue to go to Havasu.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Same with myself. Slowinhavasu and I were cruious what the responses would be so I thought I'd throw it up to the HB peeps. Keeping in mind that regardless of the responses I think closing the channel is a stupid idea!

NOTALENT
01-10-2006, 02:08 PM
No way...Still many other attractions at havasu...Howeer I dont like it as much there anymore anyways(the Channel)....to many shoebies and ghetto peeps who just go there for the show and leave there trash behind....

OnlyMoney
01-10-2006, 02:09 PM
We do boat at other places, the channel issue wouldn't change whether we go there or not. We'd just find somewhere else to meet up with everyone before heading up to the Sandbar.

Captain Dan
01-10-2006, 02:12 PM
There is life beyond the channel. :rollside:
My only fear is what others have said on these boards - the riff raff from the channel would then congregate in the the other areas that we enjoy.

riverbound
01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
I dont boat in Havasu, but if I did...the channel being closed wouldtn stop me. I thinks I would prefer the sandbar anyway

OutCole'd
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I would be bummed, because I like to visit the Channel on the off days & let the dogs play in the dog park, but it would not affect me boating there.

little rowe boat
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
We spend most of our time at the south end of the lake. We don't venture to the channel all that often.

h2oski2fast
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Shhhhhhh, Parker is closed...... No more boating there.

carreraboat
01-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I am with the captain

Hardly Satisfied
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
there is alot of places to go and hang out in havasu

SCUBA STEVE
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
My boat can only make it from the launch ramp to the channel. I guess I would be focked if they closed it. lol

essexjet
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I would be bummed, because I like to visit the Channel on the off days & let the dogs play in the dog park, but it would not affect me boating there.
Same here, mostly go to Steamboat and sandbar on off weekends. Only go to the channel to get pizza

SCUBA STEVE
Yup! :cool:
Parker sux! lol :cry: :cool:

Sleek-Jet
My boat can only make it from the launch ramp to the channel. I guess I would be focked if they closed it. lol
You own a boat???? :D :D

Rod-64
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
80% of the time I go to Cattail Cove to meet the guys at BML or because the ramp is not crowded.
However my favorite place to eat at is Papa Leoni's and if the channel closed I bet those courtesy docks there would be a pain in the ass to get a slip. :mad: :yuk:

H20 Toie
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't spend the day in the channel but it is fun to cruise into and stop once in a while, i've met a lot of nice peeps there. I'll still go but if they close that then close the sandbar whats next. Mojave and then i go to the Delta. I never launched at the Havasu Marina this year and don't plan on it this year there are still plenty of places that like my money.

77charger
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Havasu aint the only lake around so i wont miss it much.I guess for some they will actually have to drive thier boats around vs sittin all day in the channel :argue:

Havasu Hangin'
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm going to Parker!

Tom Brown
01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
If they close the channel, I will start boating at Katepwa regularly. :mad:

Ziggy
01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
There is life beyond the channel. :rollside:
My only fear is what others have said on these boards - the riff raff from the channel would then congregate in the the other areas that we enjoy.
I don't think the riff raff that is more the root of the problem could swim that far.....those wallet chains will drown 'em fast.
The city would learn quickly who is leaving the trash behind...and probably come up with some other ordinance to fix that too. :rolleyes:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
The thing that blows me away is that they say the channel should be there for the community to use. Well, closing it to mooring removes the usage of it for the local boaters as well.

That Guy
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
The sad thing is that many of us own homes there and have established some set of "roots".... I don't want to have to decide...I just want the mayor to wake up and take a basic economics class and do what is right for the city and not his own personal agenda.

Captain Dan
01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't think the riff raff that is more the root of the problem could swim that far.....those wallet chains will drown 'em fast.
The city would learn quickly who is leaving the trash behind...and probably come up with some other ordinance to fix that too. :rolleyes:
That's a good point. I was actually referring to the riff raff in boats that would inundate other areas.
No mooring would certainly leave those wallet chained persons out in the open for easy viewing by LE.

djunkie
01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Exactly. Hell I rarely even go anywhere near the channel on busy weekends.

djunkie
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
We spend most of our time at the south end of the lake. We don't venture to the channel all that often.
SHHHHH!!!!!! There is NO south end of the lake. :D

jbtrailerjim
01-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I'll still go but I will be bummed if they close it. The wife and I enjoy hanging out in there.

cola
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe it should be like it is surfing. LOCALS ONLY :cool:

djunkie
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe it should be like it is surfing. LOCALS ONLY :cool:
Depends on your defintion of locals

Ziggy
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
YEah, Cattail sucks ass too ;)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Since Tom's not here, I'll do the honors:
F-Havasu!

djunkie
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
YEah, Cattail sucks ass too ;)
Ya that place is the worst. Rather go to Windsor. :)

Tremor Therapy
01-10-2006, 03:41 PM
My family and I never spend much time in the channel. The only time we would be found there is during the week, really slow off weekends, and to get a pizza or ice cream.
The whole "channel crowd" has gotten worse the past couple of years, so we just head up river. Tends to be a much more mellow vibe that direction anyway.

WaTchTheGelCoat
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep. :rollside:

Throttle
01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I think we should all park our boats in front of all the council members houses and create havoc!

That Guy
01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
My family and I never spend much time in the channel. The only time we would be found there is during the week, really slow off weekends, and to get a pizza or ice cream.
The whole "channel crowd" has gotten worse the past couple of years, so we just head up river. Tends to be a much more mellow vibe that direction anyway.
With that avitar....I am inclined to agree with everything you say :crossx:

bohica
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
My dog won't shiat on the rocks in the yard at the house. First stop of the day is always to the dog park in the channel. If they close the channel to mooring, hopefully the mayor has a yard with grass and I could let the dog shiat on his lawn. :idea:

Biglue
01-10-2006, 04:59 PM
The channel can be a cool hang out but not a necessity. There is plenty of waterway to hang out on.

mbrown2
01-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Interesting poll.....50% so far would keep going....
I think Poll, if viewed by the city, gives a little bit more steam to their initiative to shut it down.
I don't think it should shut down and I think those that boat on the lake regularly should defend keeping it open, but the way this poll goes and reflects does not really promote the opposition to closing it down.
Maybe the poll should be changed to reflect the feelings of those that would still like to moor vesus not mooring...ie: vote on options to control the chaos, or regulate it better....my .02

slowinhavasu
01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses, Im getting ready to go to to the council meeting right now to show my support for not closing the channel. I think public education is the key...more on that later....I'll try and give a update on my return....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Interesting poll.....50% so far would keep going....
I think Poll, if viewed by the city, gives a little bit more steam to their initiative to shut it down.
I don't think it should shut down and I think those that boat on the lake regularly should defend keeping it open, but the way this poll goes and reflects does not really promote the opposition to closing it down.
Maybe the poll should be changed to reflect the feelings of those that would still like to moor vesus not mooring...ie: vote on options to control the chaos, or regulate it better....my .02
Excellent points. There is no doubt in my mind that the businesses local to the channel would suffer, but the town as a whole probably would not.
Pretty much everyone here is against closing it down so what are the suggestions to controlling the chaos that the cty wants to avoid?

Nord
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I hardly hang out at he Channel when i go to the Zoo anymore anyways, no loss here!!

Essex502
01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
We don't often go into the channel so closing it doesn't affect us too much. But...it is a very stoopid <sp> idea to close it. Those of us that own property there and pay taxes there and shop there and build houses there deserve to maximize our investments there and closing it WILL affect business.

GHT
01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I would continue to boat Havasu but just not as much... I would definately visit other areas more often... Alot more time at Moabi too..

HavasuHome
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I do not think closing the chanel is the answer. When we do go to the chanel it is only for a short period of time. I prefer to go to Steamboat or someplace else on the lake or upriver.

Mandelon
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I enjoy spending time there. Watching the nice boats and interesting passengers.... :crossx:
On windy days, those of us with smaller boats can't go many other places.... :yuk: Like last Memorial I think....it was packed cuz it was so windy. Maybe they should legislate against windy days. :rolleyes:

Throttle
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I enjoy spending time there. Watching the nice boats and interesting passengers.... :crossx:
On windy days, those of us with smaller boats can't go many other places.... :yuk: Like last Memorial I think....it was packed cuz it was so windy. Maybe they should legislate against windy days. :rolleyes:
the is the best so far, i hate the wind! sometimes! mostly! well I could do without the windy days!

Debbolas
01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
If they close the channel, I will start boating at Katepwa regularly. :mad:
Lets all go to the Tom Brown Launch Ramp
:D
We boat at F'n Mohave, but seriously, stewing in piss warm water and drinking beer was never my idea of fun. I would rather be going really fast in my boat......
We have friends that are Channel Junkies and will probably have a heart attack about this......
Didn't they close Copper Canyon because of all the parties? The Sandbar could be next :crossx:

shadow
01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Lets all go to the Tom Brown Launch Ramp
We boat at F'n Mohave, but seriously, stewing in piss warm water and drinking beer was never my idea of fun. I would rather be going really fast in my boat......
We have friends that are Channel Junkies and will probably have a heart attack about this......
Didn't they close Copper Canyon because of all the parties? The Sandbar could be next :crossx:
Hey Deb whats really fast? :rollside:

slowinhavasu
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Just got back, the mooring issue was not on the agenda for tonight. It's not really clear when it is, I'll get it clarified and I'll be back then.
Uncle Larry was able to make a five minute address to the council. Great job Larry, it will give them something to go home and think about.
He invited everyone down to a regatta to see the "real" people that visit this lake, and have the police enforce the laws that are on the books , if it's zero tolerence then arrest everybody breaking the laws, not just the ones they want to. His speach was much longer, but thats what i got out of it....

Debbolas
01-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Deb whats really fast? :rollside:
LOL
Well, FAST for me in my Custom Buildt Kachina:D:D:D
Sandbar Mike was over last month doing the electricity for our new kitchen and he just put a new engine in his bat, it goes REALLY fast;)

shadow
01-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Carey,you looked like a movie star.I saw you on TV.
Larry did a great job,hopefully the council members will listen.

shadow
01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
LOL
Well, FAST for me in my Custom Buildt Kachina:D:D:D
Sandbar Mike was over last month doing the electricity for our new kitchen and he just put a new engine in his bat, it goes REALLY fast;)
Just messin with ya. :)

Debbolas
01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Just messin with ya. :)
I know, ya made me laugh :D
( I was fishing for Jordy fish)
;)

slowinhavasu
01-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey Carey,you looked like a movie star.I saw you on TV.
Larry did a great job,hopefully the council members will listen.
Note to self: stay away from camera WIFE knows what time I left the meeting, want's to know why I smell like smoke and beer..... :argue:
When this subject is on the agenda we need to ready with a salution to the problem, not just bitch about it. Locals should not be penalized by some dumb asses that wreck for us and the tuorist.

H20Advantage
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
If the channel were closed I would still go to Havasu because I own a home there and that is where the boat is kept. We like to make one or two passes through the channel during the day but generally spend our time in Steamboat or some other more remote cove away from the crowds.
My issue with them closing the channel is that it may effect the quality of my time in other parts of the lake. As said before the closing of the sandbar and stricter controls of copper canyon has caused the crowds to migrate to the channel. The City has brought this on themselves and need to figure a way to let the crowds who want to party do it in a more remote location and leave the channel alone.
I used to live at the beach in the late 70's through the early 90's and remember when winter traffic was nil and the summer traffic was busy. As people migrated toward the beach and the population grew the winter traffic started to look like summer and the summer became just a mess. The beaches became overcrowded and I decided to move away.
I guess what I am trying to say is the population is growing everywhere and the Lake Havasu City Counsel has got to accept this and learn to deal with it or get out. Havasu will never be the way it was in the 1970's because this whole area of the country is having a population explosion.
The city faces a double edged sword. They want new homes built, more business growth and tourism along with the bigger tax base but then they also don't want things to change. The problem here is that the older retired generation does not have the disposable income that the younger working generation has and culturally the two tend to clash.
I don't know what the answer is nor should I force my personal wants and desires on them to fit my lifestyle and neither should they. Good intelligent research and decision making needs to be done and not decisions based on personal agendas of a few who were voted by the general public to protect the general interest.
Okay I am now stepping down from my soapbox.

ClownRoyal
01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
I will sell both houses. I bought in Havasu for boating. The Channel is a big part of that simply because of the 'show'.

phebus
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't believe they would close the channel. That's the best drinking water on the lake!!!

Ultrafied
01-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Definitely keep comming!
I never go into the Channel on big holidays, may slide through on weekends and stop if I'm meeting someone. If I do stay in then Channel, it is usually during the week more then anything. If they close the Channel, I probably wouldn't even notice or care.
I like going to spots that many don't even know about and other spots that many do know about. I will say that when I do stop in the Channel, I enjoy watching the boats, seeing what's new and the different styles.
What I get a kick out of is watching from Thompson Bay, the boats that launch out of the marina, go directly to the Channel, beach and just stay most of the day. Cracks my a$$ up!! :D :D

RiverRatMike
01-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I live here and don't really care if they close it since last time I was there I about died of fumes. It's a great place to hang out but something has to be done about the air quaility in the channel. It can get really bad sometmes! I boat in Parker anyway. :rollside:

little rowe boat
01-11-2006, 07:27 AM
You are right,just kidding,forget what I said. :D

2Driver
01-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Were down to 1 or 2 trips a year anyway as we are finding the lake over here more fun, safe and frieindly. I'd still make the 2 trips a year if they closed it.
Rather see them clean up the lake and town. Then I'd go back to every other weekend and a home there.