PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the pin last week: Damn, It was a lot of get ups,,

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2006, 06:56 AM
My retirement plan offered me early retirement at full retirement pay, no penalty.
They knocked 10 years off that,, and in addition, I was allowed to add my 4 years in the Marine corps which, in turn, sliced 4 more years off the retirement date and for a $4K fee I paid into the fund, it will add $400 more a month to my 92% retirement check + the 3% annual COLA.
I feel like I'm getting those 4 Marine Corp years back, and retiring at a relative young age.
So, I've filed to retire, and in 20 weeks, I will be pulling a six figure check and sleeping in late. In the meantime, I'll be taking off a lot of accumulated time.
When I die, the new wife has the continuance, and will pull 100% of the check with annual COLA of 3%, for the rest of her life. She and all her kids are on my $3 co pay medical/pharmacy for life too.
Though she's financially set for life anyway, no one would turn down a deal like this, and it makes me feel good the fruits of my labor will keep producing long after I'm gone.
It's a BFD to me.
My first job was at 12, making wine displays for Bali Hai wine. Remember them; "You Like?" was their catch phaze.
Then onto the Marines, then a good career I couldn't have topped with a Masters Degree.
So, now I can turn full time to a charity I've been involved with for years that helps mothers in need that live in rural areas get medical attention for their severly disabled kids.
Contrary to belief, Medi-Cal and the Fed Govt provide very little assistance in these brutal situations.
Plus longer stays at the river,, and at the dunes, and in the backyard watching the cat and the Hawks catch gophers on the hillside.
And, develop a few crazy ideas that are in my pea size brain.
When I first started my career, my late wife and I loved to go dancing.
Avalon, Laughlin (then called South Point).
We would occasionally bump into old man Don Laughlin at some dance events, who with his girlfriend, love to swing dance too. His philospy was: "Ya make your own luck in life".
He's right.
Damn,, it's been a lot of get ups.

whoya
07-29-2006, 08:16 AM
I wish you the best on your retirement. Sounds like all your hard work is going to pay off. Hats off to ya!! :cool:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Congrats!! I am jealous!! Make it fun and don't ever get bored!!

Jordy
07-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, congrats Ross. Sounds like it's been an outstanding year for you. ;)

HavasuSelect
07-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Congrats! It sounds like all your hard work payed off. I'm just curious as to what you did/do in your career?