PDA

View Full Version : Possible to do Parker without watching for any shallow spots?

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
If so, where would you launch, and where can you go safely....

Daytona100
07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Never had a problem with parker. Common sense and upriver when you make the lefthander stay away from the bouyes. Stay in the middle and you wont have any problems.

revndave
07-29-2006, 05:34 PM
If so, where would you launch, and where can you go safely....
Parker is a piece of cake.Launch anywhere.There are 35ft boats out on that water.Shallow spots have bouys.

Boatcop
07-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Parker is a piece of cake.Launch anywhere.There are 35ft boats out on that water.Shallow spots have bouys.
Not really.
There are at least 5 spots I know of that are shallow and not marked. 1 of them, below Red Rock, extends out 1/2 way into the River.
On your first trip, make sure you have someone that knows where the rock monsters live, or else you'll have a short trip and an expensive repair bill.
Just ask Kilrtoy.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
- And watch the tide.
River level can change on ya.

2Driver
07-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Not really.
There are at least 5 spots I know of that are shallow and not marked. 1 of them, below Red Rock, extends out 1/2 way into the River.
On your first trip, make sure you have someone that knows where the rock monsters live, or else you'll have a short trip and an expensive repair bill.
Just ask Kilrtoy.
Ditto, been going since 1985. Plenty to learn first few times.

Daytona100
07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Not really.
Just ask Kilrtoy.
Kilrtoy cant navagate parker. Maybe he,s concentrating on something else!! Miss Kilrtoy may be distracting him if you know what I mean. :rollside:

repo man
07-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Not really.
Just ask Kilrtoy.
well if you know about them then why arn't they marked? :idea:

H20 Toie
07-29-2006, 10:42 PM
i have gone to parker for years ( with my jet boat) i think i know where the shallow spots are but i still won't take the the 35' there.

CBadDad
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Be really careful early in the morning and late afternoon/evening as the water level drops it gets a little tricky, especially up river.
Otherwise it's not too bad. :cool:

djunkie
07-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Not really.
Just ask Kilrtoy.
Great advice. I had help learning the spots and I still caught that one just south of the damm. 10 feet to the left and I would have missed it. :cry:

RitcheyRch
07-30-2006, 06:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing

Boatcop
07-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Because:
1) There is no Authority for a County to place Navigation Aids.
2) The water level fluctuates, so that what may be a hazard this morning, might not be one this afternoon. Water flow charts by the Bureau of reclamation state:
ALL RIVER USERS should remember that fluctuating river flows may conceal or create natural hazards such as moving sandbars, gravel bars, unstable riverbanks, floating or submerged debris, or other unfamiliar obstacles. Caution should be exercised while using the river between Davis Dam and the Mexican Border at San Luis, Arizona.
3) Once a Navigation Aid is placed, the Agency placing it is responsible for maintaining it. If the markers are damaged or off station and property damage or injury results from someone hitting the hazard, that Agency could be liable. Or at least would have to defend itself in a suit. This would mean the Agency would have to have a buoy maintenance team, boat, and equipment on call 24/7 at a prohibitive cost to small counties.
If one hazard is marked, the precedent is set, and then ALL hazards should be marked. If not, the Agency could be sued over damage caused by other unmarked hazards.
Simply put.
It's not my job.
The hazard markers around Rock Island are historical in placement and the Arizona Game and Fish Dept assumed responsibility for them. The one hazard buoy by the rock near Polynesian Shores was placed by Game and Fish at my request some 16 years ago. That had been marked for 30 years by a red halibut ball that someone put there. The AZGFD buoy team put the hazard marker there as a more permanent marker. There was some flack given by the higher ups over them putting it there without authorization, but the buoy was there, and they're responsible for maintaining it for eternity.

termiteguy
07-30-2006, 07:04 AM
you also asked where to launch if your on the cali side the rock house is agood ramp lots of parking and no waiting at all. its located the rio mobile home park lizards on the river conv. store good luck on your first trip to parker if you go all the way up river past the bouys just stay in middle and watch the water it will tell you and watch the other boaters if they know the river . good luck have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wake Havasu
07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Parker is very shallow.
Best to use the PWCs for Parker and save the boats for Havi.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 04:32 AM
I had always heard Parker was the deepest part of the river.
Parker is very shallow.
Best to use the PWCs for Parker and save the boats for Havi.

Jyruiz
07-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Nope, you still have to watch out for shallow spots. I am lucky, every time we go, it's because my wifes cousins are there, they know that place real well, so I just fallow them.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Oh ok, thanks. Someone I know that lives in the Keyes always told me was the deepest part of the river.
Nope, you still have to watch out for shallow spots. I am lucky, every time we go, it's because my wifes cousins are there, they know that place real well, so I just fallow them.

HM
07-31-2006, 07:09 AM
The nice thing about Parker is that once you learn the shallow spots, you are good to go as they don't typically change...I think the sand/rock bar by Fox's around the corner has a little variance.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Good to know althought dont really see myself going there anytime soon.
The nice thing about Parker is that once you learn the shallow spots, you are good to go as they don't typically change...I think the sand/rock bar by Fox's around the corner has a little variance.

RiverDave
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh ok, thanks. Someone I know that lives in the Keyes always told me was the deepest part of the river.
Even though I don't think I'm the one that told you that. I'd be inclined to agree with it? What other place would be considered deeper? Martinez? Needles?
I'll tell you everytime I drive to the sandbar in Havasu the hairs on the back of my neck stand up becuase it's so shallow up there.. Parker is waaayyyy deeper in general then that run to the sandbar is..
There's a few spots here and there, but overall it's not terrible.
BoatCop, I have a navigational question for you. One one of my last trips out there in my Nordic before it sold I was heading up river towards foxes. I'm pretty well familiar with that rock bar as I've made it's acquaintance twice over the years. So as I was heading North I did my usual cross over to the california side of the river but still maintaining as far to the right as I deemed "do-able" all things considered. A cop was going the other direction, and while he didn't pull me over he gave me the evil eye and way pointing towards AZ etc...
Can you get a ticket for wrong direction even though your maintaining in a channel so to speak? As well during the day do you follow the channel (under the white bouie on the power line?) or do you think that the water is up enough that you'll clear in most I/O's, V-Drives etc.. I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take that gamble after seeing what it was like when they drained the river.. Lastly, why don't they just go out there with a BullDozer and push all those rocks etc... to the shoreline the next time they drain the river?
RD

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
You arent the one that told me that. My sisters boyfriends family has a house in the keyes at Parker and he told me it was the deepest.
Even though I don't think I'm the one that told you that. I'd be inclined to agree with it? What other place would be considered deeper? Martinez? Needles?
I'll tell you everytime I drive to the sandbar in Havasu the hairs on the back of my neck stand up becuase it's so shallow up there.. Parker is waaayyyy deeper in general then that run to the sandbar is..
There's a few spots here and there, but overall it's not terrible.
BoatCop, I have a navigational question for you. One one of my last trips out there in my Nordic before it sold I was heading up river towards foxes. I'm pretty well familiar with that rock bar as I've made it's acquaintance twice over the years. So as I was heading North I did my usual cross over to the california side of the river but still maintaining as far to the right as I deemed "do-able" all things considered. A cop was going the other direction, and while he didn't pull me over he gave me the evil eye and way pointing towards AZ etc...
Can you get a ticket for wrong direction even though your maintaining in a channel so to speak? As well during the day do you follow the channel (under the white bouie on the power line?) or do you think that the water is up enough that you'll clear in most I/O's, V-Drives etc.. I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take that gamble after seeing what it was like when they drained the river.. Lastly, why don't they just go out there with a BullDozer and push all those rocks etc... to the shoreline the next time they drain the river?
RD

Jordy
07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Lastly, why don't they just go out there with a BullDozer and push all those rocks etc... to the shoreline the next time they drain the river?
RD
I'm sure being a federal waterway, it would require a 15 year environmental impact study by a bunch of tree hugging frog licking squirrel suckers to determine any possible harm to some little dry rock dwelling amphibious mudfish. ;)
You arent the one that told me that. My sisters boyfriends family has a house in the keyes at Parker and he told me it was the deepest.
Sometimes RD likes to think he's the only one who lives in the Keyes. :D :D :D

RiverDave
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm sure being a federal waterway, it would require a 15 year environmental impact study by a bunch of tree hugging frog licking squirrel suckers to determine any possible harm to some little dry rock dwelling amphibious mudfish. ;)
Sometimes RD likes to think he's the only one who lives in the Keyes. :D :D :D
I said that becuase I figured people would assume I was the one that told him that.. and on some twisted level turn it into some "arrogance" thing like I believe that Parker is the best place just becuase I boat there..
Yet somehow my intentions again were reversed into some other arrogance thing.. Who knows my new boss keeps telling me "perception is reality" maybe I am an arrogant bastard.. LOL
RD

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Wasn't trying to start anything with my post. Only was looking for some clarification. :)
I said that becuase I figured people would assume I was the one that told him that.. and on some twisted level turn it into some "arrogance" thing like I believe that Parker is the best place just becuase I boat there..
Yet somehow my intentions again were reversed into some other arrogance thing.. Who knows my new boss keeps telling me "perception is reality" maybe I am an arrogant bastard.. LOL
RD

RiverDave
07-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Wasn't trying to start anything with my post. Only was looking for some clarification. :)
Not starting anythign, just joking around with Jordy.
RD

Jordy
07-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Well don't you??? :D :D :D
RD
Perhaps that's why we get along so well. :D :D :D

RiverDave
07-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Well don't you??? :D :D :D
Well I do, but that's beside the point.
Perhaps that's why we get along so well. :D :D :D
We get along? Since when... :cool:
RD

Jordy
07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Well I do, but that's beside the point.
No, that was the point. :D
We get along? Since when... :cool:
RD
Assholio. :D

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
No problem. Hard to tell sometimes.
Not starting anythign, just joking around with Jordy.
RD

Boatcop
07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
RD
Boats in a narrow channel are required to stay as close to the side of the channel that lays on her starboard side.
Boats are required to travel in a clockwise rotation, which, on the River, means upriver closer to the Arizona shore, downriver closer to the California shore.
If the main river channel is obstructed by a hazard, like the rock bar below Red Rock, the "channel" redirects around the obstruction. However, once clear of the obstruction, the vessel must proceed back toward the proper side.
As far as bulldozing the various rock bars and obstructions, they have been forming over hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years. They are at the end of washes that have been dumoing in the River for all that time. Directly below the surface clutter of rocks in those areas is solid bedrock.
You have to remember that Recreation is the lowest priority of uses for the Colorado River. The only thing that they would dredge or otherwise alter the flow of the River for, is if it was actually restricting the River flow.