PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Edison bill

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
$685 for one month!!! I'm drinking a Bacardi with a drop of Coke added just for color. I have a 2700 sq ft home, pool/ spa, and a extra fridge for beer and steaks in the garage. $685??? WTF??? Sorry just had to vent.
Serious talk here....how much is electricity in other states? I'm ready to get out of Dodge!!! Interested in knowing about Arizona, Texas, Nevada, and New Mexico for starters. I like the sun so I'm not looking to shovel snow. I also dont want to be too far from the River. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Trailer Park Casanova
08-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Ya need to consider installing solar elect.
It also reverses the elect meter and if sized right, your bill should be $0.

DeeCandyBar
08-03-2006, 09:25 PM
$685 for one month!!! I'm drinking a Bacardi with a drop of Coke added just for color. I have a 2700 sq ft home, pool/ spa, and a extra fridge for beer and steaks in the garage. $685??? WTF??? Sorry just had to vent.
Serious talk here....how much is electricity in other states? I'm ready to get out of Dodge!!! Interested in knowing about Arizona, Texas, Nevada, and New Mexico for starters. I like the sun so I'm not looking to shovel snow. I also dont want to be too far from the River. :cry: :cry: :cry:
you're not even telling us half the story. do you run your a/c 24x7? is the thermostat set at 68? 70? 72? how old are your appliances? do you heat your pool? how often do you heat/run the spa?
it's spendy but it sounds like you've got a nice spread

shueman
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Ours was $150 higher than any other month EVER......4x over our "baseline"....FAWKERS.... :hammerhea
Maybe a little more A/C due to the heatwave last month....but DOUBLE the previous month...??

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I just opened mine and about fell down. I thought it was bad: $375. Last July it was only $255. We have about 2,600 sqft 2-story dual-zone, pool, spa, garage frigde, and bar fridge. Keep the set-back t-stats at 79* when we are here. Wife does not work though so its always running. The only thing different this year besides the weather is the freebie fridge I got from Roln20's. Now I know why he didn't want it any more :) I'm wondering how much that circa 1980 20 CF bastard is costing me :220v: I'm wondering if a new Costco fridge in the garage would save me much :idea:

MBlaster
08-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Mine was 106 bucks and we ran the a/c part time.
Granted its a bit cooler 3 miles from Big Blue.

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
you're not even telling us half the story. do you run your a/c 24x7? is the thermostat set at 68? 70? 72? how old are your appliances? do you heat your pool? how often do you heat/run the spa?
it's spendy but it sounds like you've got a nice spread
My house is 2 years old. I run my pool 6 hours a day. I have upgraded insulation in the walls and attic. My thermostat stays between 79 and 80 degrees. At 79 it is almost cold inside. I have plantation shutters that stay closed and timted windows. My garage fridge is 5 years old top of the line kitchen aid. My house fridge is 2 years old, top of the line GE. The sun heats my pool.

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I just got done in the garage, emptied out the freezer and fridge. Then I unpluged the fawker. I turned the pool down to 4 hours and turned the clorinator up to 100%. Anybody want to but a nice Kitchen Aid?

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Ya need to consider installing solar elect.
It also reverses the elect meter and if sized right, your bill should be $0.
You got a damn good point there TPC. Its an exspensive start up cost from what I have heard.

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 09:49 PM
California gets you at the gas pump, the DMV, property taxes, Edison bill, and I know I'm forgeting something....BRB....gotta go refill my Bacardi. :cool:

WetWillie
08-03-2006, 09:52 PM
My Bill was close to $800. Yes we run the pool 10 hours a day. Kids are running the waterfall Im sure and the ac is on like crazy even at night set at 77
I to am going to cut my pool filter to 5 hours and now that its cooler well open the dang windows..
What does $20k get you for solar electric???

Jordy
08-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I've got the APS equalizer plan. I keep my house (right around 1900sq. ft.) about 78 during the day, 75 at night, have gas heat, stove, and hot water which makes a huge difference (gas bill $18 a month in summer, $70 in the "cold" winter months, both of them), and a spa. I'm $120 per month, year round. Used to ramp up around $300 a month in the summer time and was $45 in the winter, now it all averages out and hasn't changed in 4 years.

C-2
08-03-2006, 09:54 PM
One day a utility worker (Riverside) showed up at my house and was insistent upon inspecting my power meter. I said go ahead, watch out for the dogs. She got all pissy so I helped her.
She looked at it and said "hum, strange, it hasn't been tampred with".
I'm like WTF, tampered with?
She explained there was a noticeable drop in my usage - so much so that it flagged their computer. They came out expecting to find I had tampred with thge meter and thus the drop in usage. But nope ~ the meter reader had been reading it wrong for the past three months. I got about a $500 credit.
---
So maybe check with Edison - maybe their usage records will substantiate they read the meter wrong. :boxed:

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 10:00 PM
So maybe check with Edison - maybe their usage records will substantiate they read the meter wrong. :boxed:
I called those bastards....they were all but helpful. They are sending someone out to check my meter. I had to beg and plead to get it done.

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Check with Edison and see if they have lower rates at night. Our rate is something like 80% lower from 9PM to 9AM. I have the pool running 6 hours a night. I run 2 pumps because we have an auto cleaner. We also have timers on the dishwasher and laundry. They run at night too. I'm sure we would be way over $600 if not. All my shit is 2 years old and heavy insulated too.

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Check with Edison and see if they have lower rates at night. Our rate is something like 80% lower from 9PM to 9AM. I have the pool running 6 hours a night. I run 2 pumps because we have an auto cleaner. We also have timers on the dishwasher and laundry. They run at night too. I'm sure we would be way over $600 if not. All my shit is 2 years old and heavy insulated too.
Damn good idea....going to change the pool timer in the morning........thanx

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Outnumbered how much is your bill in AZ?

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Outnumbered how much is your bill in AZ?
It was $375 this month. Highest ever. $255 last July. Last year never went over $300. This year May was $300, June was $320, and July $375. I'm pretty sure that garage fidge is killing us. Its always a buck-ten in the garage. Fawker is running non-stop. :220v:

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
who's your power company and do they cover all of AZ? I am sold packin my shit as we type.

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
:)
APS
Welcome to AZ :D

SHOTKALLIN
08-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I think i will rent my house out....now is not the time to sell.

bignet
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Ours was $150 higher than any other month EVER......4x over our "baseline"....FAWKERS.... :hammerhea
Maybe a little more A/C due to the heatwave last month....but DOUBLE the previous month...??
I live in the same area shuey and my bill was $280! :220v: Damn, I gotta start sleeping outside!!
:crossx:
bignet

THATJEFFGUY
08-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I got my SCE bill for last month, which was BEFORE the heatwave a couple weeks ago, and it was $659. I'm probably gonna schit when I get the one coming up. I can't complain too much though, I keep the A/C at 72 for the entire house (2800 SF). Oh well, just another reason to get the hell outta CA !

jjfosterj
08-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Have you ever hit your baseline ours is low low low and over the baseline the rates climb$$$$$$$

ElimJimsOtherHalf
08-04-2006, 02:17 AM
My house is 2 years old. I run my pool 6 hours a day. I have upgraded insulation in the walls and attic. My thermostat stays between 79 and 80 degrees. At 79 it is almost cold inside. I have plantation shutters that stay closed and timted windows. My garage fridge is 5 years old top of the line kitchen aid. My house fridge is 2 years old, top of the line GE. The sun heats my pool.
We had our pool pump going 6 hours a day, in the heat, to keep water moving so algae would stop coming back...cut it back to 3 hours spread throughout the day, and hired a pool guy with the saved money (both problems solved). Just having a pool pump puts us out of the Baseline every month.
Also if you have timed outside lights (not 12V), at 60 watt each, those add up, we cut that time down just to 2 hours when people might come over or home.
We live in Riverside, CA, only run A/C on weekends and a tiny bit to cool when first home (1 hr/day)...our bill was $455, (100 more than last year). House has dual pane windows and well-insulated, new 1997, but do run extra freezer in garage.

NOCTURNAL
08-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Shotkallin -
If you want to save on electricity, don't move to Texas. Many homes are electric only. The humidity in Houston or Dallas almost requires 24/7 A/C (especially Houston).
Last August when I moved here from CA, my electric bills in a 1.5 BDRM apartment were $175/month. I couldn't imagine trying to cool some of the monster houses (4000SF+) out here in the Metroplex or back in Houston.

centerhill condor
08-04-2006, 04:04 AM
try tinting the windows at the house.. I did it years ago and cut both the summer and winter bills by over 35%/30% and the best part is people can't tell I'm staring at them or when I'm home or not...the carpet and furniture don't fade and the temp is more uniform all year 'round... cost me about $150 and I did the labor... get a water heater timer... you'll be amazed at how much that will save you! amazed especially way out west!

repo man
08-04-2006, 04:14 AM
$1198 this month and $800 last month. can anyone beat that :cry:

insanity
08-04-2006, 04:15 AM
We are up here in Rescue, CA (Placerville area) on acreage with 2300 sq ft house and 4000 sq ft shop, they are on separate meters. We run pool about 2 hrs a day, only run the a/c when it gets over 100, propane heat during winter, well pump, whole house fan (gets used alot). Our average PG & E bill is about $110-130 for the house and about $20-30 for the shop (depending how much I run the TIG welder). Spring and early summer irrigate about 4 acres. It was about $180 in June, I had a cow about that one. Haven't gotten the bill yet covering the brutal couple of weeks we had in Mid July.
There are a bunch new houses (big boxes and all electric) in El Dorado Hills on the hill exposed to the sun. Have heard some of their PG & E bills are regularly $1000 to $1500. Mostly bay area transplants that aren't used to the 30 degree winters and 100 degree summers.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 04:28 AM
Had the same thing happen at our house. Our bill was about $100. We have the a/c set at 83 during the day while we are at work. We turn the a/c off and turn the bedroom fan on at night. Was told not to sleep with the a/c on due to my asthma.
One day a utility worker (Riverside) showed up at my house and was insistent upon inspecting my power meter. I said go ahead, watch out for the dogs. She got all pissy so I helped her.
She looked at it and said "hum, strange, it hasn't been tampred with".
I'm like WTF, tampered with?
She explained there was a noticeable drop in my usage - so much so that it flagged their computer. They came out expecting to find I had tampred with thge meter and thus the drop in usage. But nope ~ the meter reader had been reading it wrong for the past three months. I got about a $500 credit.
---

blown dough
08-04-2006, 05:56 AM
$589.00 here, 3500sf single story, ac set at 78 usually all day because I am home plus the pool and all the appliances, fridge in the garage and one outside at the BBQ area. Plus we were gone about 2 weeks in July.

HocusPocus
08-04-2006, 06:08 AM
i don't think edison has lower charges at night.. they have various levels and your get charged per kw based on your usage. our last couple of bills were $550.00 and 85% was in the 4th and highest level. within the last couple of months we upgraded all our appliances, got rid of the extra fridge, only use the swamp cooler at 75 degrees, turned off the spa and run the pool for a few hours every few days.. our bill is still too much. our neighbor just built a new house which is twice the size of ours and his bill is inder $200 a month. he did do a lot of upgrades to help curb the energy costs.. looks like they are paying off for him.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-04-2006, 06:20 AM
We are ghetto and do not have A/C. The month of July was brutal but we survived. What will be nice is our Edison bill should be a normal $120 or so. :D
Does running an extra fridge/freezer in the garage really make that big of a difference on the electric bill? We have an oldschool freezer in our garage. I am sure its not as energy efficient as it could be but I don't think I would unplug it just to save on the electric bill. In fact, I want a fridge on the patio/bbq area too. :rollside:

HocusPocus
08-04-2006, 06:22 AM
We are ghetto and do not have A/C. The month of July was brutal but we survived. What will be nice is our Edison bill should be a normal $120 or so. :D
Does running an extra fridge/freezer in the garage really make that big of a difference on the electric bill? We have an oldschool freezer in our garage. I am sure its not as energy efficient as it could be but I don't think I would unplug it just to save on the electric bill. In fact, I want a fridge on the patio/bbq area too. :rollside:
its its an older fridge, and your garage isn't temperature controlled its a huge difference. the newer ones are all energy star compliant and draw a lot less juice.

Riverkid
08-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Ours went up almost $200 last month, to $640. Two fridge/freezers plus a Subzero wine fridge, pool, etc. Our increases all came from running the AC at 78. We hardly run ours (tinted windows, full shade rear patio cover, etc.) but man, last month was brutal. Looking forward to this cooler weather. Whole house fan and 70 degrees outside at night is REAL nice.
That humidity sucked!

MrsSigEpMock
08-04-2006, 06:41 AM
I got ours 3 days ago, I almost pooped too. :crossx: The scary part is, the heat-wave isn't on this bill. Ours has been running about $100, this one was 250. I know that's not a lot compared to some of you, but we keep our house about 77, and the 220v Jacuzzi heater/pump crapped out about a month ago. I'd say we use less electricity than the average household, and if $250.00 is less than average, for the first time I don't mind being "below average"! :rollside:

RiverToysJas
08-04-2006, 06:59 AM
They come out and look at numbers on a meter once a month, how do they know when you're using that power? I'm guessing you have to have a different kind of meter for that dealio.
RTJas :D

framer1
08-04-2006, 07:13 AM
I haven't got my bill this month bill yet but I ran my air non stop doing that heatwave. I also have five refrigerators one by the pool one it each garage and one in bar in house and one in kitchen. I guess I should probably disconnect some. Never really thought about them costing me to much money. I guess I could walk a little farther to get a cold beer :)

burtandnancy
08-04-2006, 07:15 AM
ShotK, if the electric bill and location on the river is your main criteria, then move to Boulder City. Theres a great big hydrogenerator right there...

Mrs.HLB
08-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Well, we got our bill yesterday. It was $265 and we kept the ac on all day around 79-80. No pool or extra fridge in the garage either. Our highest ever bill in the summer months was about $110. I am glad it has cooled off!!
Mrs.HLB

charlyox
08-04-2006, 07:56 AM
my bill was $740 and the river house was $220.

Outnumbered
08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
They come out and look at numbers on a meter once a month, how do they know when you're using that power? I'm guessing you have to have a different kind of meter for that dealio.
RTJas :D
They use digital meters.

Huckleberry
08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Close, but no cigar...$1139 this month! :mad:

Bense468
08-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Just got mine 3 days ago and it was $114, Fridge in the garage, but I just put in a whole new AC/ Furnace. You guys need to get out more.

AZJD
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Holy crap, my house payment isn't that much! What size house do you have?

wsuwrhr
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
In addition to my house usuage, run my 3ph CNC shop out of my garage.
My bill was 165.
Brian

572Daytona
08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Mine was about $560 last month, no pool but we run the AC pretty much all of the time and my wife likes it cool, we have 2 central AC units, the main floor one is cooling about 3000sq ft, the downstairs unit about 2000, 12ft ceilings on both floors. The main floor unit gets overextended on hot days, we really could use a 3rd unit up there. My wife and I both work from home all day and have 7 or 8 computers that are on all of the time, 2 refrigerators and an 85gal hot water heater. We have no gas, all electric for everything. Even without any ac my bill is still around $200 or so.

'78 gt boat
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
My new house in Az. is 2500sq ft. and the pool isn't done yet and the hottest part of the summer so far the bill is $350.00 per month. I thought I had it bad but $685!!!! What do you have the temp set at 65? :crossx: :crossx:

ADDICTED
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
$685.00 Riverside. :cry:
3,200 sgft.
Dual air. When we are gone set at 79. When we are there is is set at 74-75.
Pool and spa run 9 hours. I was told this ahd to be done becuase tof the salt water? Last bill it was only 425.00. :mad:
Either way I guess it better than my dads $1,200.00 bill. :cry:

SHOTKALLIN
08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
My new house in Az. is 2500sq ft. and the pool isn't done yet and the hottest part of the summer so far the bill is $350.00 per month. I thought I had it bad but $685!!!! What do you have the temp set at 65? :crossx: :crossx:
never set the temp below 79/80......seriously.

Angry Inch
08-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Holy crap, my house payment isn't that much! What size house do you have?
That's what I was going to say.

sleekcraft137
08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
All's I can say is WOW!!!!! :220v: I moved out of socal in late nov of 04. I can't beleive how bad the whole electric bill thing has gotten. I had a pool there and everything.....i couldn't imagine paying that much for electricity!!!

SHOTKALLIN
08-04-2006, 12:17 PM
ShotK, if the electric bill and location on the river is your main criteria, then move to Boulder City. Theres a great big hydrogenerator right there...
does that mean that they give out electricity for free?

riverracerx
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
My bill this month: $795.00 :2purples:

OCMerrill
08-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I have herd this before and cant understand how they (elec. co) can tell what time of the day your using power?
I have an old meter that just totalizes the usage spinning that little disk. Can I request a newer meter that breaks the useage down?
I have a 1550 sq. foot single level home with no pool, central ac never below 75 degrees and a couple of computers on full time (which have to stay on) and my bill was $315. WTF...last year at this time the usage was just a little less my 90 kwh and my bill was $187. Edision needs a raise?
Take it because they can.
Solar will cost $20k, wait like a year to get it, the panels are ugly, and subject to damage at all times. There is another system in the house to malfunction and cause issues. It takes like 13-15 years to pay it back. Also at night...does nothing, but if one could get "night pricing" then cool.
Don't know if this is the way to go or not.
Freind of my has a wind generator. Powers batteries for his shed. Runs an inverter. Pretty cool. I would need like 30 of them to make a difference at my house.

rivergoer
08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
man i thought my elec and gas bill was high...shiat 100 bucks for both...then again that sea breeze keeps it nice and cool... :)

blown dough
08-04-2006, 04:42 PM
man i thought my elec and gas bill was high...shiat 100 bucks for both...then again that sea breeze keeps it nice and cool... :)
Wow, we are at about 600.00 for elec and $268.00 for gas.

77charger
08-04-2006, 04:49 PM
house was set at 70 all last month(24/7) bill came in 175 bucks :D but its only 1200 sq ft a/c unit is big enough to cool a house twice the size if i add on too so it cools very fast

Daytona19
08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I work for the electric company in our area and sad to say but this is not at all uncommon. Few things to check, the fridge in your garage might be running more than needed, if you have a well pump or heat pump that could be checked too. Any water bed heaters = possible trouble and the stuff you mentioned too. If the top of you meter reads 120v each leg and 240v across both hots your service comming is is just fine but if there is a noticable drop on the other side (your side of the meter) could be a connection problem. Generally older meters run slower so therefor your bill may be lower with an older meter unless you have digital or a new house. One way to check things is turn off all brakers except your main. Then one by one turn on each breaker and then check the meter each time too. If one spins your meter like crazy would will find the circuit causing problems. Hope this helps. I winter here makes my largest bill, 2500 sq ft home, pole barn mine will run 400 to 480.00 in the coldest months and thats normal. Good luck bud..

Psycho Squid
08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Just gave a barrel of race fuel up....... :cry: Electric bill $600.00+ In havasu (NUTZ)......Im moving to Alaska, Whale oil is cheep. :idea:
Squid

Riverhound
08-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Edison bill showed up yesterday and was........... $870 :mad:
That's gonna leave a mark!!!!

Sleek-Jet
08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
i don't think edison has lower charges at night..
They do... it's called a Time Of Use rate (TOU)... you pay considerably less during off peak hours (at night/early mornings/weekends) and are charged a premium for on peak hours (during the day weekdays)...
It takes a little usage discipline, but if you're willing to work at it you can save...

Sleek-Jet
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I have herd this before and cant understand how they (elec. co) can tell what time of the day your using power?
This goes along with my previous post.
There is what's called a Time of Use (TOU) meter... it's electronic and has a calendar and clock programmed into it. The meter records how many kilowatt hours you use during certain times of the day, either "On Peak" or "Off Peak"... you get charged a different rate based on those two readings.
Off Peak rates are usually set up just above whole sale power charges (only a couple cents a kWh)... while On peak is several times higher than the base rate... the idea is to shift you electric usage to times of less demand. With a little discipline, you can save alot of money.

Outnumbered
08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Here ya go.............
http://www.sce.com/NR/rdonlyres/500349F1-8419-4B1F-8805-9961D4342957/0/TOUD1RateSheetFinal.pdf

H20 Toie
08-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I knew i was going to have a large bill since i just put in the 130 saltwater tank and the chiller has been going non stop plus i leave the house at 72 (3100 sq ft) plus the motorhome is plugged in and the frig in the outside patio and the boat is plugged in most of the time.
My usage doubled but the dollar amount tripled this bill was $909

beyondhelpin
08-04-2006, 09:30 PM
3000 sq ft, 10 years old, 76 degrees, older fridge and bar fridge and 2 girls. :crossx: Highest ever at $239.
The fridge has turned into kind of a joke. It is 25 years old. Bought it when we got married. I told momma 10 or 15 years ago when it quit we would get a new one. The damn thing wont die! Wife would sabatoge if she had a clue how to! I love it. Wonder how many more years she will have to endure without water and ice in the door! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Sanger Pete
08-04-2006, 09:42 PM
We put solar panels on last fall--net cost, after rebates, and tax credits, was right at $25K. We live in Fresno, have a 2500 sq ft house, pool, dual pane windows, added insulation, extra ref. and chest freezer in laundry room, two dual pacs, and leave thermostats at 80*. PG&E electric bill went from $750 last year to $75 last month this year. During the spring, the electric bills were about $20 per month. We're pretty happy with the improvement--it sure is fun to watch that meter run backward.

H20 Toie
08-04-2006, 11:04 PM
We put solar panels on last fall--net cost, after rebates, and tax credits, was right at $25K. We live in Fresno, have a 2500 sq ft house, pool, dual pane windows, added insulation, extra ref. and chest freezer in laundry room, two dual pacs, and leave thermostats at 80*. PG&E electric bill went from $750 last year to $75 last month this year. During the spring, the electric bills were about $20 per month. We're pretty happy with the improvement--it sure is fun to watch that meter run backward.
I guess you get use to being in a house that is 80 but i would rather be comfortable

OCMerrill
08-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Got it.
Thanks for the education.
I am sure many bills went up until folks figured the program out.
What the savings are, is not really spelled out. Typical.
This goes along with my previous post.
There is what's called a Time of Use (TOU) meter... it's electronic and has a calendar and clock programmed into it. The meter records how many kilowatt hours you use during certain times of the day, either "On Peak" or "Off Peak"... you get charged a different rate based on those two readings.
Off Peak rates are usually set up just above whole sale power charges (only a couple cents a kWh)... while On peak is several times higher than the base rate... the idea is to shift you electric usage to times of less demand. With a little discipline, you can save alot of money.

Sleek-Jet
08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Got it.
Thanks for the education.
I am sure many bills went up until folks figured the program out.
What the savings are, is not really spelled out. Typical.
Actually you have to sign up for the TOU rate... at least that's how I see it.
The Baseline dealio is a slidding scale type tarriff... the more you use over your average... the more they are going to charge you for it. Same idea as the TOU, trying to get people to lessen their usage during high demand times, but alot more painfull in the pocket book.
I just went and looked, according to the tarriff book, the TOU rate is not subject to the baseline price increases... though the on peak rate is pretty close to the high baseline rate...

Trailer Park Casanova
08-05-2006, 04:01 AM
It's a great do-it-yourself job too.
The power company will change out the meter to one that is set up for solar., ya pull the permit, hang the panels and it's a simple 3 wire connection. You can spring a few bux and have an electrician to the connection to really make it cheap and simple.
You can pull it off DIY for about $10K to $12K.
Go to electric heat and ya really get killer year round savings.
LADWP has a discount program for their customers to buy the solar panels at a really good savings.
Our electric bill is rarely over $90, so I havent moved that way yet.

Sleek-Jet
08-05-2006, 04:13 AM
It's a great do-it-yourself job too.
The power company will change out the meter to one that is set up for solar., ya pull the permit, hang the panels and it's a simple 3 wire connection. You can spring a few bux and have an electrician to the connection to really make it cheap and simple.
You can pull it off DIY for about $10K to $12K.
Go to electric heat and ya really get killer year round savings.
LADWP has a discount program for their customers to buy the solar panels at a really good savings.
Our electric bill is rarely over $90, so I havent moved that way yet.
Here in AZ, we require a liscensed spark chaser to get involved... mainly so that we know the throw over/automatic disconnect gets installed correctly... we don't want any back feed possibilities for safety reasons during an outage.
If you go electric heat... check these out... www.steffes.com ... ETS heaters are the beez kneez... I installed one in my grandparents house in Colorado. The propane and electric bills were eating them alive (IR propane stove and old base board heat)... Being older, they like the house warm (like in the mid 80's)... utility bills were over 200/per month before. Since I installed the heater and they went on the TOU rate, their bills haven't been over 90.00 for nearly 4 years now, and the house is all electric.

disco_charger
08-05-2006, 06:17 AM
When and how did they determine the "baseline"?

lalhc
08-05-2006, 07:16 AM
I haven't received my Edison bill yet because we've been living in Havasu the past 4 weeks :rollside: I'm sure it will be around $100 since we don't have AC (house in Lake Arrowhead) and we were only home 10 days in July. I have know idea how much my bill will be in Havasu. I'm expecting it to be around $350 for a 1700 sq ft home w/swimming pool.