PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Electric brakes?

DelawareDave
08-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Anyone have electric brakes on their boat trailer? I haven't seen any pics of jetboat type trailers with a surge brake setup on them. Now that doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means I haven't seen them. :) What connector do you run,if you have electric brakes? 6 pin or 7 pin? I know either will work, but I am trying to determine what is used normally.

jkh04200
08-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Unless it was a large boat or you have a small tow vehicle, I wouldn't waste the money on brakes. From what I've been told your always gonna have problems with them. Just slow down a litttle and you'll be fine. Just my .02

DelawareDave
08-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Actually, that was my original intention. Delaware says up to 4K before brakes are required, but the states surrounding me are 3K max for no brakes. The easiest for me would be to put electric on 1 axle, and be done with it. My tow vehicle is an F250/V10 towing an 18' jet boat, so there isn't a problem with capacity there! :)

H2oracer
08-04-2006, 07:35 AM
One system I have seen is electric over hydraulic.

painterdan32
08-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Actually, that was my original intention. Delaware says up to 4K before brakes are required, but the states surrounding me are 3K max for no brakes. The easiest for me would be to put electric on 1 axle, and be done with it. My tow vehicle is an F250/V10 towing an 18' jet boat, so there isn't a problem with capacity there! :)
Here in Ohio and Indiana, any tandem trailer must have brakes on at least the rear axle. I have electric brakes on my rear axle and just love them! No jerking from the surge breaks anymore. I installed a DIGITAL brake controller in the truck. Very easy to adjust to specific metering and strength. I have a seven pin connector on mine. The 7TH pin is for backup lights. I havent installed the lights yet but have the wire run. Welded the surge brake slider to the trailer instead of re-doing the tounge. I can barely tell it's back there. My .02 . Thanks for posting to my thread as well.

painterdan32
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM
One thing you should know also. The instructions tell you to unplug your trailer before immersing it into water... such as a boat ramp.

cactusgolfcarts
08-07-2006, 08:04 AM
We put new axle's with electric brakes (dumped the surge P.O.S.) on both. 28ft deckboat 7500lbs total It is awesome to know that you can emergency stop when needed. We unplug the trailer as soon as we stop to "prep" the boat before putting it in the water. We have 3200 miles on this set-up and it has been flawless.