PDA

View Full Version : 496 mag actin up

Get415
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
got a problem and i'm F-IN pissed. Ever since my very first 20hr service i have been gettin (2) beeps every minute that come on as soon as i go over 2500 rpm. as long as i back it down it will stay running. If i get on it and hit 3000, i get the (2) beeps and it just shuts down. the comp was sending over-rev signal. Mechanic did whateved he did, problem still there. Couldn't reproduce the problem on the dyno so we lake tested. after recieving every error code known to man Merc said computer was bad. After replacing computer components and mucho dollars later.... SAME F-IN Problem. PLease help if you have any ideas, i've been jacked all summer with this problem.
And i dont think the shop is doin me wrong. Maverik Marine knows what they are doin.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

MOBrien
08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
my bro-in-law had what sounds to be the very same issue with his 496HO last year. Took it back to the boat mfg and they couldn't reproduce the problem or diagnose it, but then on the lake it'd do it again. He too was really pissed. Kinda scary cause it didn't give much warning in terms of time before shutdown. beep beep and total shutdown while accelerating. Not safe considering it was like accelerating hard in your car and then slamming the brakes without seatbelts. Anyhow, he took it to Boatmasters II in Dublin, CA after visiting with the boat mfg in LA and they found the problem in just a few minutes. Here is his "results" post & hope it helps you ID your issue.
I have a 496HO in an Essex Sterling. I was having beeping issues and randomly the computer would shut it down, but there was no method to the madness. I was getting 2 beeps every 62 seconds but it would only do it regularly once in awhile. Anyway, a few of you posted good suggestions. After an unamed boat shop charged me $500 last summer and found no problems, it started doing it again. I took it to Drew at Boatmasters II in Dublin. Fixed it in less than 24 hrs, even did a minor tune up/oil change. No more beeping and its running great. Turned out to be a fuel pump relay. If a shop does not have THE NEW LAPTOP FROM MERCURY, find one that does. They couldn't find the problem with the regular hand held set up, but the new laptop spit out the fault code in short order, they replaced the part, and I was back on the water.

Get415
08-08-2006, 12:52 PM
that makes sense...thanks for the quick response. i hope that works

MOBrien
08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
if that's your issue, you'll be glad. It was a quick and very inexpensive fix. Just took a current and up to date shop with the right diagnostics to show the correct fault code. Essex's mechanics who installed and did the rigging couldn't even figure it out. :rolleyes:
Good luck & report back if it works.

MOBrien
08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Nice Cheeter by the way. I gots one too & we love it!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1762Cheetah_003-med.jpg

wedge44
08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Nice Cheeter by the way. I gots one too & we love it!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1762Cheetah_003-med.jpg
I've seen this boat parked at Woodranch BBQ in SCV

Beer-30
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
It's not actually a Merc laptop. It's just the Rinda DIACOM software. Supposed to be the shiznit.
http://216.230.203.183/marine/marine.htm