PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence?

lalhc
08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't know if it's coincidence or not but my wife filled up her Expedition at the Sundance Mobil today and the tank did not register at all. I told her to take it to the Ford dealership and they told her that there was sulfur in her gas that was causinng the gauges not to register. They also told her that it would register in an hour or so (which it did) and to go buy Techron fuel additive at Chevron. Anyone else run into this situation w/their car, truck or boat?

H20Advantage
08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Maybe that is why they have the cheapest gas right now ($2.79). Hope it's not a problem just filled the boat and burb there.

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:20 AM
What would cause sulfur to get in the tank?

lalhc
08-09-2006, 04:27 AM
The Ford technician said Arizona gas is not as clean as other gas. I've never heard of that, but he did warn my wife not to re-fuel at Super Fuels.

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 04:41 AM
Interesting. Thought all gas basically came from the same pumping stations.
The Ford technician said Arizona gas is not as clean as other gas. I've never heard of that, but he did warn my wife not to re-fuel at Super Fuels.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
08-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Same thing happen to me Monday, filled at Terrible's. I always fill there and have never experienced this before?

THOR
08-09-2006, 05:37 AM
There are more additives as well as not being as clean.

KLEPTOW
08-09-2006, 06:09 AM
If you do not turn off your engine while fueling Ford vehicles the fuel gauges will not reset until you turn off the key and turn it back on. I have 5 ford vehicals and it does this on all of them.

sleekcraft78
08-09-2006, 06:38 AM
It happened to one of our work trucks last week. Took it to the deaker and got the same answer. I'm wonder if thats whats wrong with my boat. One take was supposed to be full and the other had half, switched over to full and its reading empty. I was thinking my white trash neibor siefend it. :mad:

Kilrtoy
08-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe that is why they have the cheapest gas right now ($2.79). Hope it's not a problem just filled the boat and burb there.
Hey silly, Sundance is teh second most expensive in town right now, I think you are confusing SUPER FUELS with SUNDANCE

RiverDave
08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
It happened to one of our work trucks last week. Took it to the deaker and got the same answer. I'm wonder if thats whats wrong with my boat. One take was supposed to be full and the other had half, switched over to full and its reading empty. I was thinking my white trash neibor siefend it. :mad:
Years ago I had a problem with a sender in the fuel tank of that boat. I had it replaced, it makes me wonder if the other one went bad? Fill up both tanks to the brim, and then flip the switch back and forth and see if the guage reads full on both of them.. If you take a flash light with you, you can point it down the fuel fills and see how much gas is in there which should give you some indication between the left and right tank.
Incidentally your box IS being picked up today. UPS didn't come by yesterday. I did'nt schedule a pick up becuase they usually stop by daily to see if we need anything. Yesterday he didn't for some reason.
RD

Ziggy
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM
There are more additives as well as not being as clean.Clean is a loosely used term with fuel...........The additives make it cleaner burning and/or has cleansers to keep injectors unplugged and atomizing properly....the cleansers help keep the contacts clean on the level sender, thats why he said put in techron, its a cleanser.

lalhc
08-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I had a similar problem w/my boat a couple weeks ago. My motor seemed sluggish at times. All I needed to do was to stop, rev the motor a couple of times, and it was fine. I had my motor checked and everything checked out fine. Since then I've been filling my boat @ Chevron because I suspected the gas I had in my boat was not good. My boats been runnng fine since.

sleekcraft137
08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
If you do not turn off your engine while fueling Ford vehicles the fuel gauges will not reset until you turn off the key and turn it back on. I have 5 ford vehicals and it does this on all of them.Yup same here.....I was gonna say the samething

Havasu Hangin'
08-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I had two fuel pumps go out on my Sub in the first 5,000 miles. They eventually solved it by putting some parts in that are meant for third-world countries (where they have high sulpher content fuel). Mercedes had a similar problem a few years ago.
Maybe the sulpher content is creeping up in the US.

Daytona100
08-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Happened to me last week. 99 GT mustang filled up at am-pm started working again later. Thought the sending unit was taking a sh-t.

Throttle
08-09-2006, 08:57 PM
fuel gauge does not always register in my ford either (f250sd). its the only truck I have ever had that after leaving the gas station and getting on the freeway the gas gauge begins to fill instead of empty...lol. :rollside:

uvindex
08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I remember back in 2004 I got a letter from Costco warning me that I might have purchased sulfur-contaminated fuel from them. The letter said if my gas gauge started acting up that they would fix it. Fortunately that didn't happen. But, it shows that sulfur can definitely mess up your fuel guage.
Here's something from a quick Google search:
"AUGUST, 2004 -- MIAMI -- Approximately 70,000 claims have been filed due to the fuel-quality problem that shut down Shell and Texaco stations in May, reported the Miami Herald. Some 25,000 Floridians have sought reimbursement for damage to their automobiles that they claim was caused by faulty fuel sold by Shell and Texaco gas stations, Shell Oil Products disclosed.
The fuel-quality fiasco that shut down Shell and Texaco stations over the Memorial Day weekend impacted other companies as well. BP, ConocoPhillips, Colonial Oil and Valero Energy Corp. were all supplied with the substandard fuel from a Port Everglades terminal operated by Motiva Enterprises, a refiner partially owned by Shell, a Shell spokesman said. Those companies, however, reported few if any complaints from customers. Overall, Shell said it has received about 70,000 claims from drivers in Florida and Louisiana up from about 9,000 on June 1. The fallout resulted from elemental sulfur found in gasoline originating from the Houston-based Motiva's refinery in Norco, La.
Shell Oil Products spokesman Shawn Frederick wouldn't say how much the mishap has cost. Considering the cost to replace gas-gauge sensor ranges from approximately $150 to over $1,000 in some high-performance cars, the cost will likely run into the tens of millions of dollars. "

SHOTKALLIN
08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Boycott Exxon/Mobil...they will lower thier price if they cant sell gas. They are the bigest oil company.

centerhill condor
08-10-2006, 01:26 AM
boycott a foreign oil company if you must... royal dutch shell, british petroleum, atto fina, etc...

HMF'er
08-10-2006, 02:10 AM
If you do not turn off your engine while fueling Ford vehicles the fuel gauges will not reset until you turn off the key and turn it back on. I have 5 ford vehicals and it does this on all of them.
Mine must have been wired wrong. 2003 F250, usually leave it running so the wife and kids stay cool. I watch the gauge go up as I fill the tank.