PDA

View Full Version : SK Hull Description

RobertWichert
07-12-2001, 05:03 PM
I have heard people refer to "SK Hulls" but I don't know what that refers to. Is or was that a racing classification? Is it flatbottom? Shallow Vee? Pad Keel? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Robert

07-12-2001, 10:33 PM
Damn, That phrase goes back to the 60s, SK class is Flatbottom V-drives.

126driver
07-13-2001, 12:21 PM
The SK circle boat class ran modified 400 c.i.motors in the '60's, and, along with the E class, was a predecessor to the Superstock (SS) class. A lot of oldtime fans still refer to Superstocks as SK boats.
Scott

RobertWichert
07-13-2001, 09:43 PM
OK, so this is Super Stock class, limited by motor displacement. Is that it? So it could be flat bottom, shallow vee, "Mod VP" or other hull type?
I was told that Sanger made an "SK" hull at one time, and I can't find anything to refer to Sanger's SK design.
Thanks for the info though!
Robert

126driver
07-14-2001, 10:51 AM
No, there are stringent hull limitations, but in a nutshell SS circle boats ( and the old SK's) are limited to flatbottom V-drives, 18' maximum length.
Scott

126driver
07-14-2001, 10:58 AM
By the way Robert, Sanger was a major player in circle boat racing during the 60's and 70's. Biesemeyer, Revenge, D'Cucci and Bieser are the hulls of choice today.
Scott
[This message has been edited by 126driver (edited July 14, 2001).]

RobertWichert
07-21-2001, 11:32 PM
Well, thanks for the information. The "SK" hull I was told about was a shallow Vee, so I must have been misled. If SK was flat, flat is flat.
Thanks!
Robert

sea buddy
07-22-2001, 03:39 PM
sk was a flat at the transom coming to a mimium vee shaped bow. Then jets came along and they needed a shallow v at the transom to keep from sucking air into their water pump, but the deck styling was kept the same as the v-drive. Then 16' flatties begot 18' flatties and marathon races begot 20' endurance "sk" which were over buildt to indure 500 miles, which made them heavier and a shallow v at the transom was introduced to soften the ride and leed to more indurance as the boats had lost that light weight, sprint type boats anyway. Still the same deck styling. By the way, someone like Bob Brown or that editor at large guy "kevin" should be writting this , not me.

RobertWichert
07-23-2001, 06:29 AM
Well, that would certainly account for the hull I have being called "SK". It is very low-deck above the water line, with little freeboard, like a low-deck flat bottom, but with a shallow vee in front and a very shallow vee in back, with two chines and then a flat horizontal runner at the edges. The middle is rounded, not flat like a bass boat, so it could be for increased comfort in chop. From what I have gathered, the SK describes a racing class, and several hull styles have been allowed, not restricted to flat bottom, but being biased towards flat bottom for speed, at least in the early years.
Thanks!