PDA

View Full Version : First Boat Purchase

asch
08-13-2006, 02:22 PM
--

bkplesh
08-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Hello. New guy here,
I'm considering buying a used boat. I've been around and tinkered on my friends' boats, but never owned one. The vessel in question is approx. 21-22', jet, and looks to be a BBC under the cover. It appears to have been used regularly but I don't know how recently. The registration shows 2001 stickers while the trailer is current. I've not looked at it in detail but then again I'm not sure what I should look for as far as damage/excessive use. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Assumming all is good as far as the boat, what kinds of fees or penlaties could I be looking at if the paperwork hasn't been kept up? The owner is advertising $3,200 for it.
Sorry bout the low res pics. I just saw it yesterday and had a quick minute to snap the pics.
Oh yeah...would it be wise, since I have no boat buying experience to have it looked at by a local boat shop or some place that can determine its condition?
Thanks.
I would take it to a local boat shop!!!Then I would go drive it!!!Theres alot of thing that maybe hiden that you can't see.It's not that much money to get it looked at(maybe around 60-70)But they should tell you alot about the boat and take a friend that knows about boats.

BRAWNY
08-13-2006, 02:48 PM
couple of suggestions;see if the owner is willing to takeyou
for a test ride,if he will offer him a few bucks towards gas.
you could learn alot about that boat during a test at the lake.
also see if he'd be willing to take care of the registration,might seem
like alot to ask,but if he's serious about selling the boat,it shouldn't
be to unreasonable.have fun and good luck.brawny :crossx:

BRAWNY
08-13-2006, 03:37 PM
I notice you're over in Norwalk? Know of any reputable boat shops in the OC/LA area?
not to jack this thread,but what type of work are you looking for?
one place to avoid is BOAT PLANET on rosecrans in norwalk.

a catered life
08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
couple of suggestions;see if the owner is willing to takeyou
for a test ride,if he will offer him a few bucks towards gas.
you could learn alot about that boat during a test at the lake.
also see if he'd be willing to take care of the registration,might seem
like alot to ask,but if he's serious about selling the boat,it shouldn't
be to unreasonable.have fun and good luck.brawny :crossx:
this is good solid adivse
my first boat was past used and i bought it without anyone looking at it and needless to say it costed me a crap load of extra money :yuk: ...the hull had a hairline crack was the biggest problem...so follow brawny words and ask the owner a lot of questions good luck...also where do you want to do most of your boating...size and type of boat make a big difference

a catered life
08-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Elsinore, Havasu (have family that recently moved there and nobody has a boat. I want to change that!), Nacimiento, Bass Lake, Mead. etc., etc. Basically any lake I can get to. :rollside:
you'll be ok on most of those lakes (not havi) until the big boys get to rollin and the water will get chopped real fast....with that hull and size you will be tossed around pretty bad

rerfert
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
The price looks good...the tandem trailer is a plus...you mentioned you have friends with boats? run them by the boat and get a few more opinions.
The registration being 01 shouldn't be a problem for the boat??
HERE in Arizona, one I bought was 4 years out of registration and fish and game just went from my bill of sale/transfer date for the new registration sticker.
O'Ya if your on a deep lake you might want to consider filling the front of the bow with foam.

centerhill condor
08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
are you gonna be doing any maintenance work yourself? I'd spring a fifty for the test ride and see how he drives it. Check the oil for water before and after. Listen to the starter does it grind or is there a nice steady compression "sound" on all 8? Watch the instruments..oil, temp, batt... are they nice and steady or crazy readings all over? Look into the jet intake... look at the blades are they nice and straight? or are they all chipped up from breaking big rocks into little ones? during the test ride does the boat ride the way you want? Some of these jets will beat you to death long after the love affair with the bbc sound fades... examine the wiring for molten insulation... I like the look and price of the boat. If it drives right buy the thing and enjoy it. I don't think you can go very wrong for the money. Bring cash and offer $2800 after the ride. I think you'll get a decent first boat and if you sink it the money won't break you to leave it in davey jones' locker! always wear a life jacket while under way...always! good luck!

RitcheyRch
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Definitely take it for a test ride and then try to find a local reputable boat mechanic that will look it over from top to bottom. That alone could save you a bunch of money in the long run.

76ANTHONY
08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
getting a test ride is definitly a plus, bring gas money. the people i bought my bought through werent near any bodies of water. check to see if its a chevy big block, thats also a plus. the tandem trailer is a plus. for the money i think its a very nice first boat, gets you in for a small dollar amount and you can see if boating is for you, hell if ya dont like boating, you could always clean it up and sell it next year. just my .02 just cause i went through this 2 years ago.... :)

Decided Advantage
08-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Keep in mind that you probably aren't going to be getting a season of trouble free boating for $3200.
Take it to a professional and find out what it needs now to be safe and reliable. If you can satsify with any repairs and clean-up for under $5000 you'll be doing good.
Have fun! BTW. The boat looks like it could be fun.

superdave013
08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
to me at a quick glance that price is in line.
If you need some one to give it the look see I'd have Tom Papp @ Tom Papp Racing in Corona look it over for you. He's a straight shooter and jets are his main biz.
I would talk to the DMV about the paper work/fees before you do anything though.

centerhill condor
08-14-2006, 03:07 AM
no test ride...no sale... maybe you should just walk on by this one?? He's had it three years and hasn't addressed the hin "problem"? Are you sure he owes for college loans and not bail money? If you're really interested in the boat wait a month or so and get a dmv plan together...he will come around or a bigger sucker will show up with the cash!

v-drive
08-14-2006, 03:34 AM
no test ride...no sale... maybe you should just walk on by this one?? He's had it three years and hasn't addressed the hin "problem"? Are you sure he owes for college loans and not bail money? If you're really interested in the boat wait a month or so and get a dmv plan together...he will come around or a bigger sucker will show up with the cash!
I won't bore you with my story, but I came up against about the same deal about 10 years ago. I didn't walk by and I fought to get a season out of the boat and the next season I junked the hull. Let this one slide by...v-drive

Garrddogg
08-14-2006, 05:32 AM
No test, No inspection,No HIN ?? Dude dont walk away RUN!!

OGShocker
08-14-2006, 05:36 AM
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx: Welcome to the JUNGLE!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

a catered life
08-14-2006, 05:56 AM
No test, No inspection,No HIN ?? Dude dont walk away RUN!!
i second that

Desert Rat
08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
I agree with the run don't walk away! If you really wan't it have it looked over by a shop and maybe have DMV do a paper work search to Cover your azz
Willie you get the windsheild fixed??? Just busting your balls a little :crossx:

HM
08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
If you are looking for a deal, Just follow a guy here on the boards by the name of Mouzer. He picks up a boat everycouple weeks and then turns around and sells them for hundreds and thousands less.

No Name
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Just follow a guy here on the boards by the name of Mouzer. He picks up a boat everycouple weeks and then turns around and sells them for hundreds and thousands less.
Maybe he can pick up mine. :D :D

Partycattin
08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree that you should pass on this one. There are a lot of boats available out there without the HIN issues.
I would strongly suggest looking at something with a deeper hull if you have faimly in Havasu and plan on boating there. I had a boat about this size and got beat up out there. Sold it because of that.

wolfie
08-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggetions.
UPDATE:
Well, I just spoke with owner.
He's owned it 3 years and put it in the water, at Havasu, 3 times. Got busted the last time because of the reg. being out of date. It has sat for the last year and never registered it. I asked why and he says he just never got around to it.
Here's the interesting part:
It was stolen previous to his aquiring of it, HIN was ground off the hull and was subsequently deemed SALVAGED on the title. It's currently "non-operational" status with DMV.
He "says" all three times out it ran fine, no problems whatsoever.
I personally think he just don't wanna deal with the titling and pay for another HIN to be issued and installed or whatever. Afterall, he's run it and kept it this long and says actually, he isn't all too sure he's ready to sell it but will if someone shows up with the cash. I CAN tell you guys, after talkin' with this dude, that he probably isn't going to let me test run it nor let a shop look at. He's selling it as-is. I can just tell by his attitude. He's not mean about it, just very firm that its going as is. I don't know, maybe the $2800 theory might work and if it turns out to be a lemon....? Then at least I've got a new project. Then I can give him the finger every time I drive by his home. I don't think that's going to be the case though.
Another thing, I think this guy just doesn't know very much about boats or at least about this one. He didn't even know the name of the jet (Jacuzzi) and doesn't know the capacity of the fuel tanks even. I think he knows less than I. By the way, are 'Jacuzzi' jets worth a crap?
As far as the title/reg goes, I would obviously have to pay..and he said so too. He ain't payin' for nothing. "it's a steal" he says (literally, a steal I guess you might say lol). At first he wasn't too forthcoming with that last bit of info., but after I told him I live around the corner from him, he started givin' up some facts.
So...part of me thinks it's just gonna be a matter of registration and a new HIN as far as THAT stuff goes as in paperwork, no big deal but...part of me thinks, but hopes there isn't some structual problem as in the hull. I looked it over a little more closely and didn't see anything outwardly wrong or otherwise broken. He claims he bought it and it was turn key. The batteries are dead as of right now but he's going to charge them and drain the fuel tanks before he does anything so thats a good thing.
Also, the reason for the lowball price he says is because he's got a student loan to pay off and hoping to get rid of it quickly if someone has the cash. I don't know, if it weren't for title situation, I'd feel a LITTLE better about it.
You also might want to check with your insurance agent. With most vehicles a salvage title also devalues it just in case of a claim.

Ion
08-19-2006, 08:42 AM
I can't emphasize this point enough: if you plan on doing a good amount of your boating here (Havasu), start looking for deep-v hulls or cats, opposed to the two examples you have presented thus far. You'll get tossed around like a bobber on any given weekend during the season with anything less.

BOOGEYMAN
08-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Good choice!!!! NEVER buy a used boat with out driving it.

ratso
08-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Bayliner is one of the crappiest boats on the market. Also stay away from one with a low freeboard. Good advice on here... get a deeper vee, minimum 19 ft for starters...

ratso
08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
What makes the bayliners so bad? I kind of remember hearing about them before but never really knew.....or is it just one of those "known" things to stay away from in the boating world?
Before opening my own place in 89, the dealer I worked for took on Bayliner... which is when I got my first "real taste" of them. Briefly... the hulls are built a lot thinner than most other manufacturers, especially the sides... but their way of thinking is that you don't normally do that much damage to the sides, usually it's underneath... but still they are built thin. The carpet doesn't even have the rubber backing, super cheap and super thin. The advantage to this is that if the seller has actually used this boat for say 5 years or so, he has probably had to replace it, hopefully with better quality carpet. The vinyl that the seats are upholstered with also wears out quicker than anything I've ever seen in my life. As far as the wood in the boat, you are lucky if you have any glass at all on it except for where there are any seams. They figure the glue that they use to glue down their cheap ass carpet with is enough of a barrier to moisture. Structurally they use as little glass and resin to build their boats as is humanly possible. The thin layer of gelcoat they use will usually start to flake once the wood gets wet because there isn't enough resin on it. They use oddball gauges and in most cases also the electrical switches. The only upside if there is one is that you can get into them cheaper. As far as their larger boats, I really can't comment. We see mainly 20 something footers and under around here generally, yet their mentality probably rolls over into their larger models also...

ratso
08-19-2006, 07:08 PM
It is definitely a slick boat...

rerfert
08-19-2006, 07:59 PM
This one looks good...
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16758
Nice clean boat well cared for?
NADA is saying around $6800,
That would be a good price...Have you gotten a price from the owner yet??.
I'm guessing closer to $8600
The other boat you were looking at seemed to have a lot of issues for the price.
I had a boat for sale a few years ago and what gets me about some buyers is...After checking over the boat in the driveway for over an hour,don't have the owner make a special trip to the water if you are really not serious about spending the coin.
Hauling them out to the lake and cruzing around for over 30 min to get a Let me talk it over with the wife is not a good sign....Be a serious buyer if the boat is what you want.
Not to jack the thread.
I have a 1979 21 foot jet boat in the spam section F/S looking for a serious buyer.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123159

rerfert
08-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh I'm serious...and I'm not some jackhole that would make someone go to the trouble of taking the thing out on the lake only to "think about it" afterward. The only reason I wouldn't make the purchase at that point is if there was something obviously wrong with it or some other issue(s) needed addressing. Isn't that the point of a test ride???
Asch didn't mean to hit a nerve...Welcome to the board.
By all means get your moneys worth,and for anything over say $2500 Have the owner take you for a test drive.
The GUY I was refering to was all ready to write me a check (check book in hand) and wanted to have me take him and his family to the lake...I borrowed my fathers truck and took him to the lake.
I paid my $5 to launch the boat...The boat did great.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/jet_boat.jpg
We spent 30 minutes zipping around (him with a smile on his face and me answering all his questions) all to return to the dock (me thinking this is a done deal) and him coming up with Let me run it by my wife :rolleyes:
I sold the boat to a guy from Phoenix a week later with cash and he didn't even care that it ran at all...You never know sometimes.
Good luck in your search.

u4ea32
08-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Go ahead and buy a project if you just want to fool around mechanically. Boats are fun to take apart and rebuild, if you want that sort of hobby.
But if you want to go boating, then buy the most obviously perfect boat you can find.
You want to buy from someone like me, someone who is ANAL about the boat, someone who spends tons of money on the very best boat mechanics for the best work and the best parts when anything even looks a little off.
You NEVER want to buy a boat from someone who lets things slide.
Boats can be reliable, but its not likely.
Look very carefully, get something that WORKS for how you will USE the boat, then you'll like it.
Don't think that youare saving a thousand, or ten thousand, by buying a crummy boat. A perfect boat is the cheapest boat you can buy.

rerfert
08-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Absolutely!
I'm meeting someone today to lookover that green caribbean.
That boat looks good from where I am sitting...Keep us posted and good luck.

marty722
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
In perfect shape....... Call or email
carrera202xr@pacbell.net
11,000 1995 19ft Caribbean in perfect shape....... Lots of new parts and new paint on trailer.....

talbert450r
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
>>