PDA

View Full Version : Rhino questions?

Speedin' Ian
08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Just picked up one of the blue Rhinos and now it is time to modify! :) Luckily my brother is a fabricator so he is going to build our cage. I think all we are going to do is build a new cage with a backseat, a safari rack for the cooler, and a light bar. Can you guys post up pics of your rhinos so we can get some ideas? Also where do you get the back seat? If we do a simple stereo (cd player with 4 6.5's) do we need to add a battery, if so where should we mount it?

Outnumbered
08-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Just picked up one of the blue Rhinos and now it is time to modify! :) Luckily my brother is a fabricator so he is going to build our cage. I think all we are going to do is build a new cage with a backseat, a safari rack for the cooler, and a light bar. Can you guys post up pics of your rhinos so we can get some ideas? Also where do you get the back seat? If we do a simple stereo (cd player with 4 6.5's) do we need to add a battery, if so where should we mount it?
http://www.dragonfireracing.com/

77charger
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
i thought the cat and tunnel section is the rhino spot! :rollside:

SummerBreeze
08-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I work for White Brothers Racing and we just came out with an exhaust pipe The E-2 we also have roofs,skid plates,bed rails, bumper shields and alot more for the rino's

ultra27jay
08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
go with the big guns exhaust system. its the best. i just got it for mine and what a differance.

Speedin' Ian
08-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Does the Exhaust make it a lot loader? I don't want to piss anyone off cruising around at midnight? How about some pitures of your Rhinos

sigepmock
08-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Don't waste your money on the exhaust. Here are the things you should get in order.
1. CDI - Black Rhino or Dragon Fire - this gets rid of the speed limiter and gets you a little more power.
2. CVT filter - the clutch sucks in cooling air right behind the drivers seat. without a filter it can suck in sand and dirt and kill the belt in the clutch. This is cheap insurance and a must for sandy or dusty conditions.
3. Modified Primary clutch sheave from KMS or Hauck - This gives you a broader power range and more top end. Pretty easy install.
4. Air box adaptor and K&N or Uni filter with outerwear, then re-jet it. Don't forget the 42 pilot jet while you're in there. I used the Dyno-jet kit and the intake shown here:
http://www.rhinocrap.com/parts.htm
5. Exhaust mod and a billet end cap - There's a cheap and easy exhaust mod that requires grinding a weld inside the exhaust header. Takes about 30 minutes and this along with a billet exhaust cap will gain you about as much as an full exhaust for a lot less $$$.
At least that's my opinion.
Check out the pics in Cats and Tunnels, also check out
http://www.blackrhinoperformance.net/Forum/
Lots of great info there too. I'd recomend going iPod direct to a small amp and don't do a head unit. Dust and vibrations kill them quick. I went through two in the golf cart in 6 months. Run an ipod direct to the amp and you'll have no problems, no skipping, and they take up less room.
Welcome to the club. :)
Chris
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495batt2-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495Cage2-med.jpg

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 07:18 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/meterman/IMG_0423.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/meterman/IMG_0426.jpg

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1214806rhino_004-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1214806rhino_010-med.jpg
If your looking at long travel I have a set up just like what is on these 3 rhino's in my garage in new condition 2k off what we paid

havaduner
08-14-2006, 07:48 AM
02 Howard, a question, what cages are on those 2 four seat set ups, and how much headroom is in the back? I looked at a Rhino this weekend, and my duaghter's head was about an inch or less to the cross bar. Not good IMO.

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Those are pics I stole from BRP/forums, a guy on there built them the silver and camo one is sweet if you ask me. but to answer your ? I am unsure, I was just showing pics of cages for the thread. the green one is mine but it looks like this now...http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12148Trino_004-med.jpg :crossx: http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12148Trino_002-med.jpg

casean
08-14-2006, 08:02 AM
3. Modified Primary clutch sheave from KMS or Hauck - This gives you a broader power range and more top end. Pretty easy install.
Chris,
Any recommendations on where to go for this clutch sheave? Did you already install this on your Rhino? If so where did you notice this biggest gains? Thanks.

don johnson
08-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I work for White Brothers Racing and we just came out with an exhaust pipe The E-2 we also have roofs,skid plates,bed rails, bumper shields and alot more for the rino's
How loud is your exhaust? I have a big gun and it is freakin loud. Need to find an alternative... Was considering putting the stock muffler back on as there does not seem to be a performance exhaust system available that is "quiet".

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
The ALBA ex. is making big hp gains and is only 1db louder then stock, it is throaty not piercing loud.

sigepmock
08-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Chris,
Any recommendations on where to go for this clutch sheave? Did you already install this on your Rhino? If so where did you notice this biggest gains? Thanks.
Going to order three or four of them this week from KMS in AZ. Everybody I've talked to so far says it's the best bang for the buck next to the CDI. I think most are seeing better acceleration overall with a big gain in top speed. I was talking to the guy that runs the Mason Motorsports Race Rhino and he said he's toping 60 mph with the sheave, carb and exhaust on a stock motor :crossx: and that's with all the extra weight he's carrying.
Want me to add you to list when we order....I'm going to try and get a group discount. $195 for them to send you one with a $100 returned when he gets your stock core back. So for $95 I figure it's worth a shot.
Chris

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I was getting around 61 with mine I also have the KMS stageII kit on ot, it will be a bit slower with all the added weight of the race cage and all that but it is way faster on the top end,

havaduner
08-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for trying to answer, I'll check out their website.

Magic34
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
KMS is doing my motor next month.
Do not waste your money on exhaust. First, they are loud a hell. There are 3 Rhinos in my neighborhood including mine. I have a stock pipe, 1 has the dual dragonfire pipes, and the other has a big gun. The DF pipe is stupid lound. I can hear it 1/4 mile away. The big gun is just under those, but anytime one of those is running in the neighborhood, the eintire neighborhood can hear them inside the houses and we are in a big community with large lots (2/3 acre - 1 acre).
Save your money and put it into the motor with a 686 kit and cam and keep the stock exhaust. The power gains will be much more significant than the exhaust.
Also, stick with 25" tires. Anything over 25" tires robs power really bad. I raced the Rhino with the DF pipes and he has 26" tires. DF claims that the dual pipes adds 8 HP. I smoked the crap out of the other Rhino. Not even close. So whatever you do, stick with 25" tires, or any performance mods will start to become a waste of money.

Todd969
08-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Don't get pissy with this question.
Why exactly do you need to go 50mph in something that has a very probable rollover factor and a 75" wheelbase?
I felt that the 40mph was plenty fast on the street and when cruising around behind Darrell in the dirt I don't think we ever got above 25.

sigepmock
08-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Don't get pissy with this question.
Why exactly do you need to go 50mph in something that has a very probable rollover factor and a 75" wheelbase?
I felt that the 40mph was plenty fast on the street and when cruising around behind Darrell in the dirt I don't think we ever got above 25.
Just the kind of question you'd expect from a pontoon boat driver :D j/k
For those of us that dune our rhino's...you need all the power and wheel speed you can. For the street I agree 50 mph is moving in a Rhino, especially with stock offset wheels. One of the first mods I did was wheel spacers and wider wheels to help widen the Rhino out and get rid of some of the tip over factor. With the long travel now, it's not an issue and 40 mph doesn't feel fast at all and 55mph is very comfortable.
Safety should always be considered first, I forgot to put the four point harnesses on my list and they probably should be the first mod. The stock seat belt is a joke, especially in a roll-over situation.
Chris

Todd969
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Just the kind of question you'd expect from a pontoon boat driver :D j/k
Chris
That's a fair statement. I had the Nordic out last week just FYI.
I will not be going to the "dunes" since I have the Mojave in my backyard. Also I am not making it a 4 person deal. I was just curious why the need to go that fast was there. Racing I obviously understand, but from a recreational stand point I thought it had plenty of power.
Edit: I forgot that I am not going to long travel it or any other ridiculous mods. Just the needed stuff like legminders, seat covers and belts.

Magic34
08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Racing I obviously understand, but from a recreational stand point I thought it had plenty of power.
It's not the top speed, but how quick you can get to that 40 MPH mark. For the dunes, a stock one kind of hurts up the the bigger hills, but with the motor mods, the climb is much easier.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
It's not the top speed, but how quick you can get to that 40 MPH mark. For the dunes, a stock one kind of hurts up the the bigger hills, but with the motor mods, the climb is much easier.
agreed....
Also when in dirt or sand your top speed is a decent amount lower than running your tires at max PSI on asphalt.
In the sand I am usualy aired down to 5PSI and I think I was only able to see 42mph GPS on the semi hard packed road of the washes.(My Rhino is light and I run stock wheels/tires)
There has been a couple times trying to climb a big dune were more HP would have been nice!!!

Todd969
08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I hear ya on the PSI. Keep in mind I live in Havasu and need to drive a few miles on asphalt before hitting dirt. I had a little trouble on a dune by crazyhorse Friday, but managed to get out. I guess the solution would be carry a 12V air pump.

djunkie
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Whats a Rhino? :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Whats a Rhino? :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:
Well Mr. Crossbones, did you bit the bullett?

djunkie
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Well Mr. Crossbones, did you bit the bullett?
Gotta sell the golf cart first. I'm just a junior baller and need to sell something before I buy something new. :rollside:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Gotta sell the golf cart first. I'm just a junior baller and need to sell something before I buy something new. :rollside:
Good luck. We only put about 3hrs on ours this weekend, but that was enough for my wife to fall even more in love with it. Having had a nice cart and the Mule ( which we still have ) this is a completely different vehicle. The Mule is better for plain street driving since I put 195/60/14 Falkens on it, but in the dirt the Rhino is much more fun. Hope you get it sold soon.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
I hear ya on the PSI. Keep in mind I live in Havasu and need to drive a few miles on asphalt before hitting dirt. I had a little trouble on a dune by crazyhorse Friday, but managed to get out. I guess the solution would be carry a 12V air pump.
If I ran it on the street I would probably run 12-14 PSI in the frunt and 10-12 in the rear. Shouldn't have a problem on pavement but would be better in the sand for climbing hills.
I run mine in 4 High 80% of the time. Everyonce in a while I will run in 2wd if we are going through the washes and I feel like drifting it.
I have only used the locker and 4low twice while climbing some nasty stuff.
How do you like it compared to the Mule? (+/-)

djunkie
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
If I ran it on the street I would probably run 12-14 PSI in the frunt and 10-12 in the rear. Shouldn't have a problem on pavement but would be better in the sand for climbing hills.
I run mine in 4 High 80% of the time. Everyonce in a while I will run in 2wd if we are going through the washes and I feel like drifting it.
I have only used the locker and 4low twice while climbing some nasty stuff.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't have access to the photos from work, but the Mule is a street driven vehicle. It is a true 4 seater, pretty smooth riding and goverend at 25. I have manged to remove that and now see 35mph. It could use a softer shock as you feel the bumps. Overall I am very happy with it and driving it regularly on the asphalt.
The down side, can't take it to far off road. That's why we got the Rhino.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah blah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:
Quit jibber jabbering and sell your P.O.S. so you can buy your girl a ring!!!
Don't forget matching necklaces for the kiddies;) :idea:
We are sick of you acting all tough like your gonna get a Rhino and Shit :crossx: :p

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't have access to the photos from work, but the Mule is a street driven vehicle. It is a true 4 seater, pretty smooth riding and goverend at 25. I have manged to remove that and now see 35mph. It could use a softer shock as you feel the bumps. Overall I am very happy with it and driving it regularly on the asphalt.
The down side, can't take it to far off road. That's why we got the Rhino.
Nice...
Best of both worlds. A long time ago we used to cruise around Mules when they were first released by Kawi.(Friend was a supervisor and used to bring out all the new stuff when we camped in Blythe during the 80's)
Next time you see Darrell steal his cage and I will give you $10.00 for it;) :crossx:
P.S. don't steal his coors light thats when he gets pissed!!!! :p

djunkie
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Quit jibber jabbering and sell your P.O.S. so you can buy your girl a ring!!!
Don't forget matching necklaces for the kiddies;) :idea:
We are sick of you acting all tough like your gonna get a Rhino and Shit :crossx: :p
Look whos talking. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice...
Next time you see Darrell steal his cage and I will give you $10.00 for it;) :crossx:
It's welded,damn. Speaking of Darrell, the guy that did his is going to take our Mule soon and paint it something like our toon. Since our Nordic is white,blue and purple the Rhino is staying blue and getting a vinyl treatment in purple and white.

djunkie
08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
It's welded,damn. Speaking of Darrell, the guy that did his is going to take our Mule soon and paint it something like our toon. Since our Nordic is white,blue and purple the Rhino is staying blue and getting a vinyl treatment in purple and white.
Look at you getting all color coordinated and shit!!! :rollside: :rollside:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Look at you getting all color coordinated and shit!!! :rollside: :rollside:
That's what happens when you're married. Besides it was HER idea, not mine.

djunkie
08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
That's what happens when you're married. Besides it was HER idea, not mine.
Ya I know how that is. I showed my g/f a picture of the new silver one and she said "oh, that ones cute" Then I showed her the green and told her thats what I'm getting. She wasn't too happy about that.

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Trust me..... a 15 or 17mm socket would get the job done:D
All you have to do is drop a full can of beer and when he bends over to pick it up bonk him with the wrench!!! :crossx:
If that works use a sawzall and I will hook you up with $10.00
If he gives you the scary look after you bonk him drop another beer and RUN!!!! :p :cry:
Careful getting caught up in the bling competition!!!! :220v: :idea: :p

Cole Trickle
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Look whos talking. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:
The single guy with a Rhino and no sissy foofy dogs :crossx: :p :crossx: :p

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Ya I know how that is. I showed my g/f a picture of the new silver one and she said "oh, that ones cute" Then I showed her the green and told her thats what I'm getting. She wasn't too happy about that.
Exactly, my wife wanted the Ranger XP in candy red, why? because it was cute. Didn't care about anything else. I'm very lucky that I found the SE. She wouldn't have been happy even though the color could be changed. That's just another expense in her book, god forbid I ask why she has 500 purses.

Kilrtoy
08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Exactly, my wife wanted the Ranger XP in candy red, why? because it was cute. Didn't care about anything else. I'm very lucky that I found the SE. She wouldn't have been happy even though the color could be changed. That's just another expense in her book, god forbid I ask why she has 500 purses.
Oh mister I HATE RHINO'S
What next a catamaran with BIG HP :boxed: :idea:

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
All you have to do is drop a full can of beer and when he bends over to pick it up bonk him with the wrench!!! :crossx:
If he gives you the scary look after you bonk him drop another beer and RUN!!!! :p :cry:
Maybe Darrell should chime in here tonight. He got me good yesterday.
No Bling! Just like the limiter on the Mule, I have a checkbook limiter. She'll let me do the safety items and a few changes, but nothing overboard. That was the law passed this weekend.

Todd969
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh mister I HATE RHINO'S
What next a catamaran with BIG HP :boxed: :idea:
Stop it Softy! I don't hate them, just couldn't see dumping 20K in it.
No cats. That will not be an option.

djunkie
08-14-2006, 03:57 PM
The single guy with a Rhino and no sissy foofy dogs :crossx: :p :crossx: :p
Oh that hurts. :mad:

Carrera 26
08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/threaded_rhino_001a.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/threaded_rhino_004a.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/Threaded/2002.jpg
Trying to compete with tobtek
Killer like my new name
Thanks to socalfab.com almost done

02HoWaRd26
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Are you the T-shirt guy then for Thad if so he was telling me about your rhino, should be pretty disco sweet for sure...

Speedin' Ian
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
that rhino is sweet!! Can anyone post some close ups of the cage, I want to see where the cage mounts to the bed and how the rear seat mounts. Do you gouys have plenty of head room? How about speakers, where did you mount them? Thanks for the help guys, I'm really excited about this thing!

SummerBreeze
08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
For you info.
The White Brothers E-2 pipe is 96db with the sparky in. Thats 6db more than stock. 102db with the sparky out.
About a 5 to 6 HP gain.
Most dealers $399.00

Carrera 26
08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Are you the T-shirt guy then for Thad if so he was telling me about your rhino, should be pretty disco sweet for sure...
Yes

02HoWaRd26
08-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Then what I hear this rhino is going to be real sweet, but hurry with those shirt's I want mine with the girllie...

Cruzzze
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a Rhino question, I bought a top/light bar/stereo and it hangs over the top OEM bar a bit, but I wanna add the rear cage kit. How would I do that, here is the top pic?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3598f6_1-med.jpg

shadow
08-15-2006, 04:55 PM
lol,Just might work! :rollside: Try a bottle of Goose,better chance.

shadow
08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a Rhino question, I bought a top/light bar/stereo and it hangs over the top OEM bar a bit, but I wanna add the rear cage kit. How would I do that, here is the top pic?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3598f6_1-med.jpg
Can you post a link where you got the over head bars?

Todd969
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I like that roof. Where did you find it?

Cruzzze
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Found the roof on ebay, look under yamaha rhino lights. Also the bar link is www.fergfab.com