PDA

View Full Version : Any pool (billiard) guys out there?

Danhercules
08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
i got a new table, I got it in the house, it needs leveling. Anyone do this?

Danhercules
08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
grab some shims and a torpedo level ..... a monkey can do it ;) :cool:
The corners are fine. The middle has a low spot.

voodoomedman
08-14-2006, 09:19 PM
The corners are fine. The middle has a low spot.
Ummmm. I would call a local pool table place and have them send someone. It will probably cost a couple hundy though. You don't want to damage your table. Especially if it's a good one. After that middle slate is level then that might cause the wax and stuff to shift now causing a high spot or something. I could be wrong though. I just know I wouldn't want to screw up my Olhausen. Gameroom Gallery in Rancho is good and Pool Tables direct on Central south of the 10 is pretty good too.

Danhercules
08-14-2006, 09:27 PM
I will call a shop out of the yellow pages, but if someone here dose it, I would rather give the biz to a fellow boater.

HavasuSelect
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
You can melt candle wax in the low spot, then level it off. That's the advice I got when I built mine. The hard part is putting the felt on.

Jrocket
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
my bad, didn't know there was a "LOW-SPOT" in the middle :rolleyes: so technical, that pool game :rolleyes: :rollside:
So the guy dont want his balls piled up in the middle,cut him some slack. :rolleyes:

Jrocket
08-14-2006, 10:16 PM
yaaa, ballz in da middle no bueno, mine, they hang to da south ese' :skull:
Speakn of hanging on balls,I havent seen HH in here tonight!

RiverDave
08-15-2006, 04:03 PM
1st off melting Wax on a table is a bad idea.. Wax is soft and eventually will get small dents in it from the balls slightly hopping and landing on it etc..
Most everyone that does really nice installations runs Bondo (like the car bondo) or something somewhat similar that's designed for slate.
For something like this your definately going to need someone to come out and to it professionally. It shouldn't cost much more then a couple of hundred bucks. Make sure they have a machinist level.
The better the "table mechanic" the more it's going to cost.
Incidentally.. I hate olhausens (to the guy that has one above) LOL.. :D
Gold Crown IV or Diamond is the only way to go for a bitchen commercial grade table.
I've got a Murrey pro at home right now, but only becuase of financial reasons.. That focker is heading down the road in favor of a new diamond setup as soon as sales pick up consistently.
RD <--- been known to play once or twice

doesitfloat?
08-15-2006, 04:17 PM
1st off melting Wax on a table is a bad idea.. Wax is soft and eventually will get small dents in it from the balls slightly hopping and landing on it etc..
Most everyone that does really nice installations runs Bondo (like the car bondo) or something somewhat similar that's designed for slate.
Agreed on wax=bad.
I would avoid Bondo unless you know that the table is going to stay there for many years. Otherwise, if you ever disassemble and reassemble, you have to grind/sand all of the bondo off.
I recommend Vitex...a white powdered floor leveling product (I use it under vinyl floors) because it would be much easier to remove later.
BTW, my last table was a 1 piece slate...what a beetch to move.

voodoomedman
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
For something like this your definately going to need someone to come out and to it professionally. It shouldn't cost much more then a couple of hundred bucks. Make sure they have a machinist level.
The better the "table mechanic" the more it's going to cost.
Incidentally.. I hate olhausens (to the guy that has one above) LOL.. :D
Gold Crown IV or Diamond is the only way to go for a bitchen commercial grade table.
I've got a Murrey pro at home right now, but only becuase of financial reasons.. That focker is heading down the road in favor of a new diamond setup as soon as sales pick up consistently.
RD <--- been known to play once or twice
I know Brunswick is a good table too and the one your talking about is probably better than mine and I'm no pro either but aren't Olhausen's run in most of the tournaments. At least I don't have some cheap import.

RiverDave
08-16-2006, 09:08 AM
I know Brunswick is a good table too and the one your talking about is probably better than mine and I'm no pro either but aren't Olhausen's run in most of the tournaments. At least I don't have some cheap import.
It used to be about 50 / 50 on pro tournaments Brunswick and Olhausen. To be quite honest though it's not becuase how the tables play. It's which ever company decides to sponsor which ever tournament. Diamond has started getting into the game a little bit and seems to be taking up a 3rd slice of the pie on pro tournaments if you know what I mean. They are the new guys on the block, but have already established a reputation for one of the best playing tables made. That says alot being that there's alot of companies that have been around for 80 years that for some reason still haven't figured out how to make a "great" table.
Olhausen is located down here in San Diego, they have a GREAT factory tour if you ever want to see how pool tables are built.
I didn't want to mislead you in my post above.. Olhausen does build a very nice table. If you take care of it, arguably it should outlast you. I just don't like them becuase I think the rails play "funny." More or less though that's becuase I've played most my life on Gold Crowns at pool halls.
RD

voodoomedman
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
It used to be about 50 / 50 on pro tournaments Brunswick and Olhausen. To be quite honest though it's not becuase how the tables play. It's which ever company decides to sponsor which ever tournament. Diamond has started getting into the game a little bit and seems to be taking up a 3rd slice of the pie on pro tournaments if you know what I mean. They are the new guys on the block, but have already established a reputation for one of the best playing tables made. That says alot being that there's alot of companies that have been around for 80 years that for some reason still haven't figured out how to make a "great" table.
Olhausen is located down here in San Diego, they have a GREAT factory tour if you ever want to see how pool tables are built.
I didn't want to mislead you in my post above.. Olhausen does build a very nice table. If you take care of it, arguably it should outlast you. I just don't like them becuase I think the rails play "funny." More or less though that's becuase I've played most my life on Gold Crowns at pool halls.
RD
Gotcha. What do you think about Imperial. My in-laws bought one and it seems like a nice table but when I crawl underneath I can tell some differences in the structure. It was also notable that my Olhausen was built at the factory and then minor assembly at the house where the Imperial was in a thousand pieces and took hours to be assembled. Still plays real nice though but what do I know I'm an amateur.

RiverDave
08-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Gotcha. What do you think about Imperial. My in-laws bought one and it seems like a nice table but when I crawl underneath I can tell some differences in the structure. It was also notable that my Olhausen was built at the factory and then minor assembly at the house where the Imperial was in a thousand pieces and took hours to be assembled. Still plays real nice though but what do I know I'm an amateur.
There's a million different mfg's of home tables. I'm pretty sure girlfriends grandfather just bought one if I'm not mistaken. It has a large steel frame underneath the slates that I thought was kind of odd.. Overall they are cheaper tables that are mid grade. Their are certainly worse ones out there (I've seen some pretty cheezy pool tables.. LOL) but it's nothing comparable to an olhausen.
If you want to learn just about everything you've ever wanted to know about Pool.. then join www.azbilliards.com I lurk over there mostly, but post occasionally.
RD