PDA

View Full Version : Okay, how do I beat my speeding ticket?

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Okay all you law enforcement types......Kilrtoy's evil twin stopped me for 50 in a 40 yesterday. Clear day, dry pavement, 6:30 am, and only 2 cars present on a 4 lane road.
I know that they are ticket machines, and this guy was not going to listen to anything but what he wanted to say, so how do I beat this ticket? I have had a ticket in the past (15 years ago), and tried the basic speed law scenario, only to have the judge say..."GUILTY!" I have heard people say research the "engineered speed" of that section of road, blah, blah, blah, but what is an actual plausible argument I can bring up to the judge that will at least give me a fighting chance of winning?

Stoneman
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Okay all you law enforcement types......Kilrtoy's evil twin stopped me for 50 in a 40 yesterday. Clear day, dry pavement, 6:30 am, and only 2 cars present on a 4 lane road.
I know that they are ticket machines, and this guy was not going to listen to anything but what he wanted to say, so how do I beat this ticket? I have had a ticket in the past (15 years ago), and tried the basic speed law scenario, only to have the judge say..."GUILTY!" I have heard people say research the "engineered speed" of that section of road, blah, blah, blah, but what is an actual plausible argument I can bring up to the judge that will at least give me a fighting chance of winning?
Only chance is go to court and hope the officer does not show.

totenhosen
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, where you going 50 in a 40? If so pay the fine and take traffic school. Think of it as a user fee for all the other times you broke a traffic law and didn't get caught.

YeLLowBoaT
01-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Its ez....
step 1
Get out your wallet
step 2
open said wallet
step 3
pay the fine
step 4
pray fro taffic school so that your ins does not go up...

totenhosen
01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
To add to my other post if you want try this guy or do a trial by declaration.
http://www.ticketassassin.com

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
?
That aint my bro, im the evil one, he would be the nice one.....

NOTALENT
01-12-2006, 10:19 AM
you can try a TRIAL DE NOVIO....Look it up...worked for me once.

RiverDave
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I like Justin's idea.. Go down the road again speeding. Wait for Mr. Chippy to get right on your ass like they always do. Slam on breaks becuase Lassie ran out in front of you.. At which point he probably won't be showing to your original court date becuase he'll be getting out of the body cast a few weeks after that.
RD

LHC30Victory
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
That aint my bro, im the evil one, he would be the nice one.....
Would that be Dan? :argue:

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Would that be Dan? :argue:
Ok you are now in lock down, that was way below the belt MISTER......
by the way it is a beautiful day here to ride......
how is that desk doing, a/c or heat working....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that if you challenge a ticket and lose you forfeit your option to go to traffic school?

Hardly Satisfied
01-12-2006, 10:39 AM
go to court and pleed not guilty on your next court date if the cop show's up pleed guilty and if he doesn't your go to go

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
go to court and pleed not guilty on your next court date if the cop show's up pleed guilty and if he doesn't your go to go
Now that right there is great advice.........

3boatsdown
01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
It's the Traffic Commissioners' discretion to allow traffic school at the end of a trial. Here in Riv. County, they almost NEVER allow it if you lose your trial. That's why he/she allows the opportunity to take traffic school PRIOR to the trial beginning (helps cut down on wasting the courts' time with bogus defenses...I.E. "my pet rabbitt stepped on the gas pedal and made me go fast, your honor")

ROZ
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Cheapskates shouldn't speed ...... I drive 34 in a 35 :D

Her454
01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Why try to beat it if you are guilty? :rolleyes:
Go to court and if the cop doesn't show its your lucky day. Otherwise, pay up sucka and ask for traffic school.
Forensic
Its harsh attitudes like that made me think twice about asking if any of the HB LE can help me get out of trouble for robbing that bank to pay back the rent I owe Topless.

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Its harsh attitudes like that made me think twice about asking if any of the HB LE can help me get out of trouble for robbing that bank to pay back the rent I owe Topless.
We could have worked something out in trade...... :idea: :idea:

Her454
01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
We could have worked something out in trade...... :idea: :idea:
Just my luck I never meet cops like you on my commute LOL..... :rollside:

superdave013
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
some speeding tickets are like a sore peter. ya just can't beat 'em ;)

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I see the majority of us are in fine form today!
My post was actually to ask a question, and get a somewhat intelligent response. I was asking because my last speeding ticket was 15 years ago, and I went the basic speed law route only to find the judge just wasn't even going to listen. I just wanted to know if there was any other info that I could use in my defense, because I know that if any of you "just go pay it" types were to be lucky enough to beat your ticket, you'd be all over the forums touting your abilities to get over on the man!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
My post was actually to ask a question, and get a somewhat intelligent response. I was asking because my last speeding ticket was 15 years ago, and I went the basic speed law route only to find the judge just wasn't even going to listen. I just wanted to know if there was any other info that I could use in my defense, because I know that if any of you "just go pay it" types were to be lucky enough to beat your ticket, you'd be all over the forums touting your abilities to get over on the man!
But why? If you were breaking the law and got caught, isn't the right thing to do accept responsibility for your actions as opposed to trying to figure out a way around it? I mean, we all speed, except for Roz driving like a Havasu blue hair, and as a result we will all be caught at some point, right? The rule of averages.........

ROZ
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Alan, the problem is that the commisioner you're going infront of sees things in black and white... He gives no leway.. You'll likely have your fine reduced , pay the court for traffic school, and pay traffic school for the class... If it's not going to change your rates, I'd just pay the fine and use traffic school the 85 in a 65 that may be in your future :D

Ziggy
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Its probably been 20+ years for me too but I attended a Traffic school where the officer told us that there was a way to legally drive faster than the posted limit.
He called it "Safe Speed" somethingorother. In essence he said, if your vehicle is in perfect condition, good tires, wide road, no traffic, clear skies, no visual impairments, no cross streets, etc. that it could be considered the road you were traveling on may be driven at 50 safely. It may fall along the lines of the "engineered" idea.
Now like I said, this was many years ago so this loop may have been closed up in the mean time.
Me, I'd pay the fine or go to the school......The other way sounds like you have a lot of burden to prove.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Me, I'd pay the fine or go to the school......
CA now requires you pay the fine even if you go to traffic school. Was changed a few years ago due to budget shortfalls I believe.

Her454
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
My post was actually to ask a question, and get a somewhat intelligent response.
Shame on you, that was your second mistake.

Ziggy
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
CA now requires you pay the fine even if you go to traffic school. Was changed a few years ago due to budget shortfalls I believe.
Man, I need to go out and get me a ticket so I can get back into the times..LOL :p :p

Havasu_Dreamin
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Man, I need to go out and get me a ticket so I can get back into the times..LOL :p :p
Yeah, not really. I found out the hard way when I got my ticket three years ago.

TRG
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Show up late and dont sign in on the late sheet. go in and sit down. You will be the last person in the room exept for the judge. You will be threatened with a bench warrent. You will be given a new date. Show up late again but sign in this time, go sit. The officer is usually gone by now, forgoten about it, or never got your new date. Your free to go. This was a few years ago and has worked twice. Not ballzy enough to try it anymore!

YeLLowBoaT
01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Bottom line. Its your word vs the cops...your only real hope of wining is if he does not show up or there was a mistake made in "paper work".
I personally dislike ppl that don't take responsibility for thier actions. In this case speeding.

totenhosen
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Bottom line. Its your word vs the cops...your only real hope of wining is if he does not show up or there was a mistake made in "paper work".
I personally dislike ppl that don't take responsibility for thier actions. In this case speeding.
Mistake in paperwork is no longer grounds to have a traffic ticket thrown out of court.

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Good thing opinions are like a**holes!

IMPATIENT 1
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
i'm not sure about cali,but in most states, officers are required to be "certified" on a radar or laser gun. i've got a prepaid legal service that handles these types of things and i was told by them to ask for a radar gun recalibration log for the specific gun that gets me. then ask for a certificate showing the officer training with that particular gun.he says(my lawyer)that he beats every ticket case this way.just i thought, might check into it.

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 01:45 PM
i'm not sure about cali,but in most states, officers are required to be "certified" on a radar or laser gun. i've got a prepaid legal service that handles these types of things and i was told by them to ask for a radar gun recalibration log for the specific gun that gets me. then ask for a certificate showing the officer training with that particular gun.he says(my lawyer)that he beats every ticket case this way.just i thought, might check into it.
You are joking right, that is the typical stall tactic used and it NEVER WORKS......
I call BS on that

riverbound
01-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a buddy that is a motor cop. and to get around this he actually carries a tuning fork on him. every morning he checks his gun per the fork. I dont remember the exact thing (he showed me once) but I remember him hittin the fork and then pointing the gun at it and it picked up the speed. if it shows XXmph (dont remember the actual #) it is picking it up correctly.He does this every morning.
I say good luck....pay the fine and move on......you were speeding and you got caught. How many times have u sped and not gottten ticketed, you got caught this time.

Roxysnow
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I heard that works sometimes but then again. It may piss the policeman off and now he'll definitely show. Doesn't a policeman get a full or half day pay for going to court? EASY MONEY for the policeman!

NautiII
01-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, for starters, most agencies, including MINE, will discipline you if you do not show up for court! and, yes, the court can fine the officers as well for not showing up. Officers are also radar certified, and most always have to show proof of the radar itself being certified, as well as the officers proof of radar certification, or laser, which ever it may be. anyway, do not rely on the officer not showing up. most enjoy the overtime if court is on a day off!!! also, just pay the fine, agree to traffic school, if available, and DONT SPEED!!!! lol Good luck!

IMPATIENT 1
01-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, for starters, most agencies, including MINE, will discipline you if you do not show up for court! and, yes, the court can fine the officers as well for not showing up. Officers are also radar certified, and most always have to show proof of the radar itself being certified, as well as the officers proof of radar certification, or laser, which ever it may be. anyway, do not rely on the officer not showing up. most enjoy the overtime if court is on a day off!!! also, just pay the fine, agree to traffic school, if available, and DONT SPEED!!!! lol Good luck!
so is prepaid full of shit? does the officer have to be certified and the gun tested on a regular basis?i don't get tickets, gettin somewhere a couple of minutes sooner isn't worth the tickets and insurance costs. :idea:

fourspeednup
01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Whatever you choose....if you have to pay, go with cheap easy fast (http://www.cheapeasyfast.com/) traffic school. I was done in 20 min :)

ACCEPTENCE
01-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Here is what I would do. File for an extension. Do it again if they will let you. Either way, when they stop giving extensions plead not guilty. Hopefully the officer will not show up on the day of your court appearance.
If he does, your gonna have to pay. Listen to what his testimoney is and then offer to change your plea and ask for driving school.
Forensic
This is about the best chance you got!
Or just make the payment and be done with it.

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Good thing opinions are like a**holes!
That's right! You got everyone's opinion, now pay up azzhole!

IMPATIENT 1
01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
You are joking right, that is the typical stall tactic used and it NEVER WORKS......
I call BS on that
not joking! as riverbound posted,alot of cops carry the forks with them to fight off this type of lawyer tactic. my best friends roommate is a full time cop and he said people get outta tickets around here that way.remember i live in a county with a population of @10k people and most are to poor to fight the "man". our local police dept. are not use to havin to defend their traffic stops,so the "cop ain't certified"tactic works here.

Ziggy
01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I call BS on that
What's your comment on the Safe Speed Rule I mentioned Miguel? Is there any truth to that? Seems the burden of proof would be hard to accomplish without spending plenty of $ for legit "expert" evaluations of the many factors.

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Here's what I see. You get a ticket for 10mph over. Chances are, you were doing 10 over. Otherwise, you would have cried that the ticket was wrong. So you got a ticket, made a post, read the responses, haven't contributed chit other than your worthless remark, and you still want more options. Pay it and be done with it, or take a few hours off to go to court, then go to traffic school.

PHOTOGLOU
01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that if you challenge a ticket and lose you forfeit your option to go to traffic school?
Normally yes but if you ask in advance it can be granted....

PHOTOGLOU
01-12-2006, 02:39 PM
If you can prove your vehicle is safe at that speed then you CAN drive a safe speed (UP TO 55 MPH)..... Where there any schools in the neighborhhod??? Where there any intersections???? How many lanes???? Ask for a traffic survey report.... If there is no traffic survey report on file or is older than 5 years THEY CAN NOT ISSUE A TICKET..... You can beat this easily if the conditions are right.....

Chubby4Life
01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
The last ticket I tried to fight was 9/05. When I went to trial the Officer ran down the list of his training, Radar cert. calibration dates, ect. He then reads from his notes about the stop in question, including any remarks or state ments that you may have made (as every officer before him had.) I had the oppurtunity give a statement and to cross examine the officer. In my case, the officer noted every explentitive and word I said, and all I could do was put my head down on the table and say GUILTY! Any way, all I can say is prepare yourself and write down as many details about the stop as you can remember....You know the officer did.

Ziggy
01-12-2006, 02:59 PM
If you can prove your vehicle is safe at that speed then you CAN drive a safe speed (UP TO 55 MPH)..... Where there any schools in the neighborhhod??? Where there any intersections???? How many lanes???? Ask for a traffic survey report.... If there is no traffic survey report on file or is older than 5 years THEY CAN NOT ISSUE A TICKET..... You can beat this easily if the conditions are right.....
This is the Safe Speed Rule I am talking about........

PHX ATC
01-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Quit driving, give up your license, and never show up to court.
What are they going to do? Take away your driver's license?
Hire a driver, ya got a flock of em, don't ya? :)
I would pay the ticket and go on with my life...it's just a cost of commuting, kinda like gas.

HighRoller
01-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I say you hire the biggest, nastiest law firm in town and sue the police department and issuing officer. After all, if you really didn't deserve the ticket they must have violated your rights in some way, right? If you're going to put your lack of character and integrity on display you might as well do it like a "big baller" and get rich!!

NautiII
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
BULLL!!! This is not correct information. If you want to get laughed at in court, try this advice!
as far as the tuning forks go, yes, the officer has to check the unit before each shift, to make sure it is in working order. I test mine before and after every shift! make it easy on yourself, plead no-contest (means not admitting guilt, just going along with the ticket) go to drivers school, and chalk it up to experience. or you can try your luck at an inexperienced officer fumbling in court. but dont count on it!

HM
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I just beat my last ticket. 60 in a 45, and the cop showed. I actually did speed, and admitted to it. I had a real reasonable reason that Kilrtoy said wouldn't fly. I went for it - and the COP actually admitted he shouldn't have ticketed me as he admitted he didn't know where I entered the road and agreed with the issues of the road and where I entered. That is the only ticket I have won where the cop showed up for court.

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Here's what I see. You get a ticket for 10mph over. Chances are, you were doing 10 over. Otherwise, you would have cried that the ticket was wrong. So you got a ticket, made a post, read the responses, haven't contributed chit other than your worthless remark, and you still want more options. Pay it and be done with it, or take a few hours off to go to court, then go to traffic school.
Thanks for your opinion....just like an azzhole! Now go back to your regularly scheduled toilet training, and keep your worthless remarks to yourself...or is it chit? In any event, your comment wasn't what I was looking for, so go spend your time insulting others in the other threads.
If you would have paid any attention to my very first post, you will notice that I asked the Law Enforcement types that frequent here to give me a bit of advice....your cheap b.s. can be read in any gas station urinal stall, or other drama laden HB threads!

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Ok stupid. Lets try this again. Were you doing 50 mph? Lets take this one question at a time so we don't confuse you.

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Ok stupid. Lets try this again. Were you doing 50 mph? Lets take this one question at a time so we don't confuse you.
To quote you, "Okay stupid" are you in law enforcement, or are you here to cause sh*t? Your opinion doesn't matter unless you have something worthwhile to bring to the table.....so far it is only affirming your own existence.
Miguel....thanks for the pm<--------a member of Law Enforcement!

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
And another thing, you fu(king moron. You posted this up in "The Sandbar" on a BOATING website. You had 3 options at the point before you hit "Enter".
#1 Send PM's to all of those in Law Enforcement that are here on the boards.
By doing that, you keep it out of public view.
#2 Post this on a Law Enforcement website.
#3 Post it up on Hot Boat for all to read. That way you'll get responses from everyone with an opinion. Including mine jizz bag.
Sorry if you don't like reality, but thats the way it is stupid.

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm asking you a question dummy. Were you doing 50mph? It really is a simple question. Come on now.

famaffair
01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, you have to plead guilty and pay the fine to go to traffic school. However, it does not go on your record and no points. If you try to fight it and lose, you can not then request traffic school.

Tremor Therapy
01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
And another thing, you fu(king moron. You posted this up in "The Sandbar" on a BOATING website. You had 3 options at the point before you hit "Enter".
#1 Send PM's to all of those in Law Enforcement that are here on the boards.
By doing that, you keep it out of public view.
#2 Post this on a Law Enforcement website.
#3 Post it up on Hot Boat for all to read. That way you'll get responses from everyone with an opinion. Including mine jizz bag.
Sorry if you don't like reality, but thats the way it is stupid.
I have always found it semi-humorous when someone else gets in a multi-facetted discussion with the handicapped.....I just never thought I would. See the first post to answer the question you have asked a couple of times. So let us answer your other questions so we can put this thread to sleep.
#1) I would have pm'd all of the LE types if I knew who they were. I didn't know who they all were, but I did know that many frequent here. So I put in a public forum, actually expressing in my first post that I was asking the question to LE.
Unfortunate, because I end up having to deal with delusional sociopaths like you.
#2) I did ask around the office where I work if someone knew of a LE website. No one did, so see explanation clearly defined in statement #1.
#3) Please see the explanation clearly defined in #1 jizz bag.
And to your comments, you had 3 choices....don't read it "stupid," don't respond to it "stupid," and don't show your true colors "stupid." I asked a question, and you began a flaming ordeal. I'm done, you can continue your rant if you choose.

Caribbean Jet
01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, where you going 50 in a 40? If so pay the fine and take traffic school. Think of it as a user fee for all the other times you broke a traffic law and didn't get caught.
I agree, just do the traffic school thing. I think if you go to court and lose, you can not go to traffic school for that ticket and you have to pay the court costs...

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Unfortunate, because I end up having to deal with delusional sociopaths like you.
YES!!!!
You know you got under somebodys skin when they call you a delusional sociopath. Bwaaahaaaahaaaaa

Hal
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
This the way to go. Its called the Prima Facia speed law. Some CHP guys on here should beable to help you out on this. If it is safe to do you can drive up to 55 mph in CA. Except maybe in school zones and such. It worked for me.

gqchris
01-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I DONT Know if this is 100% true, but a friend last week pulled the delay trial deal hoping that the cop would not show. Well the day finally came, and the cop did not show, he said that the judge rescheduled the date and that the "officer is not here" excuse does not fly anymore, they just re-schedule ya!
:mad:

Old Texan
01-12-2006, 05:56 PM
YES!!!!
You know you got under somebodys skin when they call you a delusional sociopath. Bwaaahaaaahaaaaa
Small victory, for a small mind. :argue:

77charger
01-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Why try to beat it if you are guilty? :rolleyes:
Go to court and if the cop doesn't show its your lucky day. Otherwise, pay up sucka and ask for traffic school.
Forensic
pretty true on that.

PHX ATC
01-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey TT, you speed on the way home? :220v: :rollside:

HighRoller
01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
He's not interested in any options that will end up in him accepting the consequences of his actions so let's all just shut up. Even my 12 yr old niece has the maturity to realize that if she breaks a rule she gets in trouble, but I guess he hasn't quite reached that level yet.... :D :sqeyes:

SurfOnH20
01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Tremor,
I hope to give a straight answer.. 50mph in a 40mph zone is not an unreasonable speed at that time in the morning. I would never write someone up for this speed. Then again I wasn’t there and maybe there is something else your not mentioning. There are more worthy tickets to be written. Now if A CHP officer wrote you up then it makes sense why you got it. Since they are "primary" traffic officers big on stats, you will get no break from them. Did you give the officer attitude during the contact ? Go to court and fight it. I have seen many citizens win tickets of this nature (reasonableness). Just convey to the judge the traffic conditions, etc, and why you think your speed was not unsafe/unreasonable for the existing traffic conditions. Also, get a traffic survey of the area and see what the average speed is on this roadway. Hope this answers your question...
Pat

Wet Dream
01-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Small victory, for a small mind. :argue:
Easy there Thunder. You don't know me, therefore pass no judgement.

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I just beat my last ticket. 60 in a 45, and the cop showed. I actually did speed, and admitted to it. I had a real reasonable reason that Kilrtoy said wouldn't fly. I went for it - and the COP actually admitted he shouldn't have ticketed me as he admitted he didn't know where I entered the road and agreed with the issues of the road and where I entered. That is the only ticket I have won where the cop showed up for court.
WHAT...Clarify this alittle more, that is way to vague

Old Texan
01-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Easy there Thunder. You don't know me, therefore pass no judgement.
You called me an idiot a while back. Just returning the favor. Think before you speak. :cool:

duffster
01-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Alan,
What the hell you should have been doing 80 in a 40. Now your going to pay $300 for going 10mi over if your going to do make it worth it. Get a good radar detector I know for a fact that they work very well on those jackass's in Vista.
As for fighting the ticket go to court and pray that the cop does not show if he dose just lie your
ass off be a good actor that's what it's all about. Craig

HM
01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
WHAT...Clarify this alittle more, that is way to vague
Remember that ticket I talked about where I pulled out on to a road that had limited visability and had a major speed (not drugs...well, actually that too) problem and the Cops are doing a crack down on speeding. I pulled out and saw a couple cars crest the hill and I floored it so I would not get rear ended or atleast not majorly tail gated. I hit 60 and the cars had just caught me, but it was a safe distance, and blamo...I got radared at that point. Speed limit was 45. I never saw the motorcycle Cop. I slowed down to about 50 after that point and shortly after the red lights came a flashing. I did speed, but was the safer thing to do as I never looked at my actual speed, I was paying attention to the cars coming up on me - plus, I have a pet peeve of people that pull out into traffic that don't know how to speed up....so I like to make an effort to not affect traffic adversly when I merge.
You thought it was a good story, but didn't think it would fly since the dangerous situation I was avoiding never happened. The cop didn't know where I entered the road, and once I told him where I did and that my office is right there, he even understood. The police station is right next to my office, so they are very familiar with the issues of entering the road right there. Had he known I entered the road right there, he would have not ticketed me. He saw the oncoming cars at a distance and was getting readings of 65+ on his radar, but couldn't pin point it to one car, then I came up the next rise...IN FRONT...at 60. The fact that he also had higher speeds documented of the cars I was trying to merge with reinforced that I did the safest merge.
Tremor Therapy:
- a ticket for 10 MPH over the limit in an area that was safe and light on traffic is really b.s. Since most people know you can usually go about 10 MPH over the speed without being sited, I bet the average speed on that road is 10 MPH or higher - and if you can find a study on the road showing that, that is another way to get out of the ticket.
F all these holier than thou people. It is your right to fight it. It is not like some of the other threads where people want to get out of a ticket by lying. You think it is B.S. and so do I. Kilrtoy knows there are some/many cops out there that are just dicks and don't give a crap. He probably wouldn't have ticketed you unless he thought you were truly unsafe. F the other people saying take your lumps as you probably deserved a ticket many times but didn't get caught - I still don't get that reasoning - but then again, I am Catholic and I get to hit the reset button once a week on my conscience. :D

caribbean20
01-13-2006, 11:32 AM
. . . but it takes time and effort. A few times in life, you just have to disregard the whole cost/benefit equation and do certain things as a matter of principal, as fighting a speeding ticket most certainly is, especially with the option of the traffic school "get out of jail free card" (not considering the fine/fees). Here is my experience, I am not a LE person nor an attorney, but I am 5 for 5 in beating traffic violations (albeit in Denver, CO about 13 years ago, but I think the rules of civil procedure have not changed much/any and are similar out here in SoCal).
1. A simple internet search using "fighting speeding tickets" will reveal numerous resources. That is a good place to start. When I had my run of bad luck (i.e., getting the tickets in the first place), I relied on a book called "Beating the Radar Rap." Looks like the book is still available. The information in this book was invaluable.
2. After you got the ticket, did you make any incriminating statements (e.g., yes I know I was speeding, but . . . )? If you opened your pie whole and incriminated yourself, you are pretty much screwed, but more on that later. Rule #1, unless you feel comfortable with your chances of persuading John Law to not issue the ticket at all, do not make any incriminating statements. The cop will record them and they will be used as evidence against you in court, should you choose to contest the alleged violation.
3. If you choose to contest, here is the sequence of events, as best as I can recall:
i) You have the option of pleading guilty and paying, or show up for court. If you decide to contest, the first event is an "arraignment." You show up at the court house, wait in line and see a prosecuting attorney (DA). The DA will review the charge against you, and just because you took the time to show up and did not roll over immediately, he may offer you a plea "bargain" for a lesser fine and/or lower points. But YOU actually have a back bone, not like some of the other sacrificial lambs posting “just pay up sucka” and decide to contest, so your only response is "Not Guilty."
ii) At this point, you can commence the "discovery" phase of the process. You have the same right to avail yourself of all of the information as does the DA possess. This means you should get a copy of the ticket that the cop filed with the court, and especially, you should review all information that the cop wrote about the alleged violation on the back of the ticket. Here you can see if the cop recorded any incriminating statements alleged to have been made by you. Again, if you made an incriminating statement at the time of the ticket, and the cop recorded it, probably time to cut bait.
iii) Preparation for court. What instrument did the cop use, radar, lidar, pacing, etc? This will dictate your line of defense and the book has whole chapters on preparing your defense. For example, if radar, was the cop qualified to use the gun? did he have training? was his training up to date? was the gun calibrated using a tuning fork? did the cop have evidence of the tuning? when was the gun last serviced? how many degrees of spread pattern does the gun have? could other vehicles have been in the pattern, etc. etc? If you want to get this information, you have the right using a Subpoena duces tecum (sp?). You can compel the LE agency or DA to produce this information if it is relevant to your case. Remember, Not Guilty until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If you really want to muck up the works, file a motion for continuance which can delay the originally scheduled trial date, further enhancing the probability that the cop will not show. (this worked for me once when the judge did not take note of the continuance and dismissed the case due to lack of a speedy trial. Cop was there and everything. Got lucky on that one, but I was looking forward to putting that cop on the stand).
iv) Prepare your list of questions and show up for your day in court. My experience is that if you are polite, actually spend the time to understand the basic rules of civil procedure in court (in the book) and ask reasonable questions, the judge will be very reasonable, even if you are representing yourself without an attorney (referred to as “pro se”). Just the fact that you have prepared and are willing to go to war will be a complete surprise to most DAs and cops that have to take the stand and face a well-reasoned set of questions challenging the almighty radar gun.
From here on out it depends on the strength of the government’s case and your time and effort to prepare. The simple fact is that by going through some or all of these steps will require the state to actually do their job and there are opportunities for you to win at any step along the way. In my actual experience, by using these steps, 4 times out of 5 the cop did not show, and on the only time the cop did show, the judge dismissed the case because of lack of speedy trial (my request for continuance).
I respect the job that LE and the DA have to do, I just want to make sure they have to cover all of the bases to keep their little revenue machine working. Remember, these people work for us, not the other way around. And besides, I have a real problem with some cop skulking behind some barrier, out of view, pointing his little radar gun at me, especially in a circumstance that is pure revenue generation.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Doug

Wet Dream
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
You called me an idiot a while back. Just returning the favor. Think before you speak. :cool:
Perhaps it was justified, but if you can find it, I would like to see it.

Old Texan
01-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Perhaps it was justified, but if you can find it, I would like to see it.
It was during a thread prior to the holidays and I ain't got time to dig. I didn't consider it justified and even if I did you broke your own "don't know me rule".
Turn about is fair play.

Tremor Therapy
03-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Okay, I got a lot of crap from a lot of you over this issue, so let me fill you in on what happened.
I asked the city to send me a copy of the last monitored speed readings from the area, and I got a copy. I also took pictures on 3 different days at different times to show the typical traffic that I experience on that particular stretch of road. It also helped that in one of the pictures the speed limit sign was obscured by a tree.
So when I went to court I got to present my case, and cross examine the officer. To make a long story short, because of my argument, and because I had not gotten a ticket in 22 years in this speed trap town, the judge suspended my ticket.
So to all of you drama queens that needed your daily fix when I posted this originally, I'm sorry......f*ck off! :rollside: :rollside: :cool:

ThongMagnet
03-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I went to court for a ticket, to see if the officer showed up, he did. I waited my turn. I had the officer plea his case. When he was finished, and my turn to counter, I told the judge I would like to change my plea to guilty, and asked for traffic school, and paid the fine.
The best part of it, My employer gave me a personal day off with pay for the court date, and the traffic school. I was out of court by 9:30am, and had the boat in the water by 11:30am. I took traffic school on a friday, and was out by 3pm, and heading to the lake for the weekend
A friend of mine changed court dates 6 times in 5 days after showing up for his first court date on time. Moving the dates forward and backwards, when he showed up on time the officer didn't, he got off. Confuse the system.
But the best way to get out of a ticket is to be become an officer. They have there own ways to deal with one of there own.

Ultracrazy
03-30-2006, 09:11 AM
I went to court for a ticket, to see if the officer showed up, he did. I waited my turn. I had the officer plea his case. When he was finished, and my turn to counter, I told the judge I would like to change my plea to guilty, and asked for traffic school, and paid the fine.
The best part of it, My employer gave me a personal day off with pay for the court date, and the traffic school. I was out of court by 9:30am, and had the boat in the water by 11:30am. I took traffic school on a friday, and was out by 3pm, and heading to the lake for the weekend
A friend of mine changed court dates 6 times in 5 days after showing up for his first court date on time. Moving the dates forward and backwards, when he showed up on time the officer didn't, he got off. Confuse the system.
But the best way to get out of a ticket is to be become an officer. They have there own ways to deal with one of there own.
Or......better yet.......don't speed

PHX ATC
03-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Damn TT, you stirring the pot today, ain't cha? :220v: :rollside: