PDA

View Full Version : Which is faster?

bkplesh
08-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I got into a long debate with a friend over what makes a boat go faster through the water a waxed bottom or a scuffed bottom? I have always believed and faithfully waxed the bottom of my boat. He is insisting that if I left it alone I would go faster. Though his demonstration involves a spoon dipped into the top of a glass of water showing how the water grabs the spoon as you pull it away. He says if the spoon were scuffed it would not do this. I feel that this doesn't apply to the movement of a boat across the water. My thinking is you would want to be a smooth as possible. So wax or no wax? :argue: :220v: :rollside:

Tom Brown
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
No wax and scuffed to 600 grit.
You want turbulence. Turbulence causes tiny air pockets that provide less resistance to motion than water in contact with the hull.
... so I'd just leave it.

Kilrtoy
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I beleive boating life debunked 10 myths and this was one of them...
having a waxed bottom does nothing for you, according to the mag

H20Advantage
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
This month's Powerboat also has an article on this. Wax on = Speed off. :cool:

Marty Gras
08-15-2006, 08:13 PM
A slightly roughed up bottom (in line of travel) will reduce drag. The dark grey "lubriplate" coating is not only a graphite coating, but it creates a rough surface for the water to "tumble" over. The hull is going 100MPH, the next 1/1000" (boundary layer) is going (aprox) 95MPH. the next 1/1000" is going 89MPH, and so on.... Waxing the hull bottom, makes the water "stick", like the "surface tension" that holds water just above the top of a glass. Water (salt or fresh) follows a 'slightly curved surface', and "breaks off" of a 'sharp edge', that's why hull blueprinting makes a large speed difference. Wax your hull for beauty and not for speed.

moneypit
08-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Thats it. No more astro glide for me. :p

Tom Brown
08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
...that's why hull blueprinting makes a large speed difference.
You had me until this.

Phat Daddy
08-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I got into a long debate with a friend over what makes a boat go faster through the water a waxed bottom or a scuffed bottom? I have always believed and faithfully waxed the bottom of my boat. He is insisting that if I left it alone I would go faster. Though his demonstration involves a spoon dipped into the top of a glass of water showing how the water grabs the spoon as you pull it away. He says if the spoon were scuffed it would not do this. I feel that this doesn't apply to the movement of a boat across the water. My thinking is you would want to be a smooth as possible. So wax or no wax? :argue: :220v: :rollside:
Good thing you didn't put money on it because your friend is right. :rollside:

Danhercules
08-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Do a search in Just Jets for "dimples" :p LMFAO

BajaMike
08-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I've heard the same thing about people who polish thier props......I think Powerboat mag said it's best not to polish your props....it slows you down....less "traction".... :idea:

spectras only
08-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Sharks have been around for a long time . If a smooth surface glides through water faster , they [ sharks ] would have gotten their skin getting smoother through evolution :) .
Drill a zillion tiny holes on the running surface of the bottom of your boat and force compressed air through it to break up surface tension .See what happens :idea:

Marty Gras
08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
"Tom Brown" when did I have you? Sorry to say, I don't remember the encounter. All factors considered, hook, rocker, cracks, "blueprinting" by an experienced shop (not your know nothing butt buddy in Havasu) will really make a big difference. Did I use a condom with you? Love ya anyway! signed; Magic Johnson

SHOTKALLIN
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I've heard the same thing about people who polish thier props......I think Powerboat mag said it's best not to polish your props....it slows you down....less "traction".... :idea:
how many MPH difference are we talking about....wax vs. unwaxed???

No Name
08-15-2006, 08:56 PM
having a waxed bottom does nothing for you, according to the mag
ThatÂ’s good to hear because I don't even wax the top of mine. :)

BajaMike
08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
how many MPH difference are we talking about....wax vs. unwaxed???
I can't image it's more then 1 or 2 mph....I just remember Bob Teague (one of the undisputed experts I think) saying that polishing or greasing your prop was not a good idea.
:idea:
:cool:

MOBrien
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I can't image it's more then 1 or 2 mph....I just remember Bob Teague (one of the undisputed experts I think) saying that polishing or greasing your prop was not a good idea.
:idea:
:cool:
I'd have to agree. And 1 or 2 mph IS 1 or 2 quicker than the other guy. scuff the bottom = less drag/more speed. makes sense to me. :cool:

Marty Gras
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Polished or greased props will never be a good idea until Bob Teague sells them! Then they will be "the best"!. Mercury Marine "labbed props" are polished! Does "Bob" know?

Tom Brown
08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Mercury Marine "labbed props" are polished!
Not all of them. They also use a brushed finish.
Polished props don't cost much performance over brushed props and the high polish finish makes it possible to see when a crack starts forming. You have no chance when a brushed finish prop develops a micro fracture.

C-2
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Running a 1/2 tank of fuel, and kicking the fat guys with all the beer off your boat will get you at least 5mph, and is much easier.
And oh yeah, I heard those new fuel pills on ebay will also get you 25hp and boost your mileage from 3mpg to 30mpg. :220v: :220v: