PDA

View Full Version : New guy from WA.- With ????

Josh-TSG
08-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Hello guys. GREAT site! Lots of good info and COOL pics!
I have a ??? on buying my first boat. Hope this is the right place.
What would you recommend for a good 1st boat for my family? Jet, v-drive, outdrive or outboard? I'm looking at something in the 16' to 21' range. I like speed and my wife wants enough room for our two kids and some type of cover for shade when on the lake.
Will be using the boat mostly for tubing, waterskiing, and 'playing' out on the many lakes here in Washington.
I'm a mechanic by trade but don't want to be working on it all the time. Prefer V-8's. :) I'm a car guy! hahaha!
We like the daycruiser type boats.
Anyone willing to give a FNG a few tips/advice/suggestions on what to look/lookout for???
Thanks in advance guys!!!

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome bud.

axkiker
08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
get as big as you can afford. The bigger the better when it comes to ride quality.

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 09:02 AM
get as big as you can afford. The bigger the better when it comes to ride quality.
I agree. We have a 26 foot Cobra and its 1 hell of a nice ride!!!

Jyruiz
08-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Hello guys. GREAT site! Lots of good info and COOL pics!
I have a ??? on buying my first boat. Hope this is the right place.
What would you recommend for a good 1st boat for my family? Jet, v-drive, outdrive or outboard? I'm looking at something in the 16' to 21' range. I like speed and my wife wants enough room for our two kids and some type of cover for shade when on the lake.
Will be using the boat mostly for tubing, waterskiing, and 'playing' out on the many lakes here in Washington.
I'm a mechanic by trade but don't want to be working on it all the time. Prefer V-8's. :) I'm a car guy! hahaha!
We like the daycruiser type boats.
Anyone willing to give a FNG a few tips/advice/suggestions on what to look/lookout for???
Thanks in advance guys!!!
Welcome to the site, are you looking for custom or production boats? Definitely go with a 21' if you can, it will last you longer and will have more room. I would go used if it is going to be your 1st boat, you will get more boat for the money. On the power, definitely go with the most you can afford, better to have more and not need, than need and not have. Other more knowledgeable guys will be in soon to give you some more info.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-16-2006, 09:22 AM
This is geared more towards new boats and also for those of us that boat along the Colordao River but they are the types of questions you may want to consider asking before you purchase a boat.
Break
Out
Another
Thousand :p
Ask yourself these questions:
Since this type of question always seems to come up every so often I wrote down some things I would consider in purchasing a new boat. This is by no means an exhaustive list of things to think of but hopefully it is a good start.
1. Where do you plan to do most of your boating?
Topock up to Needles and Laughlin? May want to consider a jet boat due to the river being shallower North of Needles unless you know the river like the back of your hand. Topock down to Havasu springs? Can pretty much run anything there. The Parker strip? Again you need to the river well to avoid some of the shallow spots. Big River down to Blythe? Almost exclusively jets.
2. What do you plan to do when boating?
You going to want to water-ski? tube? wakeboard? Find a cove and just chill out?
3. How many peeps will you have with you usually?
If you're only going to take 4-5 peeps total, a closed bow may work, more than that on a regular basis you'll probably want an open bow.
4. What are you looking for in terms of quality? Do you care that everything is thru-bolted? Do you care if the hull has some type of coring to it? Do you want a kickass stereo system?
You can ask all of the questions you want and there are plenty of us on here that will answer them.
The thing to remember is that there a plenty of people on here that think their boat is the absolute best boat money can buy, that's called cheerleading, especially when they are way off base. There are reasons that two similarly sized and equipped boats may be as much as $15k apart in price, and it aint all profit. You get what you pay for. The boat industry is like any other industry, there is a definite tier as to who is at the top and who is at the bottom. Not everyone will agree on who is where either. Pick out which boats you like, based on the lines, and the functionality of it's amenities, how it's built , or because YOU think they have great graphics. Bottom line, get the boat that will work best for YOU.
Go to each and every builder you are interested in and take a tour of the factory. If they won't show you how they make the boat, leave. See how the boats are actually built. How do they lay the glass up? Do they use multiple layers of the same type of glass, such as only random directional glass, or do they use multiple layers of different types of glass, bi-directional, tri-directional, quadaxial? Is all of the hardware thru-bolted or do they just screw it into the fiberglass? Does the boat have full-length stringers or not? Are the screws on the underside of the ski locker capped off so you don't scrape your hand or your skis or wakeboard?
Ultimately, you're the one that will have to make the payments and be happy with your boat so you need to get the boat that fits your needs the best.

centerhill condor
08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
hard to beat a set of oars! welcome to the boards. This is a great site with some good advice. I have a jet boat and enjoy it... however, I recommend a I/O 'cause you can get repairs and parts everywhere. I like a closed bow boat 'cause sometimes the water does get rough and you can sleep in the nose of the boat if you don't mind learning what its like to be a toe! Get something used and run the heck out of it! You'll want something else in a couple of years. Maybe you'll want a different boat every couple of years. I don't recommend borrowing money to get on the water...but hey that's just me. these other guys have much to offer!

Josh-TSG
08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys! It is GREATLY appreciated!
I'm looking at used boats under $10,000. Mostly late 60's-70's boats. They have 'the look' that I like. Plus I only drive old cars. hahahaha! '69 4x4 Suburban w/454 will be my tow rig. :rollside:
Any comments towards jet vs. v-drive vs. outboard as far as maintainance/reliability?

lewiville
08-16-2006, 09:52 AM
welcome

Josh-TSG
07-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys! It is GREATLY appreciated!
I'm looking at used boats under $10,000. Mostly late 60's-70's boats. They have 'the look' that I like. Plus I only drive old cars. hahahaha! '69 4x4 Suburban w/454 will be my tow rig. :rollside:
Any comments towards jet vs. v-drive vs. outboard as far as maintainance/reliability?
Well, I've narrowed down my search for a project boat, either a V-drive or a jet.
All the V-drive projects I see are 2 seaters though...:(
The search contiues............:)

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Well, I've narrowed down my search for a project boat, either a V-drive or a jet.
All the V-drive projects I see are 2 seaters though...:(
The search contiues............:)
Jets are great boats for a first boat IMO.. Have you ever driven a boat or a jet ..
Just currious.. We started with a jet and nobody told us they didn't steer while letting off the gas.. Learned the hard way.. but it was a great boat..
:)
welcome aboard..:D :D

Josh-TSG
07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Jets are great boats for a first boat IMO.. Have you ever driven a boat or a jet ..
Yeah...it's just been awhile. Growing up in Alaska, we had a 24' Reinell cabin crusier for a family boat....I drove it alot on the lakes when I was 15 or so...
Later on a freind had a jet boat......

spectras only
07-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Find a 20 Spectra . Quite few were sold in the PNW , and not too hard to find . Small cuddy for kids to nap and sits 6 comfortably .
Had this one for 26 yrs and enjoyed every minute of it .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Picture%20146.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Picture%20144.jpg
little sister [ 19' Spectra for comparison] on the left
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Picture%20014.jpg

Mr. C
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Later on a freind had a jet boat......
Try not to use "Later" and "jet boat" in the same sentence.:D :D It might just bring you bad luck.
Welcome aboard

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome aboard

Josh-TSG
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Find a 20 Spectra .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Picture%20144.jpg
YES!!! Love those type of boats.....I've seen a few different brands searching Craigslist.......still trying to learn all the manufacturers and their quality......