PDA

View Full Version : Which tires are the best for large SUV?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 09:08 AM
I have always had trucks and my QX-56 is in need. Michies, Firestone, Bridgestone? I want the best for the desert crossings.

TheLurker
08-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I have always had good luck with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's.
Gotten a lot of miles out of each set and have worked well in soft sand

Jyruiz
08-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Our Armada will need tires soon as well, I am going to go with some Bridgestone Dualer AT's, great tires.

Bad Baja
08-16-2006, 09:12 AM
That was you pulling into my office parking lot around lunch time yesterday. I thought that was you, when did you get that ride?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 09:16 AM
That was you pulling into my office parking lot around lunch time yesterday. I thought that was you, when did you get that ride?
I have had it a while, thanks for saying hi!!!

XTRM22
08-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Ditto, I buy nothing but BFG A/T's for my 4wd vehicles. They are good on the highway, great in the sand and rocks and even due surprisingly well in mud (not like I've seen much mud living in Havasu, but a few trips up north confirmed it)
Chuck

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 09:22 AM
All Terrain Nitto's on my Excursion...

Bad Baja
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
I have had it a while, thanks for saying hi!!!
I was driving out across the parking lot, I put my hand up as a courtesy wave, wasnt sure who it was until I passed you. Im sure your day went on just fine. So how did you feel after Saturday night? All I know is I woke up with a mountain bike and all sorts of other shit at my house.

Run_em_Hard
08-16-2006, 09:25 AM
I have BFG's All-terrains right now...seem like real good tires so far. Last pair were Pro-comp mud-terrains, seen well over 40k miles on those. Would love to try the pro-comp all-terrains.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 09:28 AM
I was driving out across the parking lot, I put my hand up as a courtesy wave, wasnt sure who it was until I passed you. Im sure your day went on just fine. So how did you feel after Saturday night? All I know is I woke up with a mountain bike and all sorts of other shit at my house.
I pretty much felt like I got hit by a mountain bike!!! It was fun though!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 09:29 AM
My SUV is 2wd, are the bf's ok for that too.

cudaz101
08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I like the Pro-Comp AT out of any mentioned...This is coming from a Tire Dealer that sells all the above mentioned as well.
Plain and simple...It outlasts and outperforms in most all conditions from what we have seen. Sand, Snow & Rocks...Pretty quiet going down the hwy as well.
But hey...Ya like what ya like so I am not lookin' for an argument...."Smile"
Brad

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
All-Terrains for me- they also have a good load rating.

Richie Rich
08-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I ran this tire with the KO tread pattern on my Jeep TJ and it was hands down the best all around tire I ever used. Good off road and wet weather traction and they wore like iron. I put 55K on them before I traded the jeep in when my wife got pregnant with our daughter and I swear the tires looked almost new. Damn I miss that jeep.... :cry:

Cheap Thrills
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/As on my Jeep XJ no complaints. diecent ride & not too noisey.
I do hear a little tire whirr whirr going down the highway either that or the gearset is
fixing to blow it 's shit out :D
Can't say anything about how they do in the mud or snow I'll get back to ya on that.
C.T. :wink:

Dave C
08-16-2006, 10:19 AM
my vote: BFG AT. they keep going & going & going...... :rollside:
people I know have had pretty good luck with the pro-comp AT's & MT's also....

ROZ
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I kinda like the BFG Baja radial...
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/baja_large.jpg

a catered life
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
on the last truck had the pro comps and loved them :p
and on this truck we just got some bridgestones and they seem 2 b doing well but only have about 400 miles on them

ElimJim
08-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Very happy with my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. 20K miles now, excellent wear, not too noisy, and very good wet traction.
Also happy with the Kumho's on the new truck, but not enough miles to say whether I'd buy them again yet.

lalhc
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I've been very happy w/Goodyear's Wrangler AT/S'.

BajaMike
08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I would go with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's or Michelin, Costco has the best prices.
I wouldn't have Bridgeston or Goodyear on a car of mine at any price.....they are crap and dangerous.
:idea:

RitcheyRch
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm happy with my Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Chromegorilla
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I would go with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's or Michelin, Costco has the best prices.
I wouldn't have Bridgeston or Goodyear on a car of mine at any price.....they are crap and dangerous.
Smart man....
Just a little FYI for everyone....... Michelins are the best tire on the market. Period. No other manufacturer has the # of quality checks in their manufacturing process as Michelin..... that being said...... Michelin owns BFG (as well as Uniroyal). Some of the BFG AT's come off litteraly the same manufacturing line as the Michelin LTX's. So buy the BFG's and save yourself some coin over the Michelins.
FWIW....I work at Michelin.....

spectras only
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I've put 140.000 km's on a set of Michelin XCH4 [ can't find those anymore ]
when I had my 1985 turbo diesel Cherokee . I have Good-Year Wranglers on the front and Michelins on the rear of my 98 GC . The Michelins wore less than the Good-Years so far . Had BF Goodrich AT before and I found them wear much faster than Michelin .

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
when I had my 1985 turbo diesel Cherokee . I have Good-Year Wranglers on the front and Michelins on the rear of my 98 GC . The Michelins wore less than the Good-Years so far . Had BF Goodrich AT before and I found them wear much faster than Michelin .
Damn thats a lot of miles. Nice work bud

Partycattin
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Not unusual to get 40- 50k miles on BFG all Terrains if you keep them rotated and the alignment true.

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Not unusual to get 40- 50k miles on BFG all Terrains if you keep them rotated and the alignment true.
Yeah that is something i need to work on.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Smart man....
Just a little FYI for everyone....... Michelins are the best tire on the market. Period. No other manufacturer has the # of quality checks in their manufacturing process as Michelin..... that being said...... Michelin owns BFG (as well as Uniroyal). Some of the BFG AT's come off litteraly the same manufacturing line as the Michelin LTX's. So buy the BFG's and save yourself some coin over the Michelins.
Just got back and chose Michelin cross terain. Best tire for my car hands down and BFG did not make a tire for my car. Left me with one choice.
Thanks for all your help!

Chromegorilla
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
The cross terrains are a great SUV tire. We actually make those at the plant I work at. Those along with alot of LTX's and BFG AT's and the MXM4 touring tire and some others.

randy77zt
08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
i am a tech at a ford dealer and we sell lots of tires.most suv's never go off road or if they do its up a dirt driveway.best tire for no off road or snow on road is some kind of michelin.they ride better than oem junk generals.bfg ta's-good pick up truck tire but not my choice on the ole ladies escalade.plus the bfg's cup on front if not rotated.i wore out the goodyear commercial tires on my van and switched to michelin.van rides much better.

rvrjunkie
08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
What about the Goodyear GT for a 2wd sub. Are they Ok?

BajaMike
08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
You should never, ever, ever mix different brands or models of radial tires.....no reputable tire dealer in the US would do this. It is very dangerous!!!

BajaMike
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Smart man....
You are a smart man too and work for a good company....I don't work for any tire company, but had some inside info on the Ford Explorer/Goodyear tire blowout, Explorer rollover, people died litigation.
I wouldn't use a Goodyear inner tube to go swimming, their products are absolute junk. It came out in trial that Ford was paying $4 to $7 per tire for the Goodyears on the $25,000 Ford Explorer....no wonder they fell apart.
As Chromegorilla said, Michelin are the best tire in the world, why spend less for your family's safety. BFG is second best in the world and are very good.
Why go any where else???? :idea:
:rollside:

BajaMike
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Just got back and chose Michelin cross terain. Best tire for my car hands down and BFG did not make a tire for my car. Left me with one choice.
Thanks for all your help!
Good choice....you won't be sorry. :idea:
:rollside: