PDA

View Full Version : Have to buy a laptop

Nord
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Any suggestions??? What brand do I buy and how much should I pay??? Are the warranties worth it?? Which Processor/Display???
This is what I need to use it for:
Internet
Spreadsheet for our website (excel and Works)
Gaming
Picture saving
Music (itunes)
DVD/CD/RW
I'll be able to check replies untill 8:45 tonight...
Thanks
~NORD~

Boatcop
08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I haven't had problem one with my Dell.
Got it through Dell Outlet (scratch/dent, returns, warranty repairs, etc) same warranty, service etc. as new, but saved a few hundred.

HocusPocus
08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
i can second the dell computers. its all we buy anymore.. home and office.

Tequila-John
CompUSA has some good deals right now!

imbndvs
A Mac is the only way to go. I have had mine for 1 year and will never go back to a PC.

YeLLowBoaT
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Just make sure the warrenty covers everything. :)

reDECKulous
08-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Circuit City - Toshiba - You want the Intel Centrino or any Pentium processor.. don't get the celeron or anything else cause they are slow as sh*t... should be around $1500/$2000, make sure you get the warranty.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-Notebook-PC-P105-S9312-/sem/rpsm/oid/156635/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Had it for a year, not even the slightest problem.. very fast!

djunkie
08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Dude, get a Dell. Just make sure you get the new battery. I heard the old ones can catch on fire. :crossx:

Boatcop
08-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Dude, get a Dell. Just make sure you get the new battery. I heard the old ones can catch on fire. :crossx:
Yep. There's a major recall on some Dell LapTop Batteries. Luckily, mine wasn't one of them. :)

riverbound
08-16-2006, 05:40 PM
I have laways had very good luck with the Sony Vaios. I have had a couple and have been very satisfied.
I also have had good luck with a couple Compaq Presarios

Tom Brown
08-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Yep. There's a major recall on some Dell LapTop Batteries. Luckily, mine wasn't one of them. :)
The exploding laptop battery issue is not a Dell exclulsive. It is industry wide. We just hear about Dell because they sell a ton of laptops but it is not exclusive to any one brand.
Nord, with the needs you site, I'd make sure to get something comfortable. If you like the keyboard and screen, any laptop made today would be more power than you need.
If you care about battery life, look for Centrino or Turion. Turion is hard to find so that pretty much leaves Centrino. The new Intel chip uses significantly more power and is a step back in run-down tests, despite ratings to the contrary. Centrino is last gen now. They will get it sorted out with a new generation of stuff and it's not a huge step back but it's something to think about if you want to spend a lot of time away from an outlet.

Jbb
08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
The exploding laptop battery issue is not a Dell exclulsive. It is industry wide. We just hear about Dell because they sell a ton of laptops but it is not exclusive to any one brand.
Nord, with the needs you site , I'd make sure to get something comfortable. If you like the keyboard and screen, any laptop made today would be more power than you need.
If you care about battery life, look for Centrino or Turion. Turion is hard to find so that pretty much leaves Centrino. The new Intel chip uses significantly more power and is a step back in run-down tests, despite ratings to the contrary. Centrino is last gen now. They will get it sorted out with a new generation of stuff and it's not a huge step back but it's something to think about if you want to spend a lot of time away from an outlet.
....cite.......Boob!....... :yuk:

squirt'nmyload
08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
A Mac is the only way to go. I have had mine for 1 year and will never go back to a PC.
i agree

Tequila-John
08-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Circuit City - Toshiba - You want the Intel Centrino or any Pentium processor.. don't get the celeron or anything else cause they are slow as sh*t... should be around $1500/$2000, make sure you get the warranty.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-Notebook-PC-P105-S9312-/sem/rpsm/oid/156635/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Had it for a year, not even the slightest problem.. very fast!
Great little unit there bud

It's all Good
08-16-2006, 06:22 PM
We have been buying the Dell Latitude D620 lately. If size is a concern get the Latitude D420. Typically get the 3 year warranty.

Biglue
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Great little unit there bud
Not the manliest of posts there John. :D
Dell is the only way to go.

bruddah
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
i have a toshiba and have had no problems with it. had it for almost two years and still running strong. my gf just got a new dell and i really like it and would also recomend them.

Nord
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info.....
I'm checking out the Dell site. Tomorrow, I might head over to CompUSA to see the difference between the Hp/Compaq, and the Dells.
I don't want to spend over 900.

Fire Angler
08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Buy a new (not refurbished) Dell on Ebay for about 20% less with the same Dell warranty. Mine has been awsome. Here is the guy I bought from "squirell213".
here is one of his auctions 320015839429
It is a lot cheaper through him (or some of the others selling new Dells on Ebay) than Dell or a Dell store, just compare.

Nucking futs
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
pm fourq here on the boards or look in the spam section. He has a brand new L/T for 800 with a warranty.He is a dealer.

Jyruiz
08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info.....
I'm checking out the Dell site. Tomorrow, I might head over to CompUSA to see the difference between the Hp/Compaq, and the Dells.
Then you are going to have to selttle for something you are going to regret later on, at least try to get something with a minimum of 512 megs of ram.
I have an IBM T-42 with the extended battery, with that battery I can use the laptop for a little over 5 hours if I set the brightness to half and I have not had any problems in the year I have had it. Good luck on your search.

Never Too Old
08-16-2006, 07:09 PM
The IBM Thinkpad is the best laptop I've had. And tech support and customer service are in Atlanta. Only computer company I know of that hasn't outsourced to India or some other far away place.

imbndvs
08-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Before you even think of buying any of these PCs anyone is talking about go to an Apple store and try one of the Macs. There is no comparision! Macs are more stable and do not get viruses. People are affraid of the Macs because they think they are hard to learn. There is nothing farther than the truth! They are MUCH easier than any PC.

lalhc
08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
I've had no problems w/my Dell.

wolfie
08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Any suggestions??? What brand do I buy and how much should I pay??? Are the warranties worth it?? Which Processor/Display???
This is what I need to use it for:
Internet
Spreadsheet for our website (excel and Works)
Gaming
Picture saving
Music (itunes)
DVD/CD/RW
I'll be able to check replies untill 8:45 tonight...
Thanks
~NORD~
5'6", blonde, big t*ts, nice butt. usually $20 at Fritz in Belflower

Danhercules
08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Before you even think of buying any of these PCs anyone is talking about go to an Apple store and try one of the Macs. There is no comparision! Macs are more stable and do not get viruses. People are affraid of the Macs because they think they are hard to learn. There is nothing farther than the truth! They are MUCH easier than any PC.
I second this

ittybitycowgrl
08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I bought my laptop on OVERSTOCK.COM. I don't know if you would consider a refurbished computer or not, but it is just a thought. You can get a top of the line laptop for less money.
Mine is only a IBM thinkpad and it came with Micrsoft 2000 already in it.
purchase and shipping was 622.00.
Dell does have some really good deals and their computers are deffinately better than an IBM.
If anything else at least you could look at Overstock.com for assessories.

ittybitycowgrl
08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
oops. spelling.
accessories.

Tom Brown
08-16-2006, 08:00 PM
....cite.......Boob!....... :yuk:
At least Her454 tells me what a moron I am via PM. :D

77charger
08-16-2006, 08:38 PM
pm marty722 i got a dell from him computer does a good job i told him what i wanted to do or needed for he hooked me up with a good deal threw in a bag and extra batt,loaded with windows xp for like 275-300(i forgot the exact price)But have had no probs with it and it worked out very good for me.
just looked at it its latitude c400 very compact about 1"tall folded and about 9x12 under 3 pounds

SOCALDETAIL1
08-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Go Mac I have had mine for about 5 years no probs no need to upgrade yet you pay a little more but in the long run worth the money. no pop up's no virusis, no prob. Mark

OGShocker
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info.....
I just bought two dell XPS'. UNREAL units. If you like, pm me and I will hook you up with our Corp' rep'. We get around 10 to 12% off each unit.

C-2
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Like a TV purchase - you need to look at a bunch, side by side to see what screen looks best. Don't let a salesperson sell you what "they" like.
My little $400 Acer gest tossed around, kicked, stepped on and I keep it in a soft briefcase/w laptop compartment only, and not some kevlar and cushioned, ridiculously priced case. I throw it in the car and it travels hundreds of miles per week.
If you are going to be transferring files between a desktop and laptop - you should only worry about a nice portable hard drive to centralize your files.
Like Brown said - anything out there will probably take care of your needs. I've had top end computers and cheap ones (about a dozen or so) - and will stick with the cheap ones from here on out. Save your money.

andy01
08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Nord I bought Christina a HP at Office Depot with a printer/extra battery/ wireless internet card/wireless mouse plus the built in mouse/Cd buner/DVD burner and player/ and some other shit for $899 after rebate and it has a shit load of memory and the new procesor. Was the best deal on the market after shopping the internet and major chain stores.
Andy

Cheap Thrills
08-17-2006, 01:11 AM
My choices would be either. Alienware (http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx)
or
Clevo (http://www.clevo.com.tw/DEFAULT.asp)
Most any notebook/laptop will do what you listed. I've had IBMs , Toshibas , HPs and liked them all. The only problem I've had with any of them are the power connectors on the HPs. It was a bad design on the Pavillion series. It was not mounted to the chassis just the circut board and a little too much pressure on it and it would break the solder joint on the board. I must have repaired mine a dozen times before I finally got pissed enough to slam the lid hard enough to break the LCD and that only made it worse I ended up slinging it across the garrage a few times before I finally got it into the trash can. :(
I have had my rounds with the Dell Hell customer support more times than I can remember. I do like the looks of their XPS series but not enough to buy one. I would hope their customer service has gotten better since I tried dealing with them.
Don't get me started on Apple although probably not a bad unit . I don't do fruit. :D
C.T. :wink:

Nucking futs
08-17-2006, 04:44 AM
5'6", blonde, big t*ts, nice butt. usually $20 at Fritz in Belflower
This seems like the best deal going for sure.
Classic Dave...You must miss fritz' huh?

Richie Rich
08-17-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm a Network Administrator at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD and in my dept. we are a complete Dell shop. If Dell is good enough for the US Navy then its good enough for me. My personal PC's are all Dell's as well.
Having said that let be a total a$$ and contradict myself and say if you do buy Dell watch out for this:
Dell Customer Alert - Dell Announces Battery Recall
In cooperation with the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies worldwide, Dell is today announcing the voluntary recall of a significant number of Dell-branded lithium-ion batteries with cells manufactured by Sony. Dell Army account managers will be working with individual Army programs. Army customers should contact Dell immediately to determine if their notebook computer battery is part of this recall. To contact Dell, go to the firm's Web site at www.dellbatteryprogram.com or call toll-free at 1-866-342-0011, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time. Customers may continue to use the notebook computers safely by turning the system off, ejecting the battery, and using the AC adapter and power cord to power the system until the replacement battery is received. Customers can also write to: Dell Inc., Attn: Battery Recall, 9701 Metric Blvd., Austin, Texas 78758. See customer letter and Dell press release for further guidance.

Diablo54
08-17-2006, 06:20 AM
I have a Mac laptop and I will never go back. It was a little higher price but I love it and will never go back to a PC. The only problem I see with what you want to do with your computer is gaming. Mac does not have that many good games

a catered life
08-17-2006, 06:33 AM
I haven't had problem one with my Dell.
Got it through Dell Outlet (scratch/dent, returns, warranty repairs, etc) same warranty, service etc. as new, but saved a few hundred.
i second that i also got mine thru the outlet and saved 500 bucks...the outlet is great for laptops because you generally always get a fast processor and a crap load of memory and its sometimes loaded already....like boat cop said the warrenty is the same..i would suggest you spend some time comparing the different models cause that have a lot :p we have 3 dells in the house and have never had a problem with any...
also once you select the one you want from the outlet price it new and see the difference good luck

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2006, 07:02 AM
I have a Mac laptop and I will never go back. It was a little higher price but I love it and will never go back to a PC. The only problem I see with what you want to do with your computer is gaming. Mac does not have that many good games
If you download Apples free "Bootcamp", It'll run all windows software/games super fast.
Download AVG free too for virus protection.

beever_retreever
08-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Point to Dell. I've worked with IBM(Lenovo), Compaq/HP, Gateway, Toshiba, and Dell. Hands down best overall value(price/quality/service) is Dell. If you're limited to 900 bucks, the Dell Inspiron 6400 is a downright steal for $749 with free shipping!
15.4" WXGA TFT TrueLife
Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 1.6GHz
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner(Dual Layer)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g
Best Buy's closest offering is the Toshiba Satelite A105 for $799. The two differences is there is only 512MB ram but a bigger 120GB SATA HD.
Circuit City is offering the HP Pavillion DV5220 at $849 after $200 MIR with roughly the same specs
CompUSA has the Acer Aspire 5601 for $599 after $100 instant savings and $200 MIR. Only 512MB Ram and the 100GB IDE drive(older technology)
Good Luck.

wolfie
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
This seems like the best deal going for sure.
Classic Dave...You must miss fritz' huh?
Nothing like it here in Utah. The U-tards try to keep it in the bedroom with their 15 year old nieces.

77charger
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
just checked my batts for my dell made in taiwan so no recall on them even the model numbers are good to go. :boxed:

Seadog
08-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Apple just eliminated the only reason to buy something else. If you have to run windows, you can do it on a Mac. Apple is #1 in quality and reliability. You can by a basic MacBook with the intel processor, for under $1000. When you consider what you get with a Mac as standard, you cannot beat the price. Bluetooth and wi-fi are standard, as are many other goodies.
FWIW, The new top end pro Mac was compared with the top of the line Dell configured exactly the same. The Mac delivered everything for over $1000 less than the Dell. And that does not include the software that is in every Mac.