PDA

View Full Version : On line taste test thread: Your take on beers:

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I was rolling into Parker last week and stopped off at the store by the turn off to the Parker bridge to get ice and beer.
All the beer she had was in bottles except Keystone Lite in cans.
We try and follow the no glass rules on the beach at Emerald , so it was a 12 pax of Keystone lite in cans. It was cheap. I think $3.99.
I've been hearing: "Keystone lite is the same as Coors lite" from my neighbors and people at Emerald that drink it all the time.
Nah, I think Keystone tasted differen't, and it had a heavy lingering after taste too.
I had a few, then got some Coors lite cans at the campground store in the morning. The neighbor camp kids promptly swiped it all along with the ice chest.
No BFD, it happens.
Starting to notice a lot less Silver Bullet drinkers and more Bud Lite Drinkers, and Keystone lite drinkers too.
I think I'll stick with Bud and Coors lite.
What's your take on Keystone and the others?

Froggystyle
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I switched to Miller Lite because of the infamous "catfight" commercial between those two hotties. I figured any company with enough balls to do that commercial earned my buisness.
Strangely, since then I have found that Miller Lite has two distinct selling points to me... advertising aside. It seems both less filling, and great tasting.
Weird.
On a serious note, I don't like Coors light anymore since drinking Miller Lite. We joke about switching to "dark beer". :D

axkiker
08-17-2006, 10:31 AM
miller light all the way.

a catered life
08-17-2006, 10:40 AM
any think but that nasty german shit :yuk:

Captain Dan
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
any think but that nasty german shit :yuk:
read that out loud - sounds like a german accent to me!

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
I used to drink nothing but Coors Light. But then I got hooked on Corona's. Then I started trying different types of ale's, lagers, & micro brew type beers. Now when I try and drink a Coors Light or Bud Light, it just taste like shit to me. It's bitter and watered down tasting. :yuk: I do hate having glass on the boat though. So, that is definitely a downside to drinking those types of beer at the river.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I switched to Miller Lite because of the infamous "catfight" commercial between those two hotties. I figured any company with enough balls to do that commercial earned my buisness.
Strangely, since then I have found that Miller Lite has two distinct selling points to me... advertising aside. It seems both less filling, and great tasting.
Weird.
On a serious note, I don't like Coors light anymore since drinking Miller Lite. We joke about switching to "dark beer". :D
I worked for Budweiser the year before Miller Lite came on the market.
A company tradition is every year Old man Auggie Busch meets every employee.
Schlitz was the number one worldwide brewer at the time, and the heirs decided rather than to increase brewerys, they used a faster brewing formula to increase production.
It changed the taste of Schlitz and Old man Busch said Schlitz will be bankrupt in a year. It was the beer version of 'New Coke" and the old man was right.
He thought that's why Miller was expanding, and mentioned that to all us assembled.
Turned out the Miller expansion was for Lite.
Lite blindsided the industry & hit the market and it's taken decades for Bud to finally catch up.

Ziggy
08-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Paulaner............The real Kraut version is one of the few I really enjoyed.
Wife loves their Heffeweissen...
Otherwise, whatevers in the keg at the party works for a night. :p

SHOTKALLIN
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Good thread TPC!!! I hope that was a styrofoam cooler they swiped. I'd be pissed if it happened to me with a nice cooler from Costco. But hey maybe its just bad karma comming back to you from when you were young.
There aint nuthin wrong with a little Keystone Light. When I was 21, my pockets were light and the word on the street was that it was brewed by Adolf Coors. Well that was good enough for me. Well that special can liner helped too. They were years ahead of thier time with the can liner. Now Coors has the special can liner now...at least I think its Coors. The rumor was that you had to drink 12 cans to equal 6 silver bullets. At half price it made sense to me.
Coors Light is a great summer beer. It goes down like water when mowing the lawn or at the river. I prefer it over Miller Lite any day. I guess you could say its a toss up between Bud light and Coors light.
Corona tastes like crap in a can so don't even try it. In Mexico Corona packs more punch but it is considered the crap beer amongst locals. If I have to drink Mexican beer out of a can Make mine Modelo Especial.
just my .02

sleekcraft78
08-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Natty light right here. Unless entertaining guests, then it's Natty Ice. $11.00
for a 30 pack

Sleek-Jet
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I like to taste my beer... so I drink Miller Lite... that and it is only very slightly "heavier" than Michalob Ultra... it's got the same calories and only one or two more grams of carbs... something like that.
Coors Light goes down smooth.... yeah, so does water... :crossx:
Modelo Especial in bottles only from mezican beer... or Dos Equis Special Lager... mmmmm.... but those bottles make for a back-at-camp beer only...

Jbb
08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Schlitz was the number one worldwide brewer at the time, and the heirs decided rather than to increase brewerys, they used a faster brewing formula to increase production.
It changed the taste of Schlitz and Old man Busch said Schlitz will be bankrupt in a year. It was the beer version of 'New Coke" and the old man was right.
He thought that's why Miller was expanding, and mentioned that to all us assembled.
Lite blindsided the industry & hit the market and it's taken decades for Bud to finally catch up.
Finally catch up?....lol....Are you aware of how much beer Anheuser Busch sells worldwide?
compared to Miller?....

Riomouse911
08-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Hmmm... for floating in the 100 degree heat, I gotta go with a frosty bullet. For relaxing under the canpy on the beach, I like Dos Equis Green bottle lager.
For BBQ at home, Sierra Nevada Ale.
Now if I could just get away and have one, all will be well..:- :rollside:

Her454
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm a lightweight and can't stand dark beer so its Coors Lite for me.
In Mexico, believe it or not I prefer a cold Tecate .....if I run out of Coors Lite. :)
Good thread TPC

SHOTKALLIN
08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I almost forgot...Michelob Light is damn good too.

Ziggy
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I can distinctly remember when we had to ask people to buy us beer in front of 7-11..........somehow we'd end up with Old English 800 and no change :D :D
:220v:
:220v:

78 challenger
08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Try Heineken light. Not as bold as regular Heineken. Left the Coors light to drink the Heiny.

25dic
08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Bud Light :boxed: :) :)

axkiker
08-17-2006, 12:29 PM
yup what he said. The last I checked miller is a very profitable stock to purchase. Or it was a few years back and i would say still is. Must say something about the co.

IMPATIENT 1
08-17-2006, 12:32 PM
i'll drink any kinda beer at the lake as long as it cold if i'm out, but i go 20 miles south to texas and buy 6-point bud lite when i can.after the 7 or 8 can, i'm drunk,lol.

IMPATIENT 1
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
i'll drink any kinda beer at the lake as long as it cold if i'm out, but i go 20 miles south to texas and buy 6-point bud lite when i can.after the 7 or 8 can, i'm drunk,lol.
keystone lite is made in the same brewery as coors lite, look on the back of the can or box and you'll see it says distr. by coors.

Hallett19
08-17-2006, 12:36 PM
+1 for Miller Lite- that and Michelob Ultra and Amstel Light are darn good beers, for being so light and less filling. I love Leffe, Stella and Hoeggarden, them are good too :)

Flat Happy
08-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I drink Keystone Lights for the everyday beer. But I would much rather drink microbrew beer if my pocketbook could support it. It just doesn't get any better than a tasty IPA, Amber, Porter, or Stout. Hard for me to drive anywhere without stopping at a brewpub where cold microbrew is on tap :cool:
When I went on the VIP tour at the Coors Brewery in Golden, CO in early 2004, the tour guy (who was higher up in the company than your typical tour guide) told our group that Keystone Light comes from the same batch as Coors Light. And, no, not the bottom of the barrel crap left over :p . The lining of the can makes it taste a bit different and the price is cheaper, because they do very little marketing to get the beer onto the shelves. I've been drinking Keystone Light for 10 years now. I've tried the rest of the domestic and import beers. Keystone Light has always tasted better to me for an everyday beer.
Always smooth, never bitter...haha.
Al

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Finally catch up?....lol....Are you aware of how much beer Anheuser Busch sells worldwide?
compared to Miller?....
In the US lite Beer market I meant to say.

kphayes
08-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Bud Light for this kid. I used to be a Bud drinker until my wife said, "look at that belly, you may want to start drinking Bud Light. :yuk: Needless to say, I just don't care for the taste of Miller or Coors. Now Sam Adams Boston Lager is my favorite.
Here is a shot of my wife in Party Cove @ the Lake of the O'zarks 3 weeks ago. Augie Busch III pulled up right behind us and anchored. He had a Captian for his 75' yacht and he pulled up in the 40' Bud Select Skater. He had all sorts of hired Bud girls running around the yacht. Must be rough!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/492837.JPG

syke-o
08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
michelob ultra is pretty good for the river...

Bradman
08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
In my younger years it was nothing but Mickey's Big Mouth. Cheap and could get a buzz of a couple of bottles. Now a days I can only handle the lite stuff. Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Corona Lite it doesn't matter much to me as long as is ice cold. All this talking about beer I think I'm going to have a few now.

Bradman
08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
She belongs in the Official Amazingly Hot Chick Thread. :)

Devil's Advocate
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Michelob Ultra, Miller Lite, Corona light

Sleek-Jet
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I'd drink what ever Mrs. Kphayes told me to drink as well... :D :idea:

Partycattin
08-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I tend to drink Coors light and Bud Light a lot. That's usually what's available when we go to a bbq or friends house.
If I'm buying, typically get Sam Adams, Pyramid, etc
Like Corona for about 3, then it starts to taste skunky.
Like the dark beers a lot, but have to limit myself to 2 or 3 otherwise it's a guaranteed hangover the next day.
Ever try Boddingtons?

beaverretriever
08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Ill drink Keystone. I dont mind it. The Ice is pretty good. It is cheap. Thats a good plus.
I prefer Miller or Mexican beer.
I wont support Bud, they use George-Assclown-Clooney as a spokesperson. F-N pinko.

squirt'nmyload
08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
yuengling was my 1st choice when i lived back east...i get it every once in a awhile when i go back or when someone brings it to me that visits. (that is one of my requirements for people that live back there to stay at my house) only if it was sold out here.......but until then, you'll see me with either bl, ml, cl, or a occasional tecate

NoCal NoBoat
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I was back in Long Beach, NY last week, on Long Island for the annual vacation.
They now report a number called "heat index". I gather it's the "feels like" number. So it's 98 and humid, "feels like" 105.
Based on 11 years of experience, Coors Light is "the" heat index beer. Regulates the internal temperature, and never has put me under the table.
Something to be said here for tradition, though - in Long Beach, I'd feel weird
with anything other than a Silver Bullet in my hand.
In Manhattan, I went "top shelf" with my pizza, and bought a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell. I love that beer. Only occasionally - I'd be hammered and broke if I drank it as my everyday beer.

Mandelon
08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Miller Lite or Tecate are good especially with a lime wedge. Adding the lime just makes it taste like I am on vacation.
Coors Light gives me a stomach ache.

Froggystyle
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
My favorite beer, and unfortunately unavailable here in San Diego, is "Honey Brown Ale" by JW Dundee. I drank the hell out of it in Virginia when I was stationed there and loved it. Phoenix gets it as well but for some reason they have chosen to not service the San Diego market. :(
I should bring some cases home from the show when I head out there...

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I love an ICE COLD Coors Light.... YES PLEASE!

I DIG IT !
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Well I dont know about anybody else but bud light gives me a bad headack. So I normally stick to coors light. And do my fair share to keep the market going strong. undefinedCOORS LIGHT ALL THE WAY!!! :)

Tequila-John
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Well I dont know about anybody else but bud light gives me a bad headack. So I normally stick to coors light. And do my fair share to keep the market going strong. undefinedCOORS LIGHT ALL THE WAY!!! :)
YIPPIE!!! Good call bud

HavasuSelect
08-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Bud Light :boxed: :) :)
Ditto. I hate Miller because of their commercials that knocked on the majestic clydsdale.

Rexone
08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Sam Adams, MGD, Michelob, Heiniken, VB (Austrailian), Corona in a pinch.
Really don't dig the light beers much although I have drunk a few. :wink:

Irishgal
08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I pretty much been drinking Coors lite since I moved here....The Mexican beers I like but for some reason only on tap or in bottles.
I do still enjoy (but can no way consume as much as CL)... Harp, Newcastle and Murphy's.

vdrivenman
08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Shiner Bock or any of the Sam Adams group.
don't like water down lite beer !

havasu haulin
08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16722

Parker Dreamin
08-17-2006, 06:28 PM
growning up Keystone light was the way to go due to lack of funds. I have been a CL fan for years, then went the Miller Lite route becuase it has less carbs...... bud light is not bad either.
so I would grab coors light, miller light or budlight....... of course if they are handed to me I love them all.

voodoomedman
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
What's with all the scare of bottles at the river. At the chance of getting flamed that's all I take on my boat because cans make beer taste like a$$. But I have a trashcan on my boat and every bottle gets put in there unbroken. Cans change the taste of any beverage and plastic is even worse. Next time you buy some coke just for the heck of it spend some extra money and get bottles. It tastes so much better. Too bad it's smaller quantities for more money. Anyways I drink Corona for an everyday easy going down beer and because no one says bad about it. But I do like to partake in an Amber Bock, Guiness, Newcastle or anything good that I may not have had yet.

ratso
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I've never had a beer where I go "Damn that tastes good"... I'm a gin drinker myself...

a catered life
08-18-2006, 06:57 AM
read that out loud - sounds like a german accent to me!
i now have mind control over you :p

Not So Fast
08-18-2006, 07:28 AM
So whats the verdict here?? Is COORS LIGHT really the same as KEYSTONE LIGHT?? :confused: BIG price difference. NSF

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2006, 09:17 AM
What's with all the scare of bottles at the river. At the chance of getting flamed that's all I take on my boat because cans make beer taste like a$$. But I have a trashcan on my boat and every bottle gets put in there unbroken. Cans change the taste of any beverage and plastic is even worse. Next time you buy some coke just for the heck of it spend some extra money and get bottles. It tastes so much better. Too bad it's smaller quantities for more money. Anyways I drink Corona for an everyday easy going down beer and because no one says bad about it. But I do like to partake in an Amber Bock, Guiness, Newcastle or anything good that I may not have had yet.
Where I boat, glass containers are "non gratis" (I think that's the term)...
You might be able to keep a hand on all the empty bottles, but most of the numb skulls out there can't... I've cut my foot on a broken bottle before, so I'm not a big fan of glass bottles on the lake...

DMOORE
08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm a fan of dark beer, but on a hot day Corona rocks. Pacifica is great too. I was really suprised a few months ago when I went into the store at hidden shores, they had Corona in cans. It's the only place I have seen them. Needless to say thats what I take on the boat. Tecate works well as a sub.
Darrell.

voodoomedman
08-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Where I boat, glass containers or "non gratis" (I think that's the term)...
You might be able to keep a hand on all the empty bottles, but most of the numb skulls out there can't... I've cut my foot on a broken bottle before, so I'm not a big fan of glass bottles on the lake...
I hear ya. I hate seeing any trash on the lake though. So just know that if anyone sees me with a glass bottle it will make it into the trash.

Cheap Thrills
08-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Just loafing around the shop or at the water Coors Light, Newcastle is mandatory for steak dinners. and chill time. Never had Keystone. can't be any worse than Black Label.
C.T. :wink:

Hallett19
08-18-2006, 11:45 AM
My favorite beer, and unfortunately unavailable here in San Diego, is "Honey Brown Ale" by JW Dundee. I drank the hell out of it in Virginia when I was stationed there and loved it. Phoenix gets it as well but for some reason they have chosen to not service the San Diego market. :(
I should bring some cases home from the show when I head out there...
Try www.bevmo.com, you can order most errrrrthang from them suckas. I'll tell you a good beer, Sunshine Wheat, made from the same dudes, that make Flat Tire...which sucks.

beever_retreever
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Old Style or Old Style Light? It's the backyard beer of Illinois and Wisconson. Nothing like a few bottles/cans/cups of Old Style while watching a Cubs game at Wrigley. Out in Kansas they've got Boulevard Brewing Co. which makes a killer wheat and IPA. New Belgium Brewery in Colorado makes a the Fat Tire and a killer seasonal called Skinny Dip.
But when I'm home in Cali, I'll be drinking Coors Light at Castaic!

centerhill condor
08-18-2006, 02:14 PM
beer is beer...after about 4 anyway! Carlsburg when you get the chance. I got it first in Copehagen back in the early 80's.. you may recall the rooskies were covertly parking their nuke subs in other country's harbors 'cause of the nice warm water...35 cents a bottle..good times!
why don't you guys drink mixed drinks? or get a keg.. I see all these pics of people with a can in the hand. Nice thing about mixed is you don't get soooo many calories and can "custom blend" for proper hydration or full on knock down.
My neighbors drink 2 cases per person per day on the weekend. I don't understand how people drink that much and live....what about you west coasters? :)