PDA

View Full Version : raylar kit for 496ho

firebadge
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
anyone who has upgraded their 496 ho with the raylar kit, i would like to know what kind of performance you got and was it worth the money?

Garrddogg
01-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh Boy Here We Go!

jailbird141
01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I would like to know how reliable it has been and if you had any issues.

djunkie
01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Do a search for raylar guys. Lots of good reading. :rollside:

Phat Matt
01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Ask Riverholic. :)

firebadge
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Do a search for raylar guys. Lots of good reading. :rollside:
read up on raylar site but want to know real boat performance. they just have projected hp #'s.

OutCole'd
01-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Ask Riverholic. :)
You are a mean, mean person, today. :)

djunkie
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
read up on raylar site but want to know real boat performance. they just have projected hp #'s.
Do a search on this site for Raylar.

Beer-30
01-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Just search here on "Raylar". You'll get what you are looking for....and a little more!

firebadge
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Just search here on "Raylar". You'll get what you are looking for....and a little more!
looked it up. not too encouraging. thanks. i need to do some homework

JB in so cal
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I have an idea; do a search on here for Raylar.

djunkie
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I have an idea; do a search on here for Raylar.
Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: :)

Phat Matt
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
You are a mean, mean person, today. :)
How's the courtship with RR going? :rollside:

JB in so cal
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
They're both Fags.
The nerve. I work all day; come home to find RR out romancing OC'd. Now they're talking about getting a place together at the Islander. Damn lazy sluts. There's just no respect for the workin' man :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
01-12-2006, 04:39 PM
It's going ok I guess. If he doesn't put out soon, I'm outa here. :rollside:

OutCole'd
01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
They're both Fags.
The nerve. I work all day; come home to find RR out romancing OC'd. Now they're talking about getting a place together at the Islander. Damn lazy sluts. There's just no respect for the workin' man :rolleyes:
Speakin of working man, can you hook a brother up next month in San Diego?

JB in so cal
01-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Speakin of working man, can you hook a brother up next month in San Diego?
I just got a fresh supply of freebies; PM your work/homo address (not a typo)

OutCole'd
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I just got a fresh supply of freebies; PM your work/homo address (not a typo)
:D

RiverDave
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I read it and it sounded quite encouraging to me? The way I read it, it looked like Raylar stepped up and did everything they could?
RD

JB in so cal
01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Talk to them at the boat show!

Beer-30
01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I think by now most all of the bugs have been worked out. It would be a pretty safe bet by now, in my opinion. Your pistons may let go from the added pressure, but that is a risk we all take from time to time.

djunkie
01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I read it and it sounded quite encouraging to me? The way I read it, it looked like Raylar stepped up and did everything they could?
RD
Sure its great that they stepped up, but the fact that the problems are there would scare me off.

JB in so cal
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Shadow hasn't had problems, has he?

RiverDave
01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Sure its great that they stepped up, but the fact that the problems are there would scare me off.
Yeah, but are the problems with Raylar or are the Problems with Merc? or rather Chevy's new 496?
I remember when the new 2500 HD's came out a bunch of people bought their trucks with the 496, and a bunch of people had problems with them?
As well, I've heard of the piston issue on stock 496's minus the raylar kit? Makes me wonder if it's a good idea to be adding HP to that program in it's factory form to begin with.. but the failures to me aren't necesarrily a Raylar problem? Albeit making more HP is harder on already weak links.
I don't think I'd buy a boat with a 496 in it, unless my plan was to take it out, and have someone go through the hole motor.
RD

Beer-30
01-12-2006, 04:57 PM
He had the rocker nut issue, but that I think, is all.

shadow
01-12-2006, 05:02 PM
RD
Took my boat from 70mph to 80mph.any 496 with performance mods can have troubles.There are plenty out there that have gernaded without any mods.
I've seen several personally and have heard of several more.
So far i'm satisfied with the Raylar set up and it has added all the performance
advertised if not more.Time to plane cut way down,mid range power improved,mid range rpm's down speeds up,Top end gain of a solid 10mph.
However there was an issue with some rocker nuts breaking,which from what i understand they have resolved.
I personally eliminated those nuts and installed 7/16 rocker studs with posilock
nuts that i had machined down to fit.

rivercrazy
01-12-2006, 05:07 PM
My own personal experience with this engine is very positive. Almost 200 hard hours on a stock 496HO. Its been totally bulletproof. No power drop off or oil consumption either.
Its a solid motor with good parts. The only thing to keep in mind is that the pistons aren't forged.

djunkie
01-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but are the problems with Raylar or are the Problems with Merc? or rather Chevy's new 496?
I remember when the new 2500 HD's came out a bunch of people bought their trucks with the 496, and a bunch of people had problems with them?
As well, I've heard of the piston issue on stock 496's minus the raylar kit? Makes me wonder if it's a good idea to be adding HP to that program in it's factory form to begin with.. but the failures to me aren't necesarrily a Raylar problem? Albeit making more HP is harder on already weak links.
I don't think I'd buy a boat with a 496 in it, unless my plan was to take it out, and have someone go through the hole motor.
RD
Well I'm no expert on the these motors but it just seems like there has been more problems with the motors after the kit was installed. Theres not many other options besides a supercharging for these motors but it just seems like to much of a risk to me.

shadow
01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
My own personal experience with this engine is very positive. Almost 200 hard hours on a stock 496HO. Its been totally bulletproof. No power drop off or oil consumption either.
Its a solid motor with good parts. The only thing to keep in mind is that the pistons aren't forged.
Exactly,the pistons are the weak link any any failure i've heard or seen of have been the pistons.I've seen several without mods.
I had approx 200 trouble free hrs on mine before pulling it and going through
it for this up coming season.I expect to get no less this time around as long as the pistons hold up.
New 496 short block.

superdave013
01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Franky makes some nice parts to go along with that Raylor kit. His pulleys are really nice and his remote oil filter set up is pretty slick too. He has some other stuff as well. Things like kits to re-locate the coils off the valve covers and stuff like that.

INSman
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Franky makes some nice parts to go along with that Raylor kit. His pulleys are really nice and his remote oil filter set up is pretty slick too. He has some other stuff as well. Things like kits to re-locate the coils off the valve covers and stuff like that.
Why yes he does and I have (2) sets on my boat !!! Thanks Franky !!!

Phat Matt
01-12-2006, 06:36 PM
It's going ok I guess. If he doesn't put out soon, I'm outa here. :rollside:
LOL. :D
Maybe you should pull that bible out from between his legs.

onetallhd
01-12-2006, 07:14 PM
In My Opinion Don't DO IT!!! Leave the 496 alone and it may give you 0 problems. Open it up and modify it and your asking for it. The stock motor seems to be alright alone but when you add more hp, the cast parts inside are a ticking time bomb. Take it from a friend of someone who has just resolved his problems with his own Raylar experience. Yesterday he just bought an entirely new motor cause he was tired of dealing with all the problems. Just my .02

Raylar
01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Firebadge:
You can call or email me or PM me and I will give you twenty or as many as you would like, numbers of boaters all over the world who have our kits and love them. We had one small issue with some rocker nuts and that was taken care of no charge and no cost. Better response than most aftermarket companies ijn the marine industry.We also had one customer who we helped out, except he did not want to finish the total conversion due to cost and he's been bashing us for a while. Were tough, were here and we can take his unfounded criticism pretty well. As for the 496 engine it sometimes gets some knocks it does not deserve. Stop by our booth at the LA Show and we will discuss more if you like, you can also check out our new 600 cubic inch 700HP+ 496 that should silence a few skeptics.
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

rvrhlic
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
my opion - don't do it. I will admit that Raylar talks a great talk. I bought into it. Raylar's above post talks about me. In my opinion wait - let them continue to work the bugs out. You don't want to be a guinea pig for them you will no be happy.
If you really want one, I will sell you my raylar built fully forged 496 engine with less than 40 hours for 10k. But hurry it will be gone (parted out) as the parts are worth more than the whole. I would save your pennies and get a real engine with good parts and a warranty, you will be happier in the long run.
Feel free to PM me for all the details, we do not need to re-hash anything here.

dicudmore
01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Took my boat from 70mph to 80mph.any 496 with performance mods can have troubles.There are plenty out there that have gernaded without any mods.
I've seen several personally and have heard of several more.
So far i'm satisfied with the Raylar set up and it has added all the performance
advertised if not more.Time to plane cut way down,mid range power improved,mid range rpm's down speeds up,Top end gain of a solid 10mph.
However there was an issue with some rocker nuts breaking,which from what i understand they have resolved.
I personally eliminated those nuts and installed 7/16 rocker studs with posilock
nuts that i had machined down to fit.
I can verify this...
the performance gains can not be argued...
I've ridden in this boat before and after, and on 7 cyls :wink: it is like a new boat the difference in mid-range accel is night and day.
I have also heard some first hand stories of rocker nut failures and in each case Raylar sent new parts out right away and paid a shop their labor to take care of it :D
The bottom end is still a stock Suburban engine...take that for what its worth...I did not make any changes to MY 496 for fear of failure

Kilrtoy
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
So how much is that warrantied MERC 525 this year

djunkie
01-13-2006, 02:13 AM
You know Kilr, even though your a cop :devil: I have to side with you on your preaching of the 525. Sure seems like a lot of people who wish they would have gotten it to begin with. :D

Not So Fast
01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
It would have been about a $20,000 upgrade for the motor/drive package when I bought. If I want more HP I'll go custom motor, leave the 496 alone. NSF

JB in so cal
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Has anyone put headers on a 496? Teague's or anyone elses? 60 hp for about $3000.

INSman
01-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Has anyone put headers on a 496? Teague's or anyone elses? 60 hp for about $3000.
I did and went with the Revolution Marine system, very reasonable in price in comparison to some of these others, but some additional mods are recommended.

Flashover
01-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Talk to Focker about his 496 with the raylar kit, See what he thinks, He will give you his honest opinion. Good luck..... :crossx:

moneypit
01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Talk to Focker about his 496 with the raylar kit, See what he thinks, He will give you his honest opinion. Good luck..... :crossx:
Does focker even know how to drive a boat?? :D

Flashover
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Ouch.... :crossx:

Hardly Satisfied
01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
focker makes a good bloody mary :rollside:

dicudmore
01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
yes he does...Focker is a real good guy :cool:

Keith E. Sayre
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
One of our customers did the raylar kit recently and is quite happy with it.
He took a 2004 Top CAtII deckboat and with 2 of us, 96 gallons of gas and
the boat is maxed out with storage stuff and junk, we went 62 mph on a
gps unit with a 496HO. After Aaron did the Raylar Kit, we went 74 mph. We
used the same Gps, the same boat, same two of us in the boat and the
boat and gas situation were the same. No matter how else you look at it,
the boat went what appears to be 12 mph faster.
Problems? Aaron adjusted the fuel pressure a couple times and took his own
time to go to the lake and actually make these adjustments while in the water. Sounds like the right way to do it to me. Other than that, no problems. I have the owner of the boat's phone number if anyone wants to
be specific and talk to him directly.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

INSman
01-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Although I do have (2) Raylar kits in my boat, my situation is more unique than most as I basically started off with 496's that were balanced, blueprinted and has all forged internals along with the Raylar 600 kit.
We are in the home stretch on my project, and should have my reprogrammed ECM's early next week and hopefully back in my boat to try out next weekend. The new ECM's will have a rev limiter of 5,550 versus about 5,100 stock. With the 600HP setup, you have to do quite a bit of "extras" to get everything right, including headers, fuel pumps, fuel/water seperators, oil coolers, remount brackets, piggy-back ecm's and a few other things I can't recall, but I will certainly weigh back in on this thread after I run the boat next weekend at the higher rpms. Although I am not quite yet hitting the top end speed that I was expecting, the new rpm's should help out a bit and I may even remove my mufflers that may be quite restrictive. I am also considering the possibility that my 'X' dimension on my boat is too low, burying the drives/props too deep.

KACHINA KEN
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Exactly,the pistons are the weak link any any failure i've heard or seen of have been the pistons.I've seen several without mods.
I had approx 200 trouble free hrs on mine before pulling it and going through
it for this up coming season.I expect to get no less this time around as long as the pistons hold up.
New 496 short block.
Valve trane took a dump in 3 of mine, the 2 new gen 496s are holding up in the 34 but I only have 30 hrs so Im not jumping up and down just yet.

tmv208custom
01-13-2006, 02:51 PM
i have a raylar kit for about a year now and i havent had any problems with it . (knock on wood). i gain 100+hp and i gain 14 mph right off the bat.

Kilrtoy
01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Although I do have (2) Raylar kits in my boat, my situation is more unique than most as I basically started off with 496's that were balanced, blueprinted and has all forged internals along with the Raylar 600 kit.
We are in the home stretch on my project, and should have my reprogrammed ECM's early next week and hopefully back in my boat to try out next weekend. The new ECM's will have a rev limiter of 5,550 versus about 5,100 stock. With the 600HP setup, you have to do quite a bit of "extras" to get everything right, including headers, fuel pumps, fuel/water seperators, oil coolers, remount brackets, piggy-back ecm's and a few other things I can't recall, but I will certainly weigh back in on this thread after I run the boat next weekend at the higher rpms. Although I am not quite yet hitting the top end speed that I was expecting, the new rpm's should help out a bit and I may even remove my mufflers that may be quite restrictive. I am also considering the possibility that my 'X' dimension on my boat is too low, burying the drives/props too deep.
Blaine for the headache you have spent over the last 8 months, would it have not been better to get a 525's? And been enjoying your boat
Just wondering.....

phebus
01-13-2006, 05:54 PM
The Raylar kit seems like a great alternative for someone that already has a boat with 496 power, but I don't think the idea of ordering a boat with 496 power with the idea of upgrading to the Raylar package later is a very good one.
Get the 525 power up front with the XR drive, hydraulic steering and the correct pitch prop, and save the headache of all the future upgrades, and you will have a great package that comes with a warranty.
Plus, I'm sure the 525 package would have much better resale than a upgraded 496 would.
My .02

INSman
01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Blaine for the headache you have spent over the last 8 months, would it have not been better to get a 525's? And been enjoying your boat
Just wondering.....
You know, in retrospect it would have been easier to do and I honestly don't know how much $$$ I may have saved, but as you can tell by my graphics, I usually stray from the norm.
I am reserving FINAL judgement until this last tweak is done and tested, but I do like the look, sound and feel of the motors, not having any basis for comparison in a similar size and type boat with twin 525's.
I am already looking at possibly my next boat (33' Active Thunder), that I am going to see in Miami next month, and I would LOVE to drop in a pair of Ilmor 625's into that puppy !!!! :cool: :rollside:

Kilrtoy
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Blaine my friend you are a mad man, You go thru boats like I go thru cars.....
the wife is checking out your boat as i type in F&P Boating....SHHHHHHHHHHH dont let Brett B. hear that...

Beer-30
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I am already looking at possibly my next boat (33' Active Thunder), that I am going to see in Miami next month, and I would LOVE to drop in a pair of Ilmor 625's into that puppy !!!! :cool: :rollside:
STFU! Damnit! That's it! After all that work and time into these motors, you already want to change?! That's fine, but don't expect all the friendly ad bumps this time. We're all about wore out still from trying to help sell the Dana!

INSman
01-13-2006, 09:49 PM
STFU! Damnit! That's it! After all that work and time into these motors, you already want to change?! That's fine, but don't expect all the friendly ad bumps this time. We're all about wore out still from trying to help sell the Dana!
Now that is down right funny !!!!!! Believe it or not, I really miss the Dana ..
Who knows about a new boat, I may just be talkin' out my a$$, but at times, it seems like I just need a project or a reason to work harder to make more money, or ???
The big problem is that I am not certain that the 33' AT on a trailer will fit in my garage, so I could be pissin' in the wind or knowing me, I will just have to build another house with a bigger garage :hammerhea

Kilrtoy
01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Let me help you,
NO IT WONT
and the wife ays get rid of the gay shit , the colored smile's
now you house is THE BOMB

INSman
01-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Let me help you,
NO IT WONT
and the wife ays get rid of the gay shit , the colored smile's
now you house is THE BOMB
I do like the house and I am thinking that I may even visit next weekend, and you are probably and unfortunately right about NOT fitting.
The gay smilies are supposed to draw your attention to my SPAM !!! Tell Yvonne, they are staying !!! :D for now anyway

Kilrtoy
01-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I have yet to see YOUR HOUSE, But I toured another house JUST like yours and DAM, that think was sick and Michelle said, This is nothing compared to BLAINES HOUSE.
Ofcourse it was a SUMMIT HOUSE

INSman
01-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I have yet to see YOUR HOUSE, But I toured another house JUST like yours and DAM, that think was sick and Michelle said, This is nothing compared to BLAINES HOUSE.
Summit does make a nice house and we did a lot of different changes/upgrades on ours which is what would keep me from selling it and using the Washita house instead that has a 42' garage. That is what the "smart" money would do, but who ever said I was smart :220v:

INSman
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
What other Summit did you see and what was it you liked so much about it ?
Was it a Regal model, Kimberly or Pinnacle ??

***boateditor
01-13-2006, 10:37 PM
the wife is checking out your boat as i type in F&P Boating....SHHHHHHHHHHH dont let Brett B. hear that...
Cheating on me, are you?
B

INSman
01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Cheating on me, are you?
B
Uh oh !! :supp:

Focker
01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I can verify this...
the performance gains can not be argued...
I've ridden in this boat before and after, and on 7 cyls :wink: it is like a new boat the difference in mid-range accel is night and day.
I have also heard some first hand stories of rocker nut failures and in each case Raylar sent new parts out right away and paid a shop their labor to take care of it :D
The bottom end is still a stock Suburban engine...take that for what its worth...I did not make any changes to MY 496 for fear of failure
FOCK U

Focker
01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
dont you have some gay guys back to adjust? :yuk:

Focker
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
why yes i do

Focker
01-14-2006, 12:05 PM
your project? :rollside: :rollside:
be honest
ya know you're wife designed the package after she got fed up with your phone sales

Focker
01-14-2006, 12:16 PM
The Raylar kit seems like a great alternative for someone that already has a boat with 496 power, but I don't think the idea of ordering a boat with 496 power with the idea of upgrading to the Raylar package later is a very good one.
Get the 525 power up front with the XR drive, hydraulic steering and the correct pitch prop, and save the headache of all the future upgrades, and you will have a great package that comes with a warranty.
Plus, I'm sure the 525 package would have much better resale than a upgraded 496 would.
My .02
you are so correct
my boat went from gps 57 to gps 73 all conditions the same
yes i had the rocker arm problem
yes Ray and Arron stood my their product and work
Was on the water with Mrs Focker and Mrs Shadow yesterday and the boat was flying. about 35 hours on it since the rocker arm problem and no problems yet.
my BITCH
I still have Black Soot which I was promised I would not have
Ray and Arron have to fix this, otherwise if ya got a 496 and u want to go faster then go Raylar

dicudmore
01-14-2006, 12:35 PM
FOCK U
hey whats this fock u talk all about? see post #46...
ain't no love in this place :mad: :mad:

Partycattin
01-14-2006, 12:40 PM
How's the job search going?

dicudmore
01-14-2006, 12:44 PM
How's the job search going?
yeah bloody's at Gerd's house later :D
I should have answers by next week, thanks :D

Focker
01-14-2006, 01:14 PM
ya not reading between the lines :rollside:

Focker
01-14-2006, 01:14 PM
yeah bloody's at Gerd's house later :D
I should have answers by next week, thanks :D
works for me
come on over

INSman
01-14-2006, 01:48 PM
your project? :rollside: :rollside:
be honest
ya know you're wife designed the package after she got fed up with your phone sales
WTF are you talking about, are you drunk AGAIN ??!!?? :rollside:

Hardly Satisfied
01-14-2006, 02:03 PM
FOCKER, BECAREFUL SO YOU DON'T FALL AGAIN LIKE YOU DID AT THE POKERRUN LAST YEAR :rollside:

INSman
01-14-2006, 02:11 PM
FOCKER, BECAREFUL SO YOU DON'T FALL AGAIN LIKE YOU DID AT THE POKERRUN LAST YEAR :rollside:
That was ugly, and Focker isn't pretty to begin with !!! :rollside: :D

Focker
01-14-2006, 03:42 PM
WTF are you talking about, are you drunk AGAIN ??!!?? :rollside:
will be after celebrating Denvers win tonight

INSman
01-15-2006, 08:35 AM
will be after celebrating Denvers win tonight
I only saw the 1st quarter at a kids b-day party, Congrats on the win !!

Focker
01-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I only saw the 1st quarter at a kids b-day party, Congrats on the win !!
thanks

INSman
01-15-2006, 09:35 AM
thanks
What's up today, you all hungover and sheat ??!!?? :220v:
p.s. Headed to Havasu on Friday to run my new ECM's !! :cool:

Focker
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
What's up today, you all hungover and sheat ??!!?? :220v:
p.s. Headed to Havasu on Friday to run my new ECM's !! :cool:
nope was up at 7am
beautiful day
got back from Havasu at 9am yesterday
Friday was awesome on the water
saw your boat in the shop whats wrong with it?

Escape Velocity
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
My Raylar upgrade is similar to Insman's, although I'm using the Bassett tri-Y headers. It's a BIG change in performance for a naturally aspirated upgrade. On my Velocity VR1, I've gained approximately 9 mph even after changing to an XR drive which is reported to be about 2 mph slower than the Bravo X drive, and adding Gibson mufflers. I'm running at the rev limiter now, and if rev limiter modifications become available, I have even more speed in my future.
I had a 496 Mag HO that was economically viable to upgrade. Raylar did much more than simply develop high performance heads and an intake manifold. In the world of fuel injected motors, they also came up with a cam design that integrated the entire package in the context of the Merc computer. Yes, we worked through developmental issues as we gained experience with such things as modifying the fuel curve via their e-box, and I received great technical support. Anyone upgrading now will benefit from the discovery process that is behind us, in addition to having worked out some of the other "bugs" that have been addressed in this thread. The engine runs great and looks great too. I got my money's worth.

rrrr
01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
.......my plan was to take it out, and have someone go through the hole motor.
RD
What the heck is a hole motor? And put that thing away!! :eek: :eek: :D