PDA

View Full Version : What power tool lines do you like?

Trailer Park Casanova
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I would wager no one has all the same brand for their power tools.
Some companies build certain tools better than others.
My Sawsall is a Porter Cable multi-swivel head and it is tits.
Power drivers De Walt, and they're ok, not spectacular.
Drills all Millwalkie cordless whole Haugs.
My sheet metal working power tools are Bosch. The Krauts like heavy bulky power tools.
Makita seems to be rarely seen anymore.
What line for what tools do you find is "Da Kine"

Tom Brown
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Makita make a really sweet angle drill. None of the other brands I looked at could get into as small a space as the Makita.
There are a ton of really good cordless tools on the market these days. Both of mine are 15 year old DeWalts from the univolt era. I've had to have two battery packs rebuilt. They cost $35 each to rebuild with new Sanyo cells. I'd replace the drills but these work perfectly.
There are a lot of great tools available these days. A buddy of mine sells DeWalt so most of my tools are yellow but I've got about every good quality brand going in one tool, or another. I love tools. I spend way too much on tools.

RitcheyRch
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I like Makita and DeWalt.

Jbb
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Brown is a tool..... :p

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2006, 12:08 PM
For skill saws I like "skill saw" I picked up a mag 77 last year. it has a magneizm housing. its a coulpe pounds lighter then other worm drives and has the same power.
mikita makes one of the most durable cordless drills( only one that does not have a plastic clutch.)
Dewalt make a very nice sliding combound miter saw that beats every thing under 1500. very good corded drills( none hammer), They have a great drywal rotary saw, good sawz all and some other odds stuff.
Bosch makes a great hammer drill.( every thing else is kind of funky, but thier hammers rock.)
PC makes good routers.
Alot of the power tool company are inbread.
for example dewalt, pc, (most) craftsmen, a couple other brands that will come back to me as soon as a submit this post are all owned by B&D.
Skill, mikita and milwaki are the only ones that are independent.

Tom Brown
08-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Brown is a tool..... :p
If I could be any tool, I'd like to be a bottoming tap.

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2006, 12:15 PM
When it comes to the bigger stuff I like powermatic/jet. There are better things out there, but they are 2x the price.
I really, really hate delta. had all kinds of probs with a uniasaw. It would not stay square, had 2 diffrent techs come out and a rep. one or 2 pass thru and it would be off again. went thru 3 arbors. in the end they would not give me my money back, so i sold it.

rerfert
08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Home tools...
Bosch compound slider/miter saw AWESOME
Craftsman metal chop saw/Dewalt blades No complaints yet
Dewalt just about everything else,1/2" drill, saws all, grinders...All get a good work out and are still working good.
Miller Mig welder AWESOME also
Air tools are Craftsman and some harbor freight 1/4" ($10)angle grinders.
I would buy the same brand when they finally take a dump.

Jbb
08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Lubricated.....?

Tom Brown
08-20-2006, 12:17 PM
:D

doesitfloat?
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM
When it comes to the bigger stuff I like powermatic/jet. There are better things out there, but they are 2x the price.
Please don't put Powermatic and Jet in the same category!! Powermatic makes some awesome industrial tools. My table saw "66" is one of the best saws out there.
I agree with you about Delta though I do have a 13" semi-portable planer that works good.
Cordless drills: 2 Dewalts in 15 years, nuff said.
portable table saw: Makita
Circ saw: Skil saw magnesium
Angle drill: Makita (like someone else said...great tool)
Sawzalls: cordless DeWalt...corded Milwaukee
Welder: Lincoln
Demo Hammer: Bosch
Jig saw: Bosch
Air finish nailers: Senco
Air framer: Hitachi
Slide saw: makita 10"
Paint cup gun: Binks (works great for texture too--different needle)
Builders level: Nikon
Routers: Porter Cable
Mech tools: Craftsman

superdave013
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I gotta give credit to my wife for the killer stuff she have bought for me over the years
She got me a sawsall for christmas one year. One of the best persents ever. -Millwalkie: Love it!
Then she hooked me up with a 24v combo pack from Bosh
Cordless drill / Skill saw combo pack: The saw will go through 3/4" ply very nice. The drill is kinda heavy but has the power of one that you would plug in. I chuck up sockets and use it to screw AN fittings together. It works very well and I can do well over 50 -6 fittings on a charge.
Other stuff I've got.
Power snake - Ridged homeowner model. It paid for its self the first time. Good for what I use it for but I don't know if it's up to the task for Pro use. Must have for my old house.
Bench grinders, I have a bunch but the Baldor is the best and the Dayton is second.
Jig saw, I have a Ryobi that just won't die. It was the cheepie and just keeps on going. I used on things it was not intended for before I got the sawsall.
Angle grinders, Black and decker. I have both 4.5" and the big wildcat. They are fine I guess. Lots of hours on both of them.
Belt sanders:
Hand held, Black and decker. It's ok for what it is. It's the ultra cheep O. I shape alum. with it. It's never seen wood.
6" wide floor model. Grizzley brand that I mail ordered. It works fine but I'm not married to it. Another wood tool that's never seen wood. lol
2" wide, I have both a dayton and a Burr King. The Dayton works fine but The Burr King is the king with out question. As it should be for what they cost.
Hammer drill - Bosh: I don't use it enough to give a review one way or the other.

Jim W
08-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I've always wanted to be a slide hammer.....if you bang away long enough, you will get her off!!!!

Trailer Park Casanova
08-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I gotta give credit to my wife for the killer stuff she have bought for me over the years
Power snake - Ridged homeowner model. It paid for its self the first time. Good for what I use it for but I don't know if it's up to the task for Pro use. Must have for my old house.
Starting to see More Ridgid brand stuff on the market.
They're moving outta plumbing stuff into Finish carpentry stuff so I'm told.
Love their aluminum hand wrenches.

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Some of the ridged stuff is "copys" of other models, others are made in the same factorys that make "name brand stuff", for power tools anyways. "husky" lowes brand is the same way.

Tom Brown
08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Bench grinders, I have a bunch but the Baldor is the best and the Dayton is second.
Interesting. I'm in the market for a bench grinder and I have a buddy who carries Baldor. Perhaps I'll check them out.

ROZ
08-20-2006, 10:58 PM
I also use the Skillsaw Mag77.. I put a 19ft cord on it.. damn thing just won't die. I got it at a pawn shop for 80.00...
I have a bosch hammer drill with all it's attatchments that has come in handy more than a few times... It takes the punishment pretty well.
I gotta tell ya, though, like SD I have a Ryobi tool that just won't die.. It's the 18v impact driver. If there is a hex bit for a job, that damn Ryobi is what I use. Blows away almost any screwgun..I've use it over the 18vxp dewalt drill everyday...lol .. It's even fallen from the second story more than once without as much a hiccup. Shit, my bro in law uses it over his Dewalt impact driver as well!
Ryobi Die grinder... DAmn thing won't quit either. I've trimmed a lot of shotcrete with that little thing.. Keeps on ticking...
Hitachi framing nailer
Porter cable brad nailer
Rigid dual tank compressor that runs 3 finish nailers no problem, and without any issues..
BTw, Next time you need tools, check out your local pawn shop. I went there looking for a bass guitar amp, and they stocked tools more than anything else... Skill, Millwake, Bosch, ou name it... great prices too :D
I have to agree on the Porter cable Router, too.
Also agree with whoever recomends the large Dewalt compound mitre saw... We use my bro in laws... Cuts like butta everytime... Well, it has a killer blade on it, too...

YeLLowBoaT
08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
BTw, Next time you need tools, check out your local pawn shop. I went there looking for a bass guitar amp, and they stocked tools more than anything else... Skill, Millwake, Bosch, ou name it... great prices too :D
You know alot of those tools are stolen. The others are from tweakers need anohter fix. :)

ROZ
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
You know alot of those tools are stolen. The others are from tweakers need anohter fix. :)
The shop I went to seemed to be on the up and up.. I don't doubt that some may be, but there are a lot of peeps who just fall on hard times and do whatever they have to do to make their bills.... Some guys go there to buy a specific tool to use for a short time, then sell it back.. More like a long term rental... How it got there in the first place, I don't know. As long as it's got a clean housing, ie no inscription of owner or company, I'm buying...

Riomouse911
08-21-2006, 03:07 AM
Ya, I've seen a few deals at pawn shops, yard sales and swap meets. Pennysaver type ads can also be a boon to the tool shopper for used stuff. I got a Porter Cable 4" plywood circular saw at a yard sale for 30 bucks, and the PC shop in Ontario said they can't keep used ones in stock. (Sells them for $150 bucks I believe) I also got great deals on eBay for some wrenches I wanted but really didn't need all that much.. I saved 50% over retail...
30 seconds worth of advice: If you own tools, or anything of value, plunk down 15 bucks for a craftsman engraver and engrave your driver license number on your stuff (not your Social Security#). Do it with the first two initials of your state and the # sign (looks like CADL # C1234567 in Ca.). No one can ever seem to find your serial numbers when stuff is stolen, but your license number is yours to keep. Should it get boosted, tell the LE taking the report that the Owner Applied Number is CADL#1234567 on each of the tools taken. If there is no serial or OAN on the item, it's almost impossible to enter it as stolen, and very tough to get stuff back. If it just says "Mike B" or whatever, you can't be located as easily. If the DL# is on there and a crook gets stopped, one check and the owner can be found.. and the azz goes to the can for having your stuff when you tell the coppers it's stolen.