PDA

View Full Version : If I want to run Direct TV in my business

Nord
08-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Do I have to order the service as commercial??
I have a retail store in the Village at Orange and want to run CMT on the T.V here. Can I install a dish and bring one of my recievers from home???
What are the legalities??
Thanks
~NORD~

Acommanderguy
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
install your dish and bring a receiver from home.. thats what I did

RitcheyRch
08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I think thats what most do.

Fire Angler
08-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Yep! Get a used receiver & dish from ebay for around $25, get a new card for for Directv for $20 and your in biz. If you get a receiver from Directv, they are now leased to you at a charge of $6 per month, what a ripoff. If you do need a receiver let me know, I have a couple collecting dust.

Nord
08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Yep! Get a used receiver & dish from ebay for around $25, get a new card for for Directv for $20 and your in biz. If you get a receiver from Directv, they are now leased to you at a charge of $6 per month, what a ripoff. If you do need a receiver let me know, I have a couple collecting dust.
So I have to install the dish myself?
Its on the top of a mall roof, so I'll have to check that out.

Fire Angler
08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
There might be a dish or 2 not even in use on the roof. If someone has a single line going to a dish, you might be able just to use the second side of the LNB if they have a double.

Nord
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Nobody in the mall has a dish except for the pizza place which is too far away.
I'd be willing to put an antanna on the roof, but I would have to have someone do it because I don't think they would let me have access to the roof. Maybe I can talk to the maintenance guy though..
hmmmmm
~NORD~

Fire Angler
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
The maintenance guy will have the key. :D

Nord
08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
I'll check it out, but I will definately need the line and the dish for DirectTv
I wonder if anyone here on the boards does this kind of work??
~NORD~

Fire Angler
08-20-2006, 02:31 PM
You can buy the RG-6 cable with the ends already connected in lengths 25', 50', 100' from home depot. Very easy to hook up. Watch city is you Biz in?

Nord
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
You can buy the RG-6 cable with the ends already connected in lengths 25', 50', 100' from home depot. Very easy to hook up. Watch city is you Biz in?
Orange County

Riveratz
08-20-2006, 05:52 PM
You are not supposed to.... but many people do it. So do it and get away with it. They will never be able to find out.

HocusPocus
08-20-2006, 06:19 PM
i dont have a business to run it in.. but for our havasu place i just added an extra box for $5 onto my cali house and set it up there. you shouldn't have a problem.

JetBoatRich
08-20-2006, 06:31 PM
You only get in trouble if you get caught :rolleyes: if the general public can see the TV it could get you in trouble for not having a commercial subscription :rolleyes:
I have plenty of cable if you need any :rolleyes:

77charger
08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
what extra receiver and what other dish??!!!

lakewake
08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Directv has a coded update program. That is why you have to run a phone line to the box. The receiver box calls out every night for critical updates and programing. You can opperate the system without updates for quite a while until it error messages you to death. When new shows come out you won't be able to TIVO because it won't be in the update program. Unless your business is within the same service area you won't be able to update. Most service providers run matching back codes and irregularites are flagged.

Fire Angler
08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Directv has a coded update program. That is why you have to run a phone line to the box. The receiver box calls out every night for critical updates and programing. You can opperate the system without updates for quite a while until it error messages you to death. When new shows come out you won't be able to TIVO because it won't be in the update program. Unless your business is within the same service area you won't be able to update. Most service providers run matching back codes and irregularites are flagged.
For his business, that's why he should get an older receiver. :)

Riveratz
08-21-2006, 06:28 AM
The regular D-11 Receiver doesn't need to be hooked to a phone line. Just tell them it is in an RV. That is what they all do.

HocusPocus
08-21-2006, 07:10 AM
the only one of my 5 boxes i have hooked to a phone line is the one with the tivo, i have never had a problem with error msgs.

a catered life
08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
if this works for you .....you might be in luck i have a brand new direct tv dish you can have for FREE its the DTVP3+DS model which has a intergrated triple lnb and built in mulit switch still in sealed box if it will work for you its yours and ps you only need the phone line hooked up to update your tivo system....i have 4 boxes and mine work fine and i haven't had any phone lines.....the phone line is mainly to assist them with catching pirated systems and maintain some newer systems and running tivo it also makes ordering ppv easier good luck

Tequila-John
08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I say you just do it

Nord
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
if this works for you .....you might be in luck i have a brand new direct tv dish you can have for FREE its the DTVP3+DS model which has a intergrated triple lnb and built in mulit switch still in sealed box if it will work for you its yours and ps you only need the phone line hooked up to update your tivo system....i have 4 boxes and mine work fine and i haven't had any phone lines.....the phone line is mainly to assist them with catching pirated systems and maintain some newer systems and running tivo it also makes ordering ppv easier good luck
Check your Pm's
Will this dish work on older boxes??
Mine are about 4 years old.
~NORD~

Parker Dreamin
08-21-2006, 06:19 PM
dont need phone lines bud.... I have only used them when first hooking up the system to get Tivo dialed in.

Nord
08-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Phone lines are for ordering movies.

lakewake
08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
This couldn't be further from the truth. I have 8 boxes, all on the same account, in two different locations. Among them are an UltimateTV box, two HD boxes and an HD TIVO. I've never had a problem getting updates, recording or viewing a program. But, maybe I haven't tested it thoroughly enough, I mean they've only been hooked up without a phone line for 8 years.
We put in an HD Tivo Box with Plasma system at Christmas last. No phone lines to that area at the time of install. After about 60 days the popups for crital errors drove us crazy. The system at start up prompted to check for new messages. The messages read The system has been trying to update with no connection. After we ran the phone line all the probems with pixelation and screen freezing went away. Don't know which system you have, but that is my story.

ROZ
08-22-2006, 01:41 AM
He's going to need more than 100ft...lol...Quad shield RG6 ;) :D