PDA

View Full Version : Parents Say Children Were Abused At Surf Camp

RitcheyRch
08-20-2006, 08:22 PM
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9700185/detail.html
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Oceanside Harbor Police this week ordered surfing instructors to stop alleged hazing practices, including striking children to give them "pink bellies" and putting them in trash cans according to a report in the North County Times.
The alleged abuse took place at the Oceanside Surf Institute. At least one report of battery involving instructors at the camp has been filed with police, NBC San Diego reported.
Angry parents said that children were also tied to lifeguard towers by instructors.
Alan Hawkshaw said that he signed up his son and daughter to learn how to surf this summer, but the program at the Oceanside Surf Institute was more than he bargained for.
"One of my dreams is paddling out with my kids," Hawkshaw said.
"My daughter is 7 years old. They put her in a trash can and tried to put a lid on it, and then had other kids throwing trash. They held my son down and told him to lick a trash can," Hawkshaw said.
Hawkshaw's son, Kalani, said he won't soon forget the treatment.
"It felt gross," Kalani said. "I started to gag."
"I called a gentleman at the Surf Institute, and I asked him, and he said, yes, it was true and in hindsight it was a dumb thing to do," Hawkshaw said.
The surf camp's Web site includes photos of a child taped to a lifeguard tower and a child in a garbage can. Another image shows a child who had a shaving cream pie thrown at his face. Another photo shows a camper smeared with pizza, and a photo caption on the page reads: "Who wants pizza smashed in their hair?"
Hackshaw said he wants the city to provide oversight for surf camps.
"There need to be regulations," he said. "There need to be background checks. There need to be things done to ensure safety of the children."
Oceanside city officials told NBC San Diego that they are going to start talking about regulating surf camps. They said lifeguards were instructed Thursday to tell the camp operator that this type of activity won't be tolerated, whether the allegations are true or not.
Oceanside Harbor Police Chief Don Hadley said he took action at the Surf Institute camp, located near the north jetty, after hearing Thursday from the mayor and city attorney's office, as well as parents, the newspaper reported.
"We simply told them this has to stop," Hadley told the newspaper.
The camp registers children ages 7 and up.
Attempts by NBC San Diego to contact the surf camp operator by phone and e-mail for comment were unsuccessful.

pixilatedpussy
08-21-2006, 10:45 AM
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Oceanside Harbor Police this week ordered surfing instructors to stop alleged hazing practices, including striking children to give them "pink bellies" and putting them in trash cans according to a report in the North County Times.
The alleged abuse took place at the Oceanside Surf Institute. At least one report of battery involving instructors at the camp has been filed with police, NBC San Diego reported.
Angry parents said that children were also tied to lifeguard towers by instructors.
Alan Hawkshaw said that he signed up his son and daughter to learn how to surf this summer, but the program at the Oceanside Surf Institute was more than he bargained for.
"My daughter is 7 years old. They put her in a trash can and tried to put a lid on it, and then had other kids throwing trash. They held my son down and told him to lick a trash can," Hawkshaw said.
"I called a gentleman at the Surf Institute, and I asked him, and he said, yes, it was true and in hindsight it was a dumb thing to do," Hawkshaw said.
The surf camp's Web site includes photos of a child taped to a lifeguard tower and a child in a garbage can. Another image shows a child who had a shaving cream pie thrown at his face. Another photo shows a camper smeared with pizza, and a photo caption on the page reads: "Who wants pizza smashed in their hair?"
"There need to be regulations," he said. "There need to be background checks. There need to be things done to ensure safety of the children."
Oceanside city officials told NBC San Diego that they are going to start talking about regulating surf camps. They said lifeguards were instructed Thursday to tell the camp operator that this type of activity won't be tolerated, whether the allegations are true or not.
Oceanside Harbor Police Chief Don Hadley said he took action at the Surf Institute camp, located near the north jetty, after hearing Thursday from the mayor and city attorney's office, as well as parents, the newspaper reported.
Attempts by NBC San Diego to contact the surf camp operator by phone and e-mail for comment were unsuccessful.
Copyright 2006 by
:220v: :220v: :mad: :mad: Wow! Thanks for the info!

HocusPocus
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
thats not right at all... wonder how long it will be before the lawsuits start?

Jyruiz
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
WTF is wrong with those people, how can they haze a 7 year old, I hope they do get sued.

racecar.hotshoe
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I guess I must be wierd cause if I seen this my child wouldnt be going there anyway................

RitcheyRch
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Sad to see this type of stuff going on with young children. These kids will need counseling for years.

ratso
08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
How old are the idiots doing this??? :mad:

Ziggy
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Pretty stupid thing to have happen at a kids camp. Sure there's always some ribbing but to carry it this far with supervision is unacceptable.
Goes to show you how ignorant some adults can be that we trust our kids with.... :mad:

Parker Dreamin
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Make sure they dont go to any football camps......

wedge44
08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Make sure they dont go to any football camps......
or boy/girl scout summer camps...or summer camps in general.....or BAND CAMP.....don't let them have any type of hazing fun....that could prepare them for FRAT initiation that my be in the future .....unless these kids are stupid and never going to college or the military.....oh well I'm guess I'm the only one not wanting any more goverment oversight on daily activities.....MY GOD PEOPLE IT"S JUST A LITTLE FUN>>>not like any of the perverted *HIT going on these days.....wedge father of 3

pixilatedpussy
08-21-2006, 03:41 PM
or boy/girl scout summer camps...or summer camps in general.....or BAND CAMP.....don't let them have any type of hazing fun....that could prepare them for FRAT initiation that my be in the future .....unless these kids are stupid and never going to college or the military.....oh well I'm guess I'm the only one not wanting any more goverment oversight on daily activities.....MY GOD PEOPLE IT"S JUST A LITTLE FUN>>>not like any of the perverted *HIT going on these days.....wedge father of 3
You must be joking right??? :rolleyes:

Jyruiz
08-21-2006, 03:54 PM
He must be, I can't see anybody thinking it is just a little fun to put a 7 year old in a trash can, close the lid and trow trash at her. :argue:

pixilatedpussy
08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
He must be, I can't see anybody thinking it is just a little fun to put a 7 year old in a trash can, close the lid and trow trash at her. :argue:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

HM
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I would have no problem sending my kids to this camp. Parker Dreamin touched on it about football camps...this is very mild. Doesn't suprise me that people are upset since we have sports for kids where there are no losers....don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt! God knows we don't have enough government workers who are constantly on the edge of going postal because people are just so darn mean!!!

ratso
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
YOU CAN HAVE SPORTS WITHOUT HAVING TO EMBARASS OR RIDICULE SOMEONE!!! :mad:
Trust me, a few senior dumbasses learned to show this freshman some respect. Anyone that has to attack in a group such as these are doing need to have their asses kicked and their teeth knocked down their throat! :yuk:

h2oski2fast
08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with everyone else, but what about this thought, wouldn't you want to teach your kids to surf yourself?

pixilatedpussy
08-21-2006, 04:51 PM
I would have no problem sending my kids to this camp. Parker Dreamin touched on it about football camps...this is very mild. Doesn't suprise me that people are upset since we have sports for kids where there are no losers....don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt! God knows we don't have enough government workers who are constantly on the edge of going postal because people are just so darn mean!!!
I of all people here...with kids that race MX, play Club Soccer, baseball, football....etc.etc.....dont mind a lil physical sporting event..........but are you F'ing kidding me about the hazing crap??? These are children! I as a parent DO NOT think that it is OK to bully kids around & put them in trash cans or make them lick one for shits and giggles! Read the entire post people! That is F'd up anyway you look at it!

pixilatedpussy
08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I agree with everyone else, but what about this thought, wouldn't you want to teach your kids to surf yourself?
Exactly! We did! My husband had one & I had the other! What a great time they had! They actually tore it up pretty well! We all had a very memorable time.
However, on another note, some peeps dont know how to surf / or swim but would love their kids to learn. So obviously they cant teach their children very well.

Parker Dreamin
08-21-2006, 05:48 PM
That's ridiculous. How could anybody haze a 7 year old girl. If somebody hazed my daughter, I'd beat them like they owed me money. My daughter will never be joining a sororiety either. Those and frats are for followers.
ya, you tell them........

wolfie
08-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Exactly! We did! My husband had one & I had the other! What a great time they had! They actually tore it up pretty well! We all had a very memorable time.
However, on another note, some peeps dont know how to surf / or swim but would love their kids to learn. So obviously they cant teach their children very well.
And some people are too busy to deal with their kids.
It's a fine line between having fun and totally humiliating people. They really went way too far, specially with a 7 year old girl. I think that some sort of apology needs to be made by the camp, and some people need to be held accountable.
That being said, there are too many people that would make something bigger out of something much smaller because their little precious Jimmy had to be "it" playing tag. Because of that, anyone who would do any type of hazing is stupid in this ago of legal battles (the new American lottery).

wedge44
08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
That's ridiculous. How could anybody haze a 7 year old girl. If somebody hazed my daughter, I'd beat them like they owed me money. My daughter will never be joining a sororiety either. Those and frats are for followers.
Shockwave ...sit down with your daughter and talk to her....I'll bet she has been teased at school.....it's the natural predator in the "human animal" ..remember opposable thumbs.....it's what seperates us from them....as for me I'll teach them how not to be the victom/ pacifist in the real world....wedge