PDA

View Full Version : How fast could one of the 350-450hp wake boarding boats go

Sumfoo1
08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
if one were to put a speed prop on it instead of a pulling prop?

sigepmock
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
That's kind of like asking "how big a wake can one of these performance boats put out if you repropped them?" The hulls are designed completely differently. I know some ogf the bigger Xstars and a few others are running the 496/8.1L but the hulls are designed for one thing.....big, smooth, shapped wakes. You could re prop but that really won't give you much. My guess is 55 to 60 mph but it wouldn't be the best ride and who knows how they would handle at that speed, not to mention you'd lose your wakeboarding ability.
I think if speed is your most important priority get a performance boat and add a tower and maybe tabs. With a few phat sacks they can be made to throw out a decent wake, nothing as nice as a wakeboarding boat but I think it is easier to get a performance boat to act like a wakeboard boat than it is to get a wakeboard boat to act like a performance boat.
Just my $.02,
Chris

lakewake
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I think it has more to do with the hull as opposed to the HP. I had a Ski Centurian Barefoot Bowrider with a 200HP Merc. On glass early in the morning I was clocked by GPS at 68 mph. My new Tige with a 350 HP inboard and a completely different hull will only do 46-48.

lakewake
08-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I think it is easier to get a performance boat to act like a wakeboard boat than it is to get a wakeboard boat to act like a performance boat.
Just my $.02,
Chris
Very true statement. :D

Acommanderguy
08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
well to be honest those boats are geared at 1:1 ratio, for low end torque. So to put a "speed" prop really wouldnt do much. The old snager hulls haven't really changed in years. the v-210 is the same hull they ran back in the 80's. Like I said they are geared for low end torque.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm not going to stretch it and say their is a hull speed like with a sail boat.
But their is some relation.
More hp just means more fuel burn with a true wakeboard boat.
350 hp is just about the paradox number.
With more HP ya just get more people bitc#ing about the fuel burn, and ya still only do 48 to 52 mph, and the very few extra MPH from mostly prop tuning.
Honest take.

HM
08-21-2006, 08:20 PM
The prop has some to do with it, but the hull design and strut angle are the biggest factors more than the prop.
The strut angle is the #1 factor.
The bottom design is #2.
The prop is # 3.
on some boats, like the recreational ski sangers, #2 and #3 are much closer.
When the boats get above 40 MPH, they get too much stern lift and force the bow into the water. So, the faster they go, the more wetted surface the boat wants to take on. You can relieve this a little with a high raked prop with no cupping, but it is very marginal...I know, I tried my 2 blade from my flattie on our mastercraft and got a few more MPH - but, my 2 blade was also 2 inches more in pitch while 2 inches smaller in diameter. The same phenomenom happened with any prop is that there was very little speed difference on the last 500 RPM.
And, it is not true that you can make a regular recreation stern drive act like a wake board boat....atleast not to anyone who can do more than jump the wake on a wake board. A big wake is not all that is desired. The shape is as much as important to give smooth transitions. I boarded behind several recreational boats that we made bigger wakes with, put towers on and etc and thought they were great. Then, we started boarding behind a mastercraft and a tige'....and the difference was phenomenal.

squirt'nmyload
08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
a good wakeboarder can wakeboard behind any boat no matter what it is

HM
08-21-2006, 08:31 PM
a good wakeboarder can wakeboard behind any boat no matter what it is
I agree, but what is your point? A good golfer can hit any club....a good baseball player can hit any bat....blah blah blah and the list goes on.
When given the choice, they want what works best.

ratso
08-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I had a buddy of mine with a jetboat that ran 65mph. He put Nitrous on it and ran 67mph... :rolleyes:

Brian Ray
08-21-2006, 09:22 PM
People that buy ski/wakeboard boats don't buy them for top end...if they do they wasted their money. I have a V210 with a 350 Mag. My only concern is can it do between 30mph-36mph and can it pull you out of the water without having to drag the skier. Haven't had any problems yet.....The amount of money it costs to upgrade to the bigger engines is money wasted....at least in a 21 footer. Might be different in the 24 footers but I'm not into having 10-12 people on my boat...I just need a driver, flagger, and a skier. :)
If you want speed buy a performance boat....
As someone said earlier.....the faster you go in these types of boats the more they tend to sit in the water or "ride wet."
Do like the fact that I can do a 90 degree turn at full speed and not worry about the boat coming out of the water. :rollside: :rollside:
Oh, fastest I've gone is 46mph (5500rpm)......but I didn't buy the boat to haul a$$. ;)

deltaAce
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I hear that removing the sound system equipment is good for a 6 mph increase, as well as slightly improved hole-shot! :)

YeLLowBoaT
08-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I hear that removing the sound system equipment is good for a 6 mph increase, as well as slightly improved hole-shot! :)
oh so you mean its like a DCB then?

RitcheyRch
08-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Can get a few more mph by removing that huge rollbar.

HocusPocus
08-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Last time at the LA boat show the wife and i checked out the ski boats, i think most all of them had a top speed in the high 40's to low 50's. I don't remember seeing any of them that ran 60 from the factory.

rrrr
08-22-2006, 06:31 AM
I had a buddy of mine with a jetboat that ran 65mph. He put Nitrous on it and ran 67mph... :rolleyes:
LMAO!!! :crossx:

NautiTwins
08-22-2006, 06:44 AM
45-48 MPH. If I changed to a 3 blade it would increase by exactly 2 mph, and I lose the ability to pull a skier out. My buddy has the same boat as I do and he sees 50 mph. Both these boats are 99 and a 98 Pro Air Nautiques.
They are not built for speed and even at the speeds above unless on glassy water handle very poorly. The back end lifts and lose the tracking ability. Most tourney boats except for Tige build hook into the hulls, so at high speeds they are not very safe.

NautiTwins
08-22-2006, 06:45 AM
This is not true. As said above, these boats are built with a one to one ratio. Weight is not an issue.

bilgewiper
08-22-2006, 07:41 AM
On a old Mastercraft that I had, I pulled the 13x13 off and tried a old non cupped 12x17 that I had around. Less out of the hole. Seemed like cruising speed at 3600rpm was about 10mph faster but at about 4000 rpm it just completly blew out and I had to almost come to a complete stop before it would quit cavitating. I then rebuilt the 351 using big valve heads, a bigger cam, carb etc. It would then could pull a little over 5000rpm with same 13x13. I also owned a '65 Keaton direct drive with 429 Cadillac that could run mid 50's but it was scary at those speeds. If you want to go fast, buy a go-fast boat. Trying to make a directdrive fast is a total waste in my opinion.

HM
08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Trying to make a directdrive fast is a total waste in my opinion.
Unless it is a Cracker Box!

Riomouse911
08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
I ran the stock 3 blade 13"/16 prop on my old 91 Nautique until I loaded it with concrete, lead shot and waterbed tubes for big wakes. I switched to a 4 blade 14"/15.5 and it improved the take off under weight, but slowed down about 5 mph from the already anemic 50 mph top speed... My 04 Super Air has the stock 4 blade 13.5"/17.5 prop and even under ballast it works great, and hits in the 50-52 MPH range..
If you wanna go fast, buy a go-fast boat. I love watching the KROOZIN clips at 150 +, those are insane! But my family (and friends) like to ride/ski/tube on our infrequent weekend getaways, so we have the ski/board boat. Oh, and it's not just the wake thats made by the boat (though it's a reason) that makes tournament boats so different. It's the ability to hold a constant speed and a straight line for the rider, especially when you're loading the line out to the sides, that sets these boats apart from the sport/performance boats. It doesn't matter how good a driver you are, it truly is almost impossible to do these things with an I/O or outboard or jet when pulling a rider with some weight or decent loading ability. Not because sport/performance boats aren't bad ass, and certainly not because ski/wake drivers are any better than any other driver, it's simply because ski/wake boats are made to do those things better than any other boat.
And yes, you can wakeboard (or ski) behind ANY boat if you want to, hell I once watched a 6'6" friend while he double skiied behind a 20' birch and canvas canoe powered with a 5 hp outboard in salt water once... he got a few laughs, but it can be done. :boxed:

Sumfoo1
08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
thanks for all of the replys i guess what i need to do is get a big bowrider and put a rack on it..
i really just love the water
i love to do everything on it
from deep sea fishing to hauling ass to spending the thing on it
to tubing skiing wakeboarding knee boarding and even hit up the air chair from time to time the thing is there really isn't a boat that can do all of that well... i pretty much need 3 boats... a fisher, a wakeboard, and an asshauling but thats not really possible.
i'm really stumped on what i want.

ratso
08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
thanks for all of the replys i guess what i need to do is get a big bowrider and put a rack on it..
i really just love the water
i love to do everything on it
from deep sea fishing to hauling ass to spending the thing on it
to tubing skiing wakeboarding knee boarding and even hit up the air chair from time to time the thing is there really isn't a boat that can do all of that well... i pretty much need 3 boats... a fisher, a wakeboard, and an asshauling but thats not really possible.
i'm really stumped on what i want.
I'm sure it's different here than the West coast, but we install quite a few towers on Ski Boats and Runabouts.

Brian Ray
08-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm sure it's different here than the West coast, but we install quite a few towers on Ski Boats and Runabouts.
At our Boat & R.V. show this past year I saw fishing boats with towers on them...heck you can even get flip up flat screen t.v.'s on your fishing boat too. I guess fishermen need their bling too. :)