PDA

View Full Version : Another Service Question.......

Ultracrazy
08-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Trying to squeeze one more trip before my service....
I have a 496 HO that was serviced at 20 hours...........it now has 64 hours.......am I safe? Or do I need to cancel the trip and call it a summer.
Thanks.

Jyruiz
08-22-2006, 06:50 AM
I think it depends on who did the 20 hour service, if they did a complete 20 hour service, then you can get another trip out. Some places don't always go thru the boat like they are suppose to at 20 hours.

phebus
08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
There is no way in the world I would ever cancel a trip because I had 44 hrs without a service. Check all fluids, and make sure they are good, and drive it like you stole it.

JB in so cal
08-22-2006, 06:54 AM
There is no way in the world I would ever cancel a trip because I had 44 hrs without a service. Check all fluids, and make sure they are good, and drive it like you stole it.
you rebel.

phebus
08-22-2006, 06:57 AM
you rebel.
Are you still out here in Havasu? Gotta love the calm windless days. Ran down to the Springs late in the day yesterday. Beautifull. Topock for lunch today.

Ultracrazy
08-22-2006, 07:10 AM
I think it depends on who did the 20 hour service, if they did a complete 20 hour service, then you can get another trip out. Some places don't always go thru the boat like they are suppose to at 20 hours.
Ultra ( Tom Papp) did the service.......feel pretty confident about them doing the service. Then took it to Quality Marine in Corona for some warranty work. They changed the engine oil (it had all leaked out because of an issue with a broken line). So I think I'm good Si?

voodoomedman
08-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Trying to squeeze one more trip before my service....
I have a 496 HO that was serviced at 20 hours...........it now has 64 hours.......am I safe? Or do I need to cancel the trip and call it a summer.
Thanks.
Your fine. I had absolute look at it at like 28 hours and then again at 70 something. Basically they get every winter. But he actually told me the first time to come back around 70 because that is when the impeller would need to be changed.

phebus
08-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Seriously, no problem. 44 hours is nothing.

Ultracrazy
08-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Seriously, no problem. 44 hours is nothing.
Cool..............trip is on and if you see me next Monday on Havasu.......you better tow me in :220v:

Dave C
08-22-2006, 07:31 AM
just check and top off all the fluids, engine oil, coolant, drive oil, etc..... you should be OK. You won't screw anything up unless the boats runs out of one these vital fluids.
The only thing that really needs to be changed on a regular basis is the drive oil. It only takes a few minutes. See if you can find someone in Havazoo to do it one morning. But don't worry about it too much.
Don't cancel your vacation.....

centerhill condor
08-22-2006, 08:08 AM
bust out another thousand.
why does the gear oil need replacing so frequently?

Dave C
08-22-2006, 08:36 AM
cuz it gets f-ing hot in there :sqeyes: ..... especially when you run it hard. Heat breaks down oil.
also those stupid gears spit off some funky ass coating over time (i'm told thats "normal" :rolleyes: ). Oil needs to be replaced often to get that stuff out.

centerhill condor
08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
thanks, yea, I saw an ad for a "drive shower"... never thought that the drive system could get that hot...its in the water. wow!

Dave C
08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
get the drive shower.
the top of the drive is high and dry while underway as is most of the drive. the top cap gets very hot when run hot.

Ultracrazy
08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
get the drive shower.
the top of the drive is high and dry while underway as is most of the drive. the top cap gets very hot when run hot.
I have a drive shower...........Thanks for all the info.

SnakeWrench
08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
OOOOOOOOOO! I'm tellin Merc on you! Don't listen to Phebus, He's never serviced his boat, What is it, 600 hrs on the last oil change Pheb??
LOL

phebus
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
OOOOOOOOOO! I'm tellin Merc on you! Don't listen to Phebus, He's never serviced his boat, What is it, 600 hrs on the last oil change Pheb??
LOL
That's not true. I change the oil often, because Throttle is always asking me for used oil. He thinks experienced oil makes his boat quicker. :rollside: