PDA

View Full Version : alternator for my flatbottom

ss wannabe
04-12-2002, 08:42 AM
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I've heard somebody makes a kit to install an alternator with a flat-belt drive that hangs below the headers on the non-starter side. This would work great with a front-drive setup like on my ss-type flatty. Anyone know where this kit is available? Does Jones Marine mean anything to you?

Thunderbutt
04-12-2002, 04:05 PM
I have a v-drive Spectra. I installed the alternator to run off of the drive line. I had Lenard at Finish line Eng. make a clamp pully that fit the drive line and bolted the Alt. to the stringer. Simple but it works and you can't see it. Originally posted by ss wannabe:
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I've heard somebody makes a kit to install an alternator with a flat-belt drive that hangs below the headers on the non-starter side. This would work great with a front-drive setup like on my ss-type flatty. Anyone know where this kit is available? Does Jones Marine mean anything to you?

boatguy222
04-12-2002, 06:26 PM
You have mail

Fired Up
04-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Doesn't someone make a mount that attaches the alternator shaft directly to the vibration damper eliminating pulleys and belts?

blownschiada
04-12-2002, 09:38 PM
I used to run one like you are looking for on my blown Hondo runner.I think it came from Rex Marine.If not check with bergeron marine in AZ.

Fired Up
04-14-2002, 11:51 AM
I found the alternator mount in a very old Rex Marine catalog. Does anyone know their web site address. I tried Rex Marine .com and only found some site for salt water boats. Is there another address for their performance parts?

Oldsquirt
04-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Fired Up, its http://www.rexmar.com
Unfortunately its just a listing of what they carry, not an online catalog.
[This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited April 14, 2002).]

spectras only
04-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Fired up, I have my alternator [original Motorola unit]mounted directly to the damper via aluminum dogs with rubber cushion between.It could be a Nicson unit,[out of business long time ago]no name stamped on it.Glenwood may have this item as well as Rex marine.Give them a call.

Thunderbutt
04-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Attila, Does Motorola build good alternators or what? I've only had mine for 31 years. What a deal. Originally posted by spectras only:
Fired up, I have my alternator [original Motorola unit]mounted directly to the damper via aluminum dogs with rubber cushion between.It could be a Nicson unit,[out of business long time ago]no name stamped on it.Glenwood may have this item as well as Rex marine.Give them a call.

spectras only
04-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Yes Jim,it's pretty reliable.The motorola unit has less output than the newer alt's ,but I have dual batt's in the 24 spectra .Motorola built the optional stereo casette player microphone/recorder wich I had in my72 Challenger.Had that car for 8 yrs ,never any problem with the player and lots of fun recording unsuspecting friend's conversations.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 14, 2002).]

Fired Up
04-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Spectras Only, maybe I'm reversed on this. If you have your alternator mounted to the block and driven by a belt/pulley system it spins in a clockwise rotation. When you attach it to the damper isn't it turned around spinning in the opposite direction?

Snowboat
04-15-2002, 02:00 AM
Your alternator will work in either direction. If it is reverse rotation, a reverse cooling fan should be installed, $10.00

ss wannabe
04-15-2002, 07:16 AM
thanks for the help. i don't have room to attach it directly, because my stack fuel tanks are in the way. belt setup will work, but i need a bracket that will attach to the back of my motor with my existing motor plate. i also have an adaptor that houses my flywheel, so theres a couple places to attach to.