PDA

View Full Version : BoatCop: Carrying Loaded Firearms in vehicle, in AZ:

Trailer Park Casanova
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Get all kinds of opinions. Rumors really.
What is consider a loaded weapon? Magazine in the glovebox and the weapon in the purse or backpax?
Can someone have a loaded pistol in their car or truck in AZ?:
Are the laws concerning shotguns different than rifles & different than pistols?

NautiTwins
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Get all kinds of opinions.
What is consider loaded?
LOL. Under the seat, loaded? Hell you can walk into McDonalds with it holstered.

Boatcop
08-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Unless you have a Concealed Weapon Permit, you cannot carry a deadly weapon concealed.
As far as a vehicle is concerned, you can legally carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it is in a holster, scabbard, glove compartment, suitcase, map pocket, etc. A weapon is only considered concealed in a vehicle if it is not contained as above. In other words, if it is loose and not visible. There's no difference between loaded or unloaded.
However, if you have it in a holster on your body, and it or the holster is not visible, it is considered concealed.

riverbound
08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Unless you have a Concealed Weapon Permit, you cannot carry a deadly weapon concealed.
As far as a vehicle is concerned, you can legally carry a handgun in a vehicle as long as it is in a holster, scabbard, glove compartment, suitcase, map pocket, etc. A weapon is only considered concealed in a vehicle if it is not contained as above. In other words, if it is loose and not visible. There's no difference between loaded or unloaded.
However, if you have it in a holster on your body, and it or the holster is not visible, it is considered concealed.
What about loaded in center console?
<--- asking for a "friend" of course ;)

chub
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
What's a scabbard? So in the glove box of the Rhino is okay?

VanDeano
08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Does this law apply to boats too? Actually what is the law for carrying a weapon on a boat? Is the law different if your out in the ocean opposed to being on a lake?

Captain Dan
08-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Does this law apply to boats too? Actually what is the law for carrying a weapon on a boat? Is the law different if your out in the ocean opposed to being on a lake?
Probably need a few good earthquakes before AZ law applies on the ocean... :)

HM
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
12 g flare gun. Game over.

SCR INC
08-22-2006, 11:56 AM
So loaded in the glove box is a go or not... That sounds concealed to me.. Use of force.. Shot a person for threating your you or your family with intent to do harm.. Were do you cross the line..

DelawareDave
08-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Been a few years for me, but if I remember correctly, it must be in a holster in your car, or on your person. You can't just stick it in your waistband without a holster. Some part of the holster or weapon must be visible, on your person.

DelawareDave
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Boatcop- can you run a serial # to see if a stolen firearm has been recovered?

Powerquestboy
08-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Like boatcop said loaded or unloaded does not matter. I have a cop friend that says "it must be in a compartment within a compartment" Holster = compartment, Glove box = compartment. If its under a seat thats not a compartment = illegal. If you want to be safe and legal just load it and put it on your dash board in plain view = legal. I've had cops tell me they wont even ask about it if they see it on the dash.

NautiTwins
08-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Like boatcop said loaded or unloaded does not matter. I have a cop friend that says "it must be in a compartment within a compartment" Holster = compartment, Glove box = compartment. If its under a seat thats not a compartment = illegal. If you want to be safe and legal just load it and put it on your dash board in plain view = legal. I've had cops tell me they wont even ask about it if they see it on the dash.
Yep. Had a loaded gun laying on the back seat while coming home from a trip up on the rim and the just told the cop as he approached the window. He said thanks, wrote me the ticket and I was on my way. Ticket was for speeding.

seanv
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
i roll window down, put both hands out window and when they get up i let them know what type weapon,loaded,in holster and location. every time they ask to see it. i hand it out grip first. the go to their cruiser and come back a few minutes later. 99% of the time with a great attitude and a verbal warning to slow down or whatever. they then thank me for the way i handled myself and off we go.
show them respect and its amazing how they treat you.

Danhercules
08-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Imagine that. Wish more would do the same when they get a ticket. 99.99999% you did derserve the ticket.

Dave C
08-22-2006, 01:12 PM
except of course if you live in Cali and the mere fact that you own a gun or know someone who does is grounds for immediate "repudiation"....

NautiTwins
08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
except of course if you live in Cali and the mere fact that you own a gun or know someone who does is grounds for immediate "repudiation"....
Just yet another reason not to live there. The NRA and the tree huggers should make for an intersting dinner.

lucky
08-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Get all kinds of opinions. Rumors really.
What is consider a loaded weapon? Magazine in the glovebox and the weapon in the purse or backpax?
Are the laws concerning shotguns different than rifles & different than pistols?
for me , Id have to say it's my penis - dat bastard is ready to shoot one off at any time - hair trigger i tell ya

cdog
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
i roll window down, put both hands out window and when they get up i let them know what type weapon,loaded,in holster and location. every time they ask to see it. i hand it out grip first. the go to their cruiser and come back a few minutes later. 99% of the time with a great attitude and a verbal warning to slow down or whatever. they then thank me for the way i handled myself and off we go.
That's the way I was taught in my CCW class. :)

Boatcop
08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Boatcop- can you run a serial # to see if a stolen firearm has been recovered?
Sorry. No can do.
When a stolen item (car, gun, boat, etc.) is run through NCIC, it automatically notifies the reporting agency. And then we'd be getting all kinds of phone calls and/or teletypes from the Agency that originally reported it stolen.
Besides, it's a Federal Crime to use that system for non-Law Enforcement Purposes. It would get me in a world of stink.
Best just to call the Agency it was reported stolen to, and see if there's any update or recovery.