PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brown or any other website peeps - Question for you

C-2
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
If there is a RAID failure, does it wipe out a website domain?
There is another website I follow which disappeared. The owners said they had a RAID failure, but cannot put up a simple webpage telling users the website is gone for good.
Wouldn't they be able to start from scratch and build a simple page? They are claiming they can't do it, they 'lost" everything. They still own the domain name.
BS or possible to be dead in the water?

572Daytona
08-22-2006, 09:30 AM
If the server where the website was being hosted is down or messed up to the point where the web server can't start, you wouldn't be able to put up even a simple page unless you moved it to a different server/hosting provider which could take some time to do. If they are expecting the original server to be back up soon, they would probably be better of just waiting on it.
Edit, it doesn't wipe out the domain, but the domain is still pointing to the failed server.

It's all Good
08-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Depends on the RAID configuration. If it is RAID-0, striped, and they had a failure without a backup they would lose everything. Most other RAID configurations provide some ability to protect the data either mirrored or striping with parity, and can be rebuilt when the bad drive is replaced. If multiple drives fail it could be really ugly.
It should be easy enough to get a simple home page up with some sort of message.

C-2
08-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys.
Say for example, their host is godaddy.
As long as they have a valid website domain and host, the fact they lost all their data/program files is irrelevant?
Correct?

572Daytona
08-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by irrevelant, It's not trivial to loose all of your content, hopefully they have a backup somewhere. Godaddy just provides domain registration, they register the domain name for you and point it to a web server/provider of your choice. It sounds like godaddy is still pointing to the server that had the raid failure.

C-2
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by irrevelant, It's not trivial to loose all of your content, hopefully they have a backup somewhere. Godaddy just provides domain registration, they register the domain name for you and point it to a web server/provider of your choice. It sounds like godaddy is still pointing to the server that had the raid failure.
I think they must have had a physical server which got screwed up, which is understandable.
What I don't understand is - if they own the domain name, couldn't they have a host like godaddy host their site; build a quick page and put it up.
The fact they had their own server is irrelevant in the sense they could use a web-based host like godaddy?
Do I understand any of this stuff correctly?
Thanks for your patience :)

Riverless
08-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Godaddy just provides domain registration
Just an fyi...Godaddy also offers hosting services.

C-2
08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Specifically, I questioned them about putting up a redirect page, or simple webpage saying the website is gone forever. Their response is:
It would have been simple except that since there was a raid failure there was nothing left to put a page on.
Too me, it doesn't make sense.

Riverless
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
It would make sense if all they have is one server and all the drives have failed.
If they are using a company like Godaddy, then Godaddy should be able to move their website to another server and Godaddy should have a backup of their files.

572Daytona
08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
They would have to pay money to have someone else host it, and if that's not where they want to go long term it probably isn't worth it. It also takes a day or two for a domain change to propagate everywhere and then it would take that same amount of time again to change it again when they get their server back. So if they are only expecting a short down time until their server gets fixed it might not be worth it.

C-2
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I think they are under a restraining order but won't fess up to it.
They keep claiming complete hardware failure, which doesn't make sense since if they own the domain, they could have it transferred to another host and build a simple little page. Unless, of course, they are locked out.
Hmmm, looking at their registration kind of supports my theory:
Domain Name: ************
Registrar: COMMUNIGAL COMMUNICATIONS LTD
Whois Server: whois.communigal.net
Referral URL: http://www.galcomm.com
Name Server: NS1.FWD.CO.IL
Name Server: NS2.FWD.CO.IL
Updated Date: 30-jan-2006
Creation Date: 24-jun-2003
Expiration Date: 24-jun-2011

572Daytona
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Registrar lock means just means that the domain info can't be transfered to another registrant unless you unlock it first. It's just a way to prevent it being transferred without your knowledge. It looks like the are being hosted by an Israeli web hosing provider, WWW.FWD.CO.IL, but I don't get anything at that page either. So maybe it's their name server that is actually down or crashed which would affect all their hosted websites. Or maybe they got hit by a stray Katusha rocket :)

C-2
08-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Not to beat this thing to death, but if I understand correctly, they could use a different host to get back online?

Tom Brown
08-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Not to beat this thing to death, but if I understand correctly, they could use a different host to get back online?
It might be almost that easy but there are some legistics. They could probably have their domain name vendor redirect their domain to another provider but it could easily take a couple of days before the changes propagate through the Internet. Then, when they get the site going again, it will take another period of time to restore the original address.
It could be faster to just leave it dark for a couple of days while they get a new hard disk in.
In most modes, RAID provides some redundancy. That's what the 'R' stands for. In a server, RAID is generally configured so that a disk can blow up and it will keep on running.
If they're running RAID 0 or JBOD, they aren't providing a professional service. It could be their RAID controller went bad, though. In this case, the data could be unreadable until they replace it with an identical controller.

Jbb
08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
It might be almost that easy but there are some legistics. They could probably have their domain name vendor redirect their domain to another provider but it could easily take a couple of days before the changes propagate through the Internet. Then, when they get the site going again, it will take another period of time to restore the original address.
It could be faster to just leave it dark for a couple of days while they get a new hard disk in.
In most modes, RAID provides some redundancy. That's what the 'R' stands for. In a server, RAID is generally configured so that a disk can blow up and it will keep on running.
If they're running RAID 0 or JBOD, they aren't providing a professional service. It could be their RAID controller went bad, though. In this case, the data could be unreadable until they replace it with an identical controller.
legistics....?lol......Kanatard.... :rollside:

C-2
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys.
Their site has been down for months and isn't coming back anytime soon!
I just wanted to be sure my guess was correct before I called their bluff.
Thanks again :)

Tom Brown
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
That's how we spell it in Kanada.

Tom Brown
08-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Their site has been down for months and isn't coming back anytime soon!
This is an important piece of information that was not provided earlier. As a fellow web site host, let me give you a little insight.
Your web site is/was being run by crystal meth tweakers. Leave your purse locked in the trunk of your car when you go to see them. When you ask to have your web site restored, clumsily pull a bottle of Sudafed pills out of your pocket and pretend to drop it on the floor. This will get the ball rolling in your direction.

Jbb
08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
This is an important piece of information that was not provided earlier. As a fellow web site host, let me give you a little insight.
Your web site is/was being run by crystal meth tweakers. Leave your purse locked in the trunk of your car when you go to see them. When you ask to have your web site restored, clumsily pull a bottle of Sudafed pills out of your pocket and pretend to drop it on the floor. This will get the ball rolling in your direction.
That Brown is down with the sickness...... :p

C-2
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside: