PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who frequent Lake Mojave

Wizard29
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Where do you usually stay/launch from? Not to advertise Mojave because I'd hate to see it like Havasu, but I'm curious to know who here I share the water with.
We have a place at Cottonwood and try to be there almost every other weekend.

DILLIGAF
08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Where do you usually stay/launch from? Not to advertise Mojave because I'd hate to see it like Havasu, but I'm curious to know who here I share the water with.
I am there quite a bit. I have a slip at Katherines so the launching/retrieving nightmare does not apply to me personally. If I had to launch/retrieve everyday I wouldn't deal with that shit. I have a home in BHC and of course that is where I stay. One of these days maybe we can run the lake together. I have a Shockwave 29 so running thru the basin isn't a problem usually unless of course it is a very, very bad day.

cxr133
08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
we have been going to Mohave on the 2 major summer holidays for like 5 years now. we usually stay at the hotels in laughlin and trailer in everyday. It can be a nightmare.. over an hour wait to get off the lake..... at the end of the day. But what can you do about it really? last year i ran outta gas in the truck after waiting so long.
we are thinking about looking at some mobile homes/houses up there.. what city is cottonwood cove in???
dilligaf: i am going w/ friends this year w/ jetskis how safe do you think it would be to leave my boat on the lake each night so i dont have to launch and retrieve every day??

Wizard29
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Cottonwood technically qualifies as Searchlight, but it's a fair distance away. At least our mailing address at the house is Searchlight and we are within walking distance of the water.
There is a long waiting list for getting a place at Cottonwood since there are only so many to go around. Our friends want to buy one, and they have been on the waiting list for about two years now.

cxr133
08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Cottonwood technically qualifies as Searchlight, but it's a fair distance away. At least our mailing address at the house is Searchlight and we are within walking distance of the water.
There is a long waiting list for getting a place at Cottonwood since there are only so many to go around. Our friends want to buy one, and they have been on the waiting list for about two years now.
thanks is there a website or a keyword for a yahoo real estate search that i could lookup to see pics of the housing there close to the water??

CBLavey
08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
We usually launch early at Katherines and stay at our home in BHC. :)

DILLIGAF
08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
dilligaf: i am going w/ friends this year w/ jetskis how safe do you think it would be to leave my boat on the lake each night so i dont have to launch and retrieve every day??
I have seen and heard other people do this. When you make the L turn to go to KL the little beach area directly below is where I have seen people leave boats. I would never leave it there due to easy access from people just walking down and messing with it. They only way I would consider it would be if it was a cove somewhat a distance away from Katherines up/North on the lake probably on the Nevada side. I also would not leave the cove until nighttime. If you leave too early I would be concerned about someone messing with the boat just going in/out of coves. I doubt if many people go into any deep coves at night. If it is exposed you might have someone coming by at night and taking what they want. Why not just stay overnight on the boat?
I may be out but don't know if I want to take my boat out. I don't have anybody lined up to come out and on a major holiday (Labor Day) it isn't the time to take the boat out by yourself.

cxr133
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I have seen and heard other people do this. When you make the L turn to go to KL the little beach area directly below is where I have seen people leave boats. I would never leave it there due to easy access from people just walking down and messing with it. They only way I would consider it would be if it was a cove somewhat a distance away from Katherines up/North on the lake probably on the Nevada side. I also would not leave the cove until nighttime. If you leave too early I would be concerned about someone messing with the boat just going in/out of coves. I doubt if many people go into any deep coves at night. If it is exposed you might have someone coming by at night and taking what they want. Why not just stay overnight on the boat?
I may be out but don't know if I want to take my boat out. I don't have anybody lined up to come out and on a major holiday (Labor Day) it isn't the time to take the boat out by yourself.
thanks.... im calling DIBS on your slip.
we dont think the baby (15months) is up to camping overnight quite yet.
me the old lady and the baby will be up there from monday the 28th.. until labor day. but come fri....sat.... and sun..... we are going to be like those people that fit 25 people in a volkwagon.. you know the ones that are from over the border.... :crossx: LOL got lots of friends coming up w/ kids on the weekend w/o boats!! so im gonna be frickin TAXI all weekend. thats why the wifie and me are coming in the week to spend quality quit time

Wizard29
08-23-2006, 06:35 AM
thanks is there a website or a keyword for a yahoo real estate search that i could lookup to see pics of the housing there close to the water??
No website for that stuff I am aware of. There is one for the Cottonwood Cove resort, but that has nothing to do with the places up there. We call where we are trailer village. It is basically a bunch of mobile homes more or less put there permanently set up in grid fashion. Being a National Preserve, that's all they are allowing to be there at this time as far as actual residences go, so that's why there is a waiting list. To be honest, we are fine with that because it keeps the attendance numbers down. Other than the camping area or the Cottonwood Cove motel (booked more than a year in advance) people really have nowhere to stay.
Dilligaf, we will be out there for Labor Day weekend. Maybe we will see you. One place we like to go is towards the south opening of the basin. There is a nice cove down there on the east side of the lake. I'd guess it is about halfway in between Katherine's and Cottonwood. In the middle of the cove, there is a medium size rock that sticks out of the water by itself. People like to climb up and jump off of it. The cove also has tall canyon walls that are good shelter from the wind when it comes up.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Dilligaf, we will be out there for Labor Day weekend. Maybe we will see you. One place we like to go is towards the south opening of the basin. There is a nice cove down there on the east side of the lake. I'd guess it is about halfway in between Katherine's and Cottonwood. In the middle of the cove, there is a medium size rock that sticks out of the water by itself. People like to climb up and jump off of it. The cove also has tall canyon walls that are good shelter from the wind when it comes up.
I believe you are maybe talking about Cactus Cove. It is 1 cove South of the 12 mile marker. It is usually more family oriented and good for kicking back. I was in there Saturday and when I pulled up my anchor I had a lot of grass on it. It is a mofo picking it up and clearing all that grass :( You can of course go to the extreme back of the cove and beach but I do not like to beach my boat.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
thanks.... im calling DIBS on your slip.
we dont think the baby (15months) is up to camping overnight quite yet.
me the old lady and the baby will be up there from monday the 28th.. until labor day. but come fri....sat.... and sun..... we are going to be like those people that fit 25 people in a volkwagon.. you know the ones that are from over the border.... :crossx: LOL got lots of friends coming up w/ kids on the weekend w/o boats!! so im gonna be frickin TAXI all weekend. thats why the wifie and me are coming in the week to spend quality quit time
DIBS.....lol
I know the taxi routine myself and it sucks :( I had a family reunion out there this past spring and I scheduled runs in my boat for everybody. The last trip out took a little longer than expected :). I needed some down time out on the lake.

catman-do
08-23-2006, 08:49 AM
We did this trip this past weekend. We stayed at the Ramada Express (fairly decent hotel, especially for the price). I personally will never do this trip again because we store our boat in havasu and its a major pain in the ass to drive to laughlin on night (4 hours). Then next morning drive from laughlin to havasu and back to pick up the boat (another 2 hours). From laughlin to cottonwood and back (another 1hour 45 minutes) and back to havasu to put the boat back the next day. waaaayyyy to much driving for me, and it didnt seem like people were as friendly on that lake. We pulled into a couple of coves and everyone on the beach would stand there like we were invading their turf. Atleast in Havasu people are used to the crowds and kinda expect someone else to show up and usually will end up having drinks and playing games with you... (forgot to mention, i dont have a family.... so i dont worry about seeing some of the stuff that goes on in havasu)

Jesster
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
we have been going to Mohave on the 2 major summer holidays for like 5 years now. we usually stay at the hotels in laughlin and trailer in everyday. It can be a nightmare.. over an hour wait to get off the lake..... at the end of the day. But what can you do about it really? last year i ran outta gas in the truck after waiting so long.
we are thinking about looking at some mobile homes/houses up there.. what city is cottonwood cove in???
If you are going to be there that long you could sign up for a slip at Katherines in the store. I can't remember but I think they draw for them on the weekends (or it might be 1st come) but you shouldnt have a problem getting one during the week, we have gotten them in the past and once you have them you can keep them through the weekends I think. DILLIGAF would probably know more, but I know we have gotten them in the past. Make sure you remove all valuables at night, we had a nice slalom ski stolen out of the boat last year.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
If you are going to be there that long you could sign up for a slip at Katherines in the store. I can't remember but I think they draw for them on the weekends (or it might be 1st come) but you shouldnt have a problem getting one during the week, we have gotten them in the past and once you have them you can keep them through the weekends I think. DILLIGAF would probably know more, but I know we have gotten them in the past. Make sure you remove all valuables at night, we had a nice slalom ski stolen out of the boat last year.
You are correct about the slips Jesster. He should try to get one as soon as he gets out there. If you only need a 20 foot slip you have a much better chance to get one as the larger slips are limited moreso. The only thing that could mess it up as far as having it thru the weekend would be if storage customers or hotel guests have reservations that have the slips filled up as they take priority as far as reservations. If you are not a storage or hotel guest it is first come first served. They should be able to tell you this when you get the slip intially.
Good luck!

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 11:03 AM
We did this trip this past weekend. We stayed at the Ramada Express (fairly decent hotel, especially for the price). I personally will never do this trip again because we store our boat in havasu and its a major pain in the ass to drive to laughlin on night (4 hours). Then next morning drive from laughlin to havasu and back to pick up the boat (another 2 hours). From laughlin to cottonwood and back (another 1hour 45 minutes) and back to havasu to put the boat back the next day. waaaayyyy to much driving for me, and it didnt seem like people were as friendly on that lake. We pulled into a couple of coves and everyone on the beach would stand there like we were invading their turf. Atleast in Havasu people are used to the crowds and kinda expect someone else to show up and usually will end up having drinks and playing games with you... (forgot to mention, i dont have a family.... so i dont worry about seeing some of the stuff that goes on in havasu)
I hear you. That is exactly why I don't make Havasu much anymore. Just doesn't make sense to me due to having a slip at Katherines. The crowds are definitly different at Mohave -vs- Havasu. Less people walking around looking for fights...that's for sure :)

Debbolas
08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
F Mojave
:D
If you buy a hotel room, I believe you get a slip. We are not slip worthy at the moment,but have a trailer at Katherines.
If you get on the water before 9am and off before 3pm, the line isn't so bad. From the trailer entrance to the lake is about 1/2 hour.
Last month we talked to some people who drive from BHC to Cottonwood to launch because they hate the Katherines Launch Line so bad, of course it was a holiday weekend....those are the worst! Last Memorial the line was past the ranger station :rolleyes:
I have noticed that no one waves to other boats on Mojave...it's weird....and jet skies try to drive into your boat, but that happens everywhere, I guess....
IMO Park Moabi is a lot friendly-er
We were thinking about Cottonwood Mobil Homes, so there is a waiting list? How much do those puppies go for?
:D

Wizard29
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
The crowds are definitly different at Mohave -vs- Havasu. Less people walking around looking for fights...that's for sure :)
.....Which is why I said I'd hate to see the place end up like Havasu. The people are a bit different. More of the family type, I guess. My fiancee and I hate crowds and crowded water so it works for us. Other people there hate crowds too, so that may be why they look at other people coming into their coves as "intruders." We don't really. We just hate it when the "intruders" spoil the atmosphere by playing their music as loud as possible, yelling, and just generally become disruptive.
Debbolas, I wasn't really involved too much in buying our place, so I'm not sure how you get on the waiting list for Cottonwood. I think these days those places are going for anywhere from $30K to $70K. Like I said before, it takes a very long time to move up on that list.

Wizard29
08-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh, and Dilligaf, I think we are probably talking about the same cove. If you are up that way on Labor Day weekend, have a look in there. I don't know exactly what the plan is (depends on what my passengers want to do) but it is very likely we'll be there at least one of the days. White Magic 29' with Blue flames on the sides...

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
.....Which is why I said I'd hate to see the place end up like Havasu. The people are a bit different. More of the family type, I guess. My fiancee and I hate crowds and crowded water so it works for us. Other people there hate crowds too, so that may be why they look at other people coming into their coves as "intruders." We don't really. We just hate it when the "intruders" spoil the atmosphere by playing their music as loud as possible, yelling, and just generally become disruptive.
Agreed....The only cove really known for loud music and a little more wild behavior (on a semi-normal basis) is Gasoline Ally. I have to admit to going in there frequently but it is a place known as such. There are many, many more coves on Lake Mohave to explore and kick back. I too love the possibility of getting away from the crowds and Mohave still provides that quite well for me.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh, and Dilligaf, I think we are probably talking about the same cove. If you are up that way on Labor Day weekend, have a look in there. I don't know exactly what the plan is (depends on what my passengers want to do) but it is very likely we'll be there at least one of the days. White Magic 29' with Blue flames on the sides...
If I get on the water I will cruise by and try to meet you.

STV_Keith
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Might also consider staying at the Hacienda on the East end of Boulder city. It's about 13 miles to Willow Beach from there by US93. Great place to put in, but I don't think they have any slips for rent.

Wizard29
08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
COLD water up there at Willow. The dam isnt too far away. At least a lot colder than further down river...