PDA

View Full Version : adhesive for billet cup holders?

Partycattin
08-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Is adhesive, silicone, or caulking typically used to seat the billet cup holders in a boat. Friend just bought some to replace the plastic ones. Was thinking of running a bead of silicone and dropping em in. Any thoughts?

Wild Horses
08-24-2006, 07:16 AM
I used silicone adhesive when I added billet cup holders to my last boat. It still is holding tight and hasn't moved.

Legal Chemistry
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I've been looking for the billet/anodized cup holders, where did you get yours from? Are you happy w/the outcome? I shopped for these at one of the marine shops -it was so thin I would be afraid to drop a beer/soda in it w/o denting.

Rexone
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
We have them (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=drinkholderssbp)
Also have them in stainless, just not online yet with those but they're available.

Mandelon
08-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I bought some from rex a few years ago for the Hot Tub. Picked up a hole drill and put some where there weren't any before, and changed out the plastic ones.
The little cork liner in the bottom didn't last but its easy to replace with some neoprene. Rex's were nice quality, and the color matched the boat.
And cheap too, $6.00 or $12.00 each....I dunno why a custom manufacturer would use cheap plastic????

Partycattin
08-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I've been looking for the billet/anodized cup holders, where did you get yours from? Are you happy w/the outcome? I shopped for these at one of the marine shops -it was so thin I would be afraid to drop a beer/soda in it w/o denting.
I'm not sure where he made the final purchase. Either dana marine, eddie marine, or rex have them.

Legal Chemistry
08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks! I'm on the same wavelength as Mandelon -they are going on the spa deck as well.

Mandelon
08-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks! I'm on the same wavelength as Mandelon -they are going on the spa deck as well.
That's kinda gay.....but I understand. :)
I used clear silicone to hold them down and it worked well. You can wipe off the excess when its wet or use an Xacto knife and trim it when its dry.
Put down some masking tape before you drill the holes to help prevent chipping the finish. Good Luck.

Legal Chemistry
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Interestingly enough, I was shopping for the cup holders for my deck/spa... the boat came 6-8 months after the deck. Plus all I found was those cheap-arse plastic one. They just didn't look right... So I'll give you props -but no vote on originality, lol. Either way, thanks I'm going to order some soon!

EliminatorXP
04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Try some 3m 5200 or siimilar product its a marine addhesive/sealant.