PDA

View Full Version : How many of you live in an H.O.A. compound?

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm sure this will be an interesting thread:
I phucking hate :crossx: HOA's. :crossx: Never lived in a neigborhood with an HOA, never will. I cant see it - pay 3, 4, 500K+ for a nice house all to have a group of idiots on an HOA board with nothing better to do but walk around and figure out whose gonna get a letter on their door for having a focking weed sprouting up in their front yard. :mad: :mad: Or, how about this one,
ME or YOU:
"Gee, I sure would like to plant that FoxTail Palm in my yard I saw on sale at Home Depot, it would look so much nicer than a Ghetto Queen Palm."
WIFE:
"But honey, you have get HOA approval to plant it. It might not be on the 'Approved List of Plantable Trees"
Or, what if you want to paint your house? Gotta get approval on that too. Give me a break. You pretty much can never give your house in an HOA 'hood its own character. Yeah, Im gonna sell mine and get right into that crap.
Okayyyy, Im done....
Whoaaa!

Jbb
08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I live in one...and I agree with alot of the rules......junk cars in the yard ect,ect...but I had an exemption to the no detached garage rule when the builder built my shop along with my house.....about 6 months after I moved in...a couple hoa nazis showed up to discuss my garage being there... :p ...I told them soon as they start paying my house note ...the can comment on my garage....[which was legal anyways]

RitcheyRch
08-23-2006, 10:46 AM
I live in a HOA community as well. Sure hope to never live in one again. They sent me a letter because they saw me loading stuff in my boat in front of the house.
HOA=ghestapo

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-23-2006, 10:47 AM
You are right-- this is debateable
here's my take. I pay HOA dues. I also pay mello roos. Do i like it? No. Do i have to? No, i can move. BUT, there is an upside and that is you can count on your neighborhood maintaining an acceptable prescence for as long as they charge the dues. Is it really that big of an issue to get approval to paint your house? I don't think so. Is it a viable safegaurd against your neighbor painting there house Pepto Bismol Pink? Hell yes. Is it a viable safegaurd preventing the hillbilly down the block from putting his truck up on blocks on the lawn? Sure enough. I grew up in a decent neighborhood where there were no HOA demands and you'd have a dozen houses that was killer and one that was a frickin dump. I guess I'd rather pay then subject one or more houses in a neighborhood to reflect on the image which equates value when it comes time to sell....
but thats just my .02

Roxysnow
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
HOA\'s are gettting out of hand! Newer properies here in Orange County are near 300 to 500 per month! In addition to that there is Melloroose which is another 300-400 per month! I have buddies paying over a 1k per month on taxes, melloroos and HOA\'s alone! Not to mention their 600k loan amount payments! Know what I can get for an extra 700 per month...... almost anything I want!

lakewake
08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I hate those nazi bastards too. I moved out of Rancho Santa Margarita for that reason. I got a knock on the door one day. The Gestapo sited me for the wrong color garden hose. It had to be pastel pink or green. I had a conventional bright green hose. While he was there he noted that I had not gotten permission to have a grill on the patio deck.A month later they sited me for hanging my own rain gutter and not using the approved install company. I sold the condo shortly after that. When I got the yearly report forwarded to me after the sale I noticed that between the two Associations that I paid on top of Mello Roos they had 8 people in the management company making over $100,000 a year to pay the trash,outside electrical and water,landscaping and lake maint.etc. That was 20 years ago.It's a racket for sure.

squirt'nmyload
08-23-2006, 10:54 AM
hoa's SUCK!!!!! i'm dealing with the weed issue now...since we actually been getting some rain here, i had some weeds pop up in the front. the next day i had a letter threatening me with a $250 dollar fine!!!! we have hoa nazi's that i swear have nothing better to do than walk around all day and look at peoples yards.

moneypit
08-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I live in a nice neighborhood with a relatively small HOA. I have RV access for my boat. Last year when I moved in I bought a $1000.00 Carport. I bought the Tan color so it would look nicer. My thoughts were that it looks a helluva lot better than the Red Boat Cover or a blue tarp that would protect my boat.
Well Last week I got a letter. Telling me that I cant have a tarp on my side yard. I dont have a copy of the reg's so I am waiting for a copy. I will buy a PInk Boat cover if I have to. The tan carport looks nice and its already been there a year. azzholes.

riverbound
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I have to say, I had a couple instances in which myself and the HOA. but overall I was thankful that we had an HOA. It kept the neighbors form parking their cars on the lawn and as was stated earlier Kept them from parking the 72 winnebago in front of the house for months at a time. I guess on the good side, Our HOA pres. was a River/Desert person. so having the toys in front of the house for a couple days at a time was a non issue.

NautiTwins
08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
We also live in a HOA and love it. AT first they would write us a ticket every week for something. Weeds, boat in front of the house, beer cans in the street j/k etc. We got it fixed by putting my wife on the HOA board. Suddenly, no more tickets.
You can be one of those people that just sit back and complain or man up and do something about it.

RitcheyRch
08-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't have an issue with the HOA handing out fines for weeds, junk cars on the lawn or street, etc. What bothered me the most with my letter is that they admitted that they saw me laoding it up and when they came by later it was gone. Why send me a letter if was only at the house for 20-30 minutes.
Have a neighbor that has a truck that hasn’t moved in 7 months, was ticketed numerous times by LASD and CHP. The HOA did nothing about that but they sure as hell were worried about my boat.

Cole Trickle
08-23-2006, 11:38 AM
My Condo in Foothill Ranch was pretty decent.
Association only cost $140.00 a month and they didn't give you much grief.
What I hated was the parking and the fact that security would give you crap for music at 8pm.9I had to slam the door in more than a couple rental cops faces because theythough my surround sound was too loud :yuk: )

cjordan
08-23-2006, 12:08 PM
HOA's suck...did it once and got the hell out of that. I got a letter for my son and his friend riding sleds down a hill that was maybe 50' long (and not steep) where there was nothing they could hit or be hit by...I resealed it and marked "return to sender". Nothing else. Then I had a garage door replaced and the new paint did not match the others. After reading the rules, I find out the association is responsible for all exterior painting. So when I called I told the mgmt compnay that there must be some mistake because I received the letter and last I checked I was not THEIR painting contractor.....when it was put back on them they didn't have it painted for 9 months! My favorite was when a my neighbors pipe broke and water came into my basement...no biggie it just soaked about 1/4 of my carpet, floodded his condo and the guy on the other side. The HOA sent ME a bill for 1/3 of THEIR 1,000 deductable!!! :mad: I get the mgmt co on the phone and after much argument the smart azz says..."well you are a member of the HOA aren't you? Since you are a member you must pay your share of the deductable." I said OK, lets use your f'ked up logic and go with it for a second...how many owners are in this associaion? He said 100...I said "using what you just told me, then all 100 members are responsible for their pro-rata share...I'll send you a check for $10.00 when you resend the bill" The guy was speechless....I said "hello, hello did I loose you?" Never had to pay that either.....We just built in a neighborhood with some "common sense" restrictions, but no HOA and the Developer is responsible for enforcing.

Cheap Thrills
08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I do but haven't had any problem with them. boat in the yard ? yep. more cars than I need ? yep. weeds growing ? yep. Can't smoke em though. well I guess you could.Can you catch a buzz from smoking Dandilions ? Maybe thats why I never hear any complaints from them , they're sneaking over and smoking my Dandilions.Those bastards...... :mad:
C.T. :wink:

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
You can be one of those people that just sit back and complain or man up and do something about it.
Not really complaining here....since I am not victim to an HOA, I think it's more of a statement or, an observation. Thats all. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said you used to get a ticket every week for 'something' - until your wife ended up on the HOA board.
BTW: Ive lived in four completely separate niegborhoods from SD to LA since high school. Which, non were HOA. Oddly enough, there was never any cars on lawns, Pepto Bismo pink painted houses, etc.. If anything, there were a few weeds on lawns. I just think that if someone is going to, or better to prove my point yet, can 'afford' to buy a house in a 500K+ plus neighborhood (which is almost any new development in CA these days), I doubt they're going to be parking cars on lawns and painting house's funky assed colors, etc... So again, HOA's in my alcohol saturated mind, :rollside: , is just a way for peeps w/ nothing better to do but look for sh*t to fine you and collect monthly dues on top of that....unless you or your spouse is (or you're good friends of someone on the board) actually on the board.
Lastly, someone stated they needed a permit for a grill? ON THEIR BACKYARD PATIO????!!!!!! What in the feeee-uck is that nonsense?
All hoa's can kiss my narrow ass!!! :220v:

HM
08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
I live in the HOA of HOA's - Canyon Lake. You can't even drive a street bike on the streets in the community.
But, our values are $150K or more higher inside the gates than outside the gates. Granted, we have a lake. They are nazi like with the rules, but if you understand the liablity issues, you would realize they have more liability and issues when they look the other way. Our HOA is being sued by the survivors of people who died in a solo golf cart crash at night while they were drunk because they claim our HOA does not have enough regulations around golf carts. I love our HOA. Our neighborhood is like no other. Keeps the riff raff out to a degree too. But people still move in and then complain.
I don't get why people complain about HOA's. They exist before they bought. STFU and stop your bitching about something you agree to in advance.
And those that don't live in HOA's and don't ever want to....great. But STFU about HOA's...you don't live in one, you don't want to, so your opinion is completely useless as many of us want and love our HOA so why does it matter to you? STFU
So the bottom line of my post is. STFU
I am having fun with this thread, but really.....STFU. :D

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I live in the HOA of HOA's - Canyon Lake. You can't even drive a street bike on the streets in the community.
But, our values are $150K or more higher inside the gates than outside the gates. Granted, we have a lake. They are nazi like with the rules, but if you understand the liablity issues, you would realize they have more liability and issues when they look the other way. Our HOA is being sued by the survivors of people who died in a solo golf cart crash at night while they were drunk because they claim our HOA does not have enough regulations around golf carts. I love our HOA. Our neighborhood is like no other. Keeps the riff raff out to a degree too. But people still move in and then complain.
I don't get why people complain about HOA's. They exist before they bought. STFU and stop your bitching about something you agree to in advance.
And those that don't live in HOA's and don't ever want to....great. But STFU about HOA's...you don't live in one, you don't want to, so your opinion is completely useless as many of us want and love our HOA so why does it matter to you? STFU
MolyHoly - I was waiting tirelessly for your elementary response. You always have something to say. ALWAYS. What really baffles the mind is: You say you havent gone to Havasu in ..... how many years is it????? Yet, you hang out in a forum which, more or less, is almost ALL ABOUT HAVASU. Why is that? It reminds of the little fat kid who got kicked off the playground at recess. But, still watches everyone play and yells and calls names & sh*t from the classroom window. Where, the Special Ed teacher can protect him from the bullies when they come for your lunch money. Get a life MonoHomo....oh sorry, I fell victim to your schoolyard semantics for a second....my apologies. Anyways, get a life....and you my little fat kid .....STFU You may go now. Tootles!!! :rollside: :p

Her454
08-23-2006, 01:07 PM
HOA's suck. NEVER AGAIN.

moneypit
08-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I generally dont take offense to what someone types into a computer. Usually I think its funny. I take what you have said a little more serious or to heart. I wont let you or anyone tell me to chime in and tell me to shut the f up. Have I said or done somehing to you to cause you to say that to me? Im not the thread starter here but i have contributed in this thread so what you have said is aimed at me. I'd like to know your response before I go any further.

Her454
08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
You say you havent gone to Havasu in ..... how many years is it????? Yet, you hang out in a forum which, more or less, is ALL ABOUT HAVASU.
Not stickin up for the Midget here, but I normally enjoy reading your posts but for someone that just posted some incredible pictures of the DCB group hangin on the Delta waters of Nor Cal, thats pretty presumptuous to insinuate this forum is ALL ABOUT HAVASU.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I generally dont take offense to what someone types into a computer. Usually I think its funny. I take what you have said a little more serious or to heart. I wont let you or anyone tell me to chime in and tell me to shut the f up. Have I said or done somehing to you to cause you to say that to me? Im the thread starter here so what you have said is aimed at me. I'd like to know your response before I go any further.
Moneypit - This freak, as stated in my reply, alwayyyyyys has some comment aimed at stirring the pot. Nothing evvvvvver is constructive (well maybe a small percentage. I have yet to read one tho.) coming from him. Also, self-proclaimed "I used to goto havasu way back in the day, before anyone else and dont go anymore because of all the partying and naked girls and non-family oriented environment the young punk crowd has turned it into, etc....But Im still a permanent fixture in the Havasu community that has a voice to be heard" Class1-A-Hole seems to always show up in the threads he knows he can steal or start sh*t in. Save your valuable time for others. :idea:

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Not stickin up for the Midget here, but I normally enjoy reading your posts but for someone that just posted some incredible pictures of the DCB group hangin on the Delta waters of Nor Cal, thats pretty presumptuous to insinuate this forum is ALL ABOUT HAVASU.
Fair enough - allow me to retort "80% of this forum seems to be ALL ABOUT HAVASU" :idea:

moneypit
08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Moneypit - This freak, as stated in my reply, alwayyyyyys has some comment aimed at stirring the pot. Nothing evvvvvver is constructive (well maybe a small percentage. I have yet to read one tho.) coming from him. Also, self-proclaimed "I used to goto havasu way back in the day, before anyone else and dont go anymore because of all the partying and naked girls and non-family oriented environment the young punk crowd has turned it into, etc....But Im still a permanent fixture in the Havasu community that has a voice to be heard" Class1-A-Hole seems to always show up in the threads he knows he can steal or start sh*t in. Save your valuable time for others. This time....HolyMoly can EATAD*CK. :idea:
In the past I have found some of his posts to be funny. In fact we have gone back and forth on a few funny threads. I just dont like the attitude. I will wait and see what he has to say.

Cheap Thrills
08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Fair enough - allow me to retort "80% of this forum seems to be ALL ABOUT HAVASU" :idea:
Havasu ? Where's that ? Do they like , have a lake or something ? :p
C.T. :wink:

BajaMike
08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I live in one and hate it, but it's hard to be by the beach and not have one.
:cry:

HCS
08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
This is a H.O.A. compound.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 01:31 PM
I have two homes in HOA and my son is moving into one soon. No biggie on my end. It does help keep up the "hood" a bit. If you live out somewhere and have acreage I would suggest you probably don't have to worry about your immediate neighbors as much. In most HOA areas the houses/condos/etc are very close to each other and it is a bigger issue.
Occasionally I have gotten upset at our HOA in the past but to tell you the truth I know the rules and I don't have a problem with 99% of them.

RiverDave
08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, and what about Parker Peeps n shit.. I got as many posts as anybody on this forum and I maybe goto havasu twice or three times a year.
RD :D

socalmofo
08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
I have an HOA and it is $220. They also pay water,sewer,trash, and exterior insurance and of course maintain the neighborhood areas. Not a bad deal for $220.

RiverDave
08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Not really complaining here....since I am not victim to an HOA, I think it's more of a statement or, an observation. Thats all. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said you used to get a ticket every week for 'something' - until your wife ended up on the HOA board.
BTW: Ive lived in four completely separate niegborhoods from SD to LA since high school. Which, non were HOA. Oddly enough, there was never any cars on lawns, Pepto Bismo pink painted houses, etc.. If anything, there were a few weeds on lawns. I just think that if someone is going to, or better to prove my point yet, can 'afford' to buy a house in a 500K+ plus neighborhood (which is almost any new development in CA these days), I doubt they're going to be parking cars on lawns and painting house's funky assed colors, etc... So again, HOA's in my alcohol saturated mind, :rollside: , is just a way for peeps w/ nothing better to do but look for sh*t to fine you and collect monthly dues on top of that....unless you or your spouse is (or you're good friends of someone on the board) actually on the board.
Lastly, someone stated they needed a permit for a grill? ON THEIR BACKYARD PATIO????!!!!!! What in the feeee-uck is that nonsense?
All hoa's can kiss my narrow ass!!! :220v:
I don't know alot about the real estate market, but down here in San Diego.. I don't even think you can buy a new home for 500K? On top of that in all the communities I've kinda toured through all of them are HOA? Pretty hard to find one that isn't nowdays?
RD

Her454
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
LMAO don't make me start a POLL Southpaw....................... :rollside: :rollside:
Yeah, and what about Parker Peeps n shit.. I got as many posts as anybody on this forum and I maybe goto havasu twice or three times a year.
RD :D
Yes but RD Sux. :rollside: :rollside:

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 01:46 PM
F HAVASU!
:)

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't know alot about the real estate market, but down here in San Diego.. I don't even think you can buy a new home for 500K? On top of that in all the communities I've kinda toured through all of them are HOA? Pretty hard to find one that isn't nowdays?
RD
I dunno either. I'd be way surprised to find or hear of a new neighborhood w/o HOA's. I didnt mean to lace into HM that way. I feel I have a valid point. Why would anyone want to pay, for arguments sake, lets say 800K for a home, and not have control over 'his own domain'? That he friggen paid for???? To have to get approval for a tree is ubsurd. My opinion has even gone further into the sewer of HOA's when someone commented about how he didnt get approval for a damn BBQ? What is that nonsense?

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
LMAO don't make me start a POLL Southpaw....................... :rollside: :rollside:
Yes but RD Sux. :rollside: :rollside:
That POLL would be full of nonsense!! YOu know that. Should I just remove it? I was trying to make a point - but not one regarding that!!! LOL!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I just think that if someone is going to, or better to prove my point yet, can 'afford' to buy a house in a 500K+ plus neighborhood (which is almost any new development in CA these days), I doubt they're going to be parking cars on lawns and painting house's funky assed colors, etc...
I gotta argue this a little. I have seen that the wealthier people are, the crazier they allow themselves to get. If they have the means to do what htey want with no boundries, then they can take the risks as they wish and excercise any creative adventure that crosses their eclectic minds. If that means painting the house Pepto pink, then thats what they'll do.
As an extreme case- Michael Jacksons pad.
I lived in an upper middle-class neighborhood in Mission Viejo. It isn't Bel Aire but it isn't cheap either and we had these neighbors that were born and bred hillbililes. Cars on blocks for months, constantly doing work on their cars and bikes leaving oil stains all over the driveway and street, and barely meeting the minimum expectation of yard maintanence. If only they had a lawn big enough, i know they'd have parked a car on it!

Her454
08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
That POLL would be full of nonsense!! YOu know that. Should I just remove it? I was trying to make a point - but not one regarding that!!! LOL!
80% of the shiat on HB is full of nonsense LOL. I got your point, just messin with ya. Yer too easy tho. :rollside:

Powerquestboy
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
All an HOA does is protect you from the idiots. It's a bit of a hassel for me but well worth it to protect me from the idiots of the world because there are a lot of them. I agree some of them are getting out of hand, However I had a bad experience with my last neighbor so I'm grateful. So I had to go get the approved colors when I wanted to paint my house. There were alot of nice colors and I didnt have to spend 3 hours in the store with my wife!

Waldo
08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
We pay HOA and I can't even describe how many community ammenities we have and use on a weekly basis...three pools and kid's playgrounds within walking distance, HUGE park across the street, super water park, harvests, 4th of July fireworks, etc...not to mention the community is just down right purdy. I've gotten a couple "warnings" about parking illegally but not much else. We have security 24/7 too. Not saying it's perfect as I was completely unsatisfied with my old condo HOA board and practices.
RBB...you forgot to mention your teenage computer-guru felon of a neighbor. That kid was classic.

HM
08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
LOL...she called me a midget. :D
I think they should tar and feather me. :D

H2oracer
08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I have an HOA and it is $220. They also pay water,sewer,trash, and exterior insurance and of course maintain the neighborhood areas. Not a bad deal for $220.
The HOA where I lived had the insurance on the building. When a roof leak from a storm damaged walls carpet etc I filed a claim with the insurance co. They had to pay the money to the HOA. In turn the HOA was supposed to pay me. They refused to pay saying the money was theirs. So I sued the bastards. The HOA managment co rep and the vp of the HOA were in court. With all the documentation I provided they got caught lieing to the judge. The first words out of the judges mouth were " you need to pay this man".
The vp was an under cover cop ( yes somtimes they lie ) I got my money and taught them a good lesson. I sold the place last month.

Her454
08-23-2006, 02:30 PM
LOL...she called me a midget. :D
I think they should tar and feather me. :D
Sorry, I've been hanging/lurking in the V'Drives again and they're a terrible bad influence.
:rollside: :rollside:

reDECKulous
08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Had my boat in the driveway for one day and got a notice... decided to put it back there for a few weeks... still waiting to see what they do

H2oracer
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Had my boat in the driveway for one day and got a notice... decided to put it back there for a few weeks... still waiting to see what they do
Beware of the CONDO COPS.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
80% of the shiat on HB is full of nonsense LOL. I got your point, just messin with ya. Yer too easy tho. :rollside:
Im just trying to get my post count up.. :D :p

Her454
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Im just trying to get my post count up.. :D :p
I figured as much. Here's a little tip, next time ya go on vacation and you take so many damn pics..........post em all separate. :rollside: :rollside:

RiverDave
08-23-2006, 03:00 PM
The HOA where I lived had the insurance on the building. When a roof leak from a storm damaged walls carpet etc I filed a claim with the insurance co. They had to pay the money to the HOA. In turn the HOA was supposed to pay me. They refused to pay saying the money was theirs. So I sued the bastards. The HOA managment co rep and the vp of the HOA were in court. With all the documentation I provided they got caught lieing to the judge. The first words out of the judges mouth were " you need to pay this man".
The vp was an under cover cop ( yes somtimes they lie ) I got my money and taught them a good lesson. I sold the place last month.
To make sure I'm reading this right.. You paid for the repairs and the HOA tried to keep the insurance money to pay for those repairs?
RD

H2oracer
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
To make sure I'm reading this right.. You paid for the repairs and the HOA tried to keep the insurance money to pay for those repairs?
RD YES !

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
YES !
Somebody get a rope!!!! :crossx: :220v: :mad: :crossx:

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 03:34 PM
IF, every story I hear was a liking to Waldo's post - multiple pools, big park, playground for the kiddies, firework show, etc.... actual physical ammenities visible and kept up; then my opinion would completely change. But, reading all the stories - his HOA sounds like its a rare breed.

RitcheyRch
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Atleast you had it there for a day. Mine was at the house for about 1-2 hours at most.

superdave013
08-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I think the idea behind them is good but I know myself well enough to not live in one. With that said I'm very happy with the way the street I live on looks. All the houses are kept up pretty well.

C-2
08-23-2006, 03:46 PM
And just for shiats and giggles….
From time to time I serve papers on people within gated communities, or HOA communities. Granted, these people are usually avoiding service, but the real fun starts at the gate.
It’s always the same song and dance;
The guard let’s me in (or I follow another car in) and then I refuse to leave.
The guard calls the HOA President or other HOA member, who flips out on me.
HOA calls the cops, who tell the HOA there’s nothing they can do.
HOA person usually rolls around on the ground, kicking and screaming, foaming at the mouth, eyes bulging out of their head, yelling about the sovereignty of the HOA, demanding the cop do something.
Cop tells HOA they can arrest me, but it probably means a lawsuit against HOA for wrongful arrest.
This is the part I enjoy…I always put my wrist together and say clink clink. Go ahead, I dare you.
And to think I get paid to do this……. :220v: :220v:

Schiada76
08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
In theory HOA's are good the trouble with mine is that they pick and choose what they want to enforce. It depends on how much work is involved for them. My neighbor cemented over all of his drains and sloped his yard to run off into my yard destroying my slope and flooding my yard. I built a planter out of split faced block to stop his water. He continues to water his garden so much that the water runs through the first layer of split faced block though the 1 foot of planter and then throuh the next layer of split faced block ruining my wall and my concrete. When I contacted the HOA they said it's between my neighbor and I and they can't get involved even though it clearly states in the by laws that we can not alter slopes or drainage. It would be to much work to make the guy fix the problem but if I put my trash cans out on Thursday before leaving for the river and pull them in when I get home on Monday I will get a notice for putting them out a day early and leaving them through the weekend!!!! I could write forever about this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :220v: :220v:
Contact your neighbors ins. company and let them know he's caused a slope failure in your yard. They'll make him fix it.

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
IF, every story I hear was a liking to Waldo's post - multiple pools, big park, playground for the kiddies, firework show, etc.... actual physical ammenities visible and kept up; then my opinion would completely change. But, reading all the stories - his HOA sounds like its a rare breed.
Here is another...$135 mo. which includes 24 hour security at the gate, clubhouse with a big room, weight room with free weights and others, indoor raquetball courts, tennis court, basketball court, a converted BB court into a roller hockey kind of rink, picnic areas, huge pool, childs pool, BBQ areas, deck overlooking the river, parties at the clubhouse and reservation of the clubhouse for private functions. I have lived here almost 20 years and our fees have went up from the original $110. mo (I believe it was).
That being said I don't use the facilities here much but have in the past. Nice setup and perfect for people with kids.

riverroyal
08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
my neighbors house is empty,he is selling it,the lawn is long or dead,it varies.So we call the HOA,now they fine him and his yard is better.Mine is green and perfect,thats what I want in my on my street.A house is your biggest investment.I dont want a car on blocks in my neighborhood,do you? :rollside:

Ziggy
08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
My brother lived and fought through a nightmare HOA/CCR deal a few years ago. He was lucky enough to have the HOA VP living next door to him :rolleyes: . She was a lonely woman with nothing to do all day. She'd peek over the backyard fence to see what the kids were doing. Never failed some sort of violation notice came that day because his wheelbarrow wasn't put away in the shed or some stupid crap like that. Yeah, this woman was not all there. No joking, one time I went to visit my brother, it was raining (had been for days actually), and this lady was outside under an umbrella watering flowers with the hose. WTF???
This lady tormented them to the point my SIL filed harrassment complaints with PD.............who in their right mind walks unannounced into someone elses home and says "here to do a HOA inspection". So my SIL then filed trespassing complaints. Boy did the HOA have power, nothing was ever done by the PD.
Finally, after years of knockdown, dragout brawling with this whacko lady my brother and a few other distraught neighbors were finally able to oust this woman and her band of bluehaired nut jobs from the HOA and sit on the board themselves. Things have now normalized in their neighborhood and it looks well kept.
Doggone Glorified Carlsbad(aka La Costa) oldtimers didn't want to let people live their family lives.
Happy to report the whacko lady now seems to stay holed up inside with an occassional trip outside to clip her lawn edge with scissors......strange she never seems to have any company :idea: LOL
There'd have to be a very clear reason for me to ever consider a community with HOA........I like to be able to plant a tree when and where I like.

OCMerrill
08-23-2006, 05:35 PM
All this bickering back and forth, drama, etc is JUST THE SAME as an HOA board meeting.
I have been a board member, president, yada, yada. It started out as a fun deal. Picking colors for repaint. Keeping the contractor's real sense that what I do. I left all the bickering to the others.
After a couple of years I grew bitter at my so called neighbors and freinds stirring shit. Doing nothing, bitching all the time, and expecting the world for $150 mo. Money is ALWAYS an issue, Parking the same. F-it.
Bought a small house on Mission Viejo and bailed. Still has an HOA but its a greenbelt @ $23 mo. no Mellow Roos, and an occasional letter if I leave my motorhome out front over a week. I can live with this.
The band "Live" is cranking on the system right now and it's loud, and my Jeep is in apart in the driveway. My neighbors are cool as there is no "Closeness" condo issue. MUCH BETTER.
Now the kicker...I am an HOA contractor. My company works for property management companies in their HOA's. Same crap but from a different end.

wolfie
08-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I lived in an HOA neighborhood in Seattle area. My wife and I had been going through awater runoff slough that had weeds that was actually part of the city's property. It was half done as we were putting mesh down to control the weeds. It was obvious that we had been working on it. They wrote us a letter saying that if we didn't keep it up that they'd hire someone and bill us. The funny thing was that our neighbors that were friends with some of the HOA board member didn't get a letter. They had never kept it up.
They also sent us a letter stating that they were going to have our motorhome towed away if we continued to park it in the driveway. That would have been a surprise for the tow truck operator since it was my add's motorhome and they had come to visit us for a week. He's usually well armed. The funny thing was that our neighbor kept a trailer year round in their driveway along side of their dory!!!! I guess it pays to know people.
They did get an earfull. never had a problem again and actually ended up becoming friends with one of the board members.

YeLLowBoaT
08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
There are a few Areas in Sac that I will no longer work in. The HOAs are just a joke. One of them is "gold river"( which is actaully rancho crodova, but they don't want to part of it. TOO bad you are) Anyways I painted the body of the house and the trim of the house the correct colors. When the home owner said she wanted the door painted the same color as the trim. We both thought it would look good so I did. Now this color ( a dark brown) is approved for use as a body or trim color paint. It is not approved as a color for the front door. Its apporved for every other inch of the outside of the house. Just not the front door. Long story short, I got a emergency call from the home owner a few days latter. I went back and repainted the door. I was nice and only charged for the price of the paint.
The sad part is I went to the head of the HOA so I could get the exact color codes. no where in the paper work I was handed said anything about what colors I could or could not paint the front door. Only what colors were approved for the body and approved for the trim. I turn down about 2 calls a month asking if I would paint the outside.( I still do alot of interior work) Now thats anywhere form 2-4k each call. I will never paint a exterior there again.

HM
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
While I like living in an HOA, I usually don't like the board members. the running joke is that people who couldn't make it in politics get elected to HOA boards. I would never want that job and they kick me out instantly as I tell them all to STFU and quit their crying. We have had some very crazy crap happening in ours this last year, but it will blow over. There are definitely streets were people go around looking for issues with their neighbors and then there are mellow streets. The nice thing is we are a boating community, so we get to park all our toys basically anywhere you can pour concrete.
The boys with the 23 boats with the noses wacked off are pissed right now as the HOA board unanimously voted to clarify the rule and boats that have been hacked will be measured with their nose piece on. If they don't have the nose piece, it doesn't get approved. OH well, they KNEW the lengh limit when they moved here. They are a bunch of whiners too and make about as much sense as Kim Hanson on a friday night Molson binge.

SHOTKALLIN
08-23-2006, 08:40 PM
ME or YOU:
"Gee, I sure would like to plant that FoxTail Palm in my yard I saw on sale at Home Depot, it would look so much nicer than a Ghetto Queen Palm."
LOL, I never knew my Queen palms were ghetto.....I thought that I was doin big thangs...they are a step above the FAN palm. Oh well guess I gotta dig those Fockers up. Are my pigmys and sagos ghetto too? Just want to be keepin up with the Jones'..........LOL

SHOTKALLIN
08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
I wont live in a HOA. I like to leave my XMAS lights up all year round. I leave my garbage cans on the sidewalk, that way I don't forget to put them out. :crossx:

wolfie
08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
They have a volunteer HOA ($12 a year) where I live here in Utah. They actually do more to keep the city crooks (oops I mean council) in check. The city decided to put apartments in an upscale neighborhood (obviously one of their ward brother or one of their 5 wives brother was building it) and the HOA stepped up to question why they were diverting from the master plan of the communitee. They didn't like it and said that the HOA is no longer working properly and were going to disband it. They finally found out that they couldn't legally disband a group of homeowners from getting together. Sometimes the city gov't. is worse, specially in a theocracy like Utah.

C-2
08-23-2006, 09:12 PM
It's fine when a HOA pulls martial law in their compound - but god forbid the local government does it. Talk about giving up personal freedom......
On the flipside, I think cities which have historical districts can also dictate some pretty f*@ed up ordinances - like the color of your window awnings. South Pasadena I think?

ROZ
08-23-2006, 09:50 PM
HOA\'s are gettting out of hand! Newer properies here in Orange County are near 300 to 500 per month! In addition to that there is Melloroose which is another 300-400 per month! I have buddies paying over a 1k per month on taxes, melloroos and HOA\'s alone! Not to mention their 600k loan amount payments! Know what I can get for an extra 700 per month...... almost anything I want!
one the grand scale of things, that isn't too bad... I use to have a client who paid 2k per month HOA to a downtown luxury condo complex...
He called it the riffraff tax..lol

ROZ
08-23-2006, 09:51 PM
It's fine when a HOA pulls martial law in their compound - but god forbid the local government does it. Talk about giving up personal freedom......
On the flipside, I think cities which have historical districts can also dictate some pretty f*@ed up ordinances - like the color of your window awnings. South Pasadena I think?
It use to be that Rancho Bernardo only allowed red tile roofs....

No Name
08-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Never have and never will.

Rexone
08-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Rexone will NEVER live in an HOA neighborhood. I would kill someone over a planting issue and end up in San Quinten.

jxr02
08-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Back east we have these things called yards, some as big as an acre or two. When my neighbor wants to do something stupid like buy goats or build a bole weavil monument I never notice. That's because we also have these things called trees that block each other's view. Oh, and I vote "no" on HOAs as well.

RitcheyRch
08-24-2006, 04:53 AM
Sounds like you live in Canyon Lake.
While I like living in an HOA, I usually don't like the board members. the running joke is that people who couldn't make it in politics get elected to HOA boards. I would never want that job and they kick me out instantly as I tell them all to STFU and quit their crying. We have had some very crazy crap happening in ours this last year, but it will blow over. There are definitely streets were people go around looking for issues with their neighbors and then there are mellow streets. The nice thing is we are a boating community, so we get to park all our toys basically anywhere you can pour concrete.
The boys with the 23 boats with the noses wacked off are pissed right now as the HOA board unanimously voted to clarify the rule and boats that have been hacked will be measured with their nose piece on. If they don't have the nose piece, it doesn't get approved. OH well, they KNEW the lengh limit when they moved here. They are a bunch of whiners too and make about as much sense as Kim Hanson on a friday night Molson binge.

rrrr
08-24-2006, 06:11 AM
What the hell is a Melloroos?????? :220v:
Oh, and HolyMoly.......STFU :crossx: :D

98 Vector 21
08-24-2006, 06:17 AM
I Live in a HOA & like it for the most part..Altho Im the biggest affender...of the rules :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
08-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Have a friend dealing with her HOA right now. The HOA installed a speed limit sign in her front yard. She wants it removed and they fighting her over it.

GOFSTSUMDAY
08-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Lived in one for the last year.... Anyone want to buy a nice 2000sq. ft. home in Illinois? Never will live in a HOA again! When we bought our new home (May '05), we were told there was no CC&R's/HOA. What a lie that was... We built a fence 2 weeks after we moved in, with approval in writting of all our neighbors, builder of my home (his display home is right next door), and the city (building permit date 6/10/05.) a week after the fence was built we receive a set of CC&R's (we now have three different versions of these CC&R's) from the developers real estate agent, as you can imagine, my fence is in VIOLATION... In the CC&R's and By-Laws(not drafted untill 8/04/05) it states the developer will turn over the HOA association duties to the homeowners when half the lots were sold, but would still remain as the arctitectural control committe. He turned the powers of the assoc. to us homeowners in March of this year (wife is the treasurer of the board.) On 8/03/06 I receive a letter from the developer(who only own two of the lots left in the sub.) stating I have 10 days to remove about 40ft. of my fence and put it where he want's is to go. He received a letter back expressing that if I moved my fence, he would not enjoy where I would shove it.
The only good thing I see comming from this is: mine and his attorney's will be able to buy a new boat when this is all said and done.... :cool:

OCMerrill
08-24-2006, 06:55 AM
What the hell is a Melloroos?????? :220v: Oh, and HolyMoly.......STFU :crossx: :D
It's basically additional property tax. Years ago the builder would put in street lights, schools, etc. so the city or county would allow a large tract to be built.
Mellowroos (dreamed up by Mello and Roos) may have the spelling wrong...was a initally a 20 year payment plan so the homeowners can pay for the additionals instead of the builder and or the city getting stuck with all of it. Now I don't think it ever goes away.
So if you property tax rate is like 1.05% per year, melloroos can add like another .5 to 1.25% depending on where it is.
Some cities dont have it. Mission Viejo for one does not for most of the older homes. Houses built after a certain year very well could have it. This means my older home (1974) does not have it but the 5 year old homes down the street does.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-24-2006, 07:21 AM
LOL, I never knew my Queen palms were ghetto.....I thought that I was doin big thangs...they are a step above the FAN palm. Oh well guess I gotta dig those Fockers up. Are my pigmys and sagos ghetto too? Just want to be keepin up with the Jones'..........LOL
LOL. I just call 'em that because you can pretty much get 'em anywhere. I mean, I see them at Vons, Kmart... Hell, I even think I saw a few for sale at the damn gas station!!! :)

HM
08-24-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh, and HolyMoly.......STFU :crossx: :D
LOL..alrighty then. :D

Sportin' Wood
08-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Home values are not $150,00 more on average inside then outside. Maybe if you compare to Quail Valley. Ofcourse they are laughing, as there septic tanks run down stream into your lake.
As far as riff raff We always got the best drugs and met the easiest girls from inside the gates back in highschool. Been to a fair share of great parties in there and I don't remember ever being called in. (that was damn near 15 years ago). It is harder to get in now then it was then but you guys have your fair share of crime inside.
I have lived outside the gates since 1973 and have always toyed with the idea of moving inside but the HOA scares the hell out of me. I kinda like low life, white trash, cars on the dead grass, living a little too much. I wonder what the state of the lake will be when all the tracks being built around the city dump there dog crap tainted gutter water into your swimming hole?
In the defense of Canyon Lake there is nothing better then coming home from a days work to walk down to your dry docked boat and go for a boat ride on a lake that has two boats on it. We built a fair share of custom homes on the lake and it really sounds like a great idea untill the HOA nazi's come by and tell us to get our trucks off the street. The whole motorcycle thing is total BS as well.
They would never let me live in there anyway, I'm not a flatbiller and my wifes not a blond. :rollside:
We have a POA at my commercial building but I'm the president so there is a different set of rules for me. :)

fleetimus
08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
They are not a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! My condo burnt to the ground on Aug. 23,2003. They finally got a building permit on Feb. 14, 2004. It was April of 2005 when it was finally done and I sold it. I had to keep paying dues and all services the whole time!!!!!!!! Never again.

lawbreaker2
08-24-2006, 08:45 AM
You people are Pucken crazy to like the chit, :mad: I see a bunch of yuppies, sorry I'm in a bad mood today, but It's folks like you guy's that complain about a weed or wrong color hose, IT'S your land, your home, If I want a pink hose it's my right, Yah I see yards with junk in them and I see yards with cars in them, But so what I don't care want they do with there chit, NOT my buss. :mad: The guy next door complained about my race car trailer in my yard, but He has a sunken boat with flowers in it in his yard and calls it yard art. DO I CARE, NO. but don't complain about my trailer when you have what I call jusnk in his yard. :rolleyes: People just need to mind their own buss. We have zoneing laws to keep junk cleaned up. we don't need more a$$hole running around. Sorry if I made anybody upset, but to bad. thats life.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-24-2006, 08:54 AM
The guy next door complained about my race car trailer in my yard, but He has a sunken boat with flowers in it in his yard and calls it yard art.
Now thaaaat is the funniest focking thing Ive read in a lonnngg time!!! :) :)
He said Yard Art
I love it!!!
Dude, can you pleeeeez take a picture of it???? Ill friggen pay for it. DOOOO IT.

riverfun
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a couple properties with HOA's and its fine if you know what you are getting into. I personally do not live in one but I have in the past and my vacation home has one. The problem is when people do not Read the CC&R's to find out what they can and can't do BEFORE they buy in a community. You are given a copy before escrow closes, you should read it. Yea I know its boring and dry but it may just save you from a big mistake down the road.