PDA

View Full Version : You Want Privacy - You Got It

C-2
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I saw an interesting article in the paper today. The substance of the article was about a dirtbag in Eastvale who was convicted of stealing an SUV with a child in it.
I remember this Amber Alert and hereÂ’s the part which caught my attention:
“The case brought regional attention when, during the first theft, Riverside County Sheriff’s deputies searched for the child for almost two hours. A cell phone belonging to the family was in the car but the cell phone company, Sprint, refused to provide the vehicle’s whereabouts, citing privacy concerns.”
WTF?
Get used to crap like this. The more everybody pushes privacy issues – the more it will affect our lives in everyday situations.
For example, I recently went to Circuit City to buy a TV and decided to open a new account. Thinking I would save some time, I did it in advance, over the phone. The Indian clerk (as in outsourced customer service rep in India) started asking me about several addresses; one address is in NC where IÂ’ve never been; one is a piece of vacant land we own, and the third is a past business address. I answered truthfully and said no, IÂ’ve never lived at any of those addresses (I even explained what two of them were).
So the clerk said SORRY, you did not pass our security screening so your application will be denied (without even looking at my credit/FICO). I freaked and asked to speak with a supervisor, who asked more questions and approved the application, but limited it to $1K over “identity concerns.”
Several years ago I placed a security flag on my credit reports - the one which requires additional scrutiny by credit grantors. I thought I was doing the right thing by having it on there, but as it turns out, it can actually hurt your ability to open new credit lines. Not only do you run the risk of failing your own security screening – but credit limits are also lower for security flagged credit reports, and some creditors will not approve online account applications.
I had the security flag removed.
WeÂ’re all doomedÂ…Â… :220v:

little rowe boat
08-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Interesting, I recently had a fraud alert put on my credit report due to an email error from my employer.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Credit Reporting Agencies (TRW, EXPERIAN, etc..) have way too much control over our well being when it comes to financial stuff........

Boozer
08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
The best way to protect your credit is to get the 3 major bureaus to put an indicator on the report stating that in order for any lines of credit to be extended to you a phone number must be called in order to verify that you are in fact the person applying for the line of credit. Most people give their home or office phone number which is down right retarded due to the fact that when you are applying for credit you are typically not at home and not at work. Give a cell phone number.
This is the best safegaurd you can possibly have on your credit.

RitcheyRch
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Good advice. I need to do that.
The best way to protect your credit is to get the 3 major bureaus to put an indicator on the report stating that in order for any lines of credit to be extended to you a phone number must be called in order to verify that you are in fact the person applying for the line of credit. Most people give their home or office phone number which is down right retarded due to the fact that when you are applying for credit you are typically not at home and not at work. Give a cell phone number.
This is the best safegaurd you can possibly have on your credit.

IN2-IN2MX
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I went to Lowe's the other day to buy an f'in $300 barbecue. Once I got to the counter they said if I open a credit card they will give me 10% off so I figure I will do that. They run my application and deny it! I was with Mike and he just laughed at me because we are always competing at whose credit score is higher (we're both close to 800). Anyways, they tell me they will send a letter in the mail to me explaining why I was denied. Um hello! It was because of the phone number! They had an old phone number in their data base and it didn't match the application. :yuk: Whatever. I guess it's better that I didn't get the card...that was the only time I have ever shopped there.

chub
08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I went to Lowe's the other day to buy an f'in $300 barbecue. Once I got to the counter they said if I open a credit card they will give me 10% off so I figure I will do that. They run my application and deny it! I was with Mike and he just laughed at me because we are always competing at whose credit score is higher (we're both close to 800). Anyways, they tell me they will send a letter in the mail to me explaining why I was denied. Um hello! It was because of the phone number! They had an old phone number in their data base and it didn't match the application. :yuk: Whatever. I guess it's better that I didn't get the card...that was the only time I have ever shopped there.
That smirk was the most expensive 30 bones you ever tried to save. :cry:
3 small------just pay for it. You had the money!

ssmike
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=C-2]I saw an interesting article in the paper today. The substance of the article was about a dirtbag in Eastvale who was convicted of stealing an SUV with a child in it.
“The case brought regional attention when, during the first theft, Riverside County Sheriff’s deputies searched for the child for almost two hours. A cell phone belonging to the family was in the car but the cell phone company, Sprint, refused to provide the vehicle’s whereabouts, citing privacy concerns.”
My good friend was the DA on that case that convicted that SOB...

C-2
08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=C-2]I saw an interesting article in the paper today. The substance of the article was about a dirtbag in Eastvale who was convicted of stealing an SUV with a child in it.
My good friend was the DA on that case that convicted that SOB...
Yeah, nothing like going back for seconds. That part of the story also amused me. I hope your friend pulls the max on that dirtbag.
---------------
After hearing about that theft - I made up my mind never to leave my little 3 year old girlie in the car unattended, even in my own garage. If she forgets something (and she awlays does, she likes to travel like a bag lady), I have to go thru the whole loading process again. A pain in the arse but definitely worth it and I take it in stride.
Tell your friend thanks.