PDA

View Full Version : Another T-Storm In Havasu

RiverRatMike
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Had a pretty good one tonight. Lightning bolts were bitchin. Hardly any rain here on the South side of town. One bolt was so close to me as it faded away, I could see the sparks blowing off in the wind from it. That was cool to see. Here is just one of a few that I took tonight from my driveway.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16937&stc=1

riverroyal
08-23-2006, 07:54 PM
your are great at storm photos

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Top notch photos as usual. Don't be getting fried...and shit

SummitKarl
08-23-2006, 07:56 PM
yup that was the one that sent my dog BOLTING into the house :)
get this Mike, my back yard got wet, my front yard is dry :rollside:

OGShocker
08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Very nice, Mike!! Thank you for sharing.

OutCole'd
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Great shot as usual Mike. Thanks!

Devil's Advocate
08-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Great job with the camara...that's a wild shot.

RiverRatMike
08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
thanks guys, well I love it, and it amazes me that, that amount of voltage comes from the sky. Simply amazing stuff and I'm out in it every chance I get. Here is another one that was fairly close to me.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16938&stc=1

lalhc
08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Great shots as usual! Can anyone else see the "stick man" in the bottom left of the photo?

lalhc
08-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Bottom left of the first photo

Terminal Velocity
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
you get the most incredible shots of this i've seen. But you are one crazy mofo for being out in it. Be careful! :220v:

RiverRatMike
08-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Bottom left of the first photo
that is weird, I just now noticed that.

KREGER
08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Awesome!!!

socalmoney
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
What are you shooting with, equipment wise.

RiverRatMike
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
What are you shooting with, equipment wise.
It's a 4 year old Olympus C-5050 5 megapixel digital camera. All stock with no fancy lenses or anything like that. Kick ass camera!

socalmoney
08-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I found it, Olympus C5050Z at f/8. I don't see a shutter speed. Sweet photos.

CBadDad
08-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Great shots as always.
Can anyone else see the "stick man" in the bottom left of the photo?
That is wicked cool.
Suppose to dry up this weekend, let's hope so.

AirtimeLavey
08-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Very impressive photos, again. Thanks. Must have been something to watch. Are you getting much thunder w/it? I have relatives in Kansas, and the t-storms there will rattle the windows and house almost as much as an earthquake out here.
Hope it stays away this w/e.

RitcheyRch
08-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Awesome photos.

olbiezer
08-24-2006, 05:11 AM
got kinda dumb question for u az guys.........a few months ago i was traveling on I 10 from dalif to mississippi and going through western az at night and the t storm that i was heading for was crazy by mississippi standards with mutliple lightning strikes at the same time ..a dust storm and just a damn viloent storm.....is that pretty typical for u guys or what????? i ll take the mississippi varity of t storm any day lol.......

Ziggy
08-24-2006, 07:32 AM
got kinda dumb question for u az guys.........a few months ago i was traveling on I 10 from dalif to mississippi and going through western az at night and the t storm that i was heading for was crazy by mississippi standards with mutliple lightning strikes at the same time ..a dust storm and just a damn viloent storm.....is that pretty typical for u guys or what????? i ll take the mississippi varity of t storm any day lol.......
very typical for monsoonal type of storm cells....violent.
Great pics as always Mike...never ceases to amaze me with your photogenius.
Stickman only got one arm :D Does anyone see the Virgin Mary image in the 1st one??

SoCalSouthpaw
08-24-2006, 07:36 AM
thanks guys, well I love it, and it amazes me that, that amount of voltage comes from the sky. Simply amazing stuff and I'm out in it every chance I get. Here is another one that was fairly close to me.
How wide do you think the main bolt is? Your pics are great! Thx!

Not So Fast
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I saw that one while standing in the patio, HOLY CRAP, it was as thick as I've seen here. Is there anyway to measure a bolt I wonder? :idea: Still no rain though and we need it bad!! Your pix are fantastic :D NSF

Not So Fast
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
BTW, from the position of your shots it looks like you live around me (or me around you?) North side around PVN/ Lakeside of 95???? NSF

phebus
08-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I was coming home with the boat, when all hell broke loose. Backed it in the garage, and the sky opened up. Flat out poured for about 15-20 minutes. Funny how it can be so hit and miss, but we got hit.

Ziggy
08-24-2006, 10:11 AM
BTW, from the position of your shots it looks like you live around me (or me around you?) North side around PVN/ Lakeside of 95???? NSF
Mike and Heather live in the south end of town.

harddriver
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Wicked sweet pics Mike. Just be careful. Don't need ya :220v:

Not So Fast
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Mike and Heather live in the south end of town.
Then I guess my GPS brain system is way off, I thought it looked like the same thing I saw and that it wasn't that far away, wrong again :confused: NSF

RiverRatMike
08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks again guys for the comments. Just got home from work and looks like another t-storm is moving in. Too much light outside to take lightning photos though. Hopefully again tonight. Well see.
I live on the South side of Havasu, Oro Grande and Buena Vista. Very close to fire station #3.

AZKC
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I found it, Olympus C5050Z at f/8. I don't see a shutter speed. Sweet photos. According to how frequent the lightning is happening and how much natural light. I've used any where from 4-16 seconds on the exposure settings. And of course with that long of exposure a tripod is a must.
Nice pics RRM :) Its been slow down here or raining to hard to see any bolts :yuk:

RiverRatMike
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
According to how frequent the lightning is happening and how much natural light. I've used any where from 4-16 seconds on the exposure settings. And of course with that long of exposure a tripod is a must.
Nice pics RRM :) Its been slow down here or raining to hard to see any bolts :yuk:
thanks, we are starting to get pounded here in Havasu again. 30 mph gusts and I saw lightning. Huge clouds building up again.

RiverRatMike
08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
oh yeah it is very typical for the monsoon season months. It gets nuts out here and I love it!

Old Man Havasu
08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I always miss the storms! RRM I have a place at Blackhawk and Highlander.
Drove out a few weeks ago 70 % chance of storms, nothing! Had a litle action last Monday night. Back in So. Cal now, hoping for a little action LAbor Day at night after everyone is off the water. I have a Canon digital SLR and tripod I'm ready to try.
Better read the book for exsposure info.

RiverRatMike
08-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I always miss the storms! RRM I have a place at Blackhawk and Highlander.
Drove out a few weeks ago 70 % chance of storms, nothing! Had a litle action last Monday night. Back in So. Cal now, hoping for a little action LAbor Day at night after everyone is off the water. I have a Canon digital SLR and tripod I'm ready to try.
Better read the book for exsposure info.
Cool! When it's a 20% chance it storms big time and 70 or 80% we get nothing. Typical of the weather service. Labor Day weekend looks good as far as moisture moving in. Been tracking it but still a little to far off to tell for sure. We'll see.

Not So Fast
08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Cool! When it's a 20% chance it storms big time and 70 or 80% we get nothing. Typical of the weather service. Labor Day weekend looks good as far as moisture moving in. Been tracking it but still a little to far off to tell for sure. We'll see.
Called the "Havasu Shuffle", looks like we are going to get blasted and then the sky parts and the storms go right around us 75% of the time although not so tonite. North side got a good dose of rain but over way too quick. We are way over due for some MONSOON!!!! NSF

RiverRatMike
08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Called the "Havasu Shuffle", looks like we are going to get blasted and then the sky parts and the storms go right around us 75% of the time although not so tonite. North side got a good dose of rain but over way too quick. We are way over due for some MONSOON!!!! NSF
yeah so far this year on the south side of Havasu the rain fall amouts have sucked! only 0.26 inches from this years monsoon. It's still not over though.