PDA

View Full Version : Flying from Havasu to O.C - Daily

harddriver
08-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Is there anyone on the boards that makes the daily commute via Air from Havasu to Orange County? The wife and I are discussing the possiblities of selling our House in SoCal and living full time in our Havasu house. I'm sure I don't need to spell out all the reason for leaving SoCal; they are endless as so many HB'ers have pointed out. I've got to believe their are a few other folks on here that would love to figure out how to live in Havasu full time, yet keep their current SoCal incomes.
I currently spend 2 plus hours each day commuting to and from work (91 Crawl), so to me transitioning that time to the air is a no-brainer. Just trying to make sense of the large outlay of green required to fly back and forth from Havi to OC every day.
Weather (smog/marine layer, etc) is not a factor. I'm used to flying in the soup.

Mandelon
08-24-2006, 10:21 AM
There would have to some days when the weather would be a factor. Can you miss work occasionally? Or be late...Not worth the chance of flying on some stormy days....
You'd need an extra car at the airport...but that wouldn't need to be too expensive of a vehicle.
How much would it cost?

Tequila-John
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
There would have to some days when the weather would be a factor. Can you miss work occasionally? Or be late...Not worth the chance of flying on some stormy days....
You'd need an extra car at the airport...but that wouldn't need to be too expensive of a vehicle.
How much would it cost?
Great advice

Sleek-Jet
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
So how much would people be willing to pay round trip??? 100??? 200??? If you get enought people togather, something might be able to be worked out...
What about buying a part of an airplane, like a fractional except you would us the same airplane all the time, and hiring someone to fly it for you???

harddriver
08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
On the inclement weather days (high winds or crazy ass :220v: storms), I'd drive from Havasu to Vegas or PHX to work at our satellite offices. Fractional ownership is probably the way to go. If anyone ever becomes interested in working something out on a full time basis, drop me a line. Until then, I guess I'll keep the Socal house and keep making the 4 hour weekend drive. The Havasu community is great. Just wish I could spend more time there. :cry:

MrsSigEpMock
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Have you though about an alternate schedule and hotelling it for your nights in OC? Say you flew out Monday morn., worked 8 hours, worked 12 hours tues&wed and 8 on thurs and flew home. or 4-10's. I would imagine that hotel stay would be cheaper than flying.
Beside, your wifey may enjoy some alone time, which makes together time even more better!!! You should hear the relationship stories I hear from "commuters."

lalhc
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
You could also transfer to Vegas and commute from Havasu. I've read on the boards of other members who drive daily to Vegas. I'm sure you could find a few individuals to go in on a Hybrid car to carpool with. It's only a 2 hour drive. I did it this summer. My family and I lived @ our house in Havasu for almost 2 months. I didn't have to drive daily to Vegas, but I worked and traveled out of Vegas several times.

Warfstain79
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Have you though about an alternate schedule and hotelling it for your nights in OC? Say you flew out Monday morn., worked 8 hours, worked 12 hours tues&wed and 8 on thurs and flew home. or 4-10's. I would imagine that hotel stay would be cheaper than flying.
Beside, your wifey may enjoy some alone time, which makes together time even more better!!! You should hear the relationship stories I hear from "commuters."
She's got the right idea. I would opt for the 8/12/12/8 schedule. With fuel prices these days, and they're only going up.
I'm a pilot and have seen LOTS of General Aviation airplanes sitting on the ramps because of the fuel prices. The FBO we buy from is DIRT cheap at $4 a gallon.
O.C. isnt far. Fuel up Sunday night, and round trip that same tank. Cut a deal with an FBO at your airport there in O.C. for cheap ramp prices. Or even round trip fuel out of OC for free parking up there.
Get a Hilton Rewards card, stay with them 3 nights a week. Eventually have the points pay for your rooms.

harddriver
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
All excelent ideas. Esp using the rewards card points from all the fuel purchases to pay for my hotel. Piss poor time to try and sell my house. Looks like I'm resortin to playing the lottery for a while. :idea:

socalmoney
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
If fuel costs continue to climb, we will go from a global economy back to a local economy. Not for everything but for the stuff that makes sense. It is a wise time now to try to figure out what local you want to live in. If it is Havasu, then some business needs to find it's way out there.
I just can't see it being cost effective to fly with the way things are headed. Maybe if you got 6 people as a fractional it could work. But then who would fly? If there was only one person who did the flying, they should get a break on the cost etc.
I get so pissed that I could do my job anywhere there is an internet connection. Hell I often do it from Cancun when we are down there. The fact is that employers just don't like the idea of not having the body in the office.

Parker Dreamin
08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
There used to be times I wish I could AIR commute from LAX to OC .....

YeLLowBoaT
08-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Lets see at a little less then 260 knots or so.( don't have a chart in front of me.) For a standard single ( something like a cessna or a piper) it will take you about 2 hours and 45 mins for the flight time, ( not exactly sure where the no flys are and airports...) so figure atleast 3.5 hours with preflight and take off and landing. Now for costs it will cost you any where from about $75-125 in gas each way depending on plane and cond.
Thats not inculding the maintance and aircraft. So if you can blow a extra $350 and 7 hours out of your day go for it.

Mongo
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Have my house up for sell in OC and going to buy a permanent residence in Havasu and commute to OC to work. I plan on using USAirways. Lucky for me the wife works for them so I can fly for free (standby). But it may not always work due to weather and their schedule and mine. Sometimes it would be faster for me to drive then sit back relax and have a cocktail or two.

C-2
08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey harddriver
My brother lives in Havasu fulltime and still maintains his business in Corona. He's usually here (Corona/Riverside) during the week, he might be interested if you get something going. He would probably be interested in good ole fashioned carpooling too. After 4 years...I think he's getting pretty tired of it.

socalmoney
08-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Does someone want to partner up with me on this. We could get to work much faster. Only 2.8 million dollar investment. A nonrefundable deposit of $100,000 holds our position behind 103 others for Javelin delivery by late 2009.
http://www.avtechgroup.com/images/photogallery/large_119.jpg
http://www.avtechgroup.com/images/photogallery/large_121.jpg
http://www.avtechgroup.com/images/photogallery/large_80.jpg
http://www.avtechgroup.com/images/photogallery/large_110.jpg
http://www.avtechgroup.com/index.asp
http://www.forbes.com/business/fyi/2006/0424/122.html

NautiTwins
08-29-2006, 07:46 AM
BALLERS!!!! :D
Not really. If you actually look at the cost of time and money you could be saving. I would bet that you come out ahead at the end of the month. Lets break it down for him.
2 hour commute each day. 10 hours weekly. =1 full day of work.
Fly from havasu to orange county on Monday, stay through thrusday. $120 round trip. Have three day weekends, no time sitting in traffic. Lifestyle will be increased, stress levels will be down, therefore more productive during those 4 days of work. More money in the bank from selling home in CA.
Down side, four days away from wife and kids if any. Relying on public transportation (airplane).
You could make it work if you wanted to!!

socalmoney
08-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I think it would be hard to be away from your kids all week.