PDA

View Full Version : New NO WAKE ZONE above Sandbar....

tewlmannnn
08-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Maybe a repost if so all apologies.........Was at the lake last weekend and headed north of The Sandbar only to find a NO WAKE ZONE section between Sandbar an Topock........Version of a speedbump to slow down at a blind corner and the bathtub effect.........in a narrow section of river

OutCole'd
08-24-2006, 01:57 PM
How long of a stretch is like this?

Havasu1986
That area is called Devils Elbow. Buoys went up a week or 2 go.

Singleton
That thing has been in place for a few weeks now.
Only problem I have with it, is all the boats that stop and people jump out for a swim while the rest of us want to get to the other end so we can run again.

phebus
08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
About a 10 minute idle. I actually enjoyed it. It was at Devils Elbow, and north. Beautifull part of the river, and I finally saw it, and enjoyed it.

beaverretriever
08-24-2006, 03:00 PM
About a 10 minute idle. I actually enjoyed it. It was at Devils Elbow, and north. Beautifull part of the river, and I finally saw it, and enjoyed it.
I felt the same. We actually hung out there for a while. Kind of a nice spot just to chill.

Jyruiz
08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
10 minutes is not bad, might actually head up there and check it out, it has been a while.

Jesster
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
The wife, kids and I went through last Sun afternoon about 5:00 on our way to Topock marina, I had never noticed how many small sandy beach areas there are through that area. The no wake area lets you take notice of how beautiful it is through there. :rollside:

SoCalSouthpaw
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
No doubt. Ive always throttled it through because of the rough water and traffic, trying to get a glimpse of something - never got a chance to because I was always dodging lake lice or another boater getting a driving lesson or two..... Im for it. Havent been through there yet, but looking forward to it.

desertbird
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I was there last weekend too, and after going through, I support the restriction 100%. It was the most pleasant drive through that area, and WAY too many times have I had to get beat up going through that turn. Even downright scared a few more buy some idiot insisting on showing me how fast he can take the turn and how far to the wrong side of the river he can make it.
Weekends on the River were beginning to remind me of Glamis on a holiday weekend, and that's not why we like going to either. :mad:
I was even more amazed at the Police presence both on and off the water. There were at least 6 patrol boats (wildlife, F&G, or sheriff) between the sandbar north through Topock Marina with a bunch of boats being stopped in the wide area by the bridge. :p
Once again, I support this too. Notice the LE weren't stopping people like my wife and I cruising back to Needles. Rather, they stop the boat with 18 people on it and 6 life vests, or the dumbass doing donuts in the middle of the water. :rolleyes:
Flatbillers beware, we are all tired of your $hit!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

Old Man Havasu
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I support the speed zone as well. There is a great little cove and beach on the north end. Theres a small pond with a dam and beaver? Lots of carp and bluegill in the pond behind. Now my boat may stay in one place!!!!

Charley
08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
We floated thru it twice this past weekend... awesome part of the gorge to slowly enjoy.... I like the buoys

havasu5150
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
I also agree. Went through there twice last week. It's real nice w/o the washing machine effect. It is the most beautiful part of the river in my opinion.

slowinhavasu
08-24-2006, 08:38 PM
It's phuckin great, best thing they have done in years...... :)

RiverPirate
08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
We too passed thru last weekend, it was a great ride and the wife especially enjoyed the smooth no stress pass thru the narrows.

Not So Fast
08-25-2006, 01:19 AM
I was there last weekend too, and after going through, I support the restriction 100%. It was the most pleasant drive through that area, and WAY too many times have I had to get beat up going through that turn. Even downright scared a few more buy some idiot insisting on showing me how fast he can take the turn and how far to the wrong side of the river he can make it.
Weekends on the River were beginning to remind me of Glamis on a holiday weekend, and that's not why we like going to either. :mad:
I was even more amazed at the Police presence both on and off the water. There were at least 6 patrol boats (wildlife, F&G, or sheriff) between the sandbar north through Topock Marina with a bunch of boats being stopped in the wide area by the bridge. :p
Once again, I support this too. Notice the LE weren't stopping people like my wife and I cruising back to Needles. Rather, they stop the boat with 18 people on it and 6 life vests, or the dumbass doing donuts in the middle of the water. :rolleyes:
Flatbillers beware, we are all tired of your $hit!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:
Love your ending, freakin great :wink: NSF

cc322
08-25-2006, 06:42 AM
We drove through there last week and I loved it, like many peeps here first time we really got to enjoy the sceenery. Apositive move imo.

Havasu1986
08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Do you guys think this place will be the new hang out for the big weekends.

cc322
08-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Do you guys think this place will be the new hang out for the big weekends.
Thats exactly what I was wondering. If they put a patrol boat there to keep things rolling then it will not happen.

phebus
08-25-2006, 07:48 AM
There are some small beaches, but there isn't one big area for people to congregate, so I don't see it becoming a hang out area.
What is cool though, is shutting off the boat and just drifting back through the no wake zone when going back downriver. I can see several boats rafting up, and doing this. It would be really cool.

Havasu1986
08-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Morning Phebus Did you close the Firehouse again. Can you anchor in this area.

phebus
08-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Firehouse? Never heard of that place :D
I see no reason you couldn't anchor anywhere in the no wake area, and I was surprised how shallow the area is through there. I was watching my depth gauge, and in the middle of the river, it averaged 6-10 feet. I always thought it was deeper through there, because I was always taught that the terrain on the shore, tended to match the contour of the bottom. That area has some pretty steep cliffs at the waterline, an I just assumed that it would continue underwater, and have some decent depth.

Debbolas
08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
So from the elbow up river how far?
We have seen that part of the river in "slow mo" as our friends rented a pontoon boat that only did 15 mph. We saw big horn sheep, eagles, hawks, goats, racoons, lizards, petragraphs....etc..:D
It is a very pretty part of the river:D

VanDeano
08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
So from the elbow up river how far?
We have seen that part of the river in "slow mo" as our friends rented a pontoon boat that only did 15 mph. We saw big horn sheep, eagles, hawks, goats, racoons, lizards, petragraphs....etc..:D
It is a very pretty part of the river:D
Along with what you saw, we saw "ELVIS".