PDA

View Full Version : Water Softener installation

Cas
08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
anyone here do that? My sister in law is looking to have one installed in Apple Valley.

voodoomedman
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
anyone here do that? My sister in law is looking to have one installed in Apple Valley.
Look in the phone book and start calling. I had Sears do mine and my In-laws just had another company that does there own stuff do theirs. It ended up costing them a few hundred more but they have a lifetime warranty and my softener will probably die in 7-10 years and I'll need a new one. At least at that time I will just by a new one and replace it since all the plumbing is now there but over the long run there's will be cheaper.

lakewake
08-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Does she have one that she needs to be installed or is she looking for one?
If she needs one I can hook her up if she has one I can get you several licenced installers we use.

Cas
08-24-2006, 06:38 PM
lakewake,
She already has the unit, just needs someone to do the install. I don't know what the prices are down that way but the quotes she got of $1800 and then $2400 seems rather excessive.
How about PMing me your email address or a phone number and I'll have her just get the info directly from you?

riverroyal
08-24-2006, 06:45 PM
is it going near the water line coming in the house?Is the line stubbed through the garage?ITs REAL easy to put in,maybe 200$ in parts with good service valves in the line.If it has a LED screen and needs power then maybe the quotes were to run electic also

voodoomedman
08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Mine cost like $700 to install. They had to cut the drywall and tap into the main line coming into the house in the garage. They really raped me to run pvc up the wall to the back down the wall, outside through the wall and then back another 30 feet to the cleanout on the side for the drain. I though $700 sucked but $1800 seems ridiculous.

Cas
08-24-2006, 07:12 PM
well, if you know my sis in law or her fiance, you'd know it everything is difficult unless it's buying crap off ebay :D
I've put a couple in and I know it's not that big of a deal, it's just that I'm in NorCal and they're in Apple Valley. I'm really not too inclined to drive all the way down there just to do that. If anyone has the ability and wants to earn a couple of hundred bucks, I'm sure she would be more than happy to give you a shot.
I have know idea what unit she has, where the water line is or if it needs any electrical work. I guess I can try to find out more if anyone is interested?

YeLLowBoaT
08-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I might be able to get her a better deal. let me make a call in the morning.

ahhell
08-24-2006, 07:30 PM
The high desert has some of the best quality water around, she shouldnt need a softener. about the only thing I miss since leaving that place is the water, well that was in Hesperia :cool:

Cas
08-24-2006, 07:31 PM
ok, I just found out more about the unit they bought. It's a Kenmore that not only has to be plumbed into water supply be it also has to be plumbed into the drain. Apparently it's self flushing, no filter changes necessary and completely automatic.
The nearest place to install is just outside the laundry room for easy access to a drain line. The cost comes in to replumb the water main 40' to where the softener is. I just suggested they return that one and get a model that's easier to install.

voodoomedman
08-24-2006, 07:54 PM
ok, I just found out more about the unit they bought. It's a Kenmore that not only has to be plumbed into water supply be it also has to be plumbed into the drain. Apparently it's self flushing, no filter changes necessary and completely automatic.
The nearest place to install is just outside the laundry room for easy access to a drain line. The cost comes in to replumb the water main 40' to where the softener is. I just suggested they return that one and get a model that's easier to install.
No the plumber is either retarded or trying to make extra money. They can install the softener at the main line and run the pvc pipe for the drain over to the laundry room. The pvc is cheaper and easier to install with glue rather than welding. Mine is done like that to the cleanout outside and my in-laws is done like that to the laundry room. Call the other guy to see if he can hook you up with a competent honest plumber. Or return it and get one of the water softening places to come out. But one that sells and installs the equipment. Not Culligan or something where you don't own crap and have to pay monthly. My in laws used a local guy in chino and everything was like 1500 installed including equipment and it was a super clean install job.

centerhill condor
08-24-2006, 07:54 PM
do yourself a favor and check into pyrolox. All that sodium isn't good for you and if you have an accurate water analysis the pyrolox may serve you better regarding iron, silica, mg and other dissolved solids that a softener can't process as effectively. reverse osmosis technology has all but eliminated softeners in our area. RO may be a little more than you want to get into...just a thought.

Cas
08-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I installed one of the GMX Systems for a customer and they love it. I was doing an addition for them and they asked if I would do the install. Their old unit was removed to get the equipment to the rear of the house for the addition and they decided to get it then.
Here's what it entailed
http://clearwatergmx.com/images/800-3.gif
You should mount these two devices over your main incoming cold water line (pipe) in a location that treats all water consuming appliances and fixtures, including sprinklers and outside hose bibs. This location is usually near your main cold water shut off valve. It may be necessary to place these devices in your basement, attic, outside, or underground as needed.
These two GMX Model 800 devices take up a total of 12" of pipe space and there must be at least 3" of straight pipe (no elbows or Ts) before and after these two devices. This is to minimize the turbulence in the water as it flows through each device. You will need a minimum of 18" of straight pipe to install both devices on the main incoming cold water line (pipe).
GMX treated water will benefit all outside plants and grasses. GMX breaks down the minerals in the water and allows the minerals and water to be more easily absorbed through the root systems. GMX will also make it easier to wash your vehicle and the outside windows of your home. This is why we suggest placing these devices before the main cold water shut off valve. These GMX devices can be buried underground and/or exposed to the outside elements.

lakewake
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
The high desert has some of the best quality water around, she shouldnt need a softener. about the only thing I miss since leaving that place is the water, well that was in Hesperia :cool:
Everywhere in California has hard water. Hesperia has 18-20 gpg(grains per gallon) of hardness. 10 is extremely hard. 10 is about 2 bowling balls worth of disolved solids each month that passes through a home with a family of 4. The only practical way of removing it is ion exchange..water softening. The other two that are not practical is Reverse Osmosis RO. It is what most people know as desalinization. The other is distillation. If you think they have good water in the high desert let me recommend a movie. It is Erin Brockovich.

voodoomedman
08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Everywhere in California has hard water. Hesperia has 18-20 gpg(grains per gallon) of hardness. 10 is extremely hard. 10 is about 2 bowling balls worth of disolved solids each month that passes through a home with a family of 4. The only practical way of removing it is ion exchange..water softening. The other two that are not practical is Reverse Osmosis RO. It is what most people know as desalinization. The other is distillation. If you think they have good water in the high desert let me recommend a movie. It is Erin Brockovich.
Exactly. I never really thought about one until we bought the Havasu house and it is a must out there. I have one at my new house here too. The best part might just be taking all of about 30 seconds to clean the shower. No buildup anywhere.