PDA

View Full Version : Warning! New Ebay Scam!

Boatcop
08-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Just got an email supposedly from an ebay seller, chewing me out for not paying for an item I never bid on. The email looks like it was sent through the ebay message system.
I logged into ebay (not through the link in the message) and guess what... NO MESSAGES!
Went back to the email and checked the link to log in, and yep, it was directed to a fake log in site.
I forwarded the fake message to the ebay "spoof" department.
Word of warning. Never sign in to ebay. PAYPAL or any other financial or auction site through an email link.

HavasuSelect
08-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

OCMerrill
08-25-2006, 05:46 AM
I have also recieved a few of these. They look genuine but if you move your mouse pointer over the link portions of the email they all go to the same login that is not Ebay.
Clever.
There was a run of PayPal stuff that looked prety good as well. Beware.

blown dough
08-25-2006, 05:49 AM
My neighbor was bidding on some tool he won. He sent the money to the guy and everything they were in contact for a few days thru email then a few days went by so he emailed the guy again and the email address was no longer valid. He got ripped off, he turned everything in to the fraud division and ebay, poor guy.

YeLLowBoaT
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have gotten tons of those from paypal, but not ebay( yet).
It really makes you wonder what these ppl could do if they put thier talents to good use.

ratso
08-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Any e-mails from e-bay also show up in your messages... otherwise it is a scam.

mondorally
08-25-2006, 06:07 AM
I had a new one (for me at least). The IRS said they owed me $68.00.... with a link to a scam site of course.
-Justin

robk
08-25-2006, 06:12 AM
For a while, I was receiving similar emails from "banks" in the area. I always got a kick out of the phisher telling me that I needed to "re-enter" my personal information and account number through the conveniently provided link or my "account" would be frozen -- especially since not one of the spoofs was from a bank I had an account with :)
Rob

HocusPocus
08-25-2006, 06:16 AM
once in a while i still get those saying they are from ebay and or paypal... like boatcop said, if you just put your curser over the link and look to where its pointing at, it wont be going to the right place.

RitcheyRch
08-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Been getting those messages for weeks. Also, get messages from them saying they suspending my account until I resolve payment or account information.

lightspeed
08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I Got Alot Of Them Just Log In With A Lewd Message These Guys Are tryin To Scam Anybody They Can Its A Shame Cant Trust Anyone :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

sorry dog
08-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Old recycled scam.
Has anybody ever told you how smart you are?